Code of Conduct

Cool Is Roadster good as Live Jazz?

I read many comparison between these two scents, noticing that they are quite similar. Some prefer roadster and others prefers live jazz. How can i compare these scents? Is roadster a good scent or it towards generic?

Default Re: Is Roadster good as Live Jazz?

Kind of generic IMO. But I do like it. Between the two, I would go with Roadster.

Horribly cloying IMO. I would pick Live Jazz. I don't like the Cartier, but I didn't find it generic really.

CologneFan85

Cloying is right

Roadster is good, but it's weird, and it did not suit me. Tried it repeatedly.

Basenotes Plus

The opening of Roadster is fairly promising, but things go downhill and become muddled thereafter. Live Jazz has somewhat overbearing top notes. but eventually dries down to a far more wearable scent - by far the better of the two IMHO.

I personally don't care for neither.

- - - Updated - - -

I personally don't care for neither.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It depends on what you like. Both are good mint scents.

Live Jazz is you prefer a fresh citrus scent and Roadster if you prefer a fresh leafy scent.

I own and like them both but I prefer Live Jazz.

I own Roadster. I have only tested Live Jazz. Roadster is my favorite scent. It always smells good and is never inappropriate. It lasts all day plus some, and it is always interesting no matter what stage of topnotes or dry down it is in. A dense uber-masculine with a fresh start and a thick woody base. Live Jazz has only struck me as watery and lacking character and body.

Very different scents. Roadster is mint leaf with a woody drydown. Live Jazz is citrus and mint, but contains an herbal cilantro note that ruined it for me. I prefer Roadster.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 27th February 2013 at 09:41 PM.

I like Roadster so much better. I never really got along with Live Jazz. The mint "note" is different in both as well with Roadster being a warmish mint and Live Jazz ( to me) being a more fresh mint.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

They are absolutely nothing alike and IMO, Roadster is a much better scent.

While one scent's superiority is definitely subjective, I can objectively say that they smell not even remotely similar.

Love Live Jazz and don't care for Roadster at all. The mint in Live Jazz is like a sweet spearmint type which I prefer. I honestly get very little mint out of Roadster. It has an herbal top, but then I get this strong vetiver and awful sour green type note in the drydown. (Labdanum I'm guessing?) Whatever that dominant note is in the middle and drydown of Roadster is horrid to my nose. I'd choose Live Jazz or probably a million other scents over Roadster.

Another reason I enjoy Live Jazz is the cilantro and rhubarb notes. Those, along with the spearmint gum type mint are 3 of my favorite notes. My only dislike with L Jazz is the ambergris note in the base.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Very different scents. Roadster is mint leaf with a woody drydown. Live Jazz is citrus and mint, but contains an herbal cinlantro note that ruined it for me. I prefer Roadster.
    I tried Roadster and liked it.

Never sniffed Live Jazz.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

I like them both. As many agree, Live Jazz is great in summer. I haven't tested Roadster in warm weather but I think it could be another good one.

I would never say that Roadster and Live Jazz are similar...not in the slightest. They both do have mint, albeit Live Jazz's mint last for .2 seconds, and Roadster's mint lasts about 20 minutes. Neither are exceptional mint fragrances if you are looking for mint...there are many that are much better. But, yeah, live Jazz is 98% Cilantro, leafy green cilantro, in your face cilantro, and that's about it. Roadster is wood, dry wood, in your face wood, with a little mint at the beginning. I don't really care for either, but just wanted to state that they are worlds apart...not similar at all.

Equally good- somewhat. Yet in different ways. Both have a classic mint vibe, but each one of them adds a personal note, so it's very difficult to say which one is better.

Roadster is has a more casually-complex yet also more versatile interpretation of mint notes, while Live Jazz is a more linear mint scent.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Both are likes, and not loves, for me.

Sound Scents

Not similar and not as good as Live Jazz, IMO. Neither are really favorites of mine...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Never tried Roadster yet, but I quite like Live Jazz especially on humid sumer days.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    They are absolutely nothing alike and IMO, Roadster is a much better scent.

While one scent's superiority is definitely subjective, I can objectively say that they smell not even remotely similar.
    My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    My thoughts exactly
    Same here +2

However I have owned Roadster on 3 occasions and cant seem to get into it. The mint is not the problem, its everything around it.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Very different scents. Roadster is mint leaf with a woody drydown. Live Jazz is citrus and mint, but contains an herbal cilantro note that ruined it for me. I prefer Roadster.
    I agree 100%. Live Jazz contains a very strong vegetal note that I can't get past. Roadster is very nice, but I do have an issue with longevity.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque, Armani Prive' Nuances,
    Armani Prive' Bois d'Encens, Ermenegildo Zegna Indonesian Oud, Essenza de Zegna, Amouage Beloved Man, Fahrenheit Le Parfum, Dior La Collection Couturier Vetiver, and Rasikh Syed Junaid Alam.

Roadster is one of my favorites, actually, though it took 3 wearings to really like it. I tried it 3 times because I thought it held promise. I can't say the same for LJ, which has that cilantro type note that makes me feel ill; it's a "dealbreaker" for me and even if it wasn't there, I didn't get a sense that anything else was there that would be worth a purchase. Roadster is a sort of "head fake" scent because you think it's going to be "fresh" but then it goes into a kind of gourmandiental, one might say. The drydown isn't far from L'Instant Pour Homme EdT at one point. Many probably dislike it because they go for the head fake, or don't want a gourmandiental and so should not have purchased it in the first place.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 28th February 2013 at 01:32 AM.

Roadster Sport is highly recommended to Roadster fans. It's not very similar to Live Jazz, either.

I find Roadster Sport to be better than Roadster but it lacks in longevity (at least on my skin). Live Jazz is much better, cheaper and is definitely a bang for the buck cologne.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Try Lush Dirty if you want a heavy mint fragrance that doesn't have the sweetness of Roadster or the weird cilantro note of Live Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Roadster is a sort of "head fake" scent because you think it's going to be "fresh" but then it goes into a kind of gourmandiental, one might say. Many probably dislike it because they go for the head fake, or don't want a gourmandiental and so should not have purchased it in the first place.

This is a very good point and an accurate way to describe the little trick that Roadster pulls on its wearers.

IMO, no..
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Try Lush Dirty if you want a heavy mint fragrance that doesn't have the sweetness of Roadster or the weird cilantro note of Live Jazz.
    +1 Great recommendation
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

The only 2 mint fragrances I really like that I have ever tried are Heeley Menthe Fraiche and Guerlain Homme Intense. Those are mint well done.

Live Jazz simply is more appealing to me and I don't know why!!!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Not as good. Just better.

Not for me it isn't. Hasn't Live Jazz been discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Roadster is a sort of "head fake" scent because you think it's going to be "fresh" but then it goes into a kind of gourmandiental
    I really enjoy that transformation. I think it just works, but for others I can see how it could regarded as a mess. It is certainly quite unusual.

Roadster is far better...

Well they are definitley not at all similar. Roadster is heavier, thick. More of a synthetic smelling toothpaste like mint, as opposed to the more natural spearmint from Live Jazz. I really don't care for Roadster, too much mint going on. The dry down though blends the woods with the mint, the mint is subtle at this point, and it makes for a nice dry down. But Live Jazz is just so much better imo.

I think the best mint fragrance is Green Water though, it's very minty, but never too heavy and cloying. Total classic, and very underrated.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I prefer Roadster, but I actually think Live Jazz is a better fragrance as far as how it's composed/structured/balanced.

Roadster has some shaky moments for sure. But in the end, it's smell and originality wins me over. Live Jazz is nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Horribly cloying IMO. I would pick Live Jazz. I don't like the Cartier, but I didn't find it generic really.
    I haven't had the chance to try Live Jazz, but this really summed up my thoughts on Roadster.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Roadster is deceptive...
    The minty opening suggests it is a fresh scent, but in fact, it warms as it dries down.
    Overspray and it would likely be a little cloying in the heat.
    Spray appropriately and it blooms nicely even on a warm day.
    The drydown is simply superb.
    This is another example of a fragrance that is best from the mid to base notes.
    Credit rightly goes to Cartier for releasing such a brave fragrance in this trying era of "calone and code".

Haven't tried Live jazz , but Roadster was a scrubber for me. The mint in it is dirty and metallic.

I personally like my mint note to be fresh and airy (hint---> Armani Code Sport ).
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....