Code of Conduct

Default New Hamshire Perfume Ban

New Hampshire Perfume Ban To Be Considered By Legislators Again

Posted: 12/01/2012 12:12 pm EST Updated: 12/01/2012 2:24 pm EST

A New Hampshire legislator is breathing new life into a proposal to prohibit state employees from wearing perfume and other fragrances to work.

State Rep. Charles Townsend (D-Canaan) has reintroduced legislation barring state employees who have contact with members of the public from wearing fragrances during the workday. A similar bill died in the state House of Representatives earlier this year, following discussions over whether it was constitutional for the state to regulate employees' fragrance choices.

Townsend said he considers the matter a public health issue. "There are enough people who are really allergic to enough fragrances," he told The Huffington Post. "It makes it difficult to visit state offices."

He added that while his bill only covers a portion of the state workforce, he would like to see it expanded to ban all state employees from wearing perfume and cologne to the office. Townsend said his sister-in-law was forced to seek a transfer from a job once because a coworker's perfume choice was making her ill.

Rep. Michele Peckham (R-North Hampton) pushed a fragrance ban bill earlier this year, but it was killed following a negative recommendation by the House Constitutional Review and Statutory Recodification Committee. Peckham said that while some people may have viewed the issue as "silly," she believed fragrances posed a legitimate health concern.

“Many people have violent reactions to strong scents," Peckham told The Union-Leader at the time.

Rep. Christopher Serlin (D-Portsmouth), a member of the constitutional review panel, told HuffPost that committee members had expressed two major concerns with the legislation. The first involved whether the desire to wear a fragrance to work was a matter of personal freedom, while the second related to other scented products.

Serlin said committee members argued that if the law started banning employees from wearing perfume and cologne, it could be expanded to prohibit scented detergent, fabric softener and deodorant.

"We felt it was technically impossible to administer," Serlin told HuffPost. "It opened the door to a lot of things that would get messy quickly."

The issue of fragrance in the workplace is not unique to New Hampshire. Government agencies and private employers in the United States and Canada have imposed similar bans, including the city of Detroit, the U.S. Census Bureau and the Challenge Charter School in Glendale, Ariz.

Townsend said that he believes the legislation stands a better shot of passing next year, adding that he plans to start a campaign to educate legislators on the issue. He said the House's shift from Republican to Democratic control may help.

But Serlin said that while Democrats may be more sensitive to the need of a fragrance ban than Republicans, who may view it as an unnecessary regulation, he questions whether the new majority will be enough.

"In the end, I can't see it passing,"

THIS ARTICLE IS NOT MEANT TO MISLEAD ANY BASENOTERS.
    I HAVE POSTED IT PURELY BECAUSE I THINK IT MAY INTEREST SOME MEMBERS.
    David.
    Last edited by david; 26th February 2013 at 09:32 PM.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Default Re: New Hamshire Perfume Ban

As he says, then they would have to ban fragrance from everything.... maybe even kill all the flowers and trees to stop any scents coming in through the windows too. Perhaps a scent extractor above everyones desk to stop their body odour reaching anyone elses nose.... no more bodily contact.... maybe everyone in individual glass boxes communicating by the internet so germs don't spread..... yikes....

*BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

That says 'the uploader has not made this video available in your country' when I pressed go..

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    That says 'the uploader has not made this video available in your country' when I pressed go..
    Same here, shame that.
    ...a much requested sample of the evening by a group of over excited perfume lovers who likened it to a 'sexy dungeon with a steak house on the top'. Was I one of that group? Well, yes, and it was my first Perfume Lovers Meetup. What a start.

Use american proxy.

Boooo,

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    That sucks.
    Look up Portlandia Allergy Pride Parade
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

I did, and they don't play on their site either.

However, it never fails to thrill me when I am talking in nearly real time with someone so far away....lol

The internet is crazy huh!!!!

Have you seen any Portlandia? This clip is amazing. Basically showing all of the people who claim they are allergic to bread, soy, milk, air... and the people who say they allergic to shellfish and peanuts but are still compelled to go to a thai restaurant.
    Last edited by heperd; 26th February 2013 at 10:40 PM.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    The internet is crazy!!!!
    Too true !
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Way funnier than how I describe it though. Do these people exist in the UK?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Yep.... The real ones I do feel for, but the others make it harder for the real ones to get taken seriously.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The knee-jerk reaction to this would be to say "how dare they", but actually I may agree with the Senator.

Solely because it is on public grounds. And not private, as it is the property owner's decision on whether fragrances are allowed or not.

But keep in mind that public office is different. It is rife with unions, there's less arbitration involved in decision making processes. On the other hand, can't the Senator just politely talk to his employees about this?

IMO, the way it should work in offices: If someone can smell you more than two or three feet away, you are wearing too much.

That's sad!

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    These MF's have really shown up on the big stage. Who'd have thunk. My GF's old PITA roommate was of that same ethos.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-real-d...become-trendy/

Today politicians allow torture, massive domestic spying, drone murder, massive bailouts, etc. but pass laws against smells. It shows how close the USA is to complete collapse.

Overcome By Fumes

This from a state whose motto is "Live Free or Die"? I don't see it passing...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Today politicians allow torture, massive domestic spying, drone murder, massive bailouts, etc. but pass laws against smells. It shows how close the USA is to complete collapse.
    The lawmakers interns who wear six sprays of Kouros in the office aren't abetting terrorist acts across the world..

Will the new state slogan be, "New Hampshire, come and smell our natural stink?"

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    The knee-jerk reaction to this would be to say "how dare they", but actually I may agree with the Senator.

Solely because it is on public grounds. And not private, as it is the property owner's decision on whether fragrances are allowed or not.

But keep in mind that public office is different. It is rife with unions, there's less arbitration involved in decision making processes. On the other hand, can't the Senator just politely talk to his employees about this?

IMO, the way it should work in offices: If someone can smell you more than two or three feet away, you are wearing too much.
    I dated a woman who had a relative that was sick with a weak immune system. Some fragrances would make the him sick. I suppose for him it is unfair if he needs a drivers license and the state employee is bathing in a fragrance that makes him sick.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

I'm allergic to puritanism and stupidity but nobody has gotten around to banning those things.

David -Hehe - & thanks for the 'health warning' at the end,

Solves shipping problems 'though!
    Last edited by lpp; 27th February 2013 at 07:56 AM.

American Puritanism.
    The counter of course is that, as women are the majority wearers of scent, this is just a male misogynistic plot to take control away from women of how their bodies smell.
    But the uber feminists probably won't take that up, as they're probably too busy arguing women should be proud of how they smell naturally, and that scents were created by misogynistic males to control how women's bodies smelled.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    In this case, the property owner is the state, and the state is in turn the people.

And in general, if a property owner can behave like a feudal lord as you suggest, could he perhaps require all female visitors to wear mini-skirts perhaps? Or to only wear skirts and not wear long pants? He is the owner, after all.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Member

Hey Dullah, are you purposely avoiding me? Please answer your PM's and/or email.

Regards,
    Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    These MF's have really shown up on the big stage. Who'd have thunk. My GF's old PITA roommate was of that same ethos.

David, feel free to make a thread that is positive once in a while .
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    In this case, the property owner is the state, and the state is in turn the people.

And in general, if a property owner can behave like a feudal lord as you suggest, could he perhaps require all female visitors to wear mini-skirts perhaps? Or to only wear skirts and not wear long pants? He is the owner, after all.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Should government offices be accessible to all?

Where do you draw the line?

What if hospitals banned employees from wearing fragrances?
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    David, feel free to make a thread that is positive once in a while .
    .....LOL
    But I have, Surfacing !
    ......."Caline, Jean Patou ~ Wonderful Drydown".....can't get more positive than that !.....trouble is, nobody seems interested or replies to them.

Overcome By Fumes

Hey, I did!

Some hospitals do have "fragrance-free" areas, although I'm not sure how this rule is enforced.

How would it be enforced anyway? "I'm sorry sir, but you smell a little...uh...too good. Please allow me to sniff you closely."

Ridiculous.

The small amount of sillage of a few molecules of a fragrance applied to skin is unlikely to cause a true allergic reaction, even though some people may find the smell unpleasant. Can we ban people from working in government offices who smell bad?

Show me a single case of a perfume affecting someone's immune system. One case!?! From a real medical journal, that is. While some people may have some kind of sensitivity to certain molecules (eg. get a migraine when they smell it), the banning of all perfumes because of that is a misguided non-solution.

Quote Originally Posted by smellgood4u View Post
    Should government offices be accessible to all?

Where do you draw the line?

What if hospitals banned employees from wearing fragrances?
    Hospitals do ban employees from wearing fragrances when working directly with patients.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Hey, I did!

Some hospitals do have "fragrance-free" areas, although I'm not sure how this rule is enforced.

How would it be enforced anyway? "I'm sorry sir, but you smell a little...uh...too good. Please allow me to sniff you closely."

Ridiculous.

The small amount of sillage of a few molecules of a fragrance applied to skin is unlikely to cause a true allergic reaction, even though some people may find the smell unpleasant. Can we ban people from working in government offices who smell bad?

Show me a single case of a perfume affecting someone's immune system. One case!?! From a real medical journal, that is. While some people may have some kind of sensitivity to certain molecules (eg. get a migraine when they smell it), the banning of all perfumes because of that is a misguided non-solution.
    He has leukemia. Some chemical smells make him sick.

It's not a big deal if a government office request employees don't wear fragrances.

They are not banning people from wearing fragrances when not at work. Employers can regulate the work evironment, not what you wear when you leave work.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Hey, I did!

Ridiculous.

You are told that you are wearing too much perfume and someone has complained and to not wear that much again. It very rare that anyone who works directly with patients will have to be told something like that because its just common sense that you dont do anything to exacerbate a patients condition. It just makes your job harder if your patient becomes nauseous because you insisted on wearing a bunch of perfume.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

ROFL at Fred Armisen on that Portlandia sketch! He always was one of my favorites on SNL.
    Nothing like a good satire!

Hey, I did!

Ridiculous.

I work in a hospital and the last thing someone needs with a respiratory problem is having complications breathing because of an unnecessary and preventable factor. As far as it being an allergen I don't think there's any proof either. What it will do though is cause an Asthmatic attack in some patients. Also autistic and some Asperger's patients will have a reaction to smell that isn't pretty to see, but the main reason is of course would be lawsuits.

I could care less, don't live in New Hampshire. Seems a bit silly to me given the current condition most of the nation is facing. Great thing about America, though, is that if you don't agree with the laws of a given state, you are free to leave. Or you can try to vote them out next time around.