Code of Conduct

Thread: Amouage Tribute

Default Amouage Tribute

Received a sample of Amouage Tribute today. This stuff smells amazing so far. A bottle of this might be in my future. I've read there's been some batch variation so ill need to find out if this sample came from a newer stock bottle.

Default Re: Amouage Tribute

Unlike Homage (which has been watered down), the batches I've smelled so far were always good, though there are subtle differences. Apparently, older batches were more smoky. The one I have, which I bought 1 and a half year ago, is not smoky, but has a very strong tobacco. The top is so strong and mineral that's almost unpleasant, but then when it settles it's rich, deep, and wonderful, and it goes on for ages. I have not smelled this year's batch, though.

cacio

I bought a bottle last fall from MiN New York. Whatever their source is, it was the same as my sample from a couple years ago.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Thanks for the input. After reading about Homage having changes I didn't want to get a different formulation of Tribute.

Since I'm enjoying Tribute are there other fragrances that I should give a try?

Tribute is so powerful and deep that I cannot think of much similar to it in western perfumery (perhaps there are some other attars in the Arabian world?) Have you explored certain leathers or immortelle? Not that they smell anywhere close to it, but they are also deep, rich, and long lasting. Stuff like Sables or 1740 (immortelle), Knize Ten, Onda, or Rien (leathers).

cacio

Should I go with 12ml or 30? Im thinking 30 and possibly sellin my Pure Coffee and Musc Tonkin to help fund it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Should I go with 12ml or 30? Im thinking 30 and possibly sellin my Pure Coffee and Musc Tonkin to help fund it.
    Up to you... I'd suggest though 12 ml.

Used rationally - you do not want to murder but enchant people with it - it should last you a long long time.

It is a great fragrance. With it, less is indeed more.

This is potent stuff, one drop is enough, so I agree with endless, I'd go with the 12ml.

cacio

Welcome to the world of Amouage. Once you're in you can't get out

Well I went with the 12ml from MiN NY. They have a 20% off coupon going now so it brought the price down to $280.00

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I'm definitely feeling this -- it's almost painful waiting to try 'Beloved Man'

How are some of the other attars by Amouage such as Tahani and Bahjah?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    How are some of the other attars by Amouage such as Tahani and Bahjah?
    Don't make me start... you won't be grateful. Many of their other attars are wonderful as well, this is a real money black hole!
    I have Bahjah, Tahani, Salamah, Tahani, Tayyiba, Al-Andalus, Tribute and decants of Al Mas, Basmah, Ohood and Shams Al Doha. I only would sort of regret (although "regret" is not the appropriate word) having Al-Andalus, as it is pretty similar to GIT.
    To your question: Tahani is a nice alternative to Homage, a bit more simple and a little more smoky I would say, but still amazing. Bahjah is a fresh frankincense/oud with a crystal-clear lime note.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Yes, be warned - they are a whole different experience and may enchant you!

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Don't make me start... you won't be grateful. Many of their other attars are wonderful as well, this is a real money black hole!
    I have Bahjah, Tahani, Salamah, Tahani, Tayyiba, Al-Andalus, Tribute and decants of Al Mas, Basmah, Ohood and Shams Al Doha. I only would sort of regret (although "regret" is not the appropriate word) having Al-Andalus, as it is pretty similar to GIT.
    To your question: Tahani is a nice alternative to Homage, a bit more simple and a little more smoky I would say, but still amazing. Bahjah is a fresh frankincense/oud with a crystal-clear lime note.
    Thanks for the input I might have to try to find some samples. Tribute is my first higher priced fragrance purchase. I'm looking forward to trying the rest of the line such as Jubilation XXV.

Just to offer an opinion: among Amouage attars I am familiar - I own (owned) Homage, Tribute, Al-Andalus, Salamah and Tahani [only].

Are they all very every good? No question about it. However, as long as one has Homage and Tribute, the other three mentioned seem redundant. Al-Andalus seems a tad unrefined, and, as good as Salamah and Tahani are (and perfectly legitimate to own for somebody who can't afford Homage), the quality of rose in those two is just not the same.

Of course if I had money to burn I'd want to own all of those Amouage attars!!

What I'd be interested to know is which of them is equally good as TR. or HO. and original enough to be worth the bother.

i'm also currently in hunting for the white box 30ml of Tribute & Homage - the pre-reformulate version
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Totally agree.

12ml should last a loooooong time...

If I enjoy the rose in Oud Isaphan, Aoud Lime, and Black Aoud would Homage white box be something that might interest me?

I bought a 30ml bottle last year. It is wonderful. The batch variations are one particular batch from a year ago that was sort of a meaty hickory smoke, but the batches since are wonderful. You will probably only need a small bottle, b/c 3 drops on the glass stopper will last you all day. Homage is nice, in fact I haven't smelled an Amouage Attar I didn't like. Look for splits.

Received my bottle of Tribute last night. I'm not detecting any batch variation between my sample and bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by EndlesslySurprised View Post
    as good as Salamah and Tahani are (and perfectly legitimate to own for somebody who can't afford Homage), the quality of rose in those two is just not the same.
    How does the rose in Gold compare? I know that's not one of their best, but the rose in it was unbearable for me.

I really want to try more of Amouage's offers as I love Dia Man- until Gold Man a few days ago, Dia had been the only one I'd been exposed to.

I so want this in my collection. ASF have this for $493 for 30ml bottle?

- - - Updated - - -

I so want this in my collection. ASF have this for $493 for 30ml bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    i'm also currently in hunting for the white box 30ml of Tribute & Homage - the pre-reformulate version
    This guy had them recently, Tribute 30ml, Homage 12ml.:-
    http://www.universalperfumesandcosme...product_id=310

I've bought the old Homage from him, have 2 ask how he ships 'though as I don't remember, other than it was not delivered here by Royal Mail.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    How does the rose in Gold compare? I know that's not one of their best, but the rose in it was unbearable for me.
    Nothing to do with it. I am not able to distinguish individual notes in such a complex concoction like Gold, but the total effect is completely different (and unpleasant, to my nose) from any Amouage attar. Even if Salamah and Tahani may not have the famous Taifi rose, the rose there is still high quality, still recognizable, still pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    This guy had them recently, Tribute 30ml, Homage 12ml.:-
    http://www.universalperfumesandcosme...product_id=310

I've bought the old Homage from him, have 2 ask how he ships 'though as I don't remember, other than it was not delivered here by Royal Mail.
    I emailed him the other day he does still have a few Homage 12ml in the white box left. I almost hit the buy button but since I haven't tried it yet didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell it if I didn't enjoy it.

The Homage is not the really original, most rosy stuff, but way better than the new imo.
    Last edited by lpp; 8th March 2013 at 06:29 PM.

I do have the white boxes... both Tribute and Homage. I am using them parsimoniously but not only because they are precious, but because they smell better, imo, the less you use!

In fact I transfer occasionally like one ml small vials and use them from there, less than a drop. If I use the glass stopper it's simply too much for me.

Treasure them - but enjoy them too

Thanks, Ipp, what I was trying to say was that I use them in such minute quantities not mainly because they are expensive/rare (the white boxes soon unfindable), but because I find them better appreciated with the lightest possible application.

If I had a 100 bottles stash I don't think I would use them too differently ( :

Yes, sorry, meant be happy that you have such gems (as many will never know them now), but enjoy them too
    Agree that they go a long way - new stuff does not compare, Homage anyway.

Thank you Ipp for your positive thoughts (-:

Smelled this at a local perfume shop. Powerful stuff.

I would love to try the Amouage Tribute.. does anyone know anywhere in the uk you can try it?

Harrods, The Royal Gift Box, (both "Bricks & Mortar" but sell online too) and others.
    The Amouage website lists stockists but stock levels vary from time to time.
    The price appears to be pretty standard across Europe last time I looked, but I don't personally know anyone in the U.K. selling the original version (white box).

Thanks lpp next time im in London im going to try it.. dont know when i will be able to afford to buy it though!

I bought my bottle of Amouage Tribute from Zahras.com last fall. I was happy with it. The batch variations scare was overblown. I tested a number of different batches of Tribute before I bought (the lacquered red box) and there was only one 2011 batch that had a meats smoke smell to it. Like smoked bacon. The sample had been sitting in a shop for a long time, and may have not been stored right. The shop didn't even sell the stuff, just had a vile with 0.25ml in the bottom sitting on a shelf. I posted a thread asking about batch variations, and all of a sudden people started questioning batch variations. I know it was over-blown. far as I can tell, the roumors started back in July. That world-famous Fragrance expert Possum-Pie (who is on forced one month holiday from BN) also found the one bad batch. As far as I can tell, all the rest are fine. Here is the thread that seems to have started it all...http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...tch-variations
    Last edited by Diogenes65; 9th March 2013 at 10:53 AM.

@ Diogenes65
    Zahra's normally post EMS or parcel post to U.K.
    At the moment, both could be a gamble (due to x-raying/destruction issues) if shipping to U.K.
    I checked the EMS site & their stuff is delivered here by R.M. Parcelforce.
    Oils may be a 'grey area" - might arrive, might not arrive depending on the individual understanding of staff.
    I didn't fancy paying $40 EMS shipping to discover for myself & have explained our current problems to them & also my sadness.
    Hopefully, they may find an alternative shipper, but suggest asking first.
    I was annoyed, as I wanted to order something myself!
    Not sure which country you are in.

Homage has been re-formulated, I believe Tribute has been too. I assume due to IFRA stuff?
    There is a thread in the MFD archive 'Amouage Tribute Attar - how do I know which formulation i'm buying?'
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...mulation-i-m-b

You're welcome The Pieman! Enjoy it.
    Last edited by lpp; 10th March 2013 at 09:45 AM.