Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default My First Blind Buy Was A Strike Out!

After reading so many great Review on L'anarchiste by Caron I went ahead a ordered a bottle. It was a blind buy but I thought with so many great reviews I should love it! I received the bottle today and it came in a beautiful package and looks very expensive. For me that is were the positives end. I have to say it smells terrible to me. It smell like some cheap potpourri you can buy at a Dollar Store. Kind of reminds me of Bed Bath beyond would smell during Christmas. From it I get spiced apples, metallic and cinnamon. Wow thank God I bought it from FraganceX and they will take it back. I also ordered the Third Man I sure hopes it doesn't smell anything like this
    Smelling Good on a Budget!

Default Re: My First Blind Buy Was A Strike Out!

Blind buy's like a lottery, hit or miss...
    I have this, the PH and 3rd,I think I like 3rd man the best...

Sorry you had a bad experience with L'Anarchiste. Person ally I love the stuff.

Blog Entries

I've been itching to blind-buy L'anarchiste because there isn't a place in the city for me to test it first! Really want a sample.

Basenotes Member

[QUOTE=badarun;2857571]Blind buy's like a lottery, hit or miss...
    I have this, the PH and 3rd,I think I like 3rd man the best...[/QUOTE

Yes it is I knew I was taking a chance. I'm thinking its time to start investing in samples.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    I've been itching to blind-buy L'anarchiste because there isn't a place in the city for me to test it first! Really want a sample.
    Sample it first it is really different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sorry you had a bad experience with L'Anarchiste. Person ally I love the stuff.
    Thank you hopefully its a lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Sorry it didn't work out for you! Have to say I feel like a bit of an enabler lol. Sampling is definitely the way to go as it will end up saving you tons of cash in the long run, but most people have to learn this the hard way.

Banned
    Blog Entries

don't spend any money on blind buys that you wouldn't be comfortable spending on a heroin addict by the subway

Hard lesson to learn. I experienced the same with Armani Code Ultimate; bought it and now will most likely try and sell/trade it off.

It happens...

Let us know how you do with 3rd man!

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It happens...

Let us know how you do with 3rd man!

Sure will brought it on Ebay seller said he shipping out tomorrow

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Sorry it didn't work out for you! Have to say I feel like a bit of an enabler lol. Sampling is definitely the way to go as it will end up saving you tons of cash in the long run, but most people have to learn this the hard way.
    Actually I wanted to thank you franganceX customer service was excellent. Thank you for recommending them.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Lucky you. Maybe this first set of blindbuys will be the last blindbuy.

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    Here in the States, it's usually available in duty-free shops at airports - I've tried quite a few scents that way while traveling.

It was the same for me. I blind bought this really early in my fragrance journey and I really didn't like it and sold it. But I'd love to revisit it sometime.

Basenotes Member

I decided to keep it because I really like the bottle and actually wore it today. I wanted to give it a second chance. I felt like I needed to live with it for a day before returning it. I decided I didn't hate it. For some reason it smells different on my body than it did on my wrist. Its not my favorite of my collect but it is something that I would like to revisit from time to time

- - - Updated - - -

Today I wore L'anarchiste by Caron just to hang around the house. The more I wear it the more I am starting to love it. Today it is coming off so smooth and all the harshness I smelled when I first got it is gone. I don't know if it is me or the EDT is actually changing. I am not scared to admit when I am wrong and I was wrong about this one. So my first Blind Buy is starting to become a new favorite of mine
    Last edited by ChristianHT; 2nd March 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Funny, this mirrors the first time I tried Caron Pour un homme. Not quite a blind buy but I sprayed it on in a shop and as I spoke to the SA, I sniffed my wrist. My face must have changed immediately - for a moment I couldn't even think what I had just sprayed on: the top notes were just dreadful on my skin and the SA probably decided right that moment she wasn't going to make the sale. But something happened during the drydown (edit: i.e. the top notes went away) and by the time I got home the lavender and vanilla was so smooth I knew I had to have it.

Caron is such a bad fragrance house. Everything I've tried (8+) has been the lowest quality, cheapest smelling, unwearable doodoo.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    Funny, this mirrors the first time I tried Caron Pour un homme. Not quite a blind buy but I sprayed it on in a shop and as I spoke to the SA, I sniffed my wrist. My face must have changed immediately - for a moment I couldn't even think what I had just sprayed on: the top notes were just dreadful on my skin and the SA probably decided right that moment she wasn't going to make the sale. But something happened during the drydown (edit: i.e. the top notes went away) and by the time I got home the lavender and vanilla was so smooth I knew I had to have it.
    I think that's the thing with Caron! It happen to me with The Third Man also. I sprayed it on my wrist and it smelled so harsh to me. Then I tried it again on body and after an hour it changed to something I really like .I believe I smell the Vanilla, Musk and something really sweat can't put my finger on it. I am starting to really like this house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    Caron is such a bad fragrance house. Everything I've tried (8+) has been the lowest quality, cheapest smelling, unwearable doodoo.
    I am just starting to get into niche and I believe this a great introduction brand. They don't cost alot and smell very complex. Caron is not you average house for sure. There are so much different scents I get from the two I own. I feel you really have to live with these to appreciate them. They are not for everyone but have found a fan in me. I do understand not everyone with like these.
    Last edited by ChristianHT; 4th March 2013 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianHT View Post
    I think that's the thing with Caron! It happen to me with The Third Man also. I sprayed it on my wrist and it smelled so harsh to me. Then I tried it again on body and after an hour it changed to something I really like .
    I do hope you're right! I have 3ème Homme making its way to me as we speak. I don't know what is it that makes Caron openings apparently so ghastly on skin but I hope it changes into something very delectable after that. I'm very fond of Caron too, starting from Tabac Blond (no problems with that opening though).

I'm not so very familiar with vintage Caron to know if this is true across the board, but I've read that while a number of their perfumes for women have been reformulated significantly, their masculine scents have survived relatively well - and are very affordable to boot.

Basenotes Member

I do hope you're right! I have 3ème Homme making its way to me as we speak. I don't know what is it that makes Caron openings apparently so ghastly on skin but I hope it changes into something very delectable after that. I'm very fond of Caron too, starting from Tabac Blond (no problems with that opening though).

I'm not so very familiar with vintage Caron to know if this is true across the board, but I've read that while a number of their perfumes for women have been reformulated significantly, their masculine scents have survived relatively well - and are very affordable to boot.
    Please let us know how you like it.

Blind buying is not smart. Always test before you buy.

I decided to keep it because I really like the bottle and actually wore it today. I wanted to give it a second chance. I felt like I needed to live with it for a day before returning it. I decided I didn't hate it. For some reason it smells different on my body than it did on my wrist. Its not my favorite of my collect but it is something that I would like to revisit from time to time

- - - Updated - - -

Today I wore L'anarchiste by Caron just to hang around the house. The more I wear it the more I am starting to love it. Today it is coming off so smooth and all the harshness I smelled when I first got it is gone. I don't know if it is me or the EDT is actually changing. I am not scared to admit when I am wrong and I was wrong about this one. So my first Blind Buy is starting to become a new favorite of mine
    I've made the mistake of giving up on quite a few great scents on first impression as well. For some reason, it takes me a little while to "get it". Luckely, I finally started to understand this about myself and now, some of my immediate dislikes are in no doubt, my favorites > Amber Absolute, M7, Pure Havane. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this about myself and let Egoiste go, oh well, lesson learned. Enjoy L'anarchiste!

Please let us know how you like it.
    Reporting back on my 3ème Homme, which is by the way a vintage (i.e. tinted) bottle - no idea exactly how old it is though.

Actually, the real surprise was the Caron Pour Un Homme (also vintage) that I bought along with it - it opened with a deep, smooth and true lavender, which positively sang with the vanilla all the way to the happy ending. True, it didn't change much, but I didn't need it to. It had none of that ghastly opening (I reckon some approximation of bergamot or lemon, which my skin is very good at distorting) that dominated the first 30 - 45 minutes of the current formulation on me. Maybe whatever it was had gone "off" in the vintage bottle - well, good riddance, I'd say. But to my nose at least, the lavender and vanilla is pitched lower and rounder than the current version, almost like it had its corners worn smooth.

I'm still getting to know my vintage 3ème Homme. Not having had the opportunity to smell the current formulation, I can't make any comparison. But as with the vintage Pour Un Homme, I don't get that hideous harsh opening. My initial impression of 3ème Homme is that it's a busier, more complex creature, pitched a bit higher, with a bunch of florals going on between the lavender and vanilla bookends. It's all mixed very tightly. Maybe there's just too much going on for me right now, although this may change as I get to know the scent better.
    Last edited by rowan-; 16th March 2013 at 07:01 PM.

Basenotes Member

Reporting back on my 3ème Homme, which is by the way a vintage (i.e. tinted) bottle - no idea exactly how old it is though.

Actually, the real surprise was the Caron Pour Un Homme (also vintage) that I bought along with it - it opened with a deep, smooth and true lavender, which positively sang with the vanilla all the way to the happy ending. True, it didn't change much, but I didn't need it to. It had none of that ghastly opening (I reckon some approximation of bergamot or lemon, which my skin is very good at distorting) that dominated the first 30 - 45 minutes of the current formulation on me. Maybe whatever it was had gone "off" in the vintage bottle - well, good riddance, I'd say. But to my nose at least, the lavender and vanilla is pitched lower and rounder than the current version, almost like it had its corners worn smooth.

I'm still getting to know my vintage 3ème Homme. Not having had the opportunity to smell the current formulation, I can't make any comparison. But as with the vintage Pour Un Homme, I don't get that hideous harsh opening. My initial impression of 3ème Homme is that it's a busier, more complex creature, pitched a bit higher, with a bunch of florals going on between the lavender and vanilla bookends. It's all mixed very tightly. Maybe there's just too much going on for me right now, although this may change as I get to know the scent better.
    I never had the honor to get my hands on any Vintage Canon Fags. I have the newer ones. I just received my sample of Caron Pour Un Homme and am on the fence about this one. I love the way it starts off but the not too crazy about the dry down. Once it dries down it smells like Play-Dou to me. I have only tested it on my wrist so far but am going to give it wear tomorrow. I just tested eaux de caron pure and love it it just doesn't last on my skin. It fades into nothing in about 2 hours.

I have been impressed with the Caron house. I have Le Troisieme Homme, Yatagan and CPuH and like them all.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Sample,sample,sample first!!!
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

I never had the honor to get my hands on any Vintage Canon Fags. I have the newer ones. I just received my sample of Caron Pour Un Homme and am on the fence about this one. I love the way it starts off but the not too crazy about the dry down. Once it dries down it smells like Play-Dou to me. I have only tested it on my wrist so far but am going to give it wear tomorrow. I just tested eaux de caron pure and love it it just doesn't last on my skin. It fades into nothing in about 2 hours.
    I've tried the current formulation and two vintage versions of PuH so far (one '80s/'90s, the other one somewhat earlier I suspect). The drydown of all three are different enough, even to my untrained nose, for me to tell them apart blind. I'm guessing the Play-Doh in the current one is probably from the vanilla, which to me comes across as being too obvious - or at least more obvious. Whereas in the older bottles it is the lavender, and all the accompanying notes, that really sparkle. They are well worth seeking out, and still nowhere as pricey as other 'fumes of comparable vintage (not that I'm complaining).

I haven't tried Eaux de Caron, which I now realise is probably not the same as Eau de Caron... what is it with Caron names? Is this another case of Fleurs / Fleur de Rocaille?

Hey, ChristianHT, I meant to ask you, do you like Caron's 3rd Man? I know you ordered it blind.

I've tried to read through your posts where you mention it, but unless I missed something your reaction came across as a little vague. I got the feeling that it was something you were trying to get your nose around and maybe convince yourself to like, but weren't really crazy about initially. Is that correct?

So how do you like it?

Zirk Ikon came today. If you own Obsession or Opium, do not buy this.

Nice though.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Hey, ChristianHT, I meant to ask you, do you like Caron's 3rd Man? I know you ordered it blind.

I've tried to read through your posts where you mention it, but unless I missed something your reaction came across as a little vague. I got the feeling that it was something you were trying to get your nose around and maybe convince yourself to like, but weren't really crazy about initially. Is that correct?

So how do you like it?

It has become one of my favorites of my collection. I don't care for the initially scent but once it dries down it is simply amazing. I really appreciate the vanilla notes in the Third man and I now look for that note in my future frags. I wish PUH had that same note. The Vanilla to me in PUH smells artificial. I would love to smell the Vintage PUH to see if that note is the same.
    Last edited by ChristianHT; 22nd March 2013 at 05:03 PM.