Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Default Would like some help. Be gentle

    Hello all. I want to preface this by saying that this is a very informative site, and from the few threads I've read, the community seems very helpful. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some cologne. I know this must have been asked a billion times, but I'm completely new to this and I have no idea what I'm doing. The last time I wore cologne was in high school, and it was like cool water or something else very generic. I want to try to step into the world of fragrance.

    Some basic information about me. I'm late twenties, and I live in Texas, so the weather is warm 80% of the year, and in the winter it doesn't get that cold where I'm from. I would like to start with more summery/fresh scents if that makes sense. I don't have an office job, so I don't really need a professional smelling cologne, but I'm willing to try some!

    I found a site online that sells samples of colognes for ~4-5$ each. They even sell packs based on basenote award winners. I might try to get some of those. My budget is ~60 dollars for this experiment, so I think that can get me ~15 1ml samples of colognes.

    Well, that was longer than I'd thought it would be. I am looking forward to any help that you guys can give me. I would also like to expand into scents for fall/colder weather later, but I'm starting with baby steps.

    Thanks in advance everyone.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Here are great warm weather scents to sample:

    Creed Virgin Island Water
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Versace Eau Fraiche
    Issey Miyake Sport
    Acqua Di Gio
    Bleu De Chanel
    Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent Live Jazz

  3. #3

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Good suggestions above already. I'd also suggest checking out:
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste

  4. #4

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme
    Versace Pour Homme

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Here are great warm weather scents to sample:

    Creed Virgin Island Water
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Versace Eau Fraiche
    Issey Miyake Sport
    Acqua Di Gio
    Bleu De Chanel
    Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent Live Jazz
    These are good ones to start, except for Live Jazz (for me). Can't get past the cilantro.

    I would add Gucci Pour Homme II. Great for all seasons, and can be worn for anything. I would consider it MY most versatile fragrance next to YSL L'homme. I really like Creed Silver Mountain Water too. Overall, a very pleasant smelling fragrance.

    I also think Versace Pour Homme and YSL Rive Gauche meet what you are looking for.
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

  6. #6
    Basenotes Plus
    mlsweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sullivan, IL
    Posts
    1,346

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

  7. #7

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Thanks everyone! I have quite the list to try out.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Eau sauvage. It's a classic vetiver fragrance. Suitable for all age types, young to old. Very versatile, but sophisticated.
    Bleu de chanel
    YSL Libre
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    + what everyone else said haha

  9. #9

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    What you want to try depends also on how much you want to spend on the frag itself.

    For hot weather (as summers here in DC) I like vetivers, which are fresh, slightly grassy, and natural smelling. Examples are Guerlain Vetiver, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Encre Noire, and, in more expensive niche perfumery, Chanel Sycomore and Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire.

    cacio

  10. #10
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    80,732

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Eau Sauvage
    Monsieur Balmain

  11. #11

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Quote Originally Posted by johnbooboo View Post
    Hello all. I want to preface this by saying that this is a very informative site, and from the few threads I've read, the community seems very helpful. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some cologne. I know this must have been asked a billion times, but I'm completely new to this and I have no idea what I'm doing. The last time I wore cologne was in high school, and it was like cool water or something else very generic. I want to try to step into the world of fragrance.

    Some basic information about me. I'm late twenties, and I live in Texas, so the weather is warm 80% of the year, and in the winter it doesn't get that cold where I'm from. I would like to start with more summery/fresh scents if that makes sense. I don't have an office job, so I don't really need a professional smelling cologne, but I'm willing to try some!

    I found a site online that sells samples of colognes for ~4-5$ each. They even sell packs based on basenote award winners. I might try to get some of those. My budget is ~60 dollars for this experiment, so I think that can get me ~15 1ml samples of colognes.

    Well, that was longer than I'd thought it would be. I am looking forward to any help that you guys can give me. I would also like to expand into scents for fall/colder weather later, but I'm starting with baby steps.

    Thanks in advance everyone.

    What is the name of the website? It's nice to share.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Quote Originally Posted by LoPsOrange View Post
    What is the name of the website? It's nice to share.
    Haha. Thanks again for all teh suggestions. The site i know is www.theperfumedcourt.com. They have a bunch of samples and stuff. They have groupings of basenote award winning finalists too. Hopefully I can get these samples for under 60$. Need to start smelling good.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Right now, I prefer surrender to chance over perfumed court. More economical.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Quote Originally Posted by johnbooboo View Post
    Haha. Thanks again for all teh suggestions. The site i know is www.theperfumedcourt.com. They have a bunch of samples and stuff. They have groupings of basenote award winning finalists too. Hopefully I can get these samples for under 60$. Need to start smelling good.

    Ohh Okay yeah I know TPC haven't ordered from them in a while.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Save yourself some cash by trying a bunch of these fragrances out in a local department store.

    I recommend Lacoste Essential, and Chanel Allure Homme Sport to ANYBODY in a hot climate.





    I'm in Utah so I know what works in the unbearable heat!
    1) Chergui (Serge Lutens)
    2) Dior Homme Intense
    3) Aventus (Creed)
    4) Allure Homme Sport (Chanel)
    5) La Nuit De l'Homme (YSL)

  16. #16
    Basenotes Junkie Skyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    518

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Versace Man Eau Fraiche.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Quote Originally Posted by ben850 View Post
    Save yourself some cash by trying a bunch of these fragrances out in a local department store.
    Yep. Don't be shy about asking for samples. See what you like and research their compositions either here or on fragrantica so you get an idea of which notes you like and then you can make some better informed sample purchases of harder-to-find stuff.

  18. #18
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    The Perfumed Court is good if you are into sampling niche or more expensive frags, if you are just going for designer, either go to your local Sephora or Macys' to sample or maybe try MyPerfumeSamples.com. You can get free shipping over $50 and they have a good variety of designer frags to start with. Also, you might want to go for a bigger sample than 1ml, maybe 2-5ml will give you a little longer of a test drive and a better "feel" for the scent. Just my 2 cents.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Thanks all! I'll take all of your suggestions into consideration. I'm looking to do this online because I work Mon-Sat from 9-7pm so it's hard for me to take out time to go to a dept store and try on all these different scents. I prefer to do it online, but that's just me. Once again, thanks for your suggestions. Time to have some fun with all of this!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Would like some help. Be gentle

    Thierry Mugler Cologne
    Gendarme
    Bond No. 9 Fire Island
    Prada Infusion d'Iris (original or homme)

    For fresh, you can't go wrong with any of those.

Similar Threads

  1. Gentle People -- Your Expertise is Required
    By themoogle in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 29th April 2012, 08:34 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31st May 2011, 09:38 PM
  3. A gentle request for serious opinions...
    By MikeD in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 30th June 2010, 11:30 AM
  4. A gentle fragrance to help heal - sorry sad
    By Hebe in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 24th February 2007, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000