Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Ted Lapidus for Men

I have recently managed to pick one of these up on ebay and have read the reviews on basenotes. I was wondering what this is reminiscent of either now or in the past. It sounds like a complex but powerful scent. Is it similar to Jules? Thanks in advance

Thumbs up Re: Vintage Ted Lapidus for Men

I remember the original Ted Lapidus, which name was VU PAR TED LAPIDUS. If you refer to this, it was a leather scent, similar to Herms BEL-AMI
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage Ted Lapidus for Men

Helmut Lang's Cuiron always reminded me of TL pour Homme. It is potent but not room-clearing powerful.

If you like leather frags and classics then you are expecting a treasure.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

AromiErotici

This one is a 1978 leather chypre that, in reality, is Leonard Pour Homme done correctly. It has a citric-bonfire opening and that bonfire aura stays through all the accords. It's a sexy smokiness that softens once the leather and mossy amber base kick in.

This is smooth......and in my Top 10 all day long.

Thanks everyone. I am especially looking forward to this now. I love Bel Ami and Cuiron and if it's in Aromi's top 10, I know I am in for a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by joelarner View Post
    if it's in Aromi's top 10, I know I am in for a treat!
    Agreed .... now I gotta track it down.

AromiErotici

I appreciate the compliment fellas.....but 1978 Lapidus Pour Homme is its own best advertiser. This thread made me go dig out my stash of this fragrance and shot 2 spritzes on my hand. It's exactly as remembered. A steady, subtle bonfire that simply lasts the entire length of the scent atop some leather, and mossy amber.

This juice isn't sexy in a unisex fashion. It's masculine retro sexy. It's just loud enough, but not in a crass, late seventies fashion. My hunch is Leonard tried to capitalize on this scent, but got a little heavy handed and aggressive with their rendition. Lapidus is perfect....and even the completely tacky 1978 style spray bottle is flat out awesome.

This stuff sounds awesome. I'm assuming this is the Lapidus that's in the red bottle with the totally cheesy white typefaced lettering?
    Last edited by shamu1; 10th June 2010 at 01:55 AM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    This stuff sounds awesome. I'm assuming this is the Lapidus that's in the red bottle with the totally cheesy white typefaced lettering?
    That would be the one bro......lol

My source tells me that most of the remaining bottles have spent time in the middle east in severe heat (kept by a guy who doesn't keep them cool) and that the juice is not worth owning . Also, most of the 1 oz plastic splash bottles have leaked/evaporated significantly. I wouldn't want juice that had been sitting in plastic for thirty years anyway. Too bad they don't reissue it because I have very little left.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th June 2010 at 02:33 AM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    My source tells me that most of the remaining bottles have spent time in the middle east in severe heat (kept by a guy who doesn't keep them cool) and that the juice is not worth owning . Also, most of the 1 oz plastic splash bottles have leaked/evaporated significantly. I wouldn't want juice that had been sitting in plastic for thirty years anyway. Too bad they don't reissue it because I have very little left.
    That's unfortunate if true. I have the 3.25 spray with box and was lucky to get a completely intact fragrance. It did come from an estate sale in the US, so I can only assume it was kept properly due to its performance. It's a glass bottle as well.

I have never seen the 1oz. bottles.

How does modern Lapidus compare?

I was going to blind buy Lapidus based on comparison to Kouros and a strong honey scent base.

But this thread says it's a bondfire.

What is Lapidus? Honey or bondfire?
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Quote Originally Posted by joelarner View Post
    I have recently managed to pick one of these up on ebay and have read the reviews on basenotes. I was wondering what this is reminiscent of either now or in the past. It sounds like a complex but powerful scent. Is it similar to Jules? Thanks in advance
    Not to me and I own both and enjoy both.