Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best aquatic???

Default Best aquatic???

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before but so has DHI, Aventus, AMen flankers, etc. Plus...it's a new year!

Anyway, I have all kinds of fragrances from DHI to TdH to MI to New Haarlem. But I feel I'm lacking a true aquatic. What are people's opinions on the best aquatics? Thanks...and if you're going to comment on the search function or how this has been discussed before - then just move on to the next topic...
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Best aquatic???

Allure sport but for more aquatic Id say Versace Pour homme but then again its personal preference

Creed Millesime Imperial.

I dislike aquatics, so I have not included one in my collection yet. But I must say that a BNer sent me a sample of Laroche Horizon, and somehow I didn't find it too bad; but it was only an occasional wear with a few drops.

If instead you want the full evil power of the genre, I'd suggest Tirrenico by I profumi del forte, a less intelligent child of Sec Mag.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    +1

And I'll add Heeley Sel Marin.

This. Need to find a good strong batch of it though.

Sound Scents

This.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Gai Mattiolo per uomo

I guess I should be more specific. I do have MI, which I love, but I understand many people aren't so into "non-traditional" and niche fragrances. I'm looking for something basic I can wear to work and if people don't directly compliment it they will at least say to themselves, "He smells nice". I have AdG but I'd like to branch out to something at least a bit more unique than the biggest seller of the past decade and a half.
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

Bulgari Aqua, Erolfa, Kenzo pH for me

Another for Sel Marin

Sur la Plage

Hugh Parsons (Blue)
    Aramis New West for Him
    Guy Laroche Horizon
    Christiane Celle Calypso Marine
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Amouage Ciel

YSL L'Homme Summer Fragrance 2008

Erolfa is the most realistic, smelling of seawater and seaweed, but the aquatic genre includes a wide spectrum of everything from sandy-aquatics like Ciel, to fruity aquatics like MI, to chilly, cold aquatics like SMW.

1. Amouage Ciel (new formula)
    2. Millesime Imperial
    3. Xerjoff Mefisto
    4. Erolfa
    5. Silver Mountain Water
    6. Amouage Arcus
    7. Prelude to Love
    8. Unforgivable Multi Platinum
    9. Bond Wall Street
    10. L'Artisan Fleur Di Liane (more suitable for women, but unisex enough)

Honorable mention to both Eau De Cartiers, Mattiolo Oumo, and Maxims Orphee.

Hugh Parsons Blue

Bulgari Aqua

You could change the title of this thread to "Best Cologne" and it will still be Acqua Di Gio
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

My favorite aquatics are cheapies. Nautica Voyage and Blue Seduction. They are similar, but I prefer Blue Seduction to it slightly. Bvlgari Aqva Marine is pretty good too, Aqva is ok as well.

Bvlagri Aqua. Try it.

Bulgari Aqua and Horizon (Guy Laroche) truly remind me of salt water.

However, my favorite is Aramis New West for Him. Though not strictly an aquatic scent, it is about as fresh as I care to smell.

Givenchy blue label

Givenchy pi neo tropical paradise

Bvlgari aqva
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

My favorite is Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Eau d'Ete Summer Edition 2009.

I promote the hell out of this one--I think it's great.

Guerlain Homme L'Eau, while not technically an aquatic, is a great "icy fresh" fragrance that you may want to look at as an alternative. I wear it to work and get lots of compliments on it, but it never comes off strange or overpowering to others. It's an excellent work frag.

Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    and if you're going to comment on the search function or how this has been discussed before - then just move on to the next topic...
    Were you anticipating some hate mail?

Bulgari Aqua.

L'Eau Par Kenzo

Simple, good for the office.

But it does smell more like a freshly cleaned swimming pool than the sea...

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    I guess I should be more specific. I do have MI, which I love, but I understand many people aren't so into "non-traditional" and niche fragrances. I'm looking for something basic I can wear to work and if people don't directly compliment it they will at least say to themselves, "He smells nice". I have AdG but I'd like to branch out to something at least a bit more unique than the biggest seller of the past decade and a half.
    Bellagio for Men
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Banned

Bulgari Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari - Initially, one is slapped with a bitter citrus, provided by the sharp grapefruit and sour neroli brigarade, slowy tempered by the fruitiness of sweet melons and somewhat medicinal cucumber. From afar, a sprinkling of saltiness beckons the invigorating opening to its waiting middle. Here, in the heart, a magnificent stew brews with the pine-like, tangy rosemary flower, coupled with what I venture to say is calone with its watery, marine and ozone accord as well as posidonia, with its sea grass, vegetal highlight and oceanic spiciness, to furnish a delightful, fresh, seashore apparition. Transitioning to its untroubled base, white cedarwood with its crisp, dry and clean woodiness carries the piece to its comforting drydown. This unique, brine composition, a treat to be enjoyed in the warm weather of spring and summer, has good projection and average longevity.

I'm not very fond of aquatics but there are two that stand out...

Tirrenico which is anything but similar to Secretion Magnifique as it completely lacks the flowers (with the exception of a tad of jasmine in the heart) and the milky accord. Instead is a clean white musky/mossy composition with fennel galore and some resins.
    Sel Marin which is a very nice concoction of salty vetiver, cedarwood and bergamot.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dependent

Bvlgari Aqva
    Bvlgari Aqva Marine

Aramis - New West

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    YSL L'Homme Summer Fragrance 2008
    Completely, absolutely, unequivocally agree.

So far, I only like Horizon. With the others I've tried there is a horrendous "chemical" quality that makes me feel like vomiting after a while.

Acqua Di Gio.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    So far, I only like Horizon. With the others I've tried there is a horrendous "chemical" quality that makes me feel like vomiting after a while.
    Ditto for me. Horizon is the only aquatic in this aquatic-hater's collection. Guy Laroche did a good job with that one.

Christiane Celle Calypso Marine
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I'm not very big on aquatics either but I have a sample of D&G Light Blue and I'm very impressed with it so far.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    My favorite aquatics are cheapies. Nautica Voyage and Blue Seduction. They are similar, but I prefer Blue Seduction to it slightly. Bvlgari Aqva Marine is pretty good too, Aqva is ok as well.
    nautica voyage is one of my favs plus very cheap. and ADG once in a while so it doesnt get boring

I also forgot, Izod is an amazing one.. a bit of a kiwi note in it that makes in interesting to me.

Kenzo pour Homme

Hate to say it, but Silver Mountain Water is probably the best in terms of smell. Shame it has a 15 minute longevity.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by We Came As Romans View Post
    I'm not very big on aquatics either but I have a sample of D&G Light Blue and I'm very impressed with it so far.
    D&G Light Blue is very good - D&G Light Blue pour Homme is not.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Davidoff Coolwater - Nothing beats the original

Aquatics should be banned.

Can you imagine being a "nose" and having to concoct a "Celebrity Aquatic" for some client.

And you thought how galmorous it would be to be a "nose".

I'd rather design a new toilet cover.
    Last edited by thebeck; 4th January 2012 at 02:59 PM.

Kenzo ph <- very underrated

Quote Originally Posted by SexInABottle View Post
    Davidoff Coolwater - Nothing beats the original
    Original? Then don't you mean Green Irish Tweed?

Also, like the poster above, some people say Silver Mountain Water doesn't last long. With me, I have to be very careful when applying mine. For one, the Creed sprayer will drench you, but my SMW is so potent it will choke you out in no time. I actually don't wear it very often because it is so strong. The scent lasts all day on me, and I mean ALL DAY... PERIOD!

I also like Bvlgari Aqva, but the seaweed smell is a tad much sometimes for me. Aqva Marine is terrible, it makes me sick to my stomach and it is so strong that one spray in my office has people walking by complaining about the stink. I received a 10ml spray from Bvlgari as a sample. I couldn't handle it, so I brought it into work and offered it to some coworkers. They smelled it, and all said no thanks. I have tried using it as a room freshener, but it takes a tiny, tiny spritz and even then the smell is not good. My 2 cents (well, and others that also complained)

I wear ADG, it's good, but the strength isn't something that projects very well on me.

I personally (and my wife) do NOT like L'eau D'issey for men. She does however wear the parfum version of the ladies.
    Heeley Sel Marin..... this one really surprised me. I had received a sample of their Cuir Pleine Fleur and disliked it so much, that it took nearly a year before finally decided to sample something else. Sel Marin is DIFFERENT!!! It is definitely aquatic, and probably the closest at resembling something like a walk on the beach. It is strong, fresh, salty and enjoyable. I'm not sure if I'll ever buy a bottle.... but maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    Original? Then don't you mean Green Irish Tweed?

Also, like the poster above, some people say Silver Mountain Water doesn't last long. With me, I have to be very careful when applying mine. For one, the Creed sprayer will drench you, but my SMW is so potent it will choke you out in no time. I actually don't wear it very often because it is so strong. The scent lasts all day on me, and I mean ALL DAY... PERIOD!

I also like Bvlgari Aqva, but the seaweed smell is a tad much sometimes for me. Aqva Marine is terrible, it makes me sick to my stomach and it is so strong that one spray in my office has people walking by complaining about the stink. I received a 10ml spray from Bvlgari as a sample. I couldn't handle it, so I brought it into work and offered it to some coworkers. They smelled it, and all said no thanks. I have tried using it as a room freshener, but it takes a tiny, tiny spritz and even then the smell is not good. My 2 cents (well, and others that also complained)

I wear ADG, it's good, but the strength isn't something that projects very well on me.

I personally (and my wife) do NOT like L'eau D'issey for men. She does however wear the parfum version of the ladies.
    Heeley Sel Marin..... this one really surprised me. I had received a sample of their Cuir Pleine Fleur and disliked it so much, that it took nearly a year before finally decided to sample something else. Sel Marin is DIFFERENT!!! It is definitely aquatic, and probably the closest at resembling something like a walk on the beach. It is strong, fresh, salty and enjoyable. I'm not sure if I'll ever buy a bottle.... but maybe.
    GIT smells nothing like CW to me.. like comparing apples to oranges..

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Bulgari Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari - Initially, one is slapped with a bitter citrus, provided by the sharp grapefruit and sour neroli brigarade, slowy tempered by the fruitiness of sweet melons and somewhat medicinal cucumber. From afar, a sprinkling of saltiness beckons the invigorating opening to its waiting middle. Here, in the heart, a magnificent stew brews with the pine-like, tangy rosemary flower, coupled with what I venture to say is calone with its watery, marine and ozone accord as well as posidonia, with its sea grass, vegetal highlight and oceanic spiciness, to furnish a delightful, fresh, seashore apparition. Transitioning to its untroubled base, white cedarwood with its crisp, dry and clean woodiness carries the piece to its comforting drydown. This unique, brine composition, a treat to be enjoyed in the warm weather of spring and summer, has good projection and average longevity.
    This one is the best...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    GIT smells nothing like CW to me.. like comparing apples to oranges..
    That's crazy. I think GIT is a lot better, but the smell is basically the same. My wife is not big on scents, but when I first tried GIT, she instantly said it smell like Cool Water.

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Givenchy Blue Label

Givenchy Pi Neo Tropical Paradise

Bvlgari Aqva
    And I'll add: Bvlgari Aqua Marine and Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Solo Loewe Intense EDC

I know it's cliche, but for me, ADG is really my favorite true aquatic. It became as popular as it is for a reason; namely, it's really good. Also, for a more unique, left field take on a summer fragrance, give Mugler's Ice Men a try. It's an icy watery patchouli with menthol and nutmeg up top. As I said, it's not really a true aquatic, but is a nice take on a different type of summer scent.

I like AdG. I don't personally consider MI to be an aquatic. Both are utterly brilliant designs. Wish AdG lasted longer.

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Member

AHS and Bvlgari Aqua are my favorites...cheersss

As per username and trying anything that's in a blue bottle:

Lacoste Essential and Erolfa

Kenzo Pour Homme a very authentic aquatic.

Versace Man Eau Fraiche, Cartier Roadster.

I agree with drseid, Bellagio is cheap and good. Still cheap. I owned it and it was fantastic in the summer. Funky bottle. IMO, beat AdG and leaves money left over for a sammich and beer at your fave pub.

Kenzo Pour Homme: Ol' "seaweed and beer"...angular, fresh, salty, yet strangely appealing. Think if Quentin Tarantino blended fragrances instead of making movies.

Fujiyama: Cheap yet practical. A seemingly blatant rip-off of L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme. You've blown $22 on worst stuff, believe me.

Horizon by Guy Laroche: I'm with others on this one. Good stuff.

Kenneth Cole Reaction: I feel this is very "aquatic", has a great summery feel. And, it kinda smells like watermelons. Can't get more aquatic than a fruit that has "water" in its name, right?

D&G light blue. And AQUA DI GIO