Code of Conduct

Default If it's being discontinued, will I see it soon at discount places

I saw on Grain de Musc today that Annick Goutal is pulling their EdPs of Vetiver and Neroli (because they're re-introducing them as Eaus.)

My first thought was: Excellent! Since Vetiver and Neroli are being discontinued, it's only a matter of time until they show up at Fragrancenet / Walmart / The guy with the kiosk at the mall! Big savings for me!

But then I realized: I don't actually know if that would happen. I'm still relatively new at all this. Those of you who know: Is there an expectation of the path a discontinued fragrance will take? Do I have a good guess as to whether it will end up way cheap at the discounter's? Or is it too varied to expect any particular outcome?

Thanks, all.

Default Re: If it's being discontinued, will I see it soon at discount places

More than likely, they will sell their remaining inventory.

Different companies have different policies. Some police their brand name more than others, and would prefer to pull the inventory and destroy if if it's not selling or if it's been discontinued, rather than devalue the brand and let it go to discounters. Others aren't so draconian. Not sure about Annick Goutal -- I don't think I've seen it at places like TJ Maxx, but I'm not usually looking for Annick Goutal scents.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

No, not at all. First of all they will probably sell it out themselves quickly; second you don't know which discount retailer outlet, if any, may carry them. Most wonderful items mentioned on BN that people say they get at TJMax, Ross, etc. never appear near me. It always baffles me. Just get your back ups of what you like now.

OP - sort of a one off, but personally, I've never found the kiosks at malls to be particulary good deals priceswise. I would concentrate my efforts on the online stores and Marshall's of the world.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

As others have said, it is very random what happens. Some brands or department stores clear their inventory, some do not, plus it depends on how much inventory they had. And even when they do sell to discounters, one cannot know in which store they'll end up. I have not seen Goutal at discounters myself, but I heard reports from others.

So I would not count on it. That said, keep an eye on TJMAxx, Ross, Marshalls, and the like, and who knows, things could happen.

cacio

I am in agreement with the others here. Just because the product is being discontinued, there is no guarantee that it will show up at a discount retailer, be it brick and mortar or online. Some designer scents get the heave-ho on a major-market national level (Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren scents come to mind), and then make their way to the likes of TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Perfumania. But Annick Goutal is just concentrated enough to keep what's left of its product at the retailer until it sells. On such a small scale, it doe not make sense to try and round up all that product, and then re-distribute it nationally or regionally. And on that note, it may not even be discounted much (I've seen this happen a lot). My suggestion: Scoop up what you like now, while it is available, otherwise you run the risk of seeing it on eBay for seriously inflated prices.

If it's not already a relatively mass distribution brand then I would say it's unlikely - Goutal will not pop up at discount stores.

Thanks, everyone. That all makes sense. Many variables in play on this issue. I appreciate your input.

Stragglers will still be available at various sites I guess for a time.

I remember seeing Vetiver available at Overstockperfume if that means anything

Save yourself the disappointment and get them now.

for swap/sale:

Many good things said here already, I'll just add that it is rare for a widely distributed fragrance to be in full production on minute then be discontinued the next. Therefore the supply of that fragrance was probably already diminished and may not be readily found at a discount. However, what sometimes happens is that when a store no longer has a way to ship an old fragrance that has been on the shelf too long back to the vendor they may want to discount it just to get rid of it and reclaim the shelf space. This mainly happens at legitimate mom and pop fragrance stores, high end salons or the like.

There are a few instances where a mass produced fragrance got cut shortly after production, one that comes to mind is CK One Shock and that's why we can still easily find the 6.7oz bottle for $29.99 at TJ Maxx.

Now, I have to give a warning about Kiosks in the Mall. I'm sure there are some out there that are legit businesses, but I have found the vast majority of them no more trustworthy than a guy selling frags out of his trunk. In my experience most of the items they sell are questionable at best to just plain fake. The main things to consider when shopping at discounters is the return policy, corporate support and reputation. I don't know of any kiosk that will consider giving you your money back on an item you bought there. That's why I get so many people trying to return fake bottles to my counter, since we have a very good return policy. TJ Maxx and the like are national chains with customer service phone numbers and a chain of command and complaint. I have never had to return an opened bottle to TJ's, but I know ppl who have and they have said that if one store won't cooperate they have gone to another location or called customer support and been successful. These larger stores also have a way of taking the defective product back to the vendor and recouping their money, no local kiosk I know of has that ability. So, I would be wary of the Kiosk
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne