Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Which scents gets you the most negative comments?

"ewww you smell like old lady/man"

Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    Taiwan. I have never smelt fragrance on men here like...ever. It is considered gay for men and slutty for women to wear fragrance here...

Whenever my I visit my mom here and she smelt my fragrance. She always tells me "you can come out of the closet if you want to, I will be strong"
    Lol that's funny.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think the funniest one that i got was when i was using SL tubereuse criminelle, not so much of a comment but more of a funny look i guess

It was in the morning and while i was about to leave home, my mom with a worried / curious look asked me if had smelt some flower scent. ( There's a belief in Indonesia that if you suddenly smell tuberose / jasmine it means that there's a ghost passing by ). Knowing her look, I told her that i was using a tuberose fragrance. Then with her relieved look she said,"Oh, I thought it was 'Something' else"

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    The worst comment I ever got was when I was wearing Mugler Cologne?

Yes, the soapy neroli juice that everyone has been raving as the non-cologney safe bet.

They said it was the worst cologne they smelled in their life and it reminded them of witch hazel and hospital bandages.

No matter what you wear, someone is going to not like it.
    Maybe it's the sperm note?

For me, Knize Ten.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My wife doesn't like Burberry London. She said it smells like Pine bathroom cleaner. She also hated Encre Noire just saying, "why would anyone ever want to smell like that!!?".

I also received a negative comment at work regarding LIDGE. It wasn't at me directly but someone said something smelled bad.

Costume National Intense - "why do u smell like hookers and cigarettes?"

Rive Gauche - "all you're missing is slicked back hair, a polyester suit, and a used car lot."

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I also received a negative comment at work regarding LIDGE. It wasn't at me directly but someone said something smelled bad.
    and you thought it was you..someone else might be wearing DHI

Kidding :-)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

L'autre by Diptyque. Liked it myself, my better half hated it

I think the only "negative" comment I've directly gotten is from my mom. She said 1861 gave her a headache and was just not vry good smelling. I didn't mind it, but I had high hopes.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 11th March 2013 at 10:07 AM.

My son and daughter dislike Oud 27 - in fact it's the only one they forbid me to wear in their presence. My daughter made a special, ernest, heartfelt request that I would not wear it on Parent's Evening at her school..and also that I put my phone on silent because my (self-made) ringtone was too 'weird' and would alarm her friends and discredit her sensible reputation.

*Sigh*

- - - Updated - - -

I would add that my mother doesn't like anything about me (including what I smell like or what I've done or what I like) and also moans at the TV all night and dislikes every other person on the planet because they're 'rubbish' look 'weird' or they're 'stupid' or 'can't speak properly'.

- - - Updated - - -

Er, what were we talking about?

I have said this before on a thread about funny stories regarding perfumes, but I will say it again here....
    I was at a party and slightly overdosed on Tabac Blond extrait. A friend of mine said that I smelled like a 17th century whore.
    We laughed about it all evening !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Ohh the looks I get when using my decant of Pure Leather. I keep it and other frags in sock drawer. Have to keep it in a plastic bag to insure it does not leak on the socks.

Ohh the looks I get when using my decant of Pure Leather. I keep it and other frags in sock drawer. Have to keep it in a plastic bag to insure it does not leak on the socks.

bump

My fiancé is VERY vocal about my frags. She'll tell me immediately if she hates something. If she likes it, it may take a while. If she loves it, she's clings to me like a magnet

I bought a slightly used musc Ravageur a long time ago, since I was struggling with wether I loved it or hated it.

First time I wore it around her, she gave me a "ooof you stink!"
    That pretty much sealed it for me.

People don't tend to like Montale Cuir d'Arabie...It is kinda Avante Garde.

-1 Fahrenheit

My girl kept on telling me how she could not stand it. I kept on telling her this is what a man should smell like, fresh out of fixing a car. When we were at a traffic congestion that, she asked me "is that the smoke from the cars around us or is that you?"

Fahrenheit Absolute. Girlfriend, who enjoys all my other scents so far, genuinely loathes it and asked me to not wear it in a 10 mile radius around her. My second and last try to see if she'd change her mind about it lol.

We need a tally like in the compliment thread

Great thread topic.

Both my mom and my wife HATED Guerlain Derby. In fact, my wife has told me all the older Guerlains smell "like something an old man/lady would wear" (Mitsouko, Habit Rouge).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    MOST NICHE...seriously

This makes a lot of sense. Many (not all, of course) designer scents are for mass appeal and to sell as many bottles as possible (appeal to the masses). Only makes sense that the large designers will shy away from scents that have high negative feedback. Niche brands may be more open to push the envelope. Just my opinion.

The above is part of why I find most indie scents (not designer, not niche but small time outfits) awful. They are overpowering and over-the-top most of the time.

For some reason ppl hate angel man on me.

Knize Ten (Smells like antigel???) + Amouage Silver Man (Smells like an old lady???)

Slumberhouse norne (What's this smell??? 2x from different people...)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Dior Leather Oud.
    Funny that you posted that, as I wore Robert Piguet's Oud today to work and it prompted someone to wander the cubicles loudly saying "SOMETHING smells musty and old. Something smells like dirt! Or old lady perfume!"...when I said it was my fragrance, his face squished and all I could think was - "THANK GOD I wasn't wearing Leather Oud, or he would have jumped out the window".

For the record, I love both Leather Oud and Piguet's Oud.

Also, for some reason, my partner hates Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain and will not let me live it down. Even half a squirt makes him go open a window. But the ladies at work all say they want to eat me up when I wear any of the above...go figure.

Guerlain Derby, which is one of my favorite scents.

The worst remark I received on it, "That cologne smells like some cheap Avon aftershave."

I was mortified. I had just spent 200 bucks for it.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

A*men and Dirty English by Juicy Couture.

I've had 3 separate "never wear that again" comments while wearing Portrait of a Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by butterblades View Post
    I've had 3 separate "never wear that again" comments while wearing Portrait of a Lady.
    wow. was it from men or women, what age group, and what were the circumstances?

Im curious because this gets pushed as a masterpiece, and I've actually gotten a compliment on it. But it goes to show masterpieces for fragheads dont necessarily translate to mainstream appeal.

Once at work, on a day that it was particularly warm in the office, I walked by a coworker and she said, "something smells like Comet." Now I'm not certain it was me, but I doubt it was coincidence. I was wearing Santal 33.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    wow. was it from men or women, what age group, and what were the circumstances?

Im curious because this gets pushed as a masterpiece, and I've actually gotten a compliment on it. But it goes to show masterpieces for fragheads dont necessarily translate to mainstream appeal.
    My wife for one (30) absolutely hates it. The others were male mid 30's and female mid 20's.

The only fragrance insult I had: Someone once told me Venezia smelled like Bugspray

John Varvatos by John Varvatos - the best comment was "you smell like a foreigner"

My wife also dislikes Himalaya by Creed because it smells "perfumey"

My dentist hates Polo Green. She hinted at it.

Portrait of a Lady, and it ain't even close.

Halitosis, flatulence, and sweaty body odor.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post

Yeah, come to think of it, I did get some funny looks when I wore Leather Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

Same thing at work for me. And all I was wearing was one spray of LIDGE. Told it was too strong and smelled like women's perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by alexwagner View Post
    Was told Narciso Rodriguez for Him smelled like shaving cream
    Uh, that should be considered a compliment....considering

Banned
    Blog Entries

aramis havana got me a few frowns

Has anyone ever received negative comments about Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur ?

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Every time I wear Ambre Narguille here, people find it too offensive since it can fill the room with 1-2 sprays.

My mum hate Patchouli in Coromandel and any patchouli heavy scents.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    Has anyone ever received negative comments about Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur ?
    I have not. Wore it a few times so far - no comments one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Bois du Portugal. One girlfriend threatened to break up with me if I ever wore it again.
    Never date insane women.

For me it was Michael Kors for Men. One spray and people would wince when I approached them. Stopped wearing it. Tossed it out. Only decent thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    No, but I'll make one now. It costs $250 and it smells just like Theorema Uomo for Men by Fendi that can be had for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Very harsh words! If I were you NEVER EVER wore that specific scent, even if that was AVENTUS!!!!!!!!!

Her: Oh my God! What is that potent smell!
    Me: It will die down soon.
    Her: It better!

A*Men

I was visiting my parents about a year ago, they live in more than 100 year old house made of timber. The house is in perfect condition. Anyway, that day I wore Villoresi's Patchouli. The whole day my father was extremely worried that some of the timbers are decaying. Soon I realized that the earthy tones of my scent is what he is smelling. I told him to just relax and wait: it might not be decaying timbers but something completely different.

Whenever I wear Acqua Allegoria Pamplelune somebody in the room will say that he or she smells a strong and nasty sweat. I've known to take care of my personal hygiene, so usually I'm not the one who gets the blame. It's kind of depressing that anything acidic smells like sweat to some people. It's the equivalent of being completely color blind and having like 5% vision.

I wear fragrances every day in my work environment, usually receiving favorable comments or none at all. But there are some types of fragrances that annoy my colleagues, who make negative comments about them - those containing oud (usually complaints by Americans) and those containing fig (usually comments by Saudis). Must be something there related to cultural experience and preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    Never date insane women.

For me it was Michael Kors for Men. One spray and people would wince when I approached them. Stopped wearing it. Tossed it out. Only decent thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

No, but I'll make one now. It costs $250 and it smells just like Theorema Uomo for Men by Fendi that can be had for cheap.
    If I didn't date insane women, I wouldn't have nearly as much fun as I do. Good God, the memories . . . .

But for what it's worth, the woman who hated Bois du Portugal was the most straightlaced of all of them: a 34 year old attorney with a decidedly conservative outlook.

As an update, Musc Ravageur was despised by several women before I sold it. And after one woman told me she never wanted me to wear anything but Neroli Portofino, the next one told me that I smelled like flowery strawberries when I wore it and shouldn't wear it with her ever again.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Great stories, everybody, you're cracking me up.

The only one I've had so far was New Haarlem, but that was as much due to my expectations. I'd just gotten it -- my first gourmand, not a style I usually like. But something just leapt out at me when I sampled it, and I loved it. Got home all excited, stuck out my arm, said to my wife, "What do you think of this?" And she said, "Ehh. Kind of powdery." And went back to what she was doing.

Totally dismissive! Not interested, one way or the other! Could not have cared less! Man, that was a bummer.

Oh well, I asked, right?

It had to be Acqua di Gio from my teens... "you smell like burnt grass. Get out of here!" - by my one and only father

Terre d' hermes. Someone asked who sprayed lysol lol and i agree. it smells horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    Terre d' hermes. Someone asked who sprayed lysol lol and i agree. it smells horrible.
    You, sir, are high.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Poison, pure vintage parfum.

Two dabs under each ear, shortly before entering a public bus.
    The lady beside me was squinching and squirting like crazy.
    What the hell was I thinking? I was so embarrest.

I cannot remember anyone saying anything negative per se.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    You, sir, are high.

while I may be high, unfortunately not even the smell of weed can get rid of the stench of Terre d' hermes..

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    while I may be high, unfortunately not even the smell of weed can get rid of the stench of Terre d' hermes..

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I wear fragrances every day in my work environment, usually receiving favorable comments or none at all. But there are some types of fragrances that annoy my colleagues, who make negative comments about them - those containing oud (usually complaints by Americans) and those containing fig (usually comments by Saudis). Must be something there related to cultural experience and preferences.
    I can bet you that your Shamee (those that hail from Syria,Lebanon ,Palestine and Jordan) colleagues would love the fig.
    Figs are a staple there.

for swap/sale:

Antaeus. Sadly, I have also had many complaints when I wear Lagerfeld and have to give it away.

Basenotes Member

Black Orchid.

A co-worker says I smell like burning tyres when I wear it.

I had someone tell me "I smelled like Bug Spray" YSL Opium pour homme.

Joop Homme; a very divisive scent.

La Nuit (and John Varvatos Vintage) gives me a massive headache that won't go away unless I sleep it off. I gave the bottle away to my brother, and while he likes it and wears it outside, he did admit to getting headaches "once or twice".

The only negative comments I received was when I wore A*Men around two male friends and the tar was in full bloom. They looked thoroughly disgusted and asked me what the hell I was wearing. However, I went to a club later that very night and got lucky with a chick who couldn't stop raving about how "delicious" I smelled. Go figure.

Another funny, but not necessarily negative comment I received was from my mother when I was trying out Guerlain Vetiver. She said I smelled like Hamam, a local brand of soap popular for its purported medicinal properties. She was genuinely surprised as to why I'd want to pay thousands of rupees to smell like something that could be bought for twenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    The lady beside me was ... squirting like crazy.
    Must have been quite a wild bus ride. Are you sure it was the fragrance and not your Tom Ford-like appearance?