Code of Conduct

Default I was ROBBED - which frags should I replace?

My house was recently burgled and all my fragrances were stolen, along with my other valuables. Some fragrances I will definitely re-buy, while others I'm still thinking about and while I'm at it, maybe I'll get something new.

I need advice on what I can replace some of my old frags WITH? Which to KEEP? Which new ones to CONSIDER?

Definite Keepers (Will re-buy, no question about it)
    Chanel Egoiste Platinum
    Aramis Havana

Old Maybes (Owned them, liked them, but is there anything better?)
    Chanel Alure Homme Sport*
    Bvlgari Aqva Homme Sport

New Maybes (Might be good to try for the first time!?)
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme
    Hermes Terre de Hermes

Recommendations
    Based on what I have used so far, what would you recommend I try? Keep in mind the weather is pretty warm atm in OZ.

*People say it isn't very good and TOO citrucy, but who doesn't want to smell like oranges and sunshine on a warm summers day?

Sound Scents

Default Re: I was ROBBED - which frags should I replace?

Terrible news about your burglary... very sorry to hear that. :-( As for your maybes, Terre d'Hermes is a masterpiece and I can highly recommend that one --- extremely versatile all weather citrus/woody/earthy scent that is my favorite. L'Instant pour Homme is not one of my favorites, but I do own it and many here are big fans, so I am in the minority. If you like powdery scents it may be more your kind of thing... if not, maybe it isn't.

For the warmer weather, you may want to look into some of the better Eau de Colognes out there like Acqua di Parma Colonia (or its flankers which are also superb in most cases) and Cologne du Parfumeur by Guerlain.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme &
    Hermes Terre de Hermes are good ones IMO.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune - as for you keepers, I like both of those. TO replace those aquatics how about something like Creed MI? Another I am considering after just getting a sample is Eau Divine. I think both of those would make nice warm weather scents.

I second Cologne du Parfumeur. Such a beautiful orange blossom note - and immaculate for Summer. L'Instant is probably a choice you wouldn't regret, though I am not sure how it would play out in the heat.

Yes, you can do far better than Allure Homme Sport for a citrus frag...

Sorry to hear about Your misfortune!!! I would get Terre D'Hermes for sure!!! I would also check out the Acqua Di Parma fragrances and the Creed fragrances!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Sorry to hear about Your misfortune!!! I would get Terre D'Hermes for sure!!! I would also check out the Acqua Di Parma fragrances and the Creed fragrances!!!
    Gary
    That sucks man! ADP is a much better starting point in my opinion. I absolutely love Assoluta and Colonia the original.

Allure Homme Sport & Terre De Hermes Parfum!

Sorry to hear you were robbed but why not use this as an opportunity to test out some new stuff - especially some niche?
    Mecca, Myer and DJ's carry some good brands to look at like Malle, Lutens, Comme, Diptyque, Byredo, Kurkdjian, Creed, Bond, Amouage, Keiko Mecheri, Tom Ford etc

Dependent

Oh no! That's my nightmare scenario. Good luck man

Too bad you're not in the US, I would sell you some of the ones you want to replace super cheap. Good luck though

My dog, yes, my wife, maybe, my fragrances -- NEVER!

Chanel Allure Homme Sport, I have read many good things about and recently did a skin-test of it (not properly done since I was wearing something else at the time). It's pretty inoffensive methinks.

I would NOT blind buy anything. Td'H was not a winner for me.

MI, though, is my "grab in a fire" fragrance, so naturally it gets my endorsement.

I have tried a couple of frags today, and still searching!

- Hermes Terre de Hermes EDT bitter citrus, woody, nice - will buy when weather gets a little older
    - Hermes Terre de Hermes EDP came off too strong, i want my girl to dig her nose in to it and not be put off - no for now
    - YSL Body Kouros very sweet, not usually my thing - but does kind of smell sexy - will try again
    - YSL Opium EDP his might be just what I'm looking for, but will have to try the EDT also, for some reason it did not stick in my memory all that well though! - will try again
    - YSL Jazz an aromatic fougere, smells very nice, but again does not evoke anything special - no for now
    - YSL Live Jazz nice and citrucy, nothing special, but that is the point as it is very cheap, however had a DISTINCT FECAL top note on me, so would rather fork out on Chanel Allure Homme Sport - no for now
    - Paco Rabanne Pour Homme typical 'cologne guy' it seems to me, looking for something more special, but - will buy later
    - Aramis Devin somehow similar to Paco Rabanne, but I actaully like PR better - no for now
    - Guerlain Habit Rouge a very nice frag, but does not evoke anything special so - no for now
    - Guerlain Vetiver nice and old fashioned, but seems a little too grassy for me - no for now
    - Miyakey L'eau D'issey Pour Homme nice citrucy, floral scent - but Chanel Allure Homme Sport evokes me much more

To TRY
    -L'Instant Pour Hommer
    -YSL Opium EDT

I WILL try to smell some Acqua Di Parma, but cannot find it anywhere in Sydney!

As for other niches like Creed, I will have a smell, but I think considering my situation, I would rather get 2-3 normal frags, then fork out the cash for a niche

Considering my notes, does anyone have any more suggestions!? What are your signatures, what are your favourites??

I dislike ordinary frags, I don't like safe frags, I want it to evoke me! I have nothing against trying 50 frags before buying ONE!

THANK YOU!
    Last edited by nikitary; 5th January 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Sorry to hear that . Now to question, I personally would not replace any of them. Some of mentioned fragrances are nice and above average but none of them makes it to "love" for me.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Basenotes Plus

My sincere condolences on your losses and sense of violation that ensues from a home burglary....Have fun finding new treasures, tho.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by nikitary View Post
    My house was recently burgled and all my fragrances were stolen, along with my other valuables. Some fragrances I will definitely re-buy, while others I'm still thinking about and while I'm at it, maybe I'll get something new.

I need advice on what I can replace some of my old frags WITH? Which to KEEP? Which new ones to CONSIDER?

Definite Keepers (Will re-buy, no question about it)
    Chanel Egoiste Platinum
    Aramis Havana

Old Maybes (Owned them, liked them, but is there anything better?)
    Chanel Alure Homme Sport*
    Bvlgari Aqva Homme Sport

New Maybes (Might be good to try for the first time!?)
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme
    Hermes Terre de Hermes

Recommendations
    Based on what I have used so far, what would you recommend I try? Keep in mind the weather is pretty warm atm in OZ.

*People say it isn't very good and TOO citrucy, but who doesn't want to smell like oranges and sunshine on a warm summers day?
    First of all, do not replace any except Aramis Havana, start out fresh. Anybody in the know, knows Platnium Egoiste isn't that good. Get a bottle of Egoiste instead, that's a good start.

You said "I dislike ordinary frags, I don't like safe frags, I want it to evoke me! I have nothing against trying 50 frags before buying ONE!" Absolutely! Take your time, slow down and get some scents you'll enjoy.

I see you went sampling. I agree with your assessments of the ones you sampled. Not to worry there's alot of mediocre scents out there, and eventually you'll find something you like.

Just blind buy Egoiste online if it's no where to be found in Sydney. You can always resale to a Basenoter if you don't like it.

Issey Miyake pour homme
    Bulgari pour homme
    Chanel pour monsieur
    Eau de Guerlain
    Chanel Eau de Cologne

From what should be replaced and/or newly purchased: Chanel Egoiste Platinum, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme
    and Hermes Terre de Hermes

Banned

sorry to hear about the caper ...

try:
    Beyond Paradise for Men by Estee Lauder
    Bulgari Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari
    L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche by Versace

i would say, get only the ones you dearly miss, skip all the rest recklessly. you clearly don't love them, it would be pointless and a loss on all fronts.

try to find better new ones instead, there are many fantastic things out there. :)

the trick is to find them, there is more crap than greatness, not to mention the vast space inhabited by mediocrity.

tried four more on my skin today, here are my thoughts

Gucci Pour Homme Awesome and simple! Smoky and woody! If only it were winter, I would not be so reluctant to buy, but since its discontinued and it is the one last bottle they have anywhere in Sydney it seems - ITS A BUY
    Chanel Egoiste very complex to me, creamy, slightly woody - will try again side by side with Opium (if it were winter, I'd buy no questions asked)
    Rochas Man do people actually want to smell like burnt sugar and burnt vanilla?
    Azzaro Pour Homme oak moss, pine, freshness, old cologne! But honestly, Paco Rabanna does the same, but bolder, and this frag needs to be bold -not subtle imo

BTW Gucci, what a great fkn idea it is to discontinue Tom Ford's genius frags and replace them with your s41t house, run of the mill frags!

trained, showered, scrubbed - tried four more scents

YSL M7 this seems like and old school powerhouse, sweetish and woody, someday I will use it, but not my time yet
    YSL Body Kouros I don't usually like sweet scents, but this is the one gourmand that is growing on me, maybe will get it for my girl to enjoy
    Boss Bottled this subtle apple and vanilla scent dries down to me a bit more woody; Definitely a "nice" frag, but I do not see what all the praises are about
    JPG Le Male a GREAT scent, nice balance between lavender, vanilla and something else - overall nothing super special, but I see everyone enjoying this scent and can't see anyone disliking it. That however is the main downfall of this frag, EVERYONE has it. I will get it someday, as it smells like sex, but now I am looking for something more distinct and individualistic.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Before you go on a fragrance buying spree, have you considered installing a decent burglar alarm system?

I had been burgled once when the thieves took off with my mini-compo & music collection. After getting the landlord to install a burglar alarm system with motion detectors, I took off on some quality hi fi upgrades. Maybe you're due for some fragrance wardrobe upgrades...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Before you go on a fragrance buying spree, have you considered installing a decent burglar alarm system?

I had been burgled once when the thieves took off with my mini-compo & music collection. After getting the landlord to install a burglar alarm system with motion detectors, I took off on some quality hi fi upgrades. Maybe you're due for some fragrance wardrobe upgrades...
    haha that's been done straight away )) all valuables and frags included go in a big a$$ safe!!))

tried a few more frags, here is what I think

DK Fuel For Men Before I thought this was way to sweet, but now it smells very balanced, slightly spicy and perhaps there's pineapple - will but on the buy list
    YSL Opium EDT can't make up my mind between this and EDP, but 2 hours later, I can still smell the EDP well and the EDT is fading fast
    YSL Kouros a not so subtle old school frag, somehow reminds me of hotels, especially in the mediterranean - that animalistic scent! will have to put on the buy list
    L'Instant Pour Homme I want to like this, but on me it SIMPLY DOES NOT PROJECT, half an hour later I just can't smell anything!

Basenotes Member

Pure malt, PE, Issey Summer..

There are a lot of interesting suggestions here, so I'll focus on orange.

Terre d'Hermes isn't a bright orange scent per se -- it's dirty, earthy orange. Very dirty, earthy. Not to say it's bad, but not what you're looking for if you want a bright orange.

For bright orange, I think I'd go with Concentre d'orange Verte, which is one of my great cologne loves. Or I'd go the Neroli route, which (to me) smells like a bright orange flower. Neroli Portofino and Chanel's Eau de Cologne are both winners here; I also like Creed Neroli Sauvage, but haven't bought a full bottle yet.

One of those four will always in my rotation. I tend to switch them out every year or so.

Note that orange is a huge category, so expect a lot of different suggestions in just that one group of fragrances.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Horrible. I hope you catch the people that took your frags! You have to post your "to buy" list tho at the end of this. I'm very curious at what your going to buy. You could try LIDGE, Tom Ford Extreme, or Dior homme intense.

If my home was burgularized I wouldn't be thinking about frags at this time. No disrespect intended.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    My sincere condolences on your losses and sense of violation that ensues from a home burglary....Have fun finding new treasures, tho.
    I couldn't say it better.

Best wishes on finding fragrances you will love even more.
    Vintage Kouros rocks