Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default My thoughts on Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather

I'm not a big fan of Tom Ford's designer line at all. I really don't like it, so I decided to try their Tobacco Vanille (their most acclaimed fragrance from their Private Blend exclusive line). I really liked it and gave it a 9 out of 10. Aside from TV, Tuscan Leather is the second most acclaimed fragrance from Ford's exclusive line.

In a nutshell, this fragrance is 70% leather, 20% raspberry, and 10% some floral and spice notes (I honestly think there may even be some vetiver in here). A lot of people don't like this one, and I'm usually not into daring fragrances, so I'm surprised that I ended up liking this one.

Leather is the dominant note here. It's not a marketing gimmick. It's real pure leather. This fragrance has an industrial mechanical feel to it. If you like the gasoline vibe that Fahrenheit gives off (but I promise you that this leather note is ten times better than Fahrenheit's leather note), the smoke of Aventus or the ink cartridge vibe that Encre Noire gives off, then Tuscan Leather may be up your alley.

Though, truly, it it's own fragrance. The similarities are modest, but of all designers, I'd have to say that Encre Noire is the closest to what you're getting here. TL is really shrill and pungent, in a delightful way, but if you take in too much of it, you could get a headache. It's a sharp aroma that I just like a lot.

If you don't like the smell of leather, I really don't see any way that you'll like this. On the other hand, if you've only smelled cheap synthetic leather notes, the quality of how it's done may change your mind.

The raspberry notes smoothens it out, and gives it a feminine touch (as it is marketed as unisex). I still think this is a mostly masculine fragrance, but some women may be able to pull it off. Tom Ford is known for dark fragrances, and Tobacco Vanille is much lighter and smoother than this one.

The ingredients are quality and the overall scent is enjoyable. I can't say the scent is better than Tobacco Vanille all of the time, but it depends on the mood. Most of the time, I would prefer to wear TV, but there are just some times when I'm in the mood to wear Tuscan Leather and TV doesn't even come close. So, it's more of a scent to wear on occasion than daily.

That brings us to another topic: versatility. This certainly lacks versatility, as you are essentially smelling like an industrial machine. This would not go well in the summer or any warm weather, and I don't think conventional tastes would like this at all. Whereas Tobacco Vanille could be recommendable to a mainstream audience that's willing to spend more money, I truly think Tuscan Leather is mainly for people like us on basenotes who are passionate about fragrances and look for something strikingly different.

Another place where this suffers is price. This fragrance is $300 for 100ml and $200 for 50ml. I can't complain about the quality, because the quality is certainly there. If you are doing very well financially and you can afford to spend thousands on collection, then this is recommendable. But this is out of the price range of many people, and a lot of the people who can afford this may be better of spending their money on something more versatile Although I like this a lot, it's a price I won't pay.

There's a good chance I'll buy TV down the road when I have more money, but chances are I won't buy Tuscan Leather because I know I won't wear it much (even though I'll probably love it when I do). But if you are a fragrance collector I do recommend getting a decant of this!

But this is exactly what a niche fragrance generally is. You are paying more money for something exclusive, and something daring (unlike many of the fresh safe scents out there). This is for the collector (not the casual wearer). This is for personal enjoyment more than it is about pleasing other people.

Both limitations (price and versatility) keep it from being a perfect fragrance, but for niche lovers with peculiar tastes that relish a challenge and something unique, this will be to your liking.

Overall Rating - 8/10

Default Re: My thoughts on Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather

I agree, versatility sucks on this one.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's a versatile as a fragrance of this type can get. I don't see it being any more versatile without changing the entire fundamentals of it.

If this fragrance were $100 to 200 for a full bottle instead of $200 to 300, it could have easily gotten a 9 or 9.5

Because if you didn't have to pay a lot of money, it wouldn't matter if it weren't versatile because you could buy other more versatile scents.

This another one of his I personally don't care for.

Good review ND. Man, i think this is one of the classiest scents around but hard to compare it to TV. Maybe Golden Boy, Charles St, Type O, Clive C. I wear this one 20 times to 1 over TV. TV is much harder for me to wear. But TL doesnt hold a candle to Clive C but the leather in TL is well done and one of the most realistic leather notes today.

Basenotes Member

Thanks for the in depth review man. I recently purchased a small decant, but have only gotten the chance to wear it once. One thing is for sure, it is defiantly relentless. I had to scrub the stuff off at the end of the day. I'm really looking forward to blending it with Tobacco Vanille after I get a few solo wearings out of it.

Agree with your review. I like it, but its rather linear lineup of notes plus the outrageous price keep it on the " out of reach" list. having said that, 50ml bottles do go for about 80 on eBay here, which would make it a splurge buy.

Got 8ml free sample from the TF SA last time I was in

Absolutely love this when I have it on, but for some reason don't seem to reach for it too often, think you really have to be in the mood, so think my sample is going to last me a long time... so doubt I'll buy a FB in a hurry.

Go easy on the trigger, I went a bit mad one day when I got it first got it, and was stinking like a chemical weapon... people were dropping like flies all around me... lol...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Yeah nice review, I agree the versatility isnt great but I think its got more flexibility there than you imagine. Like you though I think theres better juice to spend $200+ on but a handy decant in the collection goes along way as my use of this fragrance does pick up in the cooler weather even though its not a particularly weather dependant scent like its brother TV which needs a careful touch to be worn in the summer.

To me C and this and definitely pretty similar, the raspberry note in C seems more subdued though.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Banned
    Blog Entries

yea, so basically, this is something i only see basenoters liking. and even then, most basenoters will have a reason not to want this. most people off of basenotes will hate this probably. but for those who are willing to pay top dollar for a leather scent will get something really nice.

Can't say I'm a fan but I don't really dislike it either. The crazy price tag certainly doesn't help it's case and for less money there are other leathers that I very much prefer.

Banned
    Blog Entries

curious, chili willi: what leathers do you prefer?

there probably are better leathers out there in the niche world, but tuscan leather is better than all of the designer leathers.

Yeah, definitely not the most versatile fragrance out there, and to be honest I'm not a huge fan. I do like it when layered with Tobacco Vanille, since it cuts down on the raw leather note a lot. Regardless of hedonist's snarky comment toward me recently, I still sand by my comment that the leather is too strong on this one, and could have been dialed back and they could have boosted the raspberry or spices.

One of my Top 10 favorites. I think this represents good value for the money, considering that just a small spray is all it takes.

I get a strong tobacco note in the base.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Thanks for the review.

I love Tuscan Leather. It may not work for some but it smells terrific on me. It has a tenacious leather accord that doesn't wimp out on you like many other leather fragrances tend to do. One spray or two max, otherwise projection gets beastly. I can't imagine a stronger raspberry note on it though. That would render it unwearable for me.

While I appreciate the concerns over the price tag, these usually come from the same people who spend $500-$700 on a score of mediocre cheapies over a few months without realising they could have easily bought 2-3 top performers for less.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 26th February 2013 at 02:34 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Duplicate post.

I'm going to sample most of the private blends. They all seem so interesting. What's next for the reviews? Noir de noir? Italian cypress? Oud wood?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Maybe italian cypress. Those are the only 2 of the tom fords i sampled.

I luv the Tuscan Leather. I'm always surprised when I look at my wear count here and see how little I actually wear it. Perhaps it's because it's not exactly versatile but I totally agree with ND when he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    It's a versatile as a fragrance of this type can get.

Wtf at your rating system. One you have out of 5 and the other you have out of 10.
    Im just gonna multiply your out of 5's by 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Wtf at your rating system. One you have out of 5 and the other you have out of 10.
    Im just gonna multiply your out of 5's by 2.

Banned
    Blog Entries

LMAO. Call it a 4 if you want.

Okay, if you want my out of 5 ratings for this.

Overall Smell - 4.5/5
    Originality - 3.5/5
    Versatility - 1/5
    Projection - 4/5
    Longevity - 4/5
    Value - 2/5
    Overall Rating - 4/5

Tuscan Leather is a great frag. Tried it two years ago when I received a decant. Still have the decant with a little left. IMO, It's not really necessary to purchase the 100ml, because you won't use this frag too often (even though it's a winner). The versitility factor will probably prevent this. Actually, I just tried Tobacco Vanille for the first time a few weeks ago (reason being I just thought I wouldn't like it). Man, was I wrong. That is one of the top three of the TF PB IMO. Great review bro!

It's horrid!! 1/10

lol Stick with 10s. I like it better!

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    curious, chili willi: what leathers do you prefer?

there probably are better leathers out there in the niche world, but tuscan leather is better than all of the designer leathers.
    First I like Naomi Goodsir's Cuir Velours. IMO the leather in TL smells like a mass produced leather seat on a barstool, but CV smells of a pair of high end, supple driving gloves. Just a much smoother rendition.

Second would be Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories. More masculine than the Naomi Goodsir and a bit more interesting if you ask me. I am going to plagiarize myself here and repeat what I said about LM in another thread: It starts as a cowboy's campfire and turns into his saddle. Not for everybody but very masculine and interesting in my opinion. I like it.

Re versatility, I suppose, but only if you're the sort of person who only wears 1 or 2 frags - if you're a male Basenoter and are looking for a modern leather, I think you could do a lot worse.

10 out of 10! It's my number 1 cold weather fragrance right now. I really liked it the first time I tried it and my love for it grew on each wearing since. It's simply fabulous.

While I agree that it is a great fragrance, Charles Street is just as good at a third of the price. I love both but wouldn't find a need for both so my recommendation would be Mark Birley Charles Street for those looking for a great raspberry leather mix.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

Personally not a fan. Doesn't smell like a leather jacket, couch, or automobile interior. It smells like leather that is still on a horse. Not as skanky as Dior Leather Oud (which smells like a dirty barnyard), but not what I want to smell like.

As far as the haggling over the rating... not sure why people use a certain range, then use fractions to give a more granular result. If 1,2,3,4,5 aren't precise enough, you should expand your range. 1-10 or 1-100 or 1-1000000. why not just use 0 - 1, and then give results of 0.872? Sorry, just a silly pet peeve of mine...

I sampled it once and my wife really liked it on me. But I myself didn't think it was too great. It was pretty linear and all I got was straight up leather, nothing else. This was like a leather belt or leather car seat type leather. For me, it was a projection and longevity beast.

I can see myself one day getting in on a split of this just because my wife likes it and I'm a huge fan of the Private Blend, but probably won't get it anytime soon.

i remember someone telling me it smelled like cocaine, i retested it and yep it smells like cocaine

Quote Originally Posted by hi_im_mike_t View Post
    i remember someone telling me it smelled like cocaine, i retested it and yep it smells like cocaine
    LOL, it does. Im mean, what does that smell like ?

I love it, my wife hates it....a constant struggle. Thanks for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    It's horrid!! 1/10
    1 is being generous. It actually made me feel queasy. So many better leathers to be had. Cuir Fetiche, Nostalgia, Hot Leather (Mark Buxton) Cuir (Lancome), Bandit, etc.

Tuscan leather is like a dessert that's so rich you can only take a couple of bites. Delicious, but man is it heavy. Dueto Golden Boy is a really nice alternative to TL. It's around $100 for a 3.4 oz bottle and is a much more versatile version of TF's version of leather.

I like it a lot and more importantly my wife likes it the most out of all the fragrances I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    1 is being generous. It actually made me feel queasy. So many better leathers to be had. Cuir Fetiche, Nostalgia, Hot Leather (Mark Buxton) Cuir (Lancome), Bandit, etc.
    Exactly my experience, made me feel sick - truly awful (but hey it's all subjective I guess)

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Tuscan leather is like a dessert that's so rich you can only take a couple of bites. Delicious, but man is it heavy. Dueto Golden Boy is a really nice alternative to TL. It's around $100 for a 3.4 oz bottle and is a much more versatile version of TF's version of leather.
    Agree!