Code of Conduct

Default Running out of ideas for summer citrus Help !

I have been craving a nice citrus lately and summer is around the corner. Ive found some that i like but nothing that blows me away from beginning to end. Yesterday I tried Bigrade Concentree from a sample I have had laying around and loved the scent but it dries into nothing on my skin. Then I looked at my wardrobe and realized I have very few citrus based scents.

Any recs to start building a citrus portion of a wardrobe. Meaning, MUST have citrus scents ?

Default Re: Running out of ideas for summer citrus Help !

I like a lot O de Lancome. Very fresh, but then turns into something greener and more vegetal, which I like, but it's not pure citrus anymore. Cravache is also pleasant, though not especially long lasting.

You could also go into the more citrusy of the green chypres, like Ormonde Jayne Tiare. These are not really citruses, but give some of the same satisfaction as citruses, though they are more structured and long lasting.

cacio

I really loved Issey Miyake L'eau d'issay SPORT although I hate the original, try it out.
    Another few are Chanel Allure Homme Sport, (Anything with a "Sport" has more citrus lemon added to it)
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    Bleu De Chanel

I really loved Issey Miyake L'eau d'issay SPORT although I hate the original, try it out.
    Another few are Chanel Allure Homme Sport, (Anything with a "Sport" has more citrus lemon added to it)
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    Bleu De Chanel

Monsieur Balmain

Banned
    Blog Entries

niche: virgin island water
    designer: versace man eau fraiche

My three favourite summer citrus scents are:

- Bergamote 22 by Le Labo;
    - West Indian Limes by Crabtree and Evelyn; and
    - GFT by Geo F Trumpers.

They are excellent bergamot, lime and lemon scents, respectively.

Don't write the latter two off because of their price, either. I still think WIL is the best citrus scent around.
    I mean lime, vetiver and a small kick of ginger? Wonderful stuff, and lasts a surprisingly long time for a lime EDC.

A shower with the WIL shower gel, followed by a shave with the matching shaving cream (the soap sucks) and aftershave balm, then applying 5 healthy sprays of the EDC is the perfect start to a hot summer Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I like a lot O de Lancome. Very fresh, but then turns into something greener and more vegetal, which I like, but it's not pure citrus anymore. Cravache is also pleasant, though not especially long lasting.

You could also go into the more citrusy of the green chypres, like Ormonde Jayne Tiare. These are not really citruses, but give some of the same satisfaction as citruses, though they are more structured and long lasting.

cacio

'Vegetal, like Ormonde man or French Lover ?

It's currently summer here in Oz,

been enjoying

Creed - Jardin d'Amalfi
    Kilian - Bamboo Harmony

Well composed Citrus with good longevity
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Creed Selection Verte. Awesome natural citrus with real mint oil that helps it to last much longer that other citrus based frags.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Just a couple of my favorite summer-time citrus-based scents. In no particular order:

Monsieur Balmain: It comes off as all-lemons, but the drydown is a bit woodsy and I get a little bit of leather/musk at the very tail end.

Armani Eau Pour Homme: Citrus in the mix, but a very bold woodsy/mossy scent. Definitely citrus at the start, but TONS of depth here.

Claiborne for Men: For me, this is like someone took 1988, bottled it up, and made it available for me to re-visit. The grapefruit in this one is not shy, and tends to even "shout" a bit, but even with what some refer to as a "dated construction" (it is predictable), it still delivers and retains its fans. Also can be had for a song just about anywhere.

Gendarme (Original): Oh, citrus and verbena...so brilliantly fresh. And DIFFERENT!!! When this one hit Marshall Field's State Street store about April of 1989, I saw it was new and had to try it. There was nothing else like it, not even Eternity for Men. From first sniff, all I ever knew this scent to signify is "Summer!" Citrusy brightness with a smooth, leathery drydown, I lean on this one in the summer. Love it!

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior: Seeing as Chanel's Pour Monsieur (Original) is not offered for sale in the US, Eau Sauvage is my choice for a citrusy-fresh frag for a more dressed-up occasion. A true classic.

Just a couple ideas. Cheers!

Eau de Rochas pour homme is a very distinctive citrus.
    Eau d'Hadrien is a very realistic citrus.
    And I'll add Eau d'Orange Verte, truly lovely
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Puredistance M starts with a bergamot citrus accord - quickly moving to a cinnamon and leather but much more complex. Ok, the citrus is fleeting, but this is such a great scent I don't care - and it's Summer here!

Xerjoff nio
    Xerjoff 1861
    Heeley sel Marin
    Creed pure white cologne

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I still think WIL is the best citrus scent around.
    I mean lime, vetiver and a small kick of ginger? Wonderful stuff, and lasts a surprisingly long time for a lime EDC.

A shower with the WIL shower gel, followed by a shave with the matching shaving cream (the soap sucks) and aftershave balm, then applying 5 healthy sprays of the EDC is the perfect start to a hot summer Saturday.
    I do agree about the West Indian Limes scent and the other products in the range. I haven't tried the shaving soap but the cream is excellent. Although the C&E Sandalwood soap is pretty good.

Back on topic: aside from WIL, I recommend Guerlain Homme L'Eau and L'Eau Boisee. Both very refreshing, the former more so.

+1 on Creed Selection Verte. One of the best summer scents ever. Also, Creed's Pure White Cologne is great and has much better longevity than the usual citrus-based colognes.

As you know, Citrus scents are notorious for being short lived. This can be improved by spraying liberally on clothing, which really lengthens the longevity. Chanel's Eau de Cologne, from their Exclusifs line, is one of the best around and my personal citrus (EDC-type) favorite.

Other great citruses are Acqua di Parma's Colonia, Penhaligon's Eau de Cologne, Lorenzo Villoresi's Acqua di Colonia, and Creed Citrus Bigarrade.

Guerlainista

How about Eau de Guerlain? This one works well in the heat.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I do agree about the West Indian Limes scent and the other products in the range. I haven't tried the shaving soap but the cream is excellent. Although the C&E Sandalwood soap is pretty good.
    Yeah, I dunno what happened with the WIL soap, I've got the Sienna soap and it gives a terrific lather.
    The WIL soap is either a different recipe, or they couldn't get it to work with the oils in the scent. The lather is very thin and breaks down very quickly....not quite Caswell Massey quickly, but still not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano1551 View Post
    Xerjoff nio
    Xerjoff 1861
    Heeley sel Marin
    Creed pure white cologne
    Killed it. Wearing Neo now but Xejoff, no matter how light, its still heavy. Selection Verte sounds interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Im thinking I will like Selection verte. Thank you Heperd and RedRaider430. Richie, Gendarme G is a good idea which I own, and have no experience with Eau Savage.

Sound Scents

Eau de Patou by Jean Patou would top my list in the category.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Eau de Patou by Jean Patou would top my list in the category.
    Beat me to it

I'd also heartily second -

Eau de Guerlain.
    Creed Jardin D'Amalfi.
    Xerjoff 1861.
    Trumper GFT.

Laura Tonatto Iss. A bit linear, perhaps, but good longevity and darn good.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Bond neveau Bowery
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Bvlgari pH Extreme is my personal favorite citrus fragrance.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Aqua Fahrenheit is a pretty distinct take on citrus .

Guerlain Homme L'Eau

Dior Homme Sport

For a more aromatic, year-round citrus, "Uomo" by Lorenzo Villoresi.

Have you tried Joe Malones lemon basil mandarin?

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried Joe Malones lemon basil mandarin?

Original Vetiver
    +1 Jardin d Amalfi - Great fragrance.
    +1 Sel Marin - Close your eyes and spray on this and your there on the beach by a pale blue sea. A very evocative scent.

I really like Eau de Paco Rabanne - a sicilian lemmon heavy on sandal
    other very good options are Jardin du Nil, Fleur du Male La Cologne (the EDC version, a lighter, lemony and muskier version of Fleur du Male EDT), Centaure. Gandini 1896 has some very good options also (niche quality and drugstore prices)

Definitely try eau sauvage.

From my collection, Cartier Declaration L'Essence and Declaration Cologne are good. My newest fragrance purchase, Azzaro Pour Homme Nighttime is a kinda dark, stuffy citrus that I like I think will be good in the warmer months. I don't own the following 3, but I think they're great citruses for the summer: Hermes Pamplemouse Rose, Francis Kurkdijan's APOM, and Creed's Royal Water (I have an oil version designed to smell just like this, and it does).

Concentre d'Orange Verte, always fresh!

I have to second the Monsieur Balmain recommendations.

If you like Bigrade Concentree give Orange Sanguine a try. It doesnt get any more orange than that and it last forever. Also try Xerjoff Kobe, its nothing bland and boring.

Going back to O de Lancome, no, it's not deep and green as French Lover or OJ Man. It's just lightly green mossy.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Going back to O de Lancome, no, it's not deep and green as French Lover or OJ Man. It's just lightly green mossy.

cacio
    Ok exactly what I wanted to hear. Cant deal with either FL or OJM. Green mossy is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    I have been craving a nice citrus lately and summer is around the corner.
    Holy cow man, how far south are you? Key West? As a former Georgian/Floridian/Texan, now living in the Pacific Northwest, I sure don't miss the endless summers of the south! I do miss the food though - especially when it comes to Texas! MMMmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMM!!!

Here are my two summer picks:

Lalique White: It's lemony peppery goodness can be had on the cheap online, and I prefer it over Chanel Allure Homme Sport Longname Edition Blanche. Summer doesn't reach my part of the country until early July, but this is what I'll be wearing when it finally arrives.

Fahrenheit Aqua: Don't let the Fahrenheit name fool you. Sure, if you search for it, you'll find hints of the original buried deep within this flanker, but honestly, Fahrenheit Aqua could have easily been released without the F-word. Bitter citrus with amazing longevity you'd never expect from a fresh summer scent. Yum.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for HdP 1725 or Bond Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Bergamote 22 -- musky and ambery citrus

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Yeah, I dunno what happened with the WIL soap, I've got the Sienna soap and it gives a terrific lather.
    The WIL soap is either a different recipe, or they couldn't get it to work with the oils in the scent. The lather is very thin and breaks down very quickly....not quite Caswell Massey quickly, but still not great.
    Yep, I've got the Sienna soap too and it's similar to the Sandalwood for lathering (one notch below IMO though). I've also got the Nomad cream, which I do not recommend however. It lathers well enough, but smells awful. The EdT is so-so, but the cream is a no-no.

Anyway, the WIL is a good scent, but perhaps more of a vetiver-in-disguise then a full-on citrus.

They've already been mentioned, but Eau Sauvage, Dior Homme Sport, Guerlain Homme L'Eau (Homme L'Eau Boisee if you want your lime with smoky vetiver), Acqua Di Parma Essenza and Eau D'Orange Verte are all fantastic. I'm a big citrus fan.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

Fahrenheit Aqua: Don't let the Fahrenheit name fool you. Sure, if you search for it, you'll find hints of the original buried deep within this flanker, but honestly, Fahrenheit Aqua could have easily been released without the F-word. Bitter citrus with amazing longevity you'd never expect from a fresh summer scent. Yum.
    Thanks for this. The F-Word always scared me off this, but now I'll give it a try!
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Bulgari PH Soir
    YSL Live Jazz
    Creed Jardin D'Amalfi

Bergamatto Marino

Lili Bermuda Fresh Water

Fresh Water is an energizing blend of exotic citruses including bigarade orange, Italian bergamot, juicy mandarine and grapefruit as well as neroli and delicate petitgrain.

Jardin d'Amalfi
    Pure White Cologne
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Selection Verte
    Profumum Aqua Viva

1+ Eau de Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    Thanks for this. The F-Word always scared me off this, but now I'll give it a try!
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for HdP 1725 or Bond Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Palm Springs in August, when there's actually humidity coming up from the Gulf of California, is the ultimate test of a fragrance. The top pick for me would be Ferragamo Tuscan Soul. Next would be Bulgari Eau Pafumee au The Blanc. Both can survive the most awful heat and humdity.

I will probably get only one new one this Summer, likely to be Tom Ford Azure Lime.

Eau Sauvage, surprisingly, turned out to be a Winter fragrance for me. It's heavier than most people think it is.

CologneFan85

Armani code summer, DG The One sport

My fave citrus is Heeley Oranges & Lemons. I've tried lots of niche offerings, but this one is my favorite.

Basenotes Junkie

For really citrus-y then l' eau2kenzo pour homme is grapefruit and tomato leaf. Lasts about 3 hours on clothes, but is fantastic while there.

Neroli portofino is my summer citrus though. Sure it is citrus flower and much as citrus but still. Awesome fragrance.

Rick

My favorite citrus fragrances are:

Creed - Jardin d'Amalfi
    Chanel - Allure Homme Sport
    Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Annick Goutal - Les Nuits d'Hadrien
    Pierre Balmain - Monsieur Balmain
    Versace Man - Eau Fraiche

I get a very nice - and lasting - citrus in Creed Original Vetiver (I know not everyone does, though), and I also enjoy Neroli Portofino.

Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons Series 4: Cologne

I don't know if anyone agrees with this, but it seems to me that in the last 10-20 years, the "citrus" frag, and I mean something primarily citrus or citrus chypre, not an aquatic with a fleeting citrus topnote, has become confined to niche brands. I can only assume it is due to the rise of those aquatics - they are bright, uplifting, refreshing, and because they are almost entirely synthetic, they are cheap. If you try to use synthetic substitutes for citrus notes, it ends up smelling of furniture polish or floor cleaner.

Also, if Bigarade Concentree doesn't last on you, its going to be tricky finding something that will, because I find this one of the more long lasting Citrus frags. Obviously it doesn't smell of oranges all the way to the end, totally linear Citrus frags don't last. The other "big oranges", all of which smell great, are Orange Sanguine, Tangerine Vert, Little Italy and Arancia di Capri, all with varying levels of longevity. The new Aqua Allegoria Nerolia Bianca also looks like its going to be oranges all the way down, but its likely to be short lived.

I love a good, "old school" citrus, either citrus chypres or frags that follow the traditional Eau de Cologne pattern but with more potency. Stuff like Bn9 Eau de New York, Annick Goutal Eau du Sud, Miller Harris Le Petit Grain, Armani Eau pour Homme, Eau de Guerlain, Eau de Rochas Homme, Clarins Eau Dynamisante, O de Lancôme, Chanel Pour Monsieur, and Monsieur de Givenchy.

Frags with a more "modern" style would be Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport (what a clumsy name, as commented already) or Lalique White, these two are similar. Cartier Declaration Cologne and Eau de Cartier. Guerlain Homme L'Eau/L'Eau Boisee. The Comme des Garcons Series 4 trio. Dior Homme Sport. Mugler Cologne.

Basenotes Member Carvalho Diablo's Avatar
    Pompadour Cosmetique Company, Baker Street

Another vote for Original Vetiver, and try a sample of Sel de Vetiver too, that juice is fantastic.
    ***My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world : those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.***

+1 on Dior Homme Sport and Eau Sauvage

Also, try the new Prada Luna Rossa. I have developed a fondness for this one as of late and it has very respectable longevity. I think it will do very well in warm weather
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

I would like to find another great citrus or two. What I use and enjoy now are:

Trumpers Limes - dry limes - short lived but it is a wake up call
    Guerlain Homme L' Eau - spice lime, mint and lemon - cool breezes of refreshment
    Jardin d' Amalfi (props to Jack Hunter for the inspiration recommendation) - florals and citrus - coastal breezes
    Guerlan Cologne du Parfumeur - lemon zest - pure refinement

I think I will go drench myself in one of these now

I am really not a citrus guy, but yesterday I bought one:

YSL pour homme. Fantastic stuff. Other citrus oriented (with lavender) taht I like are Mouchoir de Monsieur and Ungaro ll.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread