Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Truly different

  1. #31
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Re: Truly different

    Terre d'Hermes
    Kouros
    Black Orchid
    New Haarlem
    Pear + Olive
    Black Afgano
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea


    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

  2. #32

    Default Re: Truly different

    Norne
    TdH
    My Ultimate Top 5:

    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

  3. #33

    Default Re: Truly different

    Whenever I smell L'Artisan Parfumeur's Fou d'Absinthe I get weak knees. I think it's very attractive. And, as mentioned above, Lonestar memories and Black orchid are pretty unique.


    I must say I don't really get the hype about Aventus. Worked with a man who showered himself with it, the sillage was about 25 feet. That kind of ruined the scent for me.
    I'd like to swap:
    Tauer - Lonestar memories
    Guerlain - Jicky EdT

  4. #34
    Basenotes Plus
    Nosey49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    208

    Default Re: Truly different

    Most Basenotes members are very helpful but occasionally, someone like you answers a post with some negative comment, I suppose, in an attempt to demonstate your fragrance IQ. Your assinine comment is totally uncalled for and certainly not appreciated. You have no idea how many niche fragrances I have sampled (actually, I've sampled at least half of the recommendations here). Aventus was used as an example because there is a very high probability that most Basenoters have already sampled it. Try to be nicer!

    For those who offered suggestions, a HUGE thanks. Hopefully the discussion will also help others.




    Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    If Aventus is the only niche fragrance you think is unique, you haven't tried enough niche yet.
    Currently wearing: 1697 by Frapin

  5. #35
    Basenotes Plus
    indianwells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pembrokeshire
    Posts
    968

    Default Re: Truly different

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Aventus
    Fahrenheit
    Dior Homme
    Back to Black (possibly)
    Invasion Barbare
    Central Park
    Terre D'Hermes

    Samples are worth acquiring. Work your way through them.
    Agree with Central Park, out of the Bonds I would also add Silver Factory which I think is quite unique.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

  6. #36
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,055
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Truly different

    it's time to re-discover the old fragrances from '70 and '80.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Truly different

    if i really want a unique smell, that no one else has; i will look into small perfume 'houses' that makes fragrances without advertisements. They would usually sell online or has a few stockist.

    e.g. D.S. & Durga

    But the risk are there because virtually no one has heard of them so the scent is anyone's guess.
    Good luck.

  8. #38
    Basenotes Plus
    mlsweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sullivan, IL
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Truly different

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosey49 View Post
    Most Basenotes members are very helpful but occasionally, someone like you answers a post with some negative comment, I suppose, in an attempt to demonstate your fragrance IQ. Your assinine comment is totally uncalled for and certainly not appreciated. You have no idea how many niche fragrances I have sampled (actually, I've sampled at least half of the recommendations here). Aventus was used as an example because there is a very high probability that most Basenoters have already sampled it. Try to be nicer!

    For those who offered suggestions, a HUGE thanks. Hopefully the discussion will also help others.
    I'm not sure how you read that as negative but that wasn't what I was going for.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

  9. #39

    Default Re: Truly different

    Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    I'm not sure how you read that as negative but that wasn't what I was going for.
    In fairness, I read it as negative too. It seemed a tad elitist and nonconstructive. But hey, can't we all just get along!?
    Last edited by voodoodanny; 28th February 2013 at 01:27 PM.
    Smelling good on a budget!

  10. #40
    Basenotes Plus
    mlsweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sullivan, IL
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Truly different

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    In fairness, I read it as negative too. It seemed a tad elitist and nonconstructive. But hey, can't we all just get along!?
    Ahh, my bad.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

  11. #41
    Frag Bomb Squadron XIII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,656

    Default Re: Truly different

    'Unique' is a relative term. The more fragrances you've been exposed to the less likely you'll find anything truly unique. And if a 'unique' discovery turns out to be popular your so called 'unique' fragrance (Aventus?) has just crossed over into 'mainstream' territory. So to keep enjoying a unique scent it's best to quit sampling fragrances, stick your head in the sand and live like a hermit. Maybe that's why I'm of the view 'unique' is an overrated rather useless concept in fragrancewear.

  12. #42
    Basenotes Plus
    Nosey49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    208

    Default Re: Truly different

    Then please accept my apology.

    Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    I'm not sure how you read that as negative but that wasn't what I was going for.
    Currently wearing: 1697 by Frapin

  13. #43
    Basenotes Plus
    mlsweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sullivan, IL
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Truly different

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosey49 View Post
    Then please accept my apology.
    No need for that. My fault, sorry.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

  14. #44

    Default Re: Truly different

    Of all I've tried, I seem to go back regularly to Chanel Egoiste, Montale Black Aoud, D&G By Man, Aramis Havana, Rive Gauche, Muscs Koublai Khan and... Old Spice.

  15. #45
    Basenotes Plus
    Nosey49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    208

    Default Re: Truly different

    Quote Originally Posted by IndianapolisVet View Post
    Of all I've tried, I seem to go back regularly to Chanel Egoiste, Montale Black Aoud, D&G By Man, Aramis Havana, Rive Gauche, Muscs Koublai Khan and... Old Spice.
    I love Aramis Havana but, like your wife and Aventus, my wife hates it!
    Currently wearing: 1697 by Frapin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000