Code of Conduct

Default A Few Questions. Dilution and help with a wood smoke accord and a autumn leaf accord

Hi! I am just getting back into perfuming after20 years, I am an an amateur and new to aroma chemicals.

My first question: reading posts on this site, I noticed a lot of you per-dilute your fragrance materials from anywhere to 10% to 1%. When you do this,and then create a perfume concentrate from the diluted materials, do you then add more alcohol at the end you make whatever perfume concentration you desire? Or you blend in quantities sufficient to have an end product? I hope this is clear...

Question 2: I want to develop a Halloween inspired perfume. For this, I would like to either compose a wood smoke accord and an autumn leaf Accord OR find single aroma chemicals to get these scents. I envision these notes as the middle notes lingering into a deep, woody base. I also planto use a caramel note in the middle. I have spent several hours searching....plenty of premade fragrance oils, but nothing for someone trying not Tues fragrance oils with all their owns. I should mention that as of yet, I haven't purchased any supplies. I plan to get a few good basics and begin with one perfume at a time, adding materials as I go.

Thank you for any help you are help you are willing to share!

Rebecca

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: A Few Questions. Dilution and help with a wood smoke accord and a autumn leaf accord

Hi Rebecca, I see that you have posted this question three times, each starting a new thread.. try to keep it to one thread per question, please...

Smoke comes in many versions...
    Maybe Choya Ral or Choya Loban (Benzoin) might be your best solution for this scent.
    And yes, these are EXTREMELY powerful, and should be prediluted to about 1% - 5% for you to blend with.

And for the Leaf scent, this will take some expertise and experimenting. But the good news, is that you have a lot of time before Halloween.. :-)

But DIY, Acorn Acetate looks good, but good luck finding it.
    Boronal Looks good.

But for ideas, you can query the Perfumer's Search page:
    http://www.perfumersearch.com/
    by typing in whatever attributes you seek, I typed in Dry Leaves fall, and culled through the results to get the two listed above which seemed a likely match.

You can also search for an aromatic material, by searching for it's name.

But my hunch is that if Boronal doesn't fit the bill by itself, that you might have trouble trying to accomplish your goal in your current state of knowledge. And it might be easier to search for a fragrance oil to slove this problem, as much as it pains me to say that to another perfume learner, as I usually eschew buying a fragrance oils to solve a problem.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Default Re: A Few Questions. Dilution and help with a wood smoke accord and a autumn leaf accord

Thank you Paul, for such a quick reply. Sorry about the extra posts, they were accidental and I asked a mod to remove them. I appreciate your expertise and advice! And, thank you for the great link. There is so much to learn and so much to sift through. I am so grateful for groups like these.

Basenotes Junkie

Hi Rebecca,
    i've a blogpost on my site, which describes how to tincture your own smoke note from burned frankincense. If you replace the frankincense with wood chips, you will get the desired burnt wood smoke note.

Happy perfuming!
    Please visit my blog for a listing of all my free formulas

Thank you jsparla! I will have to try that. You could probably do the same thing with burning fall leaves...

In my opinion/experience, burnt wood typically isn't an attractive smell. It tends to be the (boiling) resins in the wood that give the attractive scent, if any, in a fire.

Rebecca, from what I understand about diluting the final fragrance, it tends to be diluted with Di Propylene Glycol (DPG) to give the correct final dilution for an EDP or EDT. But if you don't have that, ethanol should be fine. I seem to end up diluting my final fragrances by adding an extra 25% of the weight of the perfume in alcohol (I don't use DPG) to get a toilette. Chris has a (reasonably complex) spreadsheet for working out all the dilutions and how much alcohol to add at his blog

Ambolt, thank you. I appreciate the link to the spreadsheet too! Most helpful.

Silky Scents on Amazon, sells a birch tar that smells like liquid smoke they sell at walmart. It's not, but it is strong and long lasting.