Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    What fragrances, in your opinion do you generally find one sex really loving and the other really hating.

    IMO, Pure Malt, Mugler Cologne and Terre d' Hermes are scents that men love a lot, but I haven't seen many women liking it much.

    Bleu de Chanel is the opposite.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Encre Noire. A lot of us fellas like this stuff. Don't hear to many compliments on it from the ladies though.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 25th February 2013 at 12:54 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    No such thing as a scent that is mainly liked/disliked by one gender.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    I'm not sure where you're getting your info from about scents and genders, but there's a giant list of the most complimented scents as polled here on basenotes. Out of over 500 scents listed...

    ...Terre D'Hermes ranks #10.
    ...A*Men Pure Malt ranks #40.
    ...Mugler Cologne ranks #55.

    Prada Amber and Allure HS Edition Blanche aren't even in the top 100. L'Artisan's Tea For Two isn't even in the top 200.

    My point is that all of the scents you named seem to be quite well regarded by women, in general, since they get complimented by women a lot.

    In the end, it all comes down to knowing your audience. There is no scent that appeals to all women, nor is there one that appeals to all men. The more you know about the tastes of those you want to appeal to, the better you'll be at picking a scent for the occasion.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  5. #5
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    80,674

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    I speak only of my wife: My wife hates Racer on me, but I love it.

  6. #6
    Basenotes Junkie VintagePoison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    504
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    My dude doesn't like Sycomore and I really like it.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I'm not sure where you're getting your info from about scents and genders, but there's a giant list of the most complimented scents as polled here on basenotes. Out of over 500 scents listed...
    The average basenoter contributing to that list is not wearing a random sample of fragrances. Quite likely he wears TdH disproportionally often, he is hence more likely to receive a compliment on it, and he is probably more prone to remember it. A schoolbook example of sampling bias and likely confirmation bias.

    That list is statistically useless.

    But I agree with knowing your audience. You want to appeal to a certain person, or type of person, not a population average.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    I was complimented on Pure Malt yesterday by a friend's wife. I had Chergui on the back of one hand and Diptyque's 34 boulevard Saint Germain on the back of the other, Pure Malt was still her favorite.

    I really enjoy Tuscan Leather, but that's not something ladies enjoy, at least from what I've seen/heard.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    The average basenoter contributing to that list is not wearing a random sample of fragrances. Quite likely he wears TdH disproportionally often, he is hence more likely to receive a compliment on it, and he is probably more prone to remember it. A schoolbook example of sampling bias and likely confirmation bias.

    That list is statistically useless.

    But I agree with knowing your audience. You want to appeal to a certain person, or type of person, not a population average.
    Exactly.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    The average basenoter contributing to that list is not wearing a random sample of fragrances. Quite likely he wears TdH disproportionally often, he is hence more likely to receive a compliment on it, and he is probably more prone to remember it. A schoolbook example of sampling bias and likely confirmation bias.

    That list is statistically useless.

    But I agree with knowing your audience. You want to appeal to a certain person, or type of person, not a population average.
    Following that standard, everyone's opinion(s) in this thread will be useless.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Following that standard, everyone's opinion(s) in this thread will be useless.
    The difference is that the list is not giving you anything but a statistic and the statistic is severly flawed, hence useless, while the opinions of people in this thread or on the board in general give you something else than statistics.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    The difference is that the list is not giving you anything but a statistic and the statistic is severly flawed, hence useless, while the opinions of people in this thread or on the board in general give you something else than statistics.
    On the contrary, you're pretty much comparing apples to apples. The list, if we go by your previous assertion, is based on people being complimented on a specific fragrance which in turn made them use that fragrance again and remember the compliment they received. The 'list' being created in this thread can readily become the same if given enough time. Meaning, the fragrance I mentioned, Pure Malt, has garnered a number of compliments and because of that it will be used on a more consistent basis thus reinforcing those initial compliments and eventually making it onto that larger list.

    Additionally, what you're getting here is worse than statistics since it's based on flawed human memory.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    On the contrary, you're pretty much comparing apples to apples. The list, if we go by your previous assertion, is based on people being complimented on a specific fragrance which in turn made them use that fragrance again and remember the compliment they received. The 'list' being created in this thread can readily become the same if given enough time. Meaning, the fragrance I mentioned, Pure Malt, has garnered a number of compliments and because of that it will be used on a more consistent basis thus reinforcing those initial compliments and eventually making it onto that larger list.

    Additionally, what you're getting here is worse than statistics since it's based on flawed human memory.
    The anecdotes in this thread are interesting for what they are, anecdotes. But you are right, they are not more statistically relevant than the mentioned list. Nor have I claimed so.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    The anecdotes in this thread are interesting for what they are, anecdotes. But you are right, they are not more statistically relevant than the mentioned list. Nor have I claimed so.
    Sure, they're interesting, my point was solely that they are no more a barometer of popularity/appeal than the list referenced.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Sure, they're interesting, my point was solely that they are no more a barometer of popularity/appeal than the list referenced.
    Absolutely. I was just objecting to the use of the "500+ list" as some sort of arbitrator on the matter, nothing else. I think we agree.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    Absolutely. I was just objecting to the use of the "500+ list" as some sort of arbitrator on the matter, nothing else. I think we agree.
    Sure. Unfortunately, with something like fragrances, subjectivity will always win over any list.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Theres no way to accurately pin-point it, but generally:

    Women like clean/fresh or slightly sweet scents on a man.
    Men really like musty woody unclean scents, but women usually don't.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Theres no way to accurately pin-point it, but generally:

    Women like clean/fresh or slightly sweet scents on a man.
    Men really like musty woody unclean scents, but women usually don't.
    I somewhat agree. I think women like clean/fresh/slightly sweet in a higher ratio than men, and vice versa for musky/woody, even though in absolute numbers men could still prefer clean. Say 70:60, 30:40, for example. It would be interesting to see a proper statistical test on this.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    The average basenoter contributing to that list is not wearing a random sample of fragrances. Quite likely he wears TdH disproportionally often, he is hence more likely to receive a compliment on it, and he is probably more prone to remember it. A schoolbook example of sampling bias and likely confirmation bias.

    That list is statistically useless.

    But I agree with knowing your audience. You want to appeal to a certain person, or type of person, not a population average.
    Oh, I don't disagree with you on that at all. I'm just saying that it's silly to think scents as mainstream as Terre D'Hermes, Mugler Cologne and Pure Malt are generally disliked by women. That's a ridiculous assumption.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    The difference is that the list is not giving you anything but a statistic and the statistic is severly flawed, hence useless, while the opinions of people in this thread or on the board in general give you something else than statistics.
    ...but the list I mentioned is a compilation of scents men in this forum received compliments from women while wearing. Granted, men in this forum are more likely to have different taste in fragrances than your typical Joe Shmoe, but the women giving the compliments aren't basenotes members. Is Terre D'Hermes really a scent women dislike? As a generic statement, that is clearly not correct. Pure Malt? Generally disliked by women? No. And Mugler Cologne fits the clean/fresh category that women tend to prefer on a man.

    Now, I think it's very safe to say that Terre D'Hermes is probably not a good choice for attracting women age 21 and under, and perhaps that's why Noir thinks women generally dislike it. Like I said, t's all about knowing your audience.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 26th February 2013 at 12:09 AM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  20. #20

    Default Re: Men hate it women love it, Women hate it men love it

    Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Theres no way to accurately pin-point it, but generally:

    Women like clean/fresh or slightly sweet scents on a man.
    Men really like musty woody unclean scents, but women usually don't.
    I disagree. But if you like to stress clichés, you're probably right.

Similar Threads

  1. Which male fragrances do women really, really hate?
    By BurgundyMarsh in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 9th March 2012, 01:57 AM
  2. CKIN2U for Him - Love to hate or Hate to love thread
    By manicboy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 3rd July 2011, 05:26 PM
  3. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 15th May 2010, 11:27 PM
  4. Love and Hate
    By Tarheel Golfer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12th August 2009, 05:27 PM
  5. Fragrances women dislike or even hate
    By Xen in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15th June 2005, 07:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000