Code of Conduct

Default Help with finding a great Lavender frag

I don't know how many of you shop at whole foods, but i keep my house stocked with the 3 for $6 soap bars they always have on display by the registers. I always get the lavender ones.

I also get this lavender "aroma therapy mist for room and body" from whole foods as well.

So i was washing my hands today, with the aforementioned soap. And i thought, i love this scent so much. I wish i had a great frag that smelled just like this.

So does anyone know anything they can recommend? I don't really want anything too complex. Just Lavender, long lasting, and natural quality. Not lavender in the background. Just lavender lavender lavender.

And yes i have tried the mist on myself. I lasts for about 5 minutes

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Default Re: Help with finding a great Lavender frag

Lavande by Molinard

Pure Lavande by Azzaro

Creed Royal Scottish Lavender - if you can find it

Caldey Island Lavender
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge

I've tried the azzaro long ago, i didnt get a whole lot of lavender.

Anyone try this one "Caron Pour Homme"

Maybe i should just track down some lavender extract oil?

I did a poll on people's favorite lavender fragrance a few weeks ago with almost 140 people voting and over 60 posting comments. The top three turned out to be Caron Pour un Homme, Guerlain Jicky and By Kilian A Taste of Heaven.
    You might find that thread interesting or the discussion inspirational: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/320...der?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post

I think the lavender is there in the top notes, I love this scent!

Yes. It's pretty nice. Not my favorite, but quite good, and you should be able to find it at a very good price.

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Yes. It's pretty nice. Not my favorite, but quite good, and you should be able to find it at a very good price.

Acqua Di Parma Lavanda Tonica is my favourite of the more raw lavender scents (it smells masculine, while most others are more uinsex).
    Azzaro Pure Lavender and Lanvin L'Homme are my favourite designer lavender scents.
    Regards,
    Renato

CologneFan85

Ysl libre

I co-sign the Oxford and Cambridge.

Max.

Caldey Island Lavender seems to be what you are looking for. Also:
    English Lavender
    Caron Pour un Homme

L'Occitane Lavender is what you're looking for. You can get a huge 10oz bottle for around $50. It's also worth trying to track down a bottle of Nicolai Pour Homme, great lavender scent.

treeman5823

Caldey Island's Lavender is probably the best lavender soliflore. Jicky is a wonderful perfume, like a pared down Shalimar with lavender up top and more civet. Tom Ford's Lavender Palm is also pretty good, based on a brief impression.

Ok I ordered Caron pour homme, and Oxford and Cambridge.
    I'm going down to visit the L'occitaine store this weekend.

I'm very interested in Kilian taste of heaven. It's a little pricey for a blind buy. I'm going to find a sample.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to go read through that other thread.

Anyone else have any other suggestions keep them coming

Edit:
    Just ordered Serge Lutens Gris Clair.
    I've never been disappointed by any SL frag. This sounds right up my alley. Maybe not pure lavender, but I know I'll love it anyway.
    Last edited by aphexacid; 2nd March 2013 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    This.
    Something tells me you've never smelled a Caron fragrance in your life.

I like the new Atelier "Sous le toit de Paris'. It's a very pleasant fragrance that's not as simple as it initially appears to be. There is a rather heavy lavender opening that's blended well with citrus and orange blossoms, plus a softer leather permeating through. Plus, it's 30 ml for $65 US!

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinent View Post
    Something tells me you've never smelled a Caron fragrance in your life.

I like the new Atelier "Sous le toit de Paris'. It's a very pleasant fragrance that's not as simple as it initially appears to be. There is a rather heavy lavender opening that's blended well with citrus and orange blossoms, plus a softer leather permeating through. Plus, it's 30 ml for $65 US!
    Mmm, sounds amazing!

Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender and Patou Pour Homme Privé are my favourites. I like the Molinard too.

Encens et Lavende for a lavender with incense. I've been out for over a year. I do want to sample some others.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

You have found the holy grail with Gris Clair if you want dominant lavender throughout the fragrance along with good projection and longevity.

^
    That's what it's sounding like. Authentic lavender throughout.

The others I ordered sound very interesting to me as well.

I will say however Caron has me intrigued the most. If nothing else, than just the year it was launched.
    I can almost guarantee ill love Gris Clair.

I can't wait!

Lavender, not my fav note

however, enjoy wearing

Serge Lutens - Encens et Lavende - Lavender & Incense
    Caron Pour un Homme - Lavender & Vanilla
    Kilian - A taste of Heaven - Similar to Caron Pour un Homme
    Serge Lutens - Gris Clair - Lavender/Iris,Amber/Woody/incense
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

If you love Lavender, you should keep a big bottle of Puig Agua Lavanda around. It's super cheap, and its a very nice, simple, unadorned lavender. You can splash it on after bathing, use it as a linen spray, spray clothes, handkerchiefs, etc. with it. Get it here:

http://www.parfum1.com/agua-lavanda-...sp?itm=AGULC25
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I can't imagine you not liking Caron pour un Homme if you like lavender and aromatherapy. It's basically a big lavender note that very slowly melds and fades into a big vanilla note.

If you do end of liking it, but want something more complex, I recommend Nicolai Pour Homme. It almost feels like the Caron acts as a sort of skeleton that she adorns with all these extra flourishes: mint and glabanum in the top, extra florals in the mid, and some herbs in the base. It's quite beautiful.

Fourreau Noir - since you said you're fond of Serge Lutens.

for swap/sale:

I just bought Kilian taste of heaven! I love back to black, do hopefully this is just as quality.
    I dropped about $500 on lavender scents today ha! I'm not a psycho or anything, but I'm definitely on a lavender kick. If I don't like any, I'm sure my brother or someone else will.

So many amazing suggestions, thank you guys!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/238006-Best-Lavender

My vote is for Les Plus Belles Lavande by Caron
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

+1 for Kilian A Taste of Heaven

Seconding especially:

Caron pour un Homme
    English Lavender

1725 Histoires de Parfums
    Invasion Barbare MDCI

Caron Pour un Homme is a classic scent with prominent lavender. Invasion Barbare is another great one, though much more expensive.

Etat Libre d'Orange "Antiheros" is my go-to perfume when I want Lavender With A Capital L, and lots of it.

Caron Pour Un Homme is wonderful, though it's more than "just lavender".
    Caldey Island Lavender is great too, but its longevity isn't great on me.
    And you certainly made a great choice ordering some SJ Gris Clair, though I prefer SL Encens et Lavande for its more pronounced incense note.

But do give the ELdO Antiheros a try if you have the opportunity. It's one of the better perfumes in the ELdO lineup, and to my mind deserves more attention than it seems to get.

^ I actually own Invasion Barbare already. I like it quite a bit, but its not quite satisfying that big lavender note i'm looking for. SO many other things going on in this one.

Etat Libre d'Orange "Antiheros" is one i'm looking into now!

I took a visit to L'Occitaine today. I tested out Lavande. Sadly, it was gone within an hour

Aphexacid, I love a bold AND true lavender scent, too. I grow lavender in the garden just so I can be surrounded by the fragrance all summer long. You'll adore the elegant Gris Clair. I can hardly call it a runner up, but Lutens Encens et Lavande should be sampled, as well. Don't worry, the lav holds it's own despite sharing the bill with incense. Lutens Fourreau Noir, may not compete with the above for a lavender purist as the tonka bean pushes the lavender out of the way after about 10 minutes (still sample it to explore more of the SL line). Caron Pour Homme is likable, but more delicate and fleeting in its lav notes. I wouldn't turn it down, if it were gifted to me.

Another option not listed above is Guerlain's Lavande Velours from their Aqua Allegoria line. I was impressed by it's loyalty to pure lavender without being muddled by woods/spice/greens. Surprisingly strong for an AA offering. However, the slightly powdery drydown releases some violet, which may or may not be up your alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    Aphexacid, I love a bold AND true lavender scent, too. I grow lavender in the garden just so I can be surrounded by the fragrance all summer long. You'll adore the elegant Gris Clair. I can hardly call it a runner up, but Lutens Encens et Lavande should be sampled, as well. Don't worry, the lav holds it's own despite sharing the bill with incense. Lutens Fourreau Noir, may not compete with the above for a lavender purist as the tonka bean pushes the lavender out of the way after about 10 minutes (still sample it to explore more of the SL line). Caron Pour Homme is likable, but more delicate and fleeting in its lav notes. I wouldn't turn it down, if it were gifted to me.

Another option not listed above is Guerlain's Lavande Velours from their Aqua Allegoria line. I was impressed by it's loyalty to pure lavender without being muddled by woods/spice/greens. Surprisingly strong for an AA offering. However, the slightly powdery drydown releases some violet, which may or may not be up your alley.

This sounds amazing, thank you!

I'm really foaming at the mouth for SL Gris Clair. I'm kind of wishing i would have just ran down to Barney's to scoop up a bottle so i don't have to wait! Patience...I'll sniff my lavender soap until all my bottles arrive!

You're welcome. I'm so jealous that you've got a full bottle of Gris Clair coming your way. You'll be in purple heaven. Keep us posted on what you think of it, how it compares to the Caron, and if you eventually add any others to the lavender Hall of Fame.

I'm rescinding my suggestion for the Lavande Velours. Great opening, but the drydown sometimes takes a sour note that completely knocks it out of the running with those other Lutens.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and to clarify when I said earlier about Encens et Lavande being "hardly a runner-up", I meant to say that EL is almost on par with GC only it that it's slightly less "pure lavender" than GC.
    EL came out in the mid-90's. To me, it seems like he minimally tweaked its recipe to create Gris Clair a decade later. A very subtle evolution.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Schilling; 3rd March 2013 at 03:27 AM. Reason: duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Lavande by Molinard
    Agreed, also try Agua Lavanda by Puig.

Both dirt cheap to boot.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Well, what were the results?

I just read that Frank Sinatra's favorite fragrance was Agua Lavanda by Puig, according to his daughter Tina, who said he always smelled of lavender.

I find Le Male and Amouage Reflection to have tons of it.

I was actually going to post my opinions after i got to know them a bit better, but here is what i think so far:

Caron pour homme: I haven't got to this one yet ....The first bottle came with a broken atomizer, so i had to send it back, and i have the new one sitting unopened.

Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge THIS STUFF IS POTENT! Huge lavender note! But its got this underlying mintyness that creeps up. But it does something to the lavender i think, because it transforms it into a different kind of lavender scent towards the middle. I love it, but again, not quite what i was looking for when i'm reaching for a pure lavender.

Serge Lutens Gris Clair This is pure SL. But shockingly, not what i was looking for. I do love it though. It does have lavender, no doubt. But its got this certain sweetness to it that i don't want if i'm looking for a pure lavender. Its got that signature SL "thickness" to it as well.

Kilian taste of heaven This is almost exactly what i'm looking for. Its a beautiful lavender in the opening. Very authentic. Then later transforming into something a bit more like lavender/amber combo. I really feel like theres some amber in it. I've only worn it once, and i was a bit disappointed with the longevity at this price point. But the smell is absolutely amazing. Almost exactly what i was looking for.

Whats funny, is i revisited some frags i already own, and comparing directly to the room spray, i think i like Invasion Barbare for the best dry straight to the point lavender.

It's hard to explain, but the room spray has no sweetness to it at all. Its just lavender, slightly soapish.

So far, lavender without any sweetness, or messing around is Kilians and mdci for sure.

I also see "Agua Lavanda by Puig" mentioned a couple times now. I'm going to seek this out now!

I see your wardrobe lacks some Guerlain, and you like orientals. Perhaps you should give Jicky a spin?
    It is not all about lavender, but it is a classic and a beautiful fragrance I myself sorely need in my wardrobe.
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

^ the only Guerlain i've got is LIDGE. very far from lavender lol. I have sniffed Jicky....not my cup of tea

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Laura Tonatto's Albi is a wonderful peppery lavender frag. The lavender lasts well into the drydown. slightly sweeter than Eau de l'Occitane which is another peppery lavender. My favourite though is Oxford and Cambridge.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

...hidden gem...

Caron pour in homme forever.

Whats funny, is i revisited some frags i already own, and comparing directly to the room spray, i think i like Invasion Barbare for the best dry straight to the point lavender.

It's hard to explain, but the room spray has no sweetness to it at all. Its just lavender, slightly soapish.

So far, lavender without any sweetness, or messing around is Kilians and mdci for sure.

I also see "Agua Lavanda by Puig" mentioned a couple times now. I'm going to seek this out now!
    The room spray you're talking about — is it Aura Cacia "Lavender Harvest" Mist? That has lavender proper (lavandula angustifolia), lavandin and spike lavender. And water. It's herbaceous, a bit camphorous, but it also has a slight tea-like note — very much like the lavender my mom's garden. And yeah, it's hard to get that pure lavender smell, without musks, other florals, or a strong balsamic or vanillic base. I've read that the less camphorous varieties of lavender are considered "higher quality," which might be an additional factor. Personally, I like that raw edge to lavender.

Anyway, you could try mixing those three essential oils, and diluting in a carrier oil, but that could get pricey and frustrating. (Aura Cacia sells the oils as well, but I swear that they're not as good as the ones they put in their spray — grr)

I'd be curious to hear if the inexpensive Puig cologne isn't just the thing.

PS: every time I pass those lavender soap bars at Whole Foods, I sniff them.

- - - Updated - - -

Just read more about lavenders, and now I'm befuddled. Terpenes, camphor, grrr.
    What accounts for that muted rosemary smell of L'Occitane dried lavender, as opposed to the menthol-y quality of the soap at Whole Foods? GAH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavandula#Nomenclature_and_taxonomy

Caron Pour un Homme
    A Taste of Heaven by Kilian
    Oxford & Cambridge by Czech and Speake
    1725 by Histoires de Parfum
    Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens

Everyone, I have found my ultimate Lavender!

Tom Ford Lavender Palm.
    100% pure lavender. Absolutely amazing.

I bought a bottle at Neimans today. WAY too expensive. But worth it.

L'occitane Eau L'occitan!

BulgarianLavenderEDT200.jpg
    Bulgarian Lavender EDT

Edt made with Bulgarian Lavender essential oil. 2oz (60ml) $21.00

Saint. Charles Shave makes some nice frags
    If you like lavender and want only lavender this is really nice.

- - - Updated - - -

lavenderedt.jpg
    Lavender Eau De Toilette, a classic crisp, clean, Lavender floral. 2 oz – 60 ml. $14.00
    They also have this. At these prices its a pretty safe blind buy.

treeman5823

Calder Island Lavender, Caron's Pour Une Homme, A Taste of Heaven, and Jicky are some of the best lavenders you can buy.

I haven't tried it, but Caldey Island Lavender is basically lavender and some alcohol in a bottle.

You won't be disappointed:

Got a sample on this yesterday and really enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    You won't be disappointed:

Lots of suggestions for fragrances with all kinds of other things going on. I know how you feel I went on the same journey. Lavender just does not last, it's way too volitile, and most of what you will be smelling is the other notes. Caron goes really sweet vanilla really fast, Gris Clair goes sweet as well, Jicky is lavender creme-brulee, Czech and Speake is probably the best of the lavender heavy fragrances with other notes, at least it's dry. I'd suggest staying with cheap stuff like Agua Lavanda-Puig, Aneja Lavanda, Caldey Island Lavender, Taylor of Old Bond St-Lavender Water, Yardley Lavender, St. Charles Shave-Lavender, etc., probably more what you are looking for, mostly just refreshing dry lavender soliflores...buy a big plastic jug of Agua Lavanda Puig and use it with abandon.