Code of Conduct

Default If you were to add a new masculine fragrance to Chanel's lineup, what would it be like?

Because, frankly, I find their lineup a bit lacking. I think Bleu was a misstep and a move towards the middlebrow.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: If you were to add a new masculine fragrance to Chanel's lineup, what would it be like?

It'd be a classic masculine powerhouse, with a modern twist

Default Re: If you were to add a new masculine fragrance to Chanel's lineup, what would it be like?

A barbershop-style fragrance, mainly classic but also contemporary in a certain way, like YSL Rive Gauche, but more "typically Chanel" (whatever this means, possibly slightly more sensual, warm and alluring than RG, but still retaining an almost similar pleasantly soapy, antiseptic and bracing refreshing style).

To the non-exclusive lineup, I'd like to see something with leather, tobacco and oud.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by St-Just View Post
    Because, frankly, I find their lineup a bit lacking. I think Bleu was a misstep and a move towards the middlebrow.
    Bleu was a different step for Chanel, for sure. I judge it a success, but that's an arguable position for sure - especially when viewed in the context of it's older brethren like Egoiste or Pour Monsieur, which seem almost universally loved.

If I were king for a day at Chanel, I'd love to see them do a masculine in the vein of No. 19, but more butch.

Dry, green and stark. Not smoky, like Sycomore, lots of galbanum and herbaceous notes. Certain elements of Yatagan come to mind.

But who would buy it? Just the frag-nerds, I'm afraid, thus insuring critical acclaim and commercial failure.

And that's probably why Karl hasn't called for my advice

There are enough sporty, fresh offerings for the moment, let's move back in a classical masculine direction..

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    A barbershop-style fragrance, mainly classic but also contemporary in a certain way, like YSL Rive Gauche, but more "typically Chanel".
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    It'd be a classic masculine powerhouse, with a modern twist
    I would tend to favour Jacques' rendition of an aromatic fougere with pine/fir, considering those haven't been explored yet in Chanel's palette.

It could be his parting masterpiece, before passing the torch to Olivier.
    Last edited by Arij; 2nd March 2014 at 06:57 PM.

A light but sophisticated tobacco scent would be interesting from them.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Agreed, I think a nice incense from Chanel would be good too!

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    A light but sophisticated tobacco scent would be interesting from them.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. SantL - ONLY 200ml Remaining (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 10 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Blood Orange/Oakmoss/Resins/Animalic.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Dior Vetiver / SSS Incense Pure / Mancera Kumkat Wood / Slumberhouse & More...

I'll be satisfied if Chanel:

Brings back Egoiste to the way it was originally ...

Brings back Pour Monsieur to the way it was originally...

A spicy oriental, please. Something along the lines of Guerlain Heritage EdP. Maybe something like Creed Royal Oud.

Please no oud !
    A vetiver fragrance is missing from their official masculine line. I could imagine a lovely light, citrus-iris-vetiver-sandalwood EdT, done with top-drawer ingredients.

I would like to add these 2 to the designer line from Chanel:

Chanel TuxAnic - A nice blend of dry Tobacco, sweet & spicy Oud and iris

Chanel Allure Parfum - A flanker from the original, but done with an intense note of leather and sweet pipe tobacco

I would buy both these instantly.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    A vetiver fragrance is missing from their official masculine line.
    Sycomore is not exactly a girlie fragrance... Doesn't that work for you?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I'll be satisfied if Chanel:

Brings back Egoiste to the way it was originally ...
    Yes!! I gave a big bottle of vintage Egoiste Cologne Concentree and it's one of the best masculine fragrances ever. Wish they hadn't discontinued it...

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Sycomore is not exactly a girlie fragrance... Doesn't that work for you?
    Oh, I love it. I was answering in terms of an official 'masculine' fragrance, which is how I understood the OP's question.
    Sycomore is marketed as a 'feminine'.

Blog Entries

Chanel has a lot of options, now that they have poached the man who is almost unarguably among the world's best perfumers, and arguably the best young one. Many of those options need a few years. I wish Chanel well in such pursuits.

A more short-term need is the one that this thread identifies - a modern masculine that is not sporty, has gravitas but not too elegant, and updates the idea of Antaeus in a credible way. Something to keep us busy until Olivier delivers his first big wow.

Bleu was a great idea, IMO, but reaching so far toward he mainstream again isn't really a good option, IMO. It was a risky bet. I liked Eau Extreme, but I have to be honest - the Allure franchise is getting very worn on the flanker end, and Eau Extreme just didn't generate excitement among the colognoscenti.

Chanel has not done a "brofume" like YSL, Hermes, and a few of the others. So if Bleu EDP were a strong step back away from the mainstream, using Bleu's mainstream credibility to boost a very authentic French "parfum for men" vibe, it might work, although the associations of the name seem risky, IMO. Allure Parfum Pour Homme might be very interesting. Allure EDP is a great fragrance, and a slightly more masculine version of that would be a blind buy for me.

Where else? Maybe a Bleu flanker - Bleu de Tabac? Bleu flankers could get fairly creative, but Chanel is not Thierry Mugler, so perhaps best to leave those for the universe where Coco married a scandalously young playboy in late middle age. Actually, though, I think that Chanel could pull it off. They seem to pull off everything. Even the Brad Pitt ads were survivable, and got so much free advertising, Chanel is set for life if Brad Pitt even appears next to an empty bottle.

Pour Monsieur EDP? Platinum goste Ros? So many potential Chanels - so few Polges!

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    Bleu was a different step for Chanel, for sure. I judge it a success, but that's an arguable position for sure - especially when viewed in the context of it's older brethren like Egoiste or Pour Monsieur, which seem almost universally loved.

Universally loved by the frag nerds, while Bleu just seems to be universally loved.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post

If I were king for a day at Chanel, I'd love to see them do a masculine in the vein of No. 19, but more butch.

Dry, green and stark. Not smoky, like Sycomore, lots of galbanum and herbaceous notes. Certain elements of Yatagan come to mind.

But who would buy it? Just the frag-nerds, I'm afraid, thus insuring critical acclaim and commercial failure.
    I like the way you think. I would be among the frag nerds ready to purchase that, but treading that fine line between critical acclaim, art and commercial success is difficult.

I like th

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    I would tend to favour Jacques' rendition of an aromatic fougere with pine/fir, considering those haven't been explored yet in Chanel's palette.

It could be his parting masterpiece, before passing the torch to Olivier.
    I like this idea.

Granville was a terrific surprise from Dior (altho missed by many because it's buried in the Priv Collection where not many civilian males will ever come across it - if more did I'm sure it would take off like a rocket) and I think Chanel could easily look at something in a similar vein but clearly targeted at men in their mainstream line.

The first order of business would be to bring back Egoiste Cologne Concentree.

I would like Chanel to do something really innovative. It would be nice to see them create a reinterpreted masculine chypre (Pour Monsieur flanker?). I also like doing a reinterpretation of a 70s/80s powerhouse fougere. Although I like oud, I do think that trend is a little stale.

I would like to see a dark powerhouse leather.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Some deep, dark, mysterious, heavy masculine - there has been a lot of lighter fragrances and growd pleasers lately. On the trails of Antaeus....
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Jacques Polge is not the perfumer for Chanel. It's now Olivier Polge. Christopher Sheldrake is apparently still there as well.

Someone mentioned Rive Gauche pour Homme. That will never happen as many of those ingredients are either banned or restricted to smaller amounts. Real fougeres of any kind are basically impossible to create anymore. Someone mentioned a fougere with pine/fir. The same basic thing was attempted with Platinum Egoiste and didn't work.

You can't bring back Pour Monsieur, Egoiste, Antaeus, etc, because many of the ingredients are either banned or restricted.

Olivier Polge will be there with the help of ingredients expert Christopher Sheldrake. Many of those ingredients can't be used but Sheldrake is supposed to know the new infinite amount of synthetics pretty well. Jacques Polge will obviously be around to help. Hmm. They just did Bleu which is some kind of Hugo Boss flanker for the guys walking out of Macy's. Hopefully they don't do that again. Either way, I think there will be a variety of softer fragrances coming out. I'd personally like to see them do a Guerlain and produce a masculine dry woods such as Songe d'un Bois d'Ete. It's unlikely. Something as great as Sycomore would obviously be excellent.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd March 2014 at 04:36 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I think a modern twist on the classic Antaeus and Egoiste Cologne Concentree would be a very welcome addition. Whatever you do, Chanel, please do not make these weak, watery, light, sporty versions of the classics - please bring some oomph back. Don't need 80's powerhouse strength, but something that can last at least 8+ hours and not become mere skin scent after 3-4 hours, would be really nice.

At the very least, no more Allure flankers. My God. It's like a zombie from the '90s.

I would love something in the vein of Sycomore.

A designer gourmand! That would be interesting.

Something with oak wood.
    But not traditional.
    No, surreal like Coromandel.

for swap/sale: