Code of Conduct

Default Ungaro III and Zino... are they similar?

I've read lots of comments about Ungaro III being similar to Zino. Is this true? If so, how are they similar? How do they differ? For the record, I'm not interested in vintage here at all since I own a bottle of Ungaro III that's relatively recent and I love it, and I'm debating picking up the current version of Zino.

Zino isn't expensive on Amazon. If I own Ungaro III, is it worth buying, or is it redundant?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Default Re: Ungaro III and Zino... are they similar?

I have both - the original Ungaro III and original Zino and I find them quite different.

They have both a similar vibe, but different enough to justify owning both, both are relatively inexpensive and both are good in any formulation.

I don't find them at all similar.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

They are both very good and have very little similarities. Ungaro III is very sharp spicy dark rose, Zino is a creamy sandal wood with some attitude.

Not similar to me. UIII is much drier than Zino which is loaded
    with amber. The rose note is also quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubirosa View Post
    They are both very good and have very little similarities. Ungaro III is very sharp spicy dark rose, Zino is a creamy sandal wood with some attitude.
    Really !, I am a huge sandalwood fan, but I can't get my head around Zino. I find it very cloying....and my nose detects a huge sweet honey note that isn't listed in the fragrance.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Unagro III, like all Ungaro frags IMO, is overrated garbage. Zino on the other hand was/is a classic which has recently been discontinued. Get it while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Not similar to me. UIII is much drier than Zino which is loaded
    with amber
    . The rose note is also quite different.
    Zino? Loaded with amber? I don't see that listed in the notes. Amber plus sandalwood? Holy cow, if that's true, it could be an instant favorite for me.

Ungaro III wears magically on my skin. It basically turns into a dark rose and three sprays easily last 8 hours with some impressive (but not huge) sillage.

They're not similar in any way imo.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

not to my nose
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Anglique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Boge View Post
    Unagro III, like all Ungaro frags IMO, is overrated garbage. Zino on the other hand was/is a classic which has recently been discontinued. Get it while you can.
    You obviously haven't tried Ungaro I! Not to mention II. (I'm also not a fan of Ungaro III -- dihydromyrcenol, yuck.)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Zino? Loaded with amber? I don't see that listed in the notes. Amber plus sandalwood? Holy cow, if that's true, it could be an instant favorite for me.
    Zino has some vanilla, but I don't get much labdanum (which, together, would make an amber accord). The vintage has more sandalwood. The drydown is excellent and complex -- patchouli, musk, sandalwood, cedar, vanilla.

These frags share a little bit of character, rose and citrus . . . but are otherwise very different, and not redundant. I'd say Caron's 3me Homme is halfway between them.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    These frags share a little bit of character, rose and citrus . . . but are otherwise very different, and not redundant. I'd say Caron's 3me Homme is halfway between them.
    Funny you should mention that one. It's high on my list too. That and Pour Un Homme.

Blog Entries

WORTH trYing at least a mini of each............
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Nothing alike.

Not similar at all. Ungaro III is a take it or leave it experience while Zino is a must have fragrance. IMHO

I have both.
    Zino is an ambery fougere - as prominently noted in the H&R Chart at Leffingwell.
    Ungaro 111 isn't.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Not to me.

I have both scents, and both were acquired over 5 years ago, so.....older formulations...?? Maybe? Bueller...?

But no, I find the two to be quite different. On me, Ungaro III is a green-feeling fougere with a fresh side. I remember when I got it, I thought the juice inside did NOT match the presentation of the bottle, but I dug it nonetheless. Zino, is a thick, smooth (to my nose) patchouli based floral-heart scent that is bold, and has proven itself to be quite polarizing. Especially in recent days on BN here.....have you seen the "I Hate Zino" thread?

No, I haven't seen the I Hate Zino thread. I'll have to look that one up and give it a read. I was reading a bunch of Ungaro III threads and Zino kept coming up. That's what piqued my curiosity.

You're totally right about the Ungaro III bottle, by the way. It doesn't match the juice at all!

Well, LHBI, all I gotta say is that if you like woodsy, patchouli scents with a dark flair, Zino will fall in your favor. The florals do a lot of the heavy lifting in regard to Zino. I like it, myself, and yes, it was at one point a real darling of the boards here. But that's OK if others dislike it.....more for me.

Yes, they produce same feeling to me - sadness, yet pleasant. Not to discuss notes.

Wow. Ungaro III makes you feel sad? Interesting! I get that sort of vibe from Narcisso Rodriguez for him, but not Ungaro III. For some reason, UIII makes me feel optimistic... it smells like spring is on the way. I suppose the darkness of the scent is why it smells like spring is on the way rather than actually smelling like spring to me. Sadly, I haven't gotten great feedback on it. I was told by a friend that it smelled great, but she was surprised I liked it so much since it smelled like something an older man would wear. I'm in my late 30s and have a baby face, so I tend to get mistaken for being in my late 20s. I definitely don't want to give off an old man vibe!

To me UIII doesn't make me sad but somehow tender,careful,romantic,dreaming, sensitive, wary. Which is not the typical "me" at all. Like Paninaro said, still pleasant. It's one of my "5-star" -fragrances, a very loved one. Have not smelled the reformulated UIII, so this goes for the original French made version.

Zino is more dirty, dark, concrete, thick, soft vs. UIII like said before, sharp, rosey, thin,sensible, abstract
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)