Code of Conduct

Default Please help me identify this scent!

Dear Basenoters,

when I went to high school (around 2000-2005) in Germany, some girls wore a special scent, whose name I don't know. Yesterday, at the train station, I got a whiff of this scent again (but couldn't identify the person that wore it). So, I'd like to ask you, if you can helf me find the name of this scent.

It's very light and linear, not rich, heavy oder complex. There is no patchouly, no pepper, no iris and certainly no gourmand notes like vanilla, coffee oder cocoa. It's quite synthetic as the usual "girl sport fragrances" are, but gentle and pleasant, not sharp. At the same time, it seems to have quite a decent projection. If I would have to name a color, I would say white or turqoise, maybe also slightly pink. Probably, it is a drugstore cheapie in the range of Puma, Bruno Banani, Lacoste and so on and maybe it is discontinued because I hardly smell this scent nowadays.

Well, I fear, that is all the information I can give. I own so many scents but I can't puzzle out the notes of this special fragrance, maybe because it smells so synthetic. Thank you in advance for your help!
    Last edited by 0Phoenix0; 24th February 2013 at 01:38 PM.

Default Re: Please help me identify this scent!

There is a fragrance by Lacoste that immediately came into my mind when reading your post. It smells like a freshly washed Polo-Shirt. Not absolutely sure if it's Lacoste pour femme.

Is it almost melony? Maybe New West.

Banned

Tommy girl:-) .....

It is so synthetic you cant miss it yet smells so special to me:-) , just as you described, and big sillage yes

Thanks for your replies so far!

I'm sure it's not Tommy Girl because I sampled it last week: The scent I search is less floral.

The notes of Aramis New West for Her seem to fit perfectly (oceanic, peachy, bergamot), but I'm not sure if it was sold here in Germany after 2000. Nonetheless, I will try to sample New West and Lacoste!

Any further ideas?

I love a good scent quest.

Did it remind you of anything in particular?
    Was it a laundry fresh, sharp citrussy fresh, fruity fresh?
    See if you can think of any more clues that we can put a scent to.

There were plenty of Adidas scents at about that time and they were sporty and light and synthetic.

Maybe Calyx? Launched in the 90's, and nowadays I hardly ever smell it on others. When smelling it on paper it's a bit harsh but on skin it evolves into something different; beautiful but it's so artificial I can't pick out any notes or describe it in any other way than "different".

Banned

cant help further but maybe Pleasures? Its frozen flowers...

It could be anything from DM:-) ...and the more amazing is you could pick it up on the train station after so long time again! :-)

@mumsy:

Did it remind you of anything in particular? - I would say it has an oceanic vibe, but the synthetic one, which means it is light and chilly, but not as salty or as natural as Heeleys "Sel Marin" is or Bulgaris "Aqua" with that fishy seaweed note. It has no depth in it, no warm sandalwood base. There is also no calone overdose as in "Paris Hilton for Men", but it could very well be that it contains calone (as many cheapies did in that time).

Was it a laundry fresh, sharp citrussy fresh, fruity fresh? - There is no harsh citrus note in it (as in "L'eau d'Issey) and also no dominant fruit-sweetness as in "Power to the Pink". Laundry fresh? Maybe, but not so "white" as Pradas "Infusion d'Iris" or Muglers Cologne. But also very gentle and pleasant.

@SusyQ: I think Calyx was not sold in the drugstores here in Germany at that time.

@iivanita: It could indeed be anything from DM, which makes it quite difficult, because many fragrances from this time are discontinued now. For example, the old adidas scents are no longer available, but have been replaced by many Puma fragrances that didn't exist at this time (Puma Red&White, Jamaica, Aqua Woman etc.). Regarding the "picking it up an the train station": I think everyone has certain scents in his/her memories. For example, other scents, that I remember from this time are "Axe Alaska" (which all the boys used as bodyspray or shower gel) and "Power to the Pink" (which many girls used) :-).
    Last edited by 0Phoenix0; 24th February 2013 at 07:20 PM.

Where we are so far...

Clues to what it is:-
    Light and linear (Maybe laundry fresh)
    Oceanic vibe (Not salty or natural or seaweed)
    Gentle
    Good sillage (what of?)
    Very synthetic (like girl sport types)
    White, turquoise with a pink feel (do you mean floral with the pink?)
    Smells cheap but pleasant
    Era of 2005

Clues to what it is not:-
    Not rich
    Not patch, pepper or iris
    Not gourmand, no vanilla or coffee
    Not salty or natural or seaweed
    No depth
    No sandalwood
    No calone

Ok, think of the perfume in each section below and see if your mind can find any hints of these whether artificial or not

Flowers
    Fruit
    Wood
    Incense
    Spice
    Anything else?

What did you like about it so much?