Code of Conduct

Default In search of a breezy, green, tropical perfume?

So I kind of have an obsession with tropical fragrances (authentic ones that actually remind me of being in the tropics, not fruity florals) and while I've found a lot of white florals and beachy fragrances that I love, I want one that smells like tropical leaves and trees at night, when the air is cooler but still quite humid. I'm looking for notes such as palm leaf, banana leaf, coconut (but a raw, milky coconut, nothing sugary), some woodsy notes, and maybe even a touch of marine notes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: In search of a breezy, green, tropical perfume?

Philosykos by Diptyque is mediterranean rather than tropical but it has lovely fig leaf top notes and soft milky heart notes, which many people get as coconutty. The base notes feature cedar. It's probably not exactly what you're looking for but worth a try. L'Artisan Parfumeur Premier Figuier is really similar but somewhat greener and sharper.

I'm interested to see other suggestions.

Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes, thecapn!

l highly recommend Maui by MCMC Fragrances. You can get a sample from lndiescents.com (not affiliated).
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

JLO's Deseo (women's version) has all of what you're looking for...except for the sugar free aspect. You might be able to look past the sweetness though, because its not exactly gourmand and it has so many other fascinating aspects going on.
    Give it a try, its really quite evocative of a looming thunderstorm in a tropical garden. Big green leafy plants, damp soil, sea breeze, green coconut (not at all sweet or edible) and the crackling, slightly metallic electricity of a heavy thunderstorm approaching. Instant vacation.

Not exactly what you asked for, but you can't explore this field without knowing Sous le Vent.

If you feel like getting lost in the rain forest, among rotting trees, damp earth and luxurious white flowers you should give a chance to L'Artisan Fleur de Liane!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Blog Entries

I also thought of L'Artisan Premier Figuier. Coconut, fig, sandalwood, not sweet...very nice.

Welcome to Basenotes, by the way.

+1 Fleur de Liane. This was my first thought, too.

Concerning Premier Figuier I find the extrème version softer, more fruity and more woody, the normal version is more smokey and bitter-green to me.

Also fig but more beach in it: Bois Naufragé by Parfumérie Générale.

You could also try Ichnusa by Profumum Roma.

(What a pity you didn't ask for fig scent recommendations ;-)

+ 1 on FLeur de Liane too, but it has a distinct melon note. Worth mentioning that it's on the chopping block to be discontinued.

I think Premier Figurier is an excellent suggestion too. Very tropical, natural, and non suffocating. My husband and I went to Costa Rica last year and hiked in the rainforest. I think both Fleur de Liane and Premier Figurier capture that atmosphere well.

Welcome!

The not so expensive Cacharel Eden was marketed with a tropical forest imagery and young women and men emerging from tropical lagoons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v...ture=endscreen

It is indeed striking, though to my nose it's more a tropical swamp than a forest, with notes of vegetation in various stages of decomposition, the wet-wool atmosphere of humid air and bacteria at work, and what not. That said, it has its estimators, so if you happen near a tester, you can try it.

More pleasant, and expensive, I like Manoumalia, a luscious, warm floral supposedly inspired by pacific ocean flowers. No marine note here, though, luckily. (I don't like marine notes at all - the only one I can almost stand is Lys mediterranee. Likely something you want to try, but it recalls more dry mediterranean beaches than tropical ones)

cacio

I'd suggest Cote d'Amore LaP - salty-green(pine)-citrus-woody, very gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by thecapn View Post
    So I kind of have an obsession with tropical fragrances (authentic ones that actually remind me of being in the tropics, not fruity florals) and while I've found a lot of white florals and beachy fragrances that I love, I want one that smells like tropical leaves and trees at night, when the air is cooler but still quite humid. I'm looking for notes such as palm leaf, banana leaf, coconut (but a raw, milky coconut, nothing sugary), some woodsy notes, and maybe even a touch of marine notes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Donna Karen Gold fits the bill for me - I get lilly and banana leaf and also a marine note from salty ambergris. The EdP is the best concentration - it can be picked up for a song.