Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

What fragrances, in your opinion do you generally find one sex really loving and the other really hating.

IMO, Pure Malt, Mugler Cologne and Terre d' Hermes are scents that men love a lot, but I haven't seen many women liking it much.

Bleu de Chanel is the opposite.

Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

Encre Noire. A lot of us fellas like this stuff. Don't hear to many compliments on it from the ladies though.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 25th February 2013 at 12:54 PM.

No such thing as a scent that is mainly liked/disliked by one gender.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from about scents and genders, but there's a giant list of the most complimented scents as polled here on basenotes. Out of over 500 scents listed...

...Terre D'Hermes ranks #10.
    ...A*Men Pure Malt ranks #40.
    ...Mugler Cologne ranks #55.

Prada Amber and Allure HS Edition Blanche aren't even in the top 100. L'Artisan's Tea For Two isn't even in the top 200.

My point is that all of the scents you named seem to be quite well regarded by women, in general, since they get complimented by women a lot.

In the end, it all comes down to knowing your audience. There is no scent that appeals to all women, nor is there one that appeals to all men. The more you know about the tastes of those you want to appeal to, the better you'll be at picking a scent for the occasion.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I speak only of my wife: My wife hates Racer on me, but I love it.

Blog Entries

My dude doesn't like Sycomore and I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I'm not sure where you're getting your info from about scents and genders, but there's a giant list of the most complimented scents as polled here on basenotes. Out of over 500 scents listed...
    The average basenoter contributing to that list is not wearing a random sample of fragrances. Quite likely he wears TdH disproportionally often, he is hence more likely to receive a compliment on it, and he is probably more prone to remember it. A schoolbook example of sampling bias and likely confirmation bias.

That list is statistically useless.

But I agree with knowing your audience. You want to appeal to a certain person, or type of person, not a population average.

I was complimented on Pure Malt yesterday by a friend's wife. I had Chergui on the back of one hand and Diptyque's 34 boulevard Saint Germain on the back of the other, Pure Malt was still her favorite.

I really enjoy Tuscan Leather, but that's not something ladies enjoy, at least from what I've seen/heard.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    The average basenoter contributing to that list is not wearing a random sample of fragrances. Quite likely he wears TdH disproportionally often, he is hence more likely to receive a compliment on it, and he is probably more prone to remember it. A schoolbook example of sampling bias and likely confirmation bias.

But I agree with knowing your audience. You want to appeal to a certain person, or type of person, not a population average.
    Exactly.

Following that standard, everyone's opinion(s) in this thread will be useless.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Following that standard, everyone's opinion(s) in this thread will be useless.
    The difference is that the list is not giving you anything but a statistic and the statistic is severly flawed, hence useless, while the opinions of people in this thread or on the board in general give you something else than statistics.

The difference is that the list is not giving you anything but a statistic and the statistic is severly flawed, hence useless, while the opinions of people in this thread or on the board in general give you something else than statistics.
    On the contrary, you're pretty much comparing apples to apples. The list, if we go by your previous assertion, is based on people being complimented on a specific fragrance which in turn made them use that fragrance again and remember the compliment they received. The 'list' being created in this thread can readily become the same if given enough time. Meaning, the fragrance I mentioned, Pure Malt, has garnered a number of compliments and because of that it will be used on a more consistent basis thus reinforcing those initial compliments and eventually making it onto that larger list.

Additionally, what you're getting here is worse than statistics since it's based on flawed human memory.

On the contrary, you're pretty much comparing apples to apples. The list, if we go by your previous assertion, is based on people being complimented on a specific fragrance which in turn made them use that fragrance again and remember the compliment they received. The 'list' being created in this thread can readily become the same if given enough time. Meaning, the fragrance I mentioned, Pure Malt, has garnered a number of compliments and because of that it will be used on a more consistent basis thus reinforcing those initial compliments and eventually making it onto that larger list.

Additionally, what you're getting here is worse than statistics since it's based on flawed human memory.
    The anecdotes in this thread are interesting for what they are, anecdotes. But you are right, they are not more statistically relevant than the mentioned list. Nor have I claimed so.

The anecdotes in this thread are interesting for what they are, anecdotes. But you are right, they are not more statistically relevant than the mentioned list. Nor have I claimed so.
    Sure, they're interesting, my point was solely that they are no more a barometer of popularity/appeal than the list referenced.

Sure, they're interesting, my point was solely that they are no more a barometer of popularity/appeal than the list referenced.
    Absolutely. I was just objecting to the use of the "500+ list" as some sort of arbitrator on the matter, nothing else. I think we agree.

Absolutely. I was just objecting to the use of the "500+ list" as some sort of arbitrator on the matter, nothing else. I think we agree.
    Sure. Unfortunately, with something like fragrances, subjectivity will always win over any list.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Theres no way to accurately pin-point it, but generally:

Women like clean/fresh or slightly sweet scents on a man.
    Men really like musty woody unclean scents, but women usually don't.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

I somewhat agree. I think women like clean/fresh/slightly sweet in a higher ratio than men, and vice versa for musky/woody, even though in absolute numbers men could still prefer clean. Say 70:60, 30:40, for example. It would be interesting to see a proper statistical test on this.

Oh, I don't disagree with you on that at all. I'm just saying that it's silly to think scents as mainstream as Terre D'Hermes, Mugler Cologne and Pure Malt are generally disliked by women. That's a ridiculous assumption.

- - - Updated - - -

...but the list I mentioned is a compilation of scents men in this forum received compliments from women while wearing. Granted, men in this forum are more likely to have different taste in fragrances than your typical Joe Shmoe, but the women giving the compliments aren't basenotes members. Is Terre D'Hermes really a scent women dislike? As a generic statement, that is clearly not correct. Pure Malt? Generally disliked by women? No. And Mugler Cologne fits the clean/fresh category that women tend to prefer on a man.

Now, I think it's very safe to say that Terre D'Hermes is probably not a good choice for attracting women age 21 and under, and perhaps that's why Noir thinks women generally dislike it. Like I said, t's all about knowing your audience.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 26th February 2013 at 12:09 AM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

I disagree. But if you like to stress clichés, you're probably right.