Code of Conduct

Default Cuir Beluga vs. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

This isn't a which one should I buy thread.
    Wanted others' thoughts on which one you like better? I have a bottle of CB and decant of SDV. Really like them both. Wondering which is preferred by others and which occasions you find to wear them.

Default Re: Cuir Beluga vs. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I love them both. I think there different enough to own both also. Cant really pick one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    I love them both. I think there different enough to own both also. Cant really pick one over the other.
    Do you find one to be more versatile than the other? One that gets more compliments?

I think SDV projects more than CB. CB stays a bit closer to skin - and I feel more comfortable wearing it to work. Since SDV has the boozy thing and projects strong, I'm less likely to wear to work but more likely to wear on a night out!

I would love impressions on these as well, along with Tonka Imperial, if there is an individual who is blessed enough to own all three that would like to share their experience

I have also sampled TI.

my impressions, and hope to get more discussion.

TI is less to my liking vs. SDV because I'm more a vanilla fan than a tonka fan. I think that's big when comparing the two. If you like vanillas, you will probably prefer SDV over TI. TI has more of a almond marzipan thing going. Nice scent, but I am a sucker for a good vanilla. At first I didn't like SDV because I dismissed it as just too sweet, over-the-top decandent pure-vanilla extract type vanilla. But as I wore it, I appreciate it now more as a boozy vanilla and the booze aspect (the spiritueuse of SDV) makes it a bit more masculine and edgy that just dismissing it as a sweet feminine vanilla (it is quite sweet). I'm a big fan. But I don't feel as comfortable wearing this to work, for example, as it projects big and is very sweet.

Cuir Beluga is not a leather at all, so don't expect leather. CB is what I consider a smooth, elegant and more than just "a vanilla scent". I dare say more complex than SDV. It's why I got a full bottle of this. I can confortably wear this to work and basically anywhere. Opens a bit like a hot fudge sundae, but much more complex than that. But not quite as edgy and doesn't project as well as CB.

I think of CB has classy, SDV as decadent. Both have their role. This is my opinion and would like to hear others. I really like them a lot.

If push came to shove I would pick Tonka Imperiale as a favourite - it is a pretty solid representation of the Guerlainade that can be found in 180 Ans, Quand Vient la Pluie, Apres l'Ondee vintage Extrait, Mon Precieux Nectar etc. that's not toooo sweet. It's a comfort scent, really and if you don't own any of the aforementioned I would recommend it as a good Guerlain reference.

An aside - all three mentioned (CB, SDV, TI) are IMO quite 'sweet' altho how you read that word is ultimately subjective. A lot of guys seem to favour stuff that I perceive as a bit too sweet, i.e. Tobacco Vanille, so if you can wear that these three should be no problem.

I have a bottle of Cuir Beluga and regret buying it - it's good but there's an annoying note in there, I'm assuming immortelle, that wears me out. I prefer Daim Blond for this sort of suede effect. It's an arresting composition, just not my thing.

SDV is okay, the boozy intro is fun and I agree that it's a good (casual) night out scent but I find it a bit relentless in the end - I got a couple of the tubes that came with the Jean Paul Guerlain book and that's more than enough for me.

They are all light years ahead of a lot of the stuff out there so in the end you can't really go wrong with any of them - just a question of the effect you are after.

I'm not a fan, nor do I own them, so I cannot comment on getting compliments (I don't get any anyway). I find CB pleasant and agreeable, but kind of uninspiring. But for this reason I don't think it will encounter any objection. I don't like SDV, it's too strong and boozy, it reminds me of the Italian ice cream flavor once called malaga (rhum and vanilla), certainly not something I want to wear. But if I recall previous threads here, it seems SDV has many lovers. So I'd say if you want to go with something safer, CB; if you really have a soft spot for SDV, and are willing to endure some turn-downs, but also some loves by others, then SDV. Still, I find things like, say, Caron pour un homme or Shalimar vastly superior in vanillic territories.

Probably I'd prefer TI to the two. Not that it is particularly inspiring either, but I feel it more refined and complex than CB.

EDIT: didn't see your latest post. I think you nailed the difference between the two - so it's really what you want. Perhaps what you should take from my post is that SDV could come off as ice cream to some. Not a good thing in my book.

cacio

I definitely prefer Cuir Beluga.

Although I own neither, I prefer Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I Would Prefer Cuir Beluga As Well.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Does anyone else find Spiriteuse Double Vanille extremely overrated? I mean, maybe I'm not the person who should be making the judgment call here, but I'm not a complete fragrance ignoramus either. I found it incredibly boring with just little to no redeeming value to justify that price.

I have SDV and CB (and TI) and SDV is my favorite and also IMHO the best vanilla frag.

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinent View Post
    Does anyone else find Spiriteuse Double Vanille extremely overrated? I mean, maybe I'm not the person who should be making the judgment call here, but I'm not a complete fragrance ignoramus either. I found it incredibly boring with just little to no redeeming value to justify that price.
    It's a tough one. SDV is not an in your face scent - it is a beautiful vanilla - but fairly one dimensional - or should I say - linear. so i see what you mean by boring. i don't think it's over-rated though, as is it what it is, and the best of what it is.

I love SDV but wear it rarely...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    If push came to shove I would pick Tonka Imperiale as a favourite - it is a pretty solid representation of the Guerlainade that can be found in 180 Ans, Quand Vient la Pluie, Apres l'Ondee vintage Extrait, Mon Precieux Nectar etc. that's not toooo sweet. It's a comfort scent, really and if you don't own any of the aforementioned I would recommend it as a good Guerlain reference.

An aside - all three mentioned (CB, SDV, TI) are IMO quite 'sweet' altho how you read that word is ultimately subjective. A lot of guys seem to favour stuff that I perceive as a bit too sweet, i.e. Tobacco Vanille, so if you can wear that these three should be no problem.

I have a bottle of Cuir Beluga and regret buying it - it's good but there's an annoying note in there, I'm assuming immortelle, that wears me out. I prefer Daim Blond for this sort of suede effect. It's an arresting composition, just not my thing.

SDV is okay, the boozy intro is fun and I agree that it's a good (casual) night out scent but I find it a bit relentless in the end - I got a couple of the tubes that came with the Jean Paul Guerlain book and that's more than enough for me.

They are all light years ahead of a lot of the stuff out there so in the end you can't really go wrong with any of them - just a question of the effect you are after.
    Heed carefully the words of the Reasonable one - he speaks with great wisdom.

Damn you MR - now I have to get a decant of TI.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've owned both and given them both away, if I had to choose it would be Cuir Beluga. They are both too femme for me, but I found CB to be more.........pleasant.

Banned

SDV should come with apron, it feels like i am in the kitchen making vanilla bourbon rum cake, why is it nice to smell of food and not of air freshener?

:-)

CB is better vanilla for my taste, but still my favourite is Vanilia, L Artisan, that smells like a proper perfume

Guerlain is so boring with those vanilla scents i was thinking why on earth someone needs 3 of a kind? Profit? Certainly not artistic reasons:-) ...the answer came in the article today vanilla reminds people of mothers milk? Lol

I was never on mothers milk, and vanilla was never my fav...note :-)
    Last edited by iivanita; 24th February 2013 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    SDV should come with apron, it feels like i am in the kitchen making vanilla bourbon rum cake, why is it nice to smell of food and not of air freshener?

:-)

CB is better vanilla for my taste, but still my favourite is Vanilia, L Artisan, that smells like a proper perfume

Guerlain is so boring with those vanilla scents i was thinking why on earth someone needs 3 of a kind? Profit? Certainly not artistic reasons:-) ...the answer came in the article today vanilla reminds people of mothers milk? Lol

Thanks for the input. I definitely understand what you mean. Sometimes I'll wear these great smelling sweet scents but then wonder to myself "this is what I want to smell like? Is this what a man smells like?" LOL.

The L Artisan you're referring to - is that the one that was discontinued? Or did they rename it and is it currently available?

Banned

Yes the discontinued one, its the most simple scent i have, with the most amazing variations of smell i get....yilang-vanilla and some woods? Sandalwood......the more i talk about it the more i like it lol...and must say i could not wear it when i bought it...i hated banana smell, then it just cklicked in my head banana is yilang and since then i adore it:-)

Btw would be lovely to know if people who love vanilla were on mothers milk?

Did not see here many lovers of Vanilia:-)

L'artisan still has a vanilla scent, I think it's called Vanille Absoluement. Very good (and superior to SDV). But it's not a reformulation of Vanilia, which was very fun, almost outrageous.

I was not on mothers milk, and I am relatively neutral to vanilla.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    It's a tough one. SDV is not an in your face scent - it is a beautiful vanilla - but fairly one dimensional - or should I say - linear. so i see what you mean by boring. i don't think it's over-rated though, as is it what it is, and the best of what it is.

I love SDV but wear it rarely...
    Thanks for the great input! I guess it's just one of those scents that are well made in their simplicity?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    L'artisan still has a vanilla scent, I think it's called Vanille Absoluement. Very good (and superior to SDV). But it's not a reformulation of Vanilia, which was very fun, almost outrageous.

I was not on mothers milk, and I am relatively neutral to vanilla.

cacio
    So you see:-) the same as me, vanilla was the last thing i thought is great perfume note, i was thinking,.... why i need a cake in my perfume:-) and vanilla was so ordinary note everyone knows and still people go crazy about it? Why? :-) could not understand honestly

....i love Vanilia because its more yilang and sandalwood, then straight gourmand vanilla scent...i love something medicinal it has, cant explain...its the most peculiar experience i had with one scent...from beeing almost sick wearing it to loving it......i can still buy it here in Croatia...thats good thing but last examples of it .....i dont like boooziness in perfume except everlasting flowers

In the cold weather SDV is my ultimate date scent. It just has the right amount of thickness, projection, sweetness and appeal. People just seem to be drawn to me when I wear it. CB falls flat for me in terms of a vanilla-leather combo... it just smells flat and I don't find myself reaching for my sample at all. CB seems to be more versatile in office, school and family gatherings where as SDV can be used more with special occasions.

I actually liked both somewhat, but would never pay anywhere near the asking price for SDV. Cuir Beluga is very unique, but one of those more "impressive creation rather than enjoyable smelling" types to me. I would really struggle with a time to wear it, and I think it could be pretty risky when it comes to turning others off. I could see SDV as a good night time/date scent and pretty safe

As for comparing them, I didn't find them similar at all! Certainly not redundant in anyway to my nose.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

I own Cuir Beluga, and love it!! I love everlasting flower(wanted to use the other name). I think Tonka Imperial is the best by far.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Cb > TI > SDV