Code of Conduct

Default The Hermes Perfumer on How to Choose a Fragrance

Default Re: The Hermes Perfumer on How to Choose a Fragrance

Interesting!

I like his attitude.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the link. Sound advice. I often find fragrance advertising bordering on the hysterical.

I love most of his scents.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Someone should mail this guy a bottle of Roadster...

I love his fragrances. Most of them. But I do think he talks some rubbish. I mean: 'I'm not rich'. In relation to whom?

He is so charmingly French, isn't he..."A love affair should not be rushed". I enjoyed the interview. Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks for the link.

I just wished the interviewer brushed up on their basic French. Rien means never?!! Surely it should be nothing (especially within the context of his answer). If it was Jean-Claude Ellena's doing, the interviewer should have at least corrected that detail at a later date.
    Last edited by Trebor; 4th March 2013 at 02:39 PM.

Basenotes Member

No disrespect to Jean Claude Ellena -I'm sure he is being utterly sincere in his comments and I love his work myself, but he is the face of the Hermes perfume campaigns. He may not see himself that way, but he is the famous person that the campaign is centred around, hence the interview. His books expose him to the wider public and he has a fan-base. Jean Claude Ellena, as a perfumer focussed on creating perfumes, may have no interest in the advertising and celebrity used to sell a perfume - he may find it abhorrent, but in his job he is part of that process.

Also Hermes is a fashion house and while there may be no face on the perfume ads there certainly are in their clothing ads - their bags are named after famous people.

Mind you I far prefer the face of Jean Claude Ellena to any model or celebrity - which is why he's so marketable.

Good point, grasslands, especially about the celebrity bags. But I feel that JCE was addressing more the quality of those celebrity fragrances, and the practice of slapping a celebrity face on a slapped together scent in which the celebrity had little input in the cynical creation. If JCE is a celebrity in the fragrance world it is because he has earned that position by virtue of his artistry and expertise. Hermes, of course, are in busines to earn money, but I think what they sell is of exceptional quality.

Quote Originally Posted by grasslands View Post
    Mind you I far prefer the face of Jean Claude Ellena to any model or celebrity - which is why he's so marketable.
    I don't know if this is what you meant, but he is a good looking older guy, and this is coming from a straight guy, and I believe that he as the "artisan" of Hermes' current fragrances would make for good advertising.

On another note, he needs to stay away from writing books, because hes 0-2 with the ones I've read. The only remarkable thing about "Perfume - The Alchemy of Scent" was the quality of the paper it was printed on.