Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Who decides what ingredients are in scents listed in the fragrance Directory?

I'll look at the ingredients and wonder if they are just opinions or if there is proof anywhere of these ingredients.
    Also, I realize that there are millions of combinations of ingredients out there but...well for instance:

The Drakkar Noir notes on here are...

Top Notes
    Lemon, Lavender, Tangerine

Middle Notes
    Coriander, Juniper

Base Notes
    Patchouli, Oakmoss

But then I'll read somewhere else that there may be pine.

TIA

Default Re: Who decides what ingredients are in scents listed in the fragrance Directory?

I have wondered this same thing. On another site, for a given frag I'll see some different notes listed than those in the BN directory.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Default Re: Who decides what ingredients are in scents listed in the fragrance Directory?

Registered members can submit new fragrances to the directory. They are then approved by a moderator/administrator although I assume many of the fragrances on the site were added by the site administrators themselves (the older ones specifically). I have contributed several fragrances that were missing and I always try to find a reputable source for fragrance notes. However, the note breakdown a contentious thing anyway as it is (a) an abstraction: most fragrances contain few if any natural ingredients and a synthetic molecule does not necessarily smell of one thing--they often have characteristics of many different scents so pinning down what exactly something like Ambroxan lends to a fragrance is a matter of opinion (i.e. the molecule oscillates between the scent of ambergris, labdanum, and blond woods), (b) is often dictated by a fragrance house via official copy and reflects what the marketing department would like to convey and not necessarily what the fragrance actually smells like and (c) is pretty impossible to get exactly right, even with the proper equipment, it still requires a great deal of interpretation.

The truth is note breakdowns are not particularly useful. Identifying the fragrance family is a far better route to go.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Whoever decides what notes are in fragrances in the directory is not doing a good job at it.

I would think reviewers and administrative staff.

I would think that many of the ingredients are just copied from the house's description of a particular scent.

treeman5823

Ehh. Listed notes are just a bunch of crap anyway. If you want a better idea of what goes into your fragrance, look at the back of the box.

Banned
    Blog Entries

kouros having 4 ingredients. yeah right.

I find the note listing about as descriptive as describing a picture by saying it has red, blue, and purple. Not very useful.

I do like how Fragrentica allows users to enter the strength of notes they can smell, which can give a better indication of what a fragrance smells like. Also, the "reminds me of..." list of other fragrances that users think smell similar to it.

Just like andregooren I use the entry form to register fragrances to the directory. The information is usually based on press releases, meaning these are the notes the marketing dept. of the brand would like to convey, so they are the "official" notes, in a way. Trouble is, sometimes they tweak the notes; the notes listed in the brand website can be different from what the launch release listed. Have they tweaked the juice or just played around with the notes? Who knows.

I think the notes are only useful to broadly categorise a scent, to tell if it's a fruity floral or a woody incense.

Going back and looking at older fragrances, they often have a much more complex pyramid with 15-25 notes listed. I think that was from a time when the brands really listed the prominent notes in the fragrance, for the purpose of properly informing the consumer. That's not how it works anymore.

those aren't the ingredients. i think these lists are usually issued by a marketing department. in any case these pyramids don't have too much value.

Blog Entries

l have added fragrances to the directory, using the notes list provided on the fragrance house's website. Where there is no list given, l have used lists from other sites such as Fragrantica.

But as others here have said, these lists are not really "ingredients", & should be taken only as a general guide to how the fragrance might smell. Many times l have picked up a note in a fragrance that isn't listed, & also completely missed a note that is "supposed" to be there. l'm sure this happens to many of us all the time.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Banned
    Blog Entries

fragrantica definitely does a better job, in this aspect, than basenotes