Code of Conduct

Default What cologne makes a man seem like a snob?

Judging purely by smell, not reputation of the house or label.

Default Re: What cologne makes a man seem like a snob?

I don't think this question has any conceivable answer.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Isn't everyone who wears Aventus a snob?

Back in the day anything by Ralph Lauren was considered upscale preppy. I was in junior high school at the time and the polo shirts were $50 to $80 bucks apiece back in the 80's. I think that's about what they sell at today's prices so that'd be like paying $300 for a shirt today. Flare up the collar and you were GTG. The only thing you would be missing was the smell of Ralph Lauren which was POLO. If you looked the part and smelled the part there was no doubt about it that your parents had money. Ahhh...the memories..

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Agree.

Not one I can think of.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Cannot think of any specific fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Please read through the reviews of Blenheim Bouquet. I think you'll find that several of the reviewers address this idea.
    I'm not sure I'd agree with them. I think that the historical background of Blenheim influences the way reviewers smell it. But that's a hard thing to prove. Blenheim is a very good fragrance by the way.

This.
    Smelling good on a budget!

Basenotes Plus

See #2

I actually think it does... buuuuuuuuut ...the answer will vary from person to person.

Wearing something that smells too upscale can come off as snobbish. It has nothing to do with the price of the scent though. Interlude Man by Amouage costs $280 a bottle. GIT can be had for closer to half of that price. I have samples of each and have been told by pretty much every one of my friends (not perfume heads, btw) that GIT smells either snobbish or conservative and that Interlude Man smells playful or weird, but in a good way. Keep in mind, I live in a very urban downtown and my friends are city dwellers too. Back when I lived in the deep south, GIT would have probably been a big hit there since folks tend to be conservative, and Interlude Man would have been miles over the top.

So... the answer to the original question is, you have to know your audience. For me, the answer is GIT. I don't think it smells snobbish, but I totally understand why my friends think it does.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Chanel PM

smelling like really expensive/exotic wood??? LOL

Depends on if you think people who: drive Bentley's, smoke cigars and drink wine that costs thousands of dollars, or in this case wear fragrances that costs more than some people's automobiles (Clive Christian), are snobs. I would say the likely hood is pretty good that they would be if they're full of themselves. So yes the question does have an answer, but to stereotype people is also wrong.

You'd think that snobbery comes mostly from attitude and not scent. I mean, a person can smell like a million bucks, but once they open their mouth, it's then the association of snob or not starts.

At least that's my opinion.

But more than likely, if it's scent only then I'd say it's probably one of the more beloved scents that are touted here at BN for exclusivity or something another. Take your pick.

Every cologne. And no cologne. Inceptioned!

The real answer is that being considered a snob is entirely subjective to others. In my opinion, I'd prefer that the people I know and love who know I like fragrances understand that my hobby comes from a position of appreciation and humility for this under-appreciated art, and not so much from a position of snobbiness. I couldn't give less of a fuck about people I don't know thinking I'm a snob.

treeman5823

I don't know about snob, but I do know a big douche. I'm looking at you, Av***us.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Depends on if you think people who: drive Bentley's, smoke cigars and drink wine that costs thousands of dollars, or in this case wear fragrances that costs more than some people's automobiles (Clive Christian), are snobs. I would say the likely hood is pretty good that they would be if they're full of themselves. So yes the question does have an answer, but to stereotype people is also wrong.
    The op specifically said not to consider the house, just the smell. Clive Christian immediately sprang to mind for obvious reasons, but the op said to go by just the smell alone.

In each of your examples, you say that some people presume that that cost equals snobbiness, though that's a stereotype. But you don't know the cost without knowing the brand, which the op said not to consider.

I still think the original question has no answer. But if we're talking about whether I judge people, rightly or wrongly, as snobs based on the brand of cologne they wear (or even the specific cologne), that would have a longer response.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

The op specifically said not to consider the house, just the smell. Clive Christian immediately sprang to mind for obvious reasons, but the op said to go by just the smell alone.

In each of your examples, you say that some people presume that that cost equals snobbiness, though that's a stereotype. But you don't know the cost without knowing the brand, which the op said not to consider.

I still think the original question has no answer. But if we're talking about whether I judge people, rightly or wrongly, as snobs based on the brand of cologne they wear (or even the specific cologne), that would have a longer response.
    Lol..yeah I missed the part about the house and label and just read the title of the thread. I'll stick with my original answer of RL Polo because it reminds me of guys with flared collars driving 944 Porsche's, rich bitch high school girls driving VW convertibles, Ted Knight in Caddyshack, and what the inside of those country club locker rooms would smell like.
    Last edited by silentrich; 24th February 2013 at 11:01 PM.

Save in terms of examples which might change from moment to moment your question can't really be answered. How a fragrance actually smells and whether or not they like it is probably the least important element when it comes to whether or not a snobbish individual would desire it.

A cologne by itself is not going to make anyone seem like a snob. Only a person's behavior, possessions, and attitude can do that. I suppose if this hypothetical snob wore a certain cologne all the time, those around him might associate that cologne with snobbishness. But that could be *any* cologne.
    So, the question is sort of dumb, actually.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I echo the sentiments that how the person acts and talks about fragrances make them a snob, not the fragrance itself.

You lowly serfs are not worthy of my opinion.

Snobby enough?

This is probably down to the perceptions and prejudices of the person smelling it/perceiving it as snobby, rather than any inherent characteristic of the scent.

Alternatively it may be because of the attitude of the wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinent View Post
    Every cologne. And no cologne. Inceptioned!
    A cologne within a cologne that is embedded deeply within the recesses of another cologne (the upside is that the third level cologne has a longevity of like 6 months).

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    This is probably down to the perceptions and prejudices of the person smelling it/perceiving it as snobby, rather than any inherent characteristic of the scent.
    Absolutely. And it goes back to my comment about the importance of knowing your audience. Asking what scent makes a man seem like a snob is a lot like asking what clothes make a man seem like a snob. It's about giving off a vibe that says "I'm better than you" or maybe even "I look down on people like you." It all comes down to the perceptions and prejudices of the observer, not those of the wearer, but hopefully someone who is into perfumes is smart enough to know how different scents can lead to different perceptions.

Choose what fits the occasion. I wouldn't show up to poker night in a tuxedo. Likewise, I wouldn't wear a scent that is more formal or elegant than the occasion calls for (unless I were intentionally going overboard).

Granted, some people don't think about that stuff when choosing a scent to wear. Then again, we all know someone who doesn't think about what clothes they wear either. They wear whatever they like even if it doesn't look good or fit the occasion.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Snobbish smell is obviously a social construction. When enough people wear certain fragrance and acts snobbish - voilà - that fragrance becomes snobbish. But to be honest, there isn't such fragrance: snobs can wear anything or nothing, so such social construction doesn't exist, atleast not world wide. For example teenagers are much more like-minded when it comes to choosing a fragrance, and also probably apply more liberally, so we have an idea what smells like a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    A cologne within a cologne that is embedded deeply within the recesses of another cologne (the upside is that the third level cologne has a longevity of like 6 months).
    Haha nice! Leo spins a bottle of Pure Malt to make sure he's not in a dream...

Smell itself is not snobbish. The snob is someone who wears something expensive/hyped and look down on others as well as behaving like Mr.Knowitall

Anything ever worn by anyone on this forum.

The 'one-up-manship' is quite staggering and THAT is my definition of a snob.

Even some people who haven't got a pot to piss in will lord it over others because they've spent £200 on a bottle of coloured water / alcohol / chemicals.

Get over yourselves, give your heads a wobble and rethink your priorities.

Boomshanka.

X

It's all in the person's mindset. Don't feel scents would give that impression.

Naming your first born son Aventus would qualify you as one LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    A cologne by itself is not going to make anyone seem like a snob. Only a person's behavior, possessions, and attitude can do that. I suppose if this hypothetical snob wore a certain cologne all the time, those around him might associate that cologne with snobbishness. But that could be *any* cologne.
    So, the question is sort of dumb, actually.
    This^^.. Seem like a knob would have been better

Miss Balmain, Habit Rouge.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 27th February 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Isn't everyone who wears Aventus a snob?
    It depends on the batch. If its batch number AU79065 then it's cool.

In principle, there's nothing that says wearing a certain fragrance couldn't make you come off as snobbish. It's all about scent memory.

The problem is that fragrances aren't, at least traditionally, segmented by class or attitude. If every snob for some reason used fragrance X and everyone else avoided it, then that scent would probably be associated with snobbishness after a while.

However, most people wear anything. So the only distinctions that seem to have any broader validity are masculine/feminine (because of historic gender marketing) and old/young (because the style of fragrances have changed over the years). Anything else is either purely personal experience (e.g. "this snob I knew always wore fragrance Y") or pure fabrication.

anyone wearing a fragrance with an outragious price tag over $200.00

I personally find Marc from Robes08 to be a perfect example of a snob. No offence.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Back in the day anything by Ralph Lauren was considered upscale preppy. I was in junior high school at the time and the polo shirts were $50 to $80 bucks apiece back in the 80's. I think that's about what they sell at today's prices so that'd be like paying $300 for a shirt today. Flare up the collar and you were GTG. The only thing you would be missing was the smell of Ralph Lauren which was POLO. If you looked the part and smelled the part there was no doubt about it that your parents had money. Ahhh...the memories..
    Avoiding all the philosophical angles / societial discourse people are taking, RL Polo (at least at one time) would have come closest to being the answer to the question IMO.

there's NO correlation between scent and snob
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I personally find Marc from Robes08 to be a perfect example of a snob. No offence.
    Ohhhhh dang. Better lock your doors at night, buddy.

I think that if you're wearing something that was blatantly not created to be a crowd pleaser, by smelling slightly off to the average schmo you're communicating that you're no mainstreamer and you have a more refined nose than others. I'd bet money that this has been JCE's game plan for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    Ohhhhh dang. Better lock your doors at night, buddy.
    Why? I live in Canada.

treeman5823

Why? I live in Canada.
    Marc lives in Canada, man. Seriously, he mentions this quite often in his videos.

Almost anything when applied too heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    Marc lives in Canada, man. Seriously, he mentions this quite often in his videos.
    That doesn't change the fact that I will still leave my door unlocked lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I agree as long as its trendy
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I agree as long as its trendy
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Cut to the chase and just play the game; When I'm heading out to a stuffy affair, I can see reaching for Van Cleef & Arpels ph or Charles Street , all the while eyeing Gendarme.
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

Why? If anything he seems to like rather not so great mainstream fragrances, e.g. Calvin Klein, a bit too much. Was just watching his 100 top designer frags video the other day.

Not trying to sound snobby lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Why? If anything he seems to like rather not so great mainstream fragrances, e.g. Calvin Klein, a bit too much. Was just watching his 100 top designer frags video the other day.

Not trying to sound snobby lol.
    I agree, Marc is very much not a snob. Almost anti-snob. That's why I like him. No pretense, he has 500 bottles and Le Male is his favorite. Suck it up.