Code of Conduct

Arrow Getting over Iris Ganache

Recently I got a sample of Iris Ganache and unfortunately have gotten quite attached to it. I find myself dreaming of a whole bottle even though with my current income buying one would be ridiculous. Finding similar but more budget-friendly alternatives for it would be ideal. Any suggestions?

What I most crave for are those wonderful white chocolate notes and the amazing longevity and perfect sillage. Even 14 hours after applying I can still smell IG clearly from arm's length but it's never overpowering. It's also complex enough and evolves nicely from odd to gourmand.

I have read several people comparing IG to Après L'Ondée or Insolence. Neither is what I'm looking for. I haven't tried all the others from the L'Art et la Matière line but they are not really budget-friendly either... Cruel Gardenia and Cuir Beluga were nothing special for me.

Default Re: Getting over Iris Ganache

Sounds like an interesting frag.

queen of the universe

Iris Ganache is one of the most purely beautiful fragrances I've ever experienced. My 5 ml decant is nearly spent and I understand where androidi is coming from. The iris note is more iris flower than orris root to me. It is luxurious without being overwhelming. It brings to mind Baudelaire's Invitation au Voyage:

Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
    Luxe, calme et volupté.

What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

jujy54, the iris note is indeed flowery rather than rooty. But unlike many other iris scents, it's not powdery (at least to my nose). The Baudelaire citation is really fitting.

I have tried to figure out why IG proved out to be relatively so unpopular that Guerlain decided to discontinue it. The obvious reason is that there must be some (more inexpensive) fragrances with similar qualities. Otherwise I just don't get it.

I even gave Guerlain some bitter feedback via their website and got a lengthy response explaining that "the history of Guerlain is made of almost 800 olfactive creations but, unfortunately, it is impossible to keep them all. The growing number of new releases in perfumes and cosmetics forces us to continuously renew our offer. Our products always have to be more outstanding, of better quality and with the most diversity possible. Consequently, the low demand of one product forces us to stop its fabrication." Same old blues...

Entirely different fragances, but Histoires de Parfums 1969 has a similar white chocolate note, also Noir Patchouli from the same house. Budgetwise a little lighter, but not terribly, I'm sorry.
    I must admit I did expect NOT to like Iris Ganache, but I DID, although it gets too sweet in the drydown, but the bittersweetness is edgy and haunting. I could do without the chocolate-y deep base.

Histoires de Parfums is a completely new house for me so I'm curious to try these two. Thanks.

Few weeks ago I reviewed Iris Ganache on my blog. You can read my impressions here:
    http://chemistinthebottle.wordpress....-iris-ganache/

There is something about Felanilla by Parfumerie Générale that reminds me of Iris Ganache. Less sophisticated for sure. And I must admit it's more than two years back I smelled Iris Ganache. But be patient if you try Felanilla – the dry down takes some time...

I agree with Graphite, I got the seem feelings from Felanilla

Good luck with this. I've done some searching myself, and coming up with any satisfactory alternatives has been impossible, so I honestly can't imagine ever finding a budget-friendly option. But what's the point of saving a few bucks if you don't love it as much, anyway? Seriously, I'd say if you can actually source a bottle of Iris Ganache, then just get it and don't look back. Buy two if they have another available.

Again, good luck - I'll be watching this thread with my fingers crossed!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Dear lucasai, your post is not really helping anyone get over Iris Ganache. The smell of wealth indeed! Your description of the scent is really precise. I can tell I'm nothing like the Iris Ganache wearer you imagined. However, it feels just right for me.

Felanilla seems definitely worth a try.

Evangeline, I know you're right about buying a bottle. Besides if one is just trying to find something that's similar than something else, disappointments are bound to follow... But at this point I'm still willing to try.

I definitely recommend trying 1969 by Histoires de Parfum. It is NOT iris-chocolate perfume, but the idea is similar - chocolate mixed with fruit, I would say (peach for me). Both are my big perfume loves, both on my top 10 list. Do not expect the similar scent, but if you liked IG, you may like 1969 as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I definitely recommend trying 1969 by Histoires de Parfum. It is NOT iris-chocolate perfume, but the idea is similar - chocolate mixed with fruit, I would say (peach for me). Both are my big perfume loves, both on my top 10 list. Do not expect the similar scent, but if you liked IG, you may like 1969 as well.

Iris Ganache can be found at the Guerlain Boutique in Las Vegas.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheglows! View Post
    Iris Ganache can be found at the Guerlain Boutique in Las Vegas.
    This is true - I can personally verify it! I was there in December and they had a 500ml bee bottle available! It might be a bit more than you were wanting to spend androidi, but it should last a while, at least ...a great investment in your fragrant future.

But really Sheglows, have you seen any of the regular 2.5oz bottles there lately? They have them in stock right now? That's good news!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Oh dear... This is really not going well. Unfortunately I don't have anyone near Vegas who is willing to do some shopping for me. One of my friends is going to Wyoming for internship in a few months but I doubt if even she would be agreeable to do that.

Evangeline-- I was there on December 23 and she had the tester and the 75ml. size in stock, funny I almost bought it because I had a feeling it was going be hard to find. Neiman Marcus in Bellevue, Washington also had it on their tester counter all last fall as well.

Thanks Sheglows! I think that's good news in general, androidi, as it seems there are still a few bottles around here and there. Have you made any phone calls? If you find a boutique that has it in stock I can't imagine they wouldn't be happy to ship it to you, and try a few department stores, too. Both Neimans and Nordstrom (and Saks, I believe) carried it here, and although it's no longer on their websites, they might have a bottle or two at one of the stores. I got my back-up bottle just a few months ago, and I seriously doubt it was the very last one. Don't give up - you'll find it!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 3rd March 2013 at 11:38 PM.

Evangeline, I haven't made any phone calls yet. It seems like a considerable option.

Have you ordered anything from a boutique via telephone? How about the payment?

^ Yep, and it couldn't be easier - just have your credit card ready!

Right now there are two on the For Sale forum, European shipping available. Not cheap though, but very worth it.

Thank you Evangeline!
    I actually don't have a credit card (which has been a very effective way to keep me from getting too excited with fragrances ) but I'll be spending some months in Germany this spring/summer, so I should get one before that.

Twolf, it just wouldn't feel very good to pay prices like that for something that was discontinued less than two years ago. Of course no one sells it at retail price anymore but the one on eBay costs already almost twice as much as the other L'Art et la Matières. No doubt someone will buy it but I'll have to restrain myself.

Since it seems that some shops do still have a few bottles in store, I might just as well wait until I get to Munich and check out the situation there first. It would be better to make a big purchase there than to make one just before leaving...