Code of Conduct

Default Oh no - Blind bought Narciso Rodriguez for Him. What next?

I got lured into a sale and blind bought NR for Him 100ml. Now I have gone through some more reviews in detail and they mention some similarities to fougere which I last smelt in Rive Gauche PH and instantly disliked (refined Brut)

Now I am concerned the same smell may come back to haunt me again and not sure if I should open the bottle or should just resale or return?

Perhaps somebody who owns a bottle could shed some more light? (age group 25)

Default Re: Oh no - Blind bought Narciso Rodriguez for Him. What next?

There's no way anyone can really help you decide what to do here. We can offer advice, but until you smell NR, there's no way to know for sure if you'll like it, love it, or hate it. I can tell you that it doesn't smell like Rive Gauche to me, but fougere is a category that covers a lot of ground.

Personally, I think the bottle is a work of art. But I also think the scent inside the bottle isn't for me. I bought a sample, and I'm glad I did. NR is challenging stuff. It's made up of things I like, yet the overall composition somehow brings me down. It smells good, but it's kind of depressing.

Want to play it safe? Buy a sample immediately. It's only a few bucks. If you like the sample, keep the bottle. If you don't like the sample, return the bottle.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I don't get Rive Gauche from NR Him at all.

NR is heavy on the patchouli, and doesn't smell clean like RG does.
    That's not to say NR smells dirty, but it definitely doesn't have that 50s vibe to it.
    NR has more of a dark hippie feel to it, but still has a levity that makes it regularly wearable.

I'll go home and test them side by side this evening, but I'm very confident that they're worlds apart.

Doesn't smell like Rive Gauche at all. If you like wet concrete then Narciso Rodriguez for him is your scent. Personally, I love the juice. One of my fave designer scents.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

It has nothing similar to Rive Gauche. But it is not a mass pleasing fragrance.
    Heavy on Patchouli & Violet and pretty unique.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Not similar to Rive Gauche at all. One must enjoy the smell of violet to appreciate this scent. I've seen it compared to wet concrete and I can see that.

I will be able to live with it then as long as it's not another BRUT based dark scent. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    There's no way anyone can really help you decide what to do here. We can offer advice, but until you smell NR, there's no way to know for sure if you'll like it, love it, or hate it. I can tell you that it doesn't smell like Rive Gauche to me, but fougere is a category that covers a lot of ground.

Personally, I think the bottle is a work of art. But I also think the scent inside the bottle isn't for me. I bought a sample, and I'm glad I did. NR is challenging stuff. It's made up of things I like, yet the overall composition somehow brings me down. It smells good, but it's kind of depressing.

Want to play it safe? Buy a sample immediately. It's only a few bucks. If you like the sample, keep the bottle. If you don't like the sample, return the bottle.
    Will buy a sample tomorrow. Will update the thread when I decide to wear it. LOL

Anybody wants a sample swap?

NR for me is a WONDERFUL fragrance! It's a fougere alright but not too old fashioned. I get heavy violets and (not so clean not so dirty) musk as well as some patchouli. Overall sweet which I love in fragrances. Unless you're into the current fresh, aquatic, Prada dryclean trends, you should give it time and explore all of its facets. Just my experience.
    This is one of very very few relatively recent scents that I smelled and liked immediately. It somehow reminds me of Chanel Antaeus (in its thickness) but I couldn't wear that anymore.
    Just as a reference, another great scent reminiscent of NR for me is Shiseido Zen for Men (which Mr. Kurkdjian co-authored). Zen is even more complex. Unfortunately it got bashed here on BN. I really hope you'll end up enjoying it.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have been wearing NRFH for several years. Yes, you must like violet to enjoy this one. I tend to wear it on rainy, dark days in the city. It is a different mens fragrance and I like it. I did not however like the newer version produced, the Musc edition. Traded that one away.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Not similar to Rive Gauche at all. One must enjoy the smell of violet to appreciate this scent. I've seen it compared to wet concrete and I can see that.
    Completely agree. And yes the combination of violets and musk is the wet concrete (to me somwhat cucumbery) smell. I'd stick with the original EDT.

I think guys you slightly mis-understood me in context to Rive Gauch PH. I mentioned the "fougere" element, which reminds of Rive Gauch PH which I instantly disliked.

I think I bought cheap enough I can trade at minimal loss if it doesn't float my boat. Fingers crossed.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Voilet Leaf something similar to tobacco note? I notice I liked Lalique Hommage which has this violet note (shame about hommage's logevity), if it's that kind of note, I am sure I will like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Voilet Leaf something similar to tobacco note? I notice I liked Lalique Hommage which has this violet note (shame about hommage's logevity), if it's that kind of note, I am sure I will like this.

I think this is a good one. I'd keep it.

There nothing like NRFH out there at all. It's a masterpiece that must be worn with confidence. It's strong as HELL and has the craziest longevity and projection I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Not to me. Violet leaf is sweet and floral/green. I perceive tobacco (even fresh or wet) differently.

I like this, its unique and very masculine as well, based on the compliments I get. Heavy patchouli & violet. Lasts a VERY long time for my dry skin which normally is a longevity killer...Very complex as are most of Francis Kurkdjian's parfums.
    As for Rive Gauche, no where is NR for him close to it.

Ok I've dug out NR from my cupboard and I've definitely gotta start wearing this more often.

It's strange - when I smell my wrist close-up, I get much more of the metallic patchouli, but when I put my arm by my side, the violet leaf note shows up a lot more. It's almost like it envelops the wearer.

The only two reasons why I haven't worn this more often are that I don't get the nuclear longevity others are reporting (although it's still very good) and I have and prefer the musc edition EDP (yes, they're completely different scents, but Musc is helping me like iris....one day I'll understand Dior Homme ).

I'm still going to wear the original more regularly.

EDIT: I've not compared it to RG as the OP has clarified his initial query. I certainly wouldn't consider NR Him a fougere. It's got some greenery to it, but it requires a lot more than just some violet leaf to make this a fougere.
    Last edited by timdoeswell; 1st March 2013 at 07:14 AM.

I did NOT like it. It's going to the marketplace.

I did NOT like it. It's going to the marketplace.
    You should have tried this in store. It's regularly available in Debenhams etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    You should have tried this in store. It's regularly available in Debenhams etc.
    I got a deal on this. I can sell ut on without a great deal of a loss.

I got a deal on this. I can sell ut on without a great deal of a loss.
    Ah ok, fair enough. No big loss then.

You might want to put it away and try it again in a few weeks. I found this one to be a scent that requires a few tries. Pick a really cool really gray evening and try it again. You never know. I've been pleasantly surprised by how some of my opinions changed. One of my all time favorites, Ungaro III, is a scent I had to scrub off the first two times I tried it. Now, I adore the stuff.

Good luck!
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 1st March 2013 at 10:37 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

The two do not smell alike IMO.

treeman5823

Give up, just quit, because in this life, you can't win. Yeah, you can try, but in the end you're just gonna lose, big time, because the world is run by the Man.

--Dewey Finn

I just got NRFH recently in a swap. Already had a 1 ml sample vial, so I knew what I was getting into.
    It's not my favorite scent, but I like it well enough. In my top 10. Even my wife thinks it's "not bad," which surprised me.
    Not for everyone, I'll admit, but unique. And I think the whole "sad" and "gloomy" reputation of this frag is a bit overdone.
    But the sweet violet does predominate.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----