Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default My Thoughts On Tobacco Vanille

Tobacco Vanille was released in 2007 by Tom Ford, on their exclusive line.

I generally disliked most of the Tom Fords sold at designer stores, but I was hoping that their exclusive line would be better. I've heard a lot of hype about this, and I wanted to see what it was about so I got a decant of Tobacco Vanille. For those who haven't tried it and are thinking of sampling or buying it, I will describe my thoughts and hope it helps.

Basically, the scent is what it says to be. Tobacco and vanilla. I'm not saying that they're aren't any other ingredients, but they play a very small role in the background.

To explain this fragrance very simply, it opens as 50% tobacco and 50% vanilla. Then as it dries down, it transitions into 25% tobacco and 75% vanilla. Those who are hoping for a very macho fragrance with a lot of tobacco in it, this is not it.

This is not a tobacco fragrance with some vanilla in it. It's a vanilla fragrance with some tobacco in it. After the first hour, vanilla does become the dominant ingredient. And that said, I think it is well balanced and it never gets too sweet or cloying. It's smooth and while it projects strongly, it is not pungent or shrill. This is a masculine fragrance (i don't see it as feminine), but not a hyper-masculine fragrance (like much of the tom ford house), which means someone in his 20's can easily wear it.

As for comparisons, there's nothing quite like this. I know the Dreamer has both a lot of tobacco and a lot of vanilla, this smells nothing like The Dreamer. I'd say the closest fragrance that smells like this is probably Spicebomb, and even then, they are very distant. But just imagine spicebomb with a little less spices and a little more vanilla.

The performance is excellent. Projection is very high, so only wear a little. Longevity is impressive. Aside from the fact that it won't be good for hot weather, you can wear it anywhere at any time as long as you are careful with the trigger. As for originality, the idea isn't original, but the quality is exceptional.

As for the value for your dollar, $300 is a lot to ask for. Smaller decants are more expensive, though flacon splits may be cheaper. It's certainly quality and if you have the money, definitely go for it. It's asking for a lot, but it is also offering a lot. It smells great and it performs great. I don't think I would personally buy it at that price, but if I do end up making a lot of money, I would certainly get this.

My final rating is a 9 out of 10.

Hope this helps. Thank you.

Basenotes Member

Default Re: My Thoughts On Tobacco Vanille

Nice review.
    Smelling Good on a Budget!

Tobacco Vanille is my favorite fragrance. I agree, it drys down to vanilla and I love it.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

I didn't like it all that much during my first wearing. I realized that this was because I did one close spray to the neck, and then another to the wrist to see how long it lasts. However, it just projected like crazy and didn't stop. But now that I know that it is very potent stuff. One spray, with a little more distance, to the neck, it smells amazing. It is probably my favorite fragrance.
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

For tobacco I like Back to Black better, but TV is one of the best for vanilla. Right up there with SDV.

Personally never cared for this fragrance.

I do like TV and own it. I would not trade it. However, I will say that I have been spoiled by L'Occitane's Eau des Baux. It's a similar fragrance and nearly provides what TV does at a SIXTH of the price. EdB has a harsh note in the opening that I'm not fond of, but the drydown is very nice.

I really like TV, one of my first niche buys, and still one of my favourites. There are times when only TV will do...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Nice review. If you participate in split you can still get it as same price as other Niche perfumes and considering it is unique (at least to me), that is fair game.