Code of Conduct

Smile Do male fragrances ever come in parfum strength like women's fragrances?

Hello,I was just wondering if male fragrances are ever sold in perfume strength for male fragrances? I also would like to know why men's fragrances are generally sold in the EDT formulation compared to women's,which is stronger at the EDP strength. I do own one bottle of men's fragrance that is EDP strength for a men's fragrance called coach,which was just released to the market recently,but there are very few out there that are EDP strength for male fragrances and I would really like to know why that is and if anyone could tell me of any male fragrances you know of that are EDP strength because it would last loner on the skin so men would not have to reaply as often. I just don't understand why women's fragrances are a stronger strength than men's. Please basenotes community please explain this to me and let me know of men's fragrances that are EDP strength because it would be great if I didn't have to reaply throughout the day.
    Thank's,
    Jernizzle459

Default Re: Do male fragrances ever come in parfum strength like women's fragrances?

Bond 9 makes a perfume strength (mine lasts until the next morning; it can be disgustingly strong), as does clive christian.

Default Re: Do male fragrances ever come in parfum strength like women's fragrances?

Terre d'Hermès comes in pure parfum. Guerlain's Héritage and Habit Rouge at least come in edp.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

in my experience concentrations don't seem to be about strength. more often I find them different.
    many edts last longer than some edps.

I think it's all about skin types, also one should consider that women use a lot more fragrance than men by putting it in all sorts of places (ears, neck, breasts, hair, knees erm... feet?).

It´s a zeitgeist phenomenon and got econominal reasons (watered -down = use more, buy more).
    It was different in the history of mankind and the use of perfumes!
    Times change, people change; heretofore you can try Opium Homme EDP, Dior Homme Intense e.g. and some so called powerhouse frags out of the 80´s.

Sur la Plage

Guerlain Habit Rouge comes in Parfum stength.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

All Creeds (even masculine) are EDPs, most of niche market is EDP, and despite the fact they market most of their releases as unisex, some are 100% masculine.
    Terre D'Hermes comes in the eau de perfume concentration as well.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    Terre D'Hermes comes in the eau de perfume concentration as well.
    Terre d'Hermès is available as edt and parfum, there is no edp.

Some male Rance 1795 frags are EDPs.

Hello,do you have any clue as to why male fragrances tend to me of EDT strength and women's tend to be EDP strength? I really would like to what the real reason is?

The "heavy" use of fragrances or the use of perfume for men in general in our western society is still a bit proscribed! Sleazy! Disreputable!
    But times are changing with our help!
    Last edited by easyfish; 11th June 2010 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jernizzle459 View Post
    Hello,do you have any clue as to why male fragrances tend to me of EDT strength and women's tend to be EDP strength? I really would like to what the real reason is?
    I once read that it was to do with the reaction EDPs and parfums have on shaved skin - obviously the higher percentage of essential oils in an EDP and parfum could potentially wreak havoc with even day-old shaved skin.

Makes some sense in some ways, but I suspect that was just a theory rather than fact.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Terre d'Hermès is available as edt and parfum, there is no edp.
    Yes, I looked for it and you are right, I thought pure perfume concentration is too much for... anything.
    Last edited by trapper; 11th June 2010 at 12:42 PM.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I believe everything from Tom Ford's Private Collection are perfume strength. As far as perfumes marketed for men, there are very few, but tons of uni perfumes that don't compromise their masculinity. Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather are 2 great examples.

Unfortunately for many of us on a budget, perfumes are a bit pricey and more of a luxury. There are also plenty of EDT's and colognes with perfume quality and strength.

There are loads in EDP strength (see many niche, some higher end frags, artisinal scents, etc), but only a scarce few marketing solely to men in pure parfum strength, Terre d'Hermes being one of them. You can have Montale add more oil to their very strong EDPs, which I would wager pushes them far into parfum strength territory.

(btw, Tom Ford Private and Bond are EDP, not quite parfum strength)
    Last edited by jrd4t; 12th June 2010 at 11:11 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Thumbs up Re: Do male fragrances ever come in parfum strength like women's fragrances?

Also POUR UN HOMME DE CARON comes in perfume stength
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 11th June 2010 at 03:10 PM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Agree about concentrations and longevity , parfum tends to be richer and denser but not necessarily have better longevity

Dior Farenheit Absolute and Dior Homme Intense are both EDP arent they

Basenotes Institution

The entire Nasomatto line is parfum strength.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I believe everything from Tom Ford's Private Collection are perfume strength...
    No, you are mistaken. All of his are EdP strength, not perfume/parfum strength.

Quote Originally Posted by jernizzle459 View Post
    Well, it's all about what I call the "Impact Zone", men usually want their fragrance to be smelled by people in their immediate vicinity (1meter) while women allow themselves a bigger Impact Zone and what I call "Scent Clouds". Anyway, I was always taught that a gentleman should smell good but not -radiate- with fragrance.

As mentioned, Terre d'Hermes and Habit Rouge can be bought as perfume. (The HR extrait was limited edition.)

The Habit Rouge eau de parfum was limited edition in North America as Beau Cavalier. Warm and riche with the addition of agarwood (oud.)

Rance makes some great frags. I like Le Vainqueur. (Rance, sadly, has a "faux" history; read Luca Turin's blog.)

Finally, D'Orsay now offers Le Dandy in the eau de parfum strength. (Le Dandy EDT is one of my summer favourites.)

Different box and different forumulation. It no longer has oakmoss. (D'Orsay is another company with "faux" history; read "The Perfume Handbook" and "Perfume Presentations.")

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
    I think it's all about skin types, also one should consider that women use a lot more fragrance than men by putting it in all sorts of places (ears, neck, breasts, hair, knees erm... feet?).
    I don't think men apply differently than women, or use less than women. Men splash or spray on the neck, chest, arms...on the body hair. Some spray under trouser legs.
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th June 2010 at 05:22 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Villoresi Uomo is also available in a Profumo edition.

It is not an 'amped up version', so much as a less 'bright' take on the original with a bit more depth and duration - very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I don't think men apply differently than women, or use less than women. Men splash or spray on the neck, chest, arms...on the body hair. Some spray under trouser legs.
    Well Primrose, to be honest with you I spray Floris No 89 on my feet from time to time .

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
    Well Primrose, to be honest with you I spray Floris No 89 on my feet from time to time .
    I spray scent on my back and in my hair...

BTW, I like this guy, and I love posting this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8bqVL0VXrE
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th June 2010 at 05:45 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Clive Christian No1 Pure Perfume for men is definitely perfume strength.

Are you ought of your mind? Nobody in there right mind would pay that for any perfume or cologne. That one bottle cost's close to the cost of my entire collection of cologne's. It is $865.00. That is only 1.7 ounces. If you were to get enough to equall a normal 3.4 ounce bottle it would cost a total of $1730 plus shipping cost's. If you know of any pure purfume fragrance for men that actually is not extremely expensive like clive christian number 1 let me know. I would never pay this for a purfume or cologne that cost's this amount. I would not care if it was the best smelling fragrance in the world. This is for people that money is no object to them,which I do not have the money to burn $865.00 on a 1.7 ounce bottle of purfume. This is oughtrageous to pay this amount.

I think one reason you see few male parfums is that we tend to spray all over rather than use the more effete dab here/dab there technique. I also think, present company perhaps excluded, most men would balk at the price of a parfum. Speaking of which, which frag are you talking about that's $865 for 1.7oz?

CC is outrageously priced, but extrait concentrations are comparatively cheap on the men's side of the counter. Just look at Caron's Impact Pour un Homme and Hermès' Terre d'Hermès; they're only slightly more expensive than the edts. Compare that to most any extrait marketed towards women...

As an example, Chanel charges around 150 euros for 15 ml, while you can get 75 ml of TdH for around 80 euros I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    CC is outrageously priced, but extrait concentrations are comparatively cheap on the men's side of the counter. Just look at Caron's Impact Pour un Homme and Hermès' Terre d'Hermès; they're only slightly more expensive than the edts. Compare that to most any extrait marketed towards women...

As an example, Chanel charges around 150 euros for 15 ml, while you can get 75 ml of TdH for around 80 euros I think.
    I think the Habit Rouge parfum went for $365 USD a bottle in the 50 ml size. Still cheaper than women's perfume.
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th June 2010 at 11:18 PM.

The Millesimes from Creed are EDP. Profumum Roma and Frapin also.

Massiveattack1987

Every Amouage is also EDP.

The ones that i know in Parfum concentration, marketed as masculine:

Terre dHermes Parfum
    La Nuit de Lhomme Le Parfum
    Puredistance M Extrait
    Caron L'Impact de Pour Un Homme
    Habit Rouge

There are the Nasomattos, but i dont know if any of them is marketed as masculine

Quote Originally Posted by Massiveattack1987 View Post
    Every Amouage is also EDP.
    Thank you for reviving a 19 month old thread just to make that point!

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    I don't see the problem, it was an interesting read

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    I'm glad he did. I missed it first time around.

Midnight in Paris is an EDP, though it seems woefully weak to me.

yes most fragrance house have HdP alternative or just HdP

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    I don't see the problem, it was an interesting read
    Ditto here for reviving an old thread. It shows someone is using the search feature rather than generating a new thread.

Yes... Many lalique sells EDP, as nobody cited yet.

YSL La Nuit de L'Homme is available as an EDP, a damn good one too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lot's of em

I've noticed a dramatic growth in the number of eau de parfums and pure parfums for men since I joined Basenotes, in both the designer and niche sectors.

Heck, even Acqua di Gio, the last fragrance that you would expect to follow this trend, now comes in eau de parfum: Acqua di Gio Essenza. And it's selling very well.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Wasn't OP just a troll? I remember him from the earlier parts of the compliments thread, trolling away. Nice resurrection, Tony!

IMHO not always much is better.

I have several 24% concentration scents, they can be oppressive. I don't like the usual niche scents because of that. In my case, a 3 or 4 hour long longevity scent is fine.

On the other hand, perfume by itself doesn't mean much for some will project a lot (Shalimar erxtrait) while others will stick to your skin (I get that feeling from Terre perfume).

So it ends up being a matter of personal pteference.

There are many edp's mentioned in this thread so if some of these are your cup of tea, fine.

Enviado desde mi GT-S5830M usando Tapatalk 2