Code of Conduct

Default What type bottle for diluting Aroma Molecules?

Hi,
    What type of bottles do you use for your diluted chemicals?
    Should I go with the plastic ones with dropper?
    Something else?
    Labels? What type?
    TIA, I do appreciate it.

Default Re: What type bottle for diluting Aroma Molecules?

I've got a load of clear glass bottles with metal screw caps. They have a rubber insert to stop leaks, which isn't a particularly good idea 'cos rubber smells. But they'll have to do until I source some brown bottles with suitable tops.

I also have a few 10 and 20ml volumetric flasks which look REALLY COOL* and work really well. I'd like more of them. If you buy these from e-bay it's important to clean them properly, because you don't know what's been in them. The modern type with the plastic tops are best because they don't leak, whereas old ground glass does at times, and anyway - you don't want to be messing around with joint sealant.

I label everything with stick on paper labels which detail the dilution etc. I also mark each bottle and cap with little sticky coloured circles. These make a sort of code, so a base note will have a red circle, a top note a yellow and so on, with two others to uniquely identify each bottle and cap. This is to help avoid 'getting the caps mixed up' misery.

*this is important!

-
    Last edited by Skelly; 28th February 2013 at 06:47 PM.

Glass bottles shuld be used as some plastics will soften and dissolve upon contact with some aroma chemicals. Ideally the glass should be dark brown to keep out as much light as possible. Also when you label the bottles you should include the date; things don't last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Glass bottles should be used as some plastics will soften and dissolve upon contact with some aroma chemicals. Ideally the glass should be dark brown to keep out as much light as possible. Also when you label the bottles you should include the date; things don't last forever.
    Thanks. I've studied a lot of perfume organ photos and noticed that some bottles are brown and some are clear. Perhaps some chemicals are impervious to light? Or maybe the people haven't gotten around to switching them over.

I noticed that everything I purchase from PA is in clear bottles. It would be better if they shipped with brown ones since it is inevitable that we need to transfer to brown anyways? I think I'd rather pay the extra in price (if there is any) for the brown bottles than have to use the labor to switch them and set myself up for any unnecessary problems that may arise.
    Maybe I'm wrong, just trying to be efficient. Perhaps people want to see the color of what they are receiving.

If you will be diluting them anyway then you can keep the undiluted stuff in a box away from light. I actually keep my diluted stuff in clear glass bottles and just throw a black sheet over them when I'm not using them. There are some advantages to clear glass; it's easier to see if something falls out of solution, and you can also keep an eye on colour and viscosity changes.

I replied to your other thread (lol, I post dupes on here all the time, too).

I ordered some 1/2 oz ambers with tops and droppers, and then some 10ml bottles with regular tops and dropper tops (i may or may not use the dropper tops, we'll see).

http://www.specialtybottle.com/

They're not the cheapest, but they're close. And I like the blue/green/amber selection. It gives me some color-coding options

Even the ones I don't dilute, I plan on keeping smaller, more usable portions in these bottles.

Basenotes Plus

I buy 1/2 oz Clear Boston Rounds with a polycone cap, primarily for mixing blends, this give me good feedback if something solid I throw in there is or isn't dissolved. And it also gives good feedback for the color of the juice.
    Some of these get used however for dilutions of materials.

I also use 1oz and 2oz, 4oz, 8oz and 16oz brown or blue Boston Round bottles for most everything else, But since I bought 256 80ml Aluminum bottles to sell materials with, I will also use these bottles to pour from a 1 Kilo or larger bottle/can to place on my shelf to blend out of. I like these bottles because the diameter is small but they are tall, so the volume takes less shelf space than a Boston Round glass bottle. These 80ml bottles are also cheaper than the Boston Rounds. At that qty of 256, the bottle and cap are a total of 56 cents, which is much less than a glass bottle, and the cost to ship is less than glass too.

I wouldn't place ANYTHING in Plastic, if you can help it.

And until I can find silicone dropper bulbs, I don't keep anything in a dropper bottle.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Alright then. So it's been almost 2 years since I diluted some AC's with perfumer's alcohol. I noticed that some have turned to a terrible smelling chemical-like scent...ruined of course. And all that have turned have the same smell. What happened? Damn, can't put my finger on the exact smell but I've smelled it before. I'm thinking ether but maybe not. Here are some of the AC's that have turned.
    Lavender
    Methyl Pamplemousse
    Muguet Aldehyde
    Galaxolide
    Coranol
    Adoxal
    Neryl Acetate
    Cyclamen Aldehydr
    Ionone Alpha (But not the beta)
    All were diluted to 10%
    Thanks,
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    And until I can find silicone dropper bulbs, I don't keep anything in a dropper bottle.
    I don't use the dropper bottles either, but they sure would be convenient. I have the disposable plastic droppers, and they're the source of constant problems. I originally put my chemicals in ziplock bags with their droppers. These would then be placed in a large tupperware container for storage. The trouble is that the vials wouldn't be standing upright, so some leaked. Also, their droppers would sometimes have goo on them (especially vetiver, myrrh, labdanum, etc.) and it would get all over the inside of the bag. The other option is to leave the vials on a table standing upright with their droppers beside them. However, that system takes up too much space and I sometimes get the droppers mixed up. Also, with the droppers out in the open, I often catch whiffs of various chemicals (usually the Ambrocenide). Anyway, both are terrible systems! Something has to change. I have always wanted to start a thread on ways to organize perfuming supplies.
    Last edited by ToddHuyett; 15th February 2015 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberz View Post
    Alright then. So it's been almost 2 years since I diluted some AC's with perfumer's alcohol. I noticed that some have turned to a terrible smelling chemical-like scent...ruined of course. And all that have turned have the same smell. What happened? Damn, can't put my finger on the exact smell but I've smelled it before. I'm thinking ether but maybe not. Here are some of the AC's that have turned.
    Lavender
    Methyl Pamplemousse
    Muguet Aldehyde
    Galaxolide
    Coranol
    Adoxal
    Neryl Acetate
    Cyclamen Aldehydr
    Ionone Alpha (But not the beta)
    All were diluted to 10%
    Thanks,
    Harry
    Were they exposed to light? What kind of containers were they in? Some of those are stable; for example, under normal conditions, galaxolide should not have been fried like that. If you want to know more, google each of those and type MSDS next to them. You'll then get the necessary info on storage and stability.
    Last edited by ToddHuyett; 15th February 2015 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddHuyett View Post
    Were they exposed to light? What kind of containers were they in? Some of those are stable; for example, under normal conditions, galaxolide should not have been fried like that. If you want to know more, google each of those and type MSDS next to them. You'll then get the necessary info on storage and stability.
    Nope, no sunlight, cool area and in a box because I haven't set up my organ just yet.
    The bottles are amber with cone seal.
    I bought the alcohol (5 gal) from Save On Scents.
    You said "fried". Is that common terminology?
    Did my alcohol turn to ether?

Well this is definitely a question for one of the more experienced people here. However, if they all have the same unpleasant odor, it would most certainly have to do with the perfumer's alcohol. By "fried" I just meant that it had undergone a chemical reaction. It's not a technical term. Anyway, that's all I can tell you based on my limited knowledge.
    Last edited by ToddHuyett; 15th February 2015 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddHuyett View Post
    I have always wanted to start a thread on ways to organize perfuming supplies.
    There already is one that is quite useful here.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- New club matters on hold whilst I care for my mum)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    There already is one that is quite useful here.
    Thanks Mumsy

Hmm...still looking for an answer to why over 40, 30ml bottles of 10% diluted AC's are smelling like, well, I don't know what exactly. I'm thinking either, acetone, something. I'm using all amber bottles with cap, no droppers.
    Nobody has ever had this problem???
    I purchased the alcohol from SOS (SaveOnScents).
    Regards,
    Harry

Ethyl alcohol (ethanol) can oxidise to acetaldehyde.which has a nasty smell.

Thanks David. I'm wondering why 40 bottles did this though. The undiluted AC's are fine and I'm wondering why I'd be diluting these when this happens.
    Regards,
    Harry

Check your ethanol.

LOL...check for what? It seems fine.

If it smells OK, then I have no idea why you should be having problems. If the ethanol you use to dilute your ingredients smells fine, and the Aroma chemicals smell OK then I cannot help you.

And of course, if it was the Ethanol, all of my AC's would be the same, no?
    Does everybody have good luck with Save On Scents Ethanol?
    I purchased 5 gallons, 3 years ago but it seems fine.
    Thanks,
    Harry

Could be that some aromachemicals will react more readily with ethanol/acetaldehyde than others, so not necessarily all the same.