Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Noirdrakkar Reviews Bois Du Portugal by Creed

Bois Du Portugal is a woody-floral scent released by Creed in 1987, two years after Green Irish Tweed.

Scent - 3.5/5

A burst of lavendar with a background of cedar, sandalwood, vetiver and ambergris. This has some citrus, but the focus of this scent is more-so the mid to base notes. It's old school, and probably more dated than GIT, despite being released two years later. Classy, sophisticated, gentleman's fragrance, good for suit and tie. This is more for a man than a teenager, but it's not so dated that someone in his mid 20's can wear it.

The first impression I get from this fragrance, oddly enough, is that is smells like a lighter, more floral, version of Yves Saint Laurent's M7. It does start out that way, but it does settle down into just a lighter version of what it was at opening, it is still nice.

This is a fragrance that resents interference. Regardless of how or where I apply it, the temperature or the amount of time, it largely stays the same. I'm convinced that if an atomic bomb were to drop on Bois du Portugal, it would still smell the same.

And this is actually a good thing. It's overall a part of being a stable fragrance. BPD never has high highs, but it never has low lows either. It's consistent, dependable and reliable.

Originality - 2.5/5

It's simple, doesn't have many ingredients and doesn't try anything bizarre, groundbreaking or outlandish. It's a quality masculine cologne, and that's what matters. Maybe it's not in the concept or ingredients, but overall, it is composed to a degree that most fragrances aren't.

Versatility - 4/5

Very versatile. Can work well in any season and on any occasion. The recommended age is 25-30 and older, but an 18 year old COULD wear it.

The thing about this fragrance is that younger guys may not like it. It does smell like something an older man would wear, but it's still very wearable today. This is nowhere near as dated as fragrances like Aramis or the original Polo. This is not in a demeaning way at all, but it smells like a typical old man cologne, but several times the quality similar to how Millesime Imperial is like a young man cologne but several times the quality.

Think of Rive Gauche. If you can wear Rive Gauche at your age, you can wear Bois Du Portugal. But I like BDP a little better than Rive Gauche.

Projection - 3/5

Good projection for a Creed. About average compared to most other houses though.

Longevity - 4/5

Lasts a long time on my skin. Can't complain.

Value - 3/5
    It depends on who you are and where your priorities lie, because some may want a fragrance like this and others may not. I do think that it is a good value. It's not a must-buy since there is stuff out there that is completely mind-blowing, but somewhere down the line you would probably want BDP in your collection.

Overall Rating - 3.5/5

It never does anything mind-blowing or out the ordinary, but it is an overall pleasant scent. It's sort of like eggs and toast of fragrances. Eggs and toast is something I enjoy and could eat everyday, but not something I'm extremely passionate about or that I just can't wait to eat.

It would make a great signature scent due to its consistency and versatility. It's old school, but still very wearable in today's world. Actually, I rarely would wear most fragrances from before 1990, but this is an exception. Overall, I have a positive view of this fragrance, and it performs rather well. It won't win any awards from me, but it's something I do enjoy wearing.

Verdict - If you're interested in this type of fragrance, give this a try.

Default Re: Noirdrakkar Reviews Bois Du Portugal by Creed

Thanks for your review noirdrakkar! Bdp is imo a decent frag. Good stuff.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    To me, BdP is smack dab in the middle of the fragrance spectrum.
    Exactly, and in all aspects.

One of my favorite Creeds and will always be in my collection.

Still have yet to try this! Good review.

Got this for my father-in-law a year ago and he loved it. Finished the bottle already so I'm going to get him another one. I think this is a great scent for the older generation, but not for me at the moment.

Quite accurate and extensive description of one of the (in my opinion) better Creed scents.

I've had BdP in my collection for several years, and every time I wear it I am just knocked out by its quality and complexity. I don't know of anything else that compares. It's brilliant stuff. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Nice review. The only point I disagree on is the versatility. Not a daily wearer, more formal than casual, and can be murderous in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Nice review. The only point I disagree on is the versatility. Not a daily wearer, more formal than casual, and can be murderous in the heat.
    I would agree with these points. Also, if you like this, Parfums di Nicoli New York may be worth a try
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

I find it to be a very high quality, nice scent. However, I do get a little of a dated vibe from it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Murderous. LOL.

High quality, but yes, a little dated, IMO. I only recently changed my opinion of it. Definitely a gentleman's cologne.

If they could make this fragrance linear, like the fantastic drydown, I think it would be a #1 seller. With BdP, it's all about the drydown, but it takes awhile to get there. Smells so good.....

Just got a hold of a sample yesterday. Put this on this morning, and at 4:30 pm I can still smell it. A lot of folks feel this has an old school vibe. IMO it smells pretty modern. You get a nice lavender and citrus burst at the intial spray. The sandalwood and ambergris seem to chase the light vetiver note on this one. The price (as with all creeds) is a little high but I would buy a bottle. Nicely done! Nice review as well!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I really like this particular Creed and it lasts. I have noticed that women over 30 tend to appreciate it more.

This is a very good offering from Creed. I find myself wearing it in all but the summer months.

Ive tried to like this one considering how much it is hyped on here but it just does not do it for me. I do not want to smell like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    One of my favorite Creeds and will always be in my collection.
    I love it!
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I'm convinced that if an atomic bomb were to drop on Bois du Portugal, it would still smell the same.
    ...And wearing it, I felt as if I'd been hit by an atomic bomb of boredom. Several megatons of stifling ordinariness.

I seem to be in the minority, but wouldn't wear this shit even if it was the only frag on earth, truly an obnoxious lavender overdosed concoction.

Key question: why spend more on this rather than buying Versailles Pour Homme, Tiffany for Men, Heritage, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I seem to be in the minority, but wouldn't wear this shit even if it was the only frag on earth, truly an obnoxious lavender overdosed concoction.

How does the Micheal Jackson song go? You are not alone.... i am here with you...

Nobody mentioned the edible smokyness of it?

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    ...And wearing it, I felt as if I'd been hit by an atomic bomb of boredom. Several megatons of stifling ordinariness.
    +1 Gotta Agree. I mean it's ok (like eggs on toast to continue the analogy) but you can quite easily live without it.