Code of Conduct

Default How different is the new Rive Gauche?

RG is either no1 or no2 in my lineup of favs so when I found out a new bottle came out with different juice was disconcerted. How much different is the new one?

Default Re: How different is the new Rive Gauche?

Personally don't detect that much of a difference. More discerning noses might feel different.

Smells alike to me.

Anyone else able to vouch for the new forumulation? I really hope its the same.

Did YSL give an official statement on whether its different chemically? Do houses ever do that with "rumored re formulas?"

Some say its not as potent but it could be part of the hype. Personally, I don't know.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a backup in the can and i hate to say that it isn't the exact scent as my 1st can. It starts off slightly woody before the barbershop kicks in and it isn't as "bright" or loud though it seems to last at least as long as the original. It is a really good scent but had i gotten my 2nd can 1st i don't think i would be quite the fan i am. So yeah i'm pretty sure any reformulation started before they got rid of the can.

Quote Originally Posted by Odorloader View Post
    I just bought a backup in the can and i hate to say that it isn't the exact scent as my 1st can. It starts off slightly woody before the barbershop kicks in and it isn't as "bright" or loud though it seems to last at least as long as the original. It is a really good scent but had i gotten my 2nd can 1st i don't think i would be quite the fan i am. So yeah i'm pretty sure any reformulation started before they got rid of the can.
    Bummer

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

It's watered down - the two versions are superficially similar and the reformulated juice is still clearly recognisable as RG. However, projection is comparitively muted and longevity seems sub-par too. Anyone doing a side-by-side comparison (as I did) should notice the difference. Those approaching the new version having not experienced the tin can should be perfectly satisfied, previous afficianados may feel slightly short-changed.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 2nd March 2013 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    It's watered down - the two versions are superficially similar and the reformulated juice is still clearly recognisable as RG. However, projection is comparitively muted and longevity seems sub-par too. Anyone doing a side-by-side comparison (as I did) should notice the difference. Those approaching the new version having not experienced the tin can should be perfectly satisfied, previous afficianados may feel slightly short-changed.
    Wow this is a tragedy.

I wonder why they would even have to change the juice when they change bottle...It seems like two completely separate productions or intents.
    Last edited by Pappy; 2nd March 2013 at 06:31 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odorloader View Post
    Did you do your comparison blind?

Post Thanks / Like

Was it reformulated while it was still packaged in the tin can?
    I bought a tin can version from a mall kiosk about a year or so ago, and the longevity on this was fairly short lived. I remember the tester at a Sephora at the time was the total opposite, smelled like a 70s powerhouse, almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
    Was it reformulated while it was still packaged in the tin can?
    I bought a tin can version from a mall kiosk about a year or so ago, and the longevity on this was fairly short lived. I remember the tester at a Sephora at the time was the total opposite, smelled like a 70s powerhouse, almost.
    The tin can I got in 2011 was remarkably long lasting. I sprayed at 7am once then got a compliment at midnight at a bar. I didn't reapply nor could I smell it on me myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Until recently, I had the version in the can, and didn't think the longevity was anything to write home about.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Until recently, I had the version in the can, and didn't think the longevity was anything to write home about.
    The can or bottle version?

RG is notorious for olfactory fatigue. Many people cannot smell it on themselves, but it will last into 24 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

I had never smelled Rive Gauche before this past Saturday. I got the one in the Tin. Well, it's freakin' great! I absolutely loved it at first spray, and all through the evening. Its so easy to enjoy; fresh, crisp, masculine and classy. Sprayed it on at about 5pm and it was still so obvious the next morning on my skin. Today, it has lasted all day and still into this evening, zero issues with longevity/ projection for me (thank you God)

I cant really explain it, I have about 45 different frags currently and my wife has never comented about a scent as much as this. She didn't mention it once or twice, but frequently the past three days. Decided to wear it to work today and numerous coworkers and even the administrator was complimenting it. So of course, with the talk of it becoming unavailable in the tin, I decided to spend another $33 bucks on another 4.2 while the getting is good. As far as the new version, dunno. I'm stoked about getting this and thanks to all who have recommended it numerous threads!

As I mentioned before, I finished my 2003/2004 bottle of Rive Gauche and recently purchased another tin can bottle. I just wanted to mention this, because I know there's some hardcore Rive Gauche fans out there. But there's a way of differentiating between the older and newer tin can bottles by looking at the stamping on the back. Could be the aging process, but my older can smells a lot better and lasts longer in my opinion than the new can I just picked up.

Older Tin Can Bottles
    Yves Saint Laurent
    Parfums
    28/34, bd dy Parc
    92521 NEUILLY Cedex France
    PARIS - MADE IN FRANCE

Newer Tin Can Bottles
    Yves Saint Laurent
    B.R.I 92521 NEUILLY CEDEX
    MADE IN FRANCE
    Last edited by nsamadi; 5th March 2013 at 03:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    As I mentioned before, I finished my 2003/2004 bottle of Rive Gauche and recently purchased another tin can bottle. I just wanted to mention this, because I know there's some hardcore Rive Gauche fans out there. But there's a way of differentiating between older and newer tin can bottle with the stamping on the back of the bottle. Could be the aging process, but my older can smells a lot better and lasts longer in my opinion then the new can I just picked up.

Older Tin Can Bottles
    Yves Saint Laurent
    Parfums
    28/34, bd dy Parc
    PARIS - MADE IN FRANCE

Newer Tin Can Bottles
    Yves Saint Laurent
    MADE IN FRANCE
    I have the newer tin and I think it's fantastic. I've never tried the older tin, but do you think a fragrance will/can change as it ages? If yes, in what ways?

Post Thanks / Like

@nsamadi Thanks for the info. I have a 2.5 oz / 75 ml tin can, that I recently purchased from FragranceX, and it has the "28/34..." address stamped on the back, and it lasts 14+ hours on my skin. It's borderline loud for the first hour or two. But, after that the rest is moderate projection throughout. I've been wearing it in the office once a week, and its middle to drydown stages are a head-turner.

P.S. I know I could've bought a 4.2 oz tin can for only $6 more. But, I realized that it must be a hot seller -- therefore, FragranceX would have newer batches, and I realized that I would have better chances of receiving an older batch with the 2.5 oz; and I did.

Post Thanks / Like

You can probably buy 3 cans for the price of a new bottle,, so just stock up for life and you will never have to worry about the reform.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    I have the newer tin and I think it's fantastic. I've never tried the older tin, but do you think a fragrance will/can change as it ages? If yes, in what ways?
    I just mentioned it because I remember when I first purchased my older bottle of Rive Gauche, it was a lot fresher and spicier. I remember it had a lot more clove. But as my bottle aged (now a decade old), those notes started to dissipate. It almost felt like my old bottle went straight into the drydown. Regardless, my new tin can, which I purchased 3 weeks ago is still solid and I like it, but it might just be my nose getting used to my new bottle, but I find it not as long lasting as my older bottle. But take that with a grain of salt. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    You can probably buy 3 cans for the price of a new bottle,, so just stock up for life and you will never have to worry about the reform.
    It's kinda sad the good frags get reformed. It's like if somebody watered down the Sistine Chapel or Citizen Kane. RG was a fragrance that needed to go unchanged

/rant

The vintage had very prominent star anise and the current doesn't seem to feature it.

Post Thanks / Like

Still working on the same bottle I've had for 9 years now. The dry down of this one is so good. I am inspired to wear it tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Still working on the same bottle I've had for 9 years now. The dry down of this one is so good. I am inspired to wear it tomorrow!
    I will do the same. It's been a few weeks since I've worn it.

UPDATE: Wearing this today and loving it. One of my wife's absolute faves on me. Turns out my 4.2 OZ can is the vintage model with PARIS - FRANCE on the label. Smells great.
    Last edited by ChuckW; 5th March 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's RGPH Day! Wearing my vintage today as well in the office and loving every whiff of it.
    Last edited by NewHaarlem; 5th March 2013 at 04:37 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    UPDATE: Wearing this today and loving it. One of my wife's absolute faves on me. Turns out my 4.2 OZ can is the vintage model with PARIS - FRANCE on the label. Smells great.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    It's RGPH Day! Wearing my vintage today as well in the office and loving every whiff of it.

Let's make it a hat-trick - I'll join you for the evening

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Let's make it a hat-trick - I'll join you for the evening
    Ditto

Post Thanks / Like

We're some fine smelling fellows!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    As I mentioned before, I finished my 2003/2004 bottle of Rive Gauche and recently purchased another tin can bottle. I just wanted to mention this, because I know there's some hardcore Rive Gauche fans out there. But there's a way of differentiating between the older and newer tin can bottles by looking at the stamping on the back. Could be the aging process, but my older can smells a lot better and lasts longer in my opinion than the new can I just picked up.

Older Tin Can Bottles
    Yves Saint Laurent
    Parfums
    28/34, bd dy Parc
    PARIS - MADE IN FRANCE

Newer Tin Can Bottles
    Yves Saint Laurent
    MADE IN FRANCE
    For your information, B.R.I (which means Beauté, Recherche et Industrie /Beauty, Research and Industry) is the new name of Yves Saint Laurent Parfums company, part of the L'Oreal Group.I am not sure that this change means a change in the juice itself. B.R.I manufactures products (not only fragrances) for YSL, Roger & Gallet,Georgio Armani, Lancôme, Helena Rubinstein, Viktor & Rolf, ...

Just received my bottle of Rive Gauche today. Will be wearing for tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Probably been asked before, but why are some bottles/boxes Brown and some Black? I have 2 x Black and was going to purchase another back up, but the image is Brown
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    Probably been asked before, but why are some bottles/boxes Brown and some Black? I have 2 x Black and was going to purchase another back up, but the image is Brown
    Is it not just the light in the photo?
    All the cans I have seen look almost black till you look at them closely, then you see they are really very dark brown.
    By the way I don't think the new version is a disaster at all, it seemed slightly creamier to me, though I am now going to have to do a side by side testing..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    I had never smelled Rive Gauche before this past Saturday. I got the one in the Tin. Well, it's freakin' great! I absolutely loved it at first spray, and all through the evening. Its so easy to enjoy; fresh, crisp, masculine and classy. Sprayed it on at about 5pm and it was still so obvious the next morning on my skin. Today, it has lasted all day and still into this evening, zero issues with longevity/ projection for me (thank you God)

I cant really explain it, I have about 45 different frags currently and my wife has never comented about a scent as much as this. She didn't mention it once or twice, but frequently the past three days. Decided to wear it to work today and numerous coworkers and even the administrator was complimenting it. So of course, with the talk of it becoming unavailable in the tin, I decided to spend another $33 bucks on another 4.2 while the getting is good. As far as the new version, dunno. I'm stoked about getting this and thanks to all who have recommended it numerous threads!
    Where did you order your new can from?

my tin can bottle is pretty damn good and long lasting. But when i first 'met' it, a early tester from 2000's i just think it was smookier. I get more green in the new one and this used to annoy me as a shit odor that many people used to talk about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Is it not just the light in the photo?
    All the cans I have seen look almost black till you look at them closely, then you see they are really very dark brown.
    By the way I don't think the new version is a disaster at all, it seemed slightly creamier to me, though I am now going to have to do a side by side testing..
    Hi Mate,

The one I am looking at buying is the same light brown that is in the image in post #29. My 2 bottles are so Brown that they are almost Black. as per this pic......rg.jpg
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    Hi Mate,

The one I am looking at buying is the same light brown that is in the image in post #29. My 2 bottles are so Brown that they are almost Black. as per this pic......rg.jpg
    All the bottles I have seen are the same as in this photo, very dark brown.
    I could be wrong but I believe the bottles look lighter in the photo higher up the thread because of lighting in the photo, I often notice that items on ebay look weird colours in their photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    All the bottles I have seen are the same as in this photo, very dark brown.
    I could be wrong but I believe the bottles look lighter in the photo higher up the thread because of lighting in the photo, I often notice that items on ebay look weird colours in their photos.
    Cool - thanks mate
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven