Code of Conduct

Default Using multiple solvents in formulations

Hi guys
    I need help getting my head around the use of different solvents in a single fragrance compound, such as DPG and DEP. Apart from viscosity, what difference does it make especially as both are more or less odourless? If I, for example, omit DEP from a formulation that I have and make up the percentage with only DPG, would there be an appreciable difference? Thanks.

Default Re: Using multiple solvents in formulations

Probably it won't make any difference to interchange DPG for DEP.
    But someone may know different than I...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Different solvents are used for a variety of reasons, the most important of which is that the solvent used should be the best one to dissolve the material or ingredients that are being used. DPG is more polar than DEP and will dissolve more polar materials, but in general, when creating a fragrance either solvent will probably do. DEP is far less volatile than DPG, and some have described it as having a fixative effect, but I have not experienced this. Others claim that DEP can have dampening effect on the strength of the fragrance. It is useful for candle fragrances as it burns cleanly and causes no problems. However, because of the bad press that other Phthalates have had, many customers do not like DEP to be used in their fragrances (with no justification). DPG is the solvent of choice when the fragrance is going into a water based end product (such as shampoo), and probably the solvent of choice for all fine fragrances.

David has pretty much covered this, but I'll just add that I've seen a study from the 70s, which seemed to have been conducted in a properly scientific manner with good controls and protocols that demonstrated a clear fixative effect for DEP, IPM and a good number of other materials including Hedione, so I think there is a good chance that there is indeed a fixative effect for DEP.

A final thought DPG is often added to a formula as padding, to get the numbers to a round 1000, especially where demonstration formulae are made to illustrate the effect of a particular ingredient: a version is made with and without the ingredient, but to keep the proportions of everything else identical it is replaced in the version without with DPG. In this case you could probably miss it out completely with no noticeable effect on the final product, especially for fine fragrance.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Many thanks David and Chris, the information is very useful, especially as many of my target customers do not buy products containing alcohol. I use DPG to dilute incense oil as it burns cleanly, and I have noticed that it does absorb incidental water without trace - which is why "DPG is the solvent of choice when the fragrance is going into a water based end product (such as shampoo)".
    I had heard about the fixative property of DEP - maybe a small experiment may be in order...