Code of Conduct

Default Do I have to buy the atomizer bottle to get the refills from By Kilian? Help me out!

I recently emailed By Kilian with questions regarding the refills that I planned to buy (the 50 ml refills that costs 100 euros less than the actual bottle)
    They answered me back by telling me that I have to own the pricey bottle in order to get the refills, which again costs 100 euros less than the actual bottle. What do they mean by this? I've seen many people here on Basenotes talking about themselves buying the refill and decanting them into they're own atomizers. Has the rules been changed at the By Kilian house? Do I really need to own the regular bottle first? Or are they just trying to get me to buy the pricey but beautiful bottle? Help me out!

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: After reading several threads, I'm confused... Alot of people says that I have to buy the original bottle in order to get the refills. Others have said that you don't need to have the original bottle. What the hell should I believe in?

Default Re: Do I have to buy the atomizer bottle to get the refills from By Kilian? Help me out!

I have bought back to black and dangerous liaisons both the actual bottle.

But I think if you buy else then on the kilian site, you sure can buy a refill or travel spray.

Default Re: Do I have to buy the atomizer bottle to get the refills from By Kilian? Help me out!

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I have bought back to black and dangerous liaisons both the actual bottle.

But I think if you buy else then on the kilian site, you sure can buy a refill or travel spray.
    That didn't really answer my question, but thanks anyway!

Sound Scents

No, you can just buy the refills by themselves (as I have). No By Kilian atomizer is needed (but you will want to have at least a generic one available if you want to spray the refill instead of using it as a splash).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

drseid is right: no need to buy the fancy bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    No, you can just buy the refills by themselves (as I have). No By Kilian atomizer is needed (but you will want to have at least a generic one available if you want to spray the refill instead of using it as a splash).
    That's good to hear!
    I wonder why they said that I needed to buy the original bottle then :/ liars!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    That's good to hear!
    The whole idea behind them offering refills is to refill the bottle you had already purchased from them, not purchase the refill and use your own atomizer without ever purchasing the original bottle. Basically, their response is exactly what one would or should expect to hear when asking the question you did.

That being said, I have never purchased any of their fragrances in the nice packaging, only refill bottles.

That didn't really answer my question, but thanks anyway!
    Well I was only making the suggestion that if buying a refill is a problem at the By Kilian site you can easily buy it online on a respected perfume shop.

Sorry for not having answered your question in a satisfactory way.

No you don't...I've walked into a saks bought a refil bottle and walked out. You don't seen the original bottle or travel atomizer. You can provide your own.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    The whole idea behind them offering refills is to refill the bottle you had already purchased from them, not purchase the refill and use your own atomizer without ever purchasing the original bottle. Basically, their response is exactly what one would or should expect to hear when asking the question you did.

That being said, I have never purchased any of their fragrances in the nice packaging, only refill bottles.
    Well, I do agree that's the answer one should expect, we should add it's the answer one should expect from a "snobby" company.

I've been to the Malle boutique on Madison avenue several times to purchase travel sprays and never did they say to me that I had to own the original bottle to purchase the travel sprays. I understand it's different, but not too different. Not everyone can afford the $200 + that they ask me people to spend on a mere 50 ml. So instead of allowing someone to enter their product price range at a lower price point and familiarize themselves with the brand, they tell them to kick rocks? Nice.

I understand that that's one way to do business, but in my mind it's a bad way to do business. And it's a shame that people would come to expect that that's the proper response to a company. But then again when you're heir to the LVMH fortune I guess that you grow up a certain way and think lesser of those who have to work and scrimp and scrape to buy their luxuries.

This really turned me off to their brand. I've purchased samples of Back to Black (that's probably a felony to By Kilian) and believe it to the the most overrated fragrance that I've ever smelled. Almost a joke, concentrated cherry cola syrup. I was going to explore the line further, but after hearing this story I'll pass and continue to give my hard earned money to Malle and Tauer and other brands that just want people to experience their craft and not shell out hundreds of dollars for gimmicky bottles, that really seem like they belong in a basement in Transylvania somewhere.

Maximilian.

Where are good places to buy By Kilian fragrances shipped to Canada?

This. I bought a 30ml refill of Back to Black and I do not own the original bottle. IMO, for those of you, like me, who don't care about owning the nice bottle with all the bells & whistles and prefer to reduce costs, the Kilian refills are the way to go.

What's also a bit comical, is that the price per ml of the 30ml refill is less than the 50ml refill.

As drseid also mentioned, you would need to get a spray atomizer separately. Those are pretty cheap though, you can get it for around 5 to 10 bucks from ebay.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mheusler View Post
    Well, I do agree that's the answer one should expect, we should add it's the answer one should expect from a "snobby" company.

I've been to the Malle boutique on Madison avenue several times to purchase travel sprays and never did they say to me that I had to own the original bottle to purchase the travel sprays. I understand it's different, but not too different. Not everyone can afford the $200 + that they ask me people to spend on a mere 50 ml. So instead of allowing someone to enter their product price range at a lower price point and familiarize themselves with the brand, they tell them to kick rocks? Nice.

I understand that that's one way to do business, but in my mind it's a bad way to do business. And it's a shame that people would come to expect that that's the proper response to a company. But then again when you're heir to the LVMH fortune I guess that you grow up a certain way and think lesser of those who have to work and scrimp and scrape to buy their luxuries.

This really turned me off to their brand. I've purchased samples of Back to Black (that's probably a felony to By Kilian) and believe it to the the most overrated fragrance that I've ever smelled. Almost a joke, concentrated cherry cola syrup. I was going to explore the line further, but after hearing this story I'll pass and continue to give my hard earned money to Malle and Tauer and other brands that just want people to experience their craft and not shell out hundreds of dollars for gimmicky bottles, that really seem like they belong in a basement in Transylvania somewhere.

Maximilian.
    Sorry, but I think you are wrong in your assessment. I find it commendable that Kilian offers refill bottles. Let's say you purchased a 50ml bottle of Malle, you have run through the bottle, can you purchase a refill for that bottle at a lower price? No. With Kilian you can.

I wish more companies would offer such a program. Can you tell me how many companies offers refill program, where you can purchase a refill for substantially less than the original purchase? Not many.

In regards to the Malle travel spray, you are paying more per ml then if you purchased 50ml bottle, so it is no bargain You can do the same for Kilian, as they also offer a travel setup, and here again, they offer a refill program for the travel set, and beleive it or not will actually cost you less per ml than the 50ml refill bottle.

If you really want to get Kilian refills, it is easy, go to one of their stockists, and they will be more than happy to sell them to you, no questions asked.

Sorry, but I think you are wrong in your assessment. I find it commendable that Kilian offers refill bottles. Let's say you purchased a 50ml bottle of Malle, you have run through the bottle, can you purchase a refill for that bottle at a lower price? No. With Kilian you can.

I wish more companies would offer such a program. Can you tell me how many companies offers refill program, where you can purchase a refill for substantially less than the original purchase? Not many.

In regards to the Malle travel spray, you are paying more per ml then if you purchased 50ml bottle, so it is no bargain You can do the same for Kilian, as they also offer a travel setup, and here again, they offer a refill program for the travel set, and beleive it or not will actually cost you less per ml than the 50ml refill bottle.

If you really want to get Kilian refills, it is easy, go to one of their stockists, and they will be more than happy to sell them to you, no questions asked.
    I understand your prespective, I do, but we just look at the whole thing very differently. Kilian offering the refills for many is the only way that they can experience the brand. A 100 ml bottle of Kilian would run close to $500. I think anyone who pays those kind of prices for this kind of fragrance is bugging. So yes, maybe the refills at are a discount, but some discount.....

But my opinion on whether the scent is worth the price is my own, and obviously we're all free to differ. I do acknowledge for that those willing to shell out for the Kilian fragrances, it is a discount. And something nice to do for their customers. But, I still think they should be more friendly to those who might only want to dip their toe in or can't afford the "coffin". People might get the refills, love them and then invest in the big bottle it seems a bit like cutting their nose of to spite their face.

Max

Basenotes Plus

Max, the largest bottle they offer is 50ml. If you want to dip you toe into Killian, they offer Travel Size, with one if the best atomizers on the market. The Travel Atomizer the sell as part of the setup is easily worth the $50.00 you pay.

I again will state what has been said, if you go through one of their stockists, you can purchase the refill for $125.00. If you want to dip you toes, request samples. They come in a nice 2ml atomizer.

The mistake made here, the OP e-mailed Kilian direct. The purpose of the refill program is exactly what it is named, a refill for something you had already purchased.

This. I have purchased several by Kilian refills (50 ml). You just need your own atomizer.

Max, the largest bottle they offer is 50ml. If you want to dip you toe into Killian, they offer Travel Size, with one if the best atomizers on the market. The Travel Atomizer the sell as part of the setup is easily worth the $50.00 you pay.

I again will state what has been said, if you go through one of their stockists, you can purchase the refill for $125.00. If you want to dip you toes, request samples. They come in a nice 2ml atomizer.

The mistake made here, the OP e-mailed Kilian direct. The purpose of the refill program is exactly what it is named, a refill for something you had already purchased.
    Yeah, I suppose that's true. I think they should just sell whatever you ask them for. Especially since anyone could lie and say they already have a bottle. Why not just sell it to the consumer directly and cut out the middle man?

The best value per ml is obtained if you buy travel pack. It's even cheaper than refill bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    The best value per ml is obtained if you buy travel pack. It's even cheaper than refill bottle.
    Yes, definitely! The travel refill set consists of four .25 oz bottles (1 oz. total) for $75.00 US.

since you in the European zone, you should be able to order their refills without any trouble, and if they ask about the requirement of the original bottle, just let them know that you've already got one (even those you don't) from one of their distributors (eg:luckyscent), that should fix the problem
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Girl View Post
    Yes, definitely! The travel refill set consists of four .25 oz bottles (1 oz. total) for $75.00 US.
    In the UK, travel sets are 30*30ml and a free Kilian atomiser.

I just saw something confusing on their site. I have 4 options.

THE REFILLABLE SPRAY WITH ITS BOX
    - 50 ML -

THE REFILL WITH ITS FUNNEL AND PUMP
    - 50 ML -

THE TRAVEL SPRAY WITH ITS 4 REFILLS
    - 30 ML -

THE 4 REFILLS FOR THE TRAVEL SPRAY
    - 30 ML -

What the hell is the difference between the last two options? The 3rd costs 95€ and the last one costs 45€. What's the difference between them? I don't understand it... Help me out guys! Here's the link : http://www.bykilian.com/en/home.php#...odisiac/cat_16

To get more money of course.
    That's good to hear!

Basenotes Plus

I just saw something confusing on their site. I have 4 options.

- 50 ML -

- 50 ML -

- 30 ML -

- 30 ML -

What the hell is the difference between the last two options? The 3rd costs 95€ and the last one costs 45€. What's the difference between them? I don't understand it... Help me out guys! Here's the link : http://www.bykilian.com/en/home.php#...odisiac/cat_16
    Not really confusing.

- 50 ML -
    This is the full retail package. Bottle, and presentation box. The bottle is refillable, thus the reason for refills at a lower cost.

- 50 ML -
    This is the the refill bottle for above. It comes in a plain bottle and box, with a funnel to pour the perfume into the original bottle. It also comes with a new sprayer for the original bottle above.

- 30 ML -
    This is the the full travel set which comes with a real nice heavy Black travel atomizer. This is refillable as well.

- 30 ML -
    These are the refills for the above travel set, no atomizer.

The least expensive per ml is the travel set refills. Just purchase your own 30ml atomizer fill it up with the travel refill vials.

Hope this helps.

Not really confusing.

- 50 ML -
    This is the full retail package. Bottle, and presentation box. The bottle is refillable, thus the reason for refills at a lower cost.

- 50 ML -
    This is the the refill bottle for above. It comes in a plain bottle and box, with a funnel to pour the perfume into the original bottle. It also comes with a new sprayer for the original bottle above.

- 30 ML -
    This is the the full travel set which comes with a real nice heavy Black travel atomizer. This is refillable as well.

- 30 ML -
    These are the refills for the above travel set, no atomizer.

The least expensive per ml is the travel set refills. Just purchase your own 30ml atomizer fill it up with the travel refill vials.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you for helping me out!

So, if I got this straight, the only difference between the last two options is that one has got an atomizer while the other one don't?

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for helping me out!

So, if I got this straight, the only difference between the last two options is that one has got an atomizer while the other one don't?
    Correct.

The first comes with the Black travel atomizer as shown in picture below.

The second comes with just the refill bottles as shown in the picture below. You need to use your own atomizer. This is the least expensive way to get into Kilian. It is also the cheapest per ml.

Correct.

The first comes with the Black travel atomizer as shown in picture below.

The second comes with just the refill bottles as shown in the picture below. You need to use your own atomizer. This is the least expensive way to get into Kilian. It is also the cheapest per ml.
    I can't thank you enough PalmBeach! I just placed an order of my baby B2B

That atomiser looks so beautiful. I might just have to get it!