Code of Conduct

Default Overrated and Underrated Designer Scents on BN

Here is my take, from my experience in the last 3 or so months, in the order presented. All are current formulations.

What are your own observations as to most overrated and underrated on BN?

Overrated:

1. Dior Fahrenheit (incredibly overrated -- awesome scent, worst longevity ever -- it makes me want to cry)
    2. L'Occitane Eau des Baux (not bad but not overly exciting, given the hype train here)
    3. Chanel Platinum Egoiste (run of the mill)
    4. YSL Rive Gauche (dies on my skin, and relatively unexciting)
    5. Fresco (overrated by the lovers of it -- I appreciate that there are haters too -- among many things, almost zero longevity/projection)

Underrated:

1. JPG Le Male
    2. ADG Essenza
    3. YSL La Nuit
    4. PR 1 Million
    5. Davidoff Cool Water

I can't speak for A*Men Pure Malt, Kouros or Yatagan, all of which I have ordered but have yet to receive. I intend to order DHI and LIDGE, as soon as I can track them down.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 26th February 2013 at 07:53 PM.

Default Re: Overrated and Underrated Designer Scents on BN

Personally I have very high opinions of Fahrenheit and Rive Gauche

The scents you rate as being underrated are actually quite popular, especially with the general masses lol. Fahrenheit has great longevity it may just be olfactory fatigue?

PR 1 million underrated?

Over used, over sprayed and over every teenager more like.

I have a virtually unused bottle of it here and can't bring myself to wear it. It reminds me when joop first came out and everyone had it and splashed it on freely. Uncaring that it was polluting the air around them.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieNose View Post
    PR 1 million underrated?

Over used, over sprayed and over every teenager more like.

I have a virtually unused bottle of it here and can't bring myself to wear it. It reminds me when joop first came out and everyone had it and splashed it on freely. Uncaring that it was polluting the air around them.
    I'm not asking you to agree with me. I was inviting your own listing. And by the way -- your post completely supports my view of 1M being underrated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    The scents you rate as being underrated are actually quite popular, especially with the general masses lol. Fahrenheit has great longevity it may just be olfactory fatigue?
    I beg to differ. I have spent countless hours on this forum reading and in my view, the scents I have listed as underrated are underrated on BN. I was not talking about the general masses. In fact, that is one of the reasons they are likely underrated here -- because of their popularity with the general masses.

I spray a frag on my daughter's wrist every morning before she goes to school. Fahrenheit lasts maybe 1.5 hours. Maybe. That is the same amount of time it lasts on me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Personally I have very high opinions of Fahrenheit and Rive Gauche
    I appreciate that. Many many many BNers do. That is precisely my point.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 26th February 2013 at 09:49 PM.

Don't agree with your list, but to each his own.But I do respect your opinion. A lot of the one's you listed as underrated are quite popular on BN.

Underrated is being that it is not relatively known or talked about, many of those scents are continuously spoken about whether it is in comparison threads, bashing threads or whatever. It is safe to say that most members here smelt those fragrances and have an opinion on them. But it's your lsit and I respect it.

Weird, I get at least 10 hours longevity from Fahrenheit. Maybe it just doesn't sit well with your skin. Not every fragrance sits well with everyone i guess.

Overrated: Gucci PH II

Underrated: Burberry Brit

1. Dior Fahrenheit (incredibly overrated -- awesome scent, worst longevity ever -- it makes me want to cry)
    Much of the really intense love for Farenheit probably comes from those who knew the older versions. This used to be very, very strong stuff. However you should also keep in mind that longevity can be very subjective. I know even the same skin can give different results from day-to-day.

The opening may seem run of the mill now (remember this is two decades old) but even today Platinum Egoiste's development makes it worthwhile to many. Fresh fragrances with depth, development, a sense of class and solid lasting power arn't exactly a dime a dozen and I'll always give them props compared to those that sell themselves with pleasent top notes and then go nowhere or dissapear entirely. I would never put this up with my favourites and I think it's lightyears behind Egoiste but all the same I'd put it ahead of Bleu and the entire Allure line.

5. Fresco (overrated by the lovers of it -- I appreciate that there are haters too -- among many things, almost zero longevity/projection)
    I can't speak for its popularity but I'd just like to point out that outside the Fresco hype thread I don't think I've seen this mentioned more than twice. In other words if you are bothered by Fresco hype the good news is unless you seek it out you probably won't be swamped with it.

1. JPG Le Male
    Only your post count allows me to forgive you for calling this underrated :P (perhaps try backtracking through some older threads?)

3. YSL La Nuit
    This also got plenty of hype a short while back.

I don't say these things to underwrite your opinion. For those you consider underrated I think it would please you to see just how much good has been said of these in the past here, while for Farenheit and Platinum Egoiste I hope you give them a few more chances. Especially as the longevity issues of Farenheit may well be a temporary problem that further reformulation will remedy.

Overrated- hard to tell, since its not that easy to pin down the prevailing trends on BN

Underrated, among others- Ungaro II, YSL pour Homme, Le Dix by Balenciaga, Boss No. 1, Davidoff Relax, Francesco Smalto pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbkr123 View Post
    Here is my take, from my experience in the last 3 or so months, in the order presented. All are current formulations.

What are your own observations as to most overrated and underrated on BN?

Overrated:

2. L'Occitane Eau des Baux (not bad but not overly exciting, given the hype train here)
    4. YSL Rive Gauche (dies on my skin, and relatively unexciting)

Underrated:

1. JPG Le Male
    2. ADG Essenza
    3. YSL La Nuit
    4. PR 1 Million
    5. Davidoff Cool Water

I can't speak for A*Men Pure Malt, Kouros or Yatagan, all of which I have ordered but have yet to receive. I intend to order DHI and LIDGE, as soon as I can track them down.
    Please post a review of Yatagan when recieved. I'm about to blind buy it.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Basenotes Plus

My initial impressions tend to be wrong at times but my overrated is after one test:

Overrated - The One by Gentlemen (Not because of the longevity, but I just don't get why people think the overall smell is so great.)

Underrated - Magnetism for Men by Escada (Might be because it's just the flavor of the month for me but I think this scent is fantastic and unique. It's unfortunate this is discontinued because nothing smells similar to it.)

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post
    Please post a review of Yatagan when recieved. I'm about to blind buy it.
    Yes. I would be happy to give you my impressions. Bear in mind though that due to my inexperience, I am unable to give anything more than a very unsophisticated overall opinion. But I'm happy to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess this was kinda a dumb thread. Sorry about that. And sorry for getting defensive. Who really cares? I have friends fighting cancer right now. Opinions on fragrances are interesting but shouldn't evoke the responses I gave.

All I can say is that I have spent at least 3 hours a day almost every single day for the past 3 months reading thread after thread on this site. The fragrances I listed as underrated are in my view, underrated relative to my personal experience with them. I have full bottles of all the frags I mentioned and wear them all regularly.

As for Le Male, I cannot begin to say how many posts I have read with people hating on it. Slamming the ever living crap out of it. Same thing over and over -- a synthetic mess, too sweet, and too common and over used. Same with ADG and Essenza (although less so with Essenza relative to the EDT). 1M is definitely the worst. Lots and lots of haters. Huge. I actually don't think it's that bad. I do think it can be cloying but I wear it sparingly and enjoy it in the right circumstances. La Nuit seems split (or maybe a small majority in favour), and Cool Water seems neither loved nor hated. From what I have seen it doesn't seem to garner too much comment from many except in the context of a GIT comparison.

As for Fahrenheit, I wish that it lasted on me. I absolutely adore the scent, but despise how it teases me for an hour and then runs away. I can only conclude that vintage was much more potent.

Anyway, it's all good, and my apologies to those who I lashed out against.

@ MikeT -- "Only your post count allows me to forgive you for calling this underrated :P (perhaps try backtracking through some older threads?)"

You're absolutely correct. I'll stick to reading instead of posting for a while until I get more up the curve.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 26th February 2013 at 09:46 PM.

Sound Scents

Two that are overrated, IMO: Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense by Dior
    Two that are underrated, IMO: Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy and JHL by Aramis
    Last edited by drseid; 26th February 2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: changed to designer scents
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Mtnbkr123 - sorry mate for sounding overly offensive in my post its just that's the emotion 1 Million evokes in me. I smell it nearly everywhere I go when I'm out and it's always over sprayed.

That's the good thing about scents, the emotions some people attach to them. I was recently wearing allure homme to work and a female colleague got a bit upset as it reminded her of her recent boyfriend she had just broken up with.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Designers.

Underrated
    Versace Eau Fraiche
    Davidoff Cool Water
    Mont Blanc Legend
    1 Million
    Acqua Di Gio

Overrated
    Allure Homme
    All 398 flankers of Allure Homme
    Terre de Hermes
    Pure Havane
    and the trainwreck known as Fresco

Overrated: Armani Code

This is a very subjective thread. There will be very few that will agree with one another I feel, and most will have their own opinions on certain fragrances. I read in this that someone thought dior homme and intense were overrated, but both of those are some of my favorites and I feel they deserve the hype. Fahrenheit lasts and lasts on me, I plan on picking up a bottle soon. Fragrance is very subjective.

Overrated:
    Burberry London
    Fahrenheit
    Rive Gauche
    LeMale
    Terre d'Hermes

Underrated:
    Quorum
    VanCleef & Arpels PH
    Prada Amber PH
    1 Million
    Bvlgari Man
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Whether individuals on this website consider a fragrance underrated or overrated, never affects my decision to make it become another scent in my collection if I so choose. Yes this is very subjective indeed.

Some would say the OP's list are backwards....
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    Agreed!

Basenotes Plus

BN is another micro segment of society with its own take on what is a good fragrance and therefore popular and what is not. Are we interpreting 'popular' as 'overrated'? Is 'unpopular' = 'underrated'?

Honestly I have never understood why guys obsess over ratings on something as subjective as fragrance...and in the same breath hanker for something unique to wear, only to seek peer approval later in online threads. Grow a set, be confident in your choices. Screw the ratings...!

I would check the originality of the Fahrenheit you own - I have dry skin and parfums that last 6hrs on a regular Joe lasts 1-3 hrs for me, but Fahrenheit gives me 10+ hrs solid...

Back to your request on underrated / overrated:
    Overrated - entire houses of Bond # 9, Clive Christian & Creed
    Underrated: Entire houses ---- Frapin / Histoires de Parfums / Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier & Parfumerie Generale
    &
    Individual perfumes ----- Bel Ami by Hermes / Eau Sauvage EDP (not the EDT) / New York EDT Parfum de Nicolai / Odori Tabacco & Cuoio
    Last edited by badarun; 27th February 2013 at 07:29 AM.

Overrated : Chanel AHS , Bleu , Platinum Egoiste , YSL L'Homme .

Underratted : D&G The One , Opium PH EDT .

I spray a frag on my daughter's wrist every morning before she goes to school.
    Why would you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Maybe you should just let your daughter be by herself at school instead of staying around to sniff her.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralmeida View Post
    Why would you do this?
    Maybe his daughter wants to wear fragrance to school. I don't get the criticism as long as she likes the fragrance and he isn't slathering her in it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ashara View Post
    Maybe his daughter wants to wear fragrance to school. I don't get the criticism as long as she likes the fragrance and he isn't slathering her in it.
    I was talking about the implication of smelling her after 1.5 hrs (from knowing that's how long it lasts on her).
    No issues with the spraying itself.

I don't get your criticism of my post as long as everything's in good fun and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    All I had to do was see Cool Water as one of the under rated fragrances and Fahrenheit as the most over rated. Just goes to show how different some people's tastes are.

underrated : bvlgari extreme
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London
    Spring-Autumn : Bvlgari Pour Homme & Prada Man
    Summer : Bvlgari Aqva & Aqua Fahrenheit
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Underrated: Bel Ami, new formulations of classics.
    Overrated: Terre d'Hermes, anything that needs a "(vintage)" after its name for people to qualify it as good.

That said, I think I like TdH more than I do Bel Ami, and I find vintage D&G pour Homme to be superior to the current formulation.

Overrated:

Bleu de chanel
    LIDGE
    Terre Hermes

Underrated:

Boss bottled
    Amen - Taste of fragrance
    Givenchy - Pour homme

slightly off-topic but....... I think I'm addicted to YSL La Nuit

You're absolutely correct. I'll stick to reading instead of posting for a while until I get more up the curve.
    I wasn't being entirely serious here. As a matter of fact at this moment Le Male probably IS underrated in that it's rarely mentioned and generally not spoken of favourably. If you were to re-wind and step back in time a little then you'd see a while back it was probably overrated.

For myself I'll say Evody, the entire house, is underrated. I only own one of their fragrances as it stands (though it's quite nice) however no one on BN was able to give me any kind of info/impressions on this house at all. In fact quite a few things in my wardrobe have no reviews, or very few reviews on BN. Some arn't even in the directory.

Overrated:
    Terre d'Hermes
    *Dior Homme Intense

Underrated:
    Boss Bottled
    Cuba Gold

*Dior Homme is way better than DHI to me but doesn't seem to get the same amount of love.

I actually kind of agree on 1 Million being underrated (at least on Basenotes). It's often dismissed because of its popularity, but honestly, it's probably my favorite release of the last decade. And I easily think it's a milestone fragrance, on par with trend setters over the years like Cool Water, ADG, & Le Male.

I personally dislike ALL of the ones on the underrated list and I think they are the ones that are overrated lol.