Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Clinique’s Skin Care For Men

First some history I have very oily skin and get breakouts very easily. I do go to the dermatologist when I get my breakouts and most of the time have to use antibiotics to clear them up. I am trying to get something to help with my oily skin with leads to my breakouts. I pick up Clinique’s soap bar and Clinique's 3.5 Scruffing Lotion for oily skin. My question is Clinique’s recommends a lotion as the final step of this 3 step process. Being that I have really oily skin do I need a lotion? Also is anything else I should pick up from the product line?
    Smelling Good on a Budget!

Default Re: Clinique’s Skin Care For Men

I'm sorry I can't help you with the 3 step program I've never tried it. My thoughts would be yes pick up the lotion as you don't want to try out your skin as your skin would then produce more oil and that's not what you want.

As for other products their "Post-Shave Soother Anti-Blemish Formula" is really good it's what I use after shaving.

Good luck!
    What I've Been Wearing:

I second L'enfer, you do still need to moisturize the skin a bit, especially after exfoliating. Make sure the lotion you use is for oily skins, though.

As for exfoliation (step 2), I am not familiar with this particular product. I use exfoliating creams after waxing to avoid ingrown hair. I like the one based on acids (like glycolic acid or lactic acid) rather than the scrubs. Exfoliating daily can be quite harsh, even for an oily skin, so experiment with the right power of the exfoliator. May be you will want to start with the gentler one and then go up if you see it's not enough. Or even use two different ones on different parts of the face, as appropriate. Also, if you shave daily, you want to time it right - exfoliating after shaving can hurt a lot.

I tend to get puffy eyes in the morning, so I got the Clinique eye cream, though I don't think it's in the for men line.

cacio

I forgot to mention if you like Clinique then their exfoliating scrub is quite nice and it's reasonably priced. A little goes a long way.

What I've Been Wearing:

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post
    I'm sorry I can't help you with the 3 step program I've never tried it. My thoughts would be yes pick up the lotion as you don't want to try out your skin as your skin would then produce more oil and that's not what you want.

As for other products their "Post-Shave Soother Anti-Blemish Formula" is really good it's what I use after shaving.

Good luck!
    Thank you have been reading about Post-Shave Soother and the M Gel-Lotion. Both have gotten great reviews. I am thinking about going with an electronic razor also and I wonder if they would make a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I second L'enfer, you do still need to moisturize the skin a bit, especially after exfoliating. Make sure the lotion you use is for oily skins, though.

As for exfoliation (step 2), I am not familiar with this particular product. I use exfoliating creams after waxing to avoid ingrown hair. I like the one based on acids (like glycolic acid or lactic acid) rather than the scrubs. Exfoliating daily can be quite harsh, even for an oily skin, so experiment with the right power of the exfoliator. May be you will want to start with the gentler one and then go up if you see it's not enough. Or even use two different ones on different parts of the face, as appropriate. Also, if you shave daily, you want to time it right - exfoliating after shaving can hurt a lot.

I tend to get puffy eyes in the morning, so I got the Clinique eye cream, though I don't think it's in the for men line.

cacio
    Thank you for the tips.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention if you like Clinique then their exfoliating scrub is quite nice and it's reasonably priced. A little goes a long way.

I had the exfoliating scrub in my hand and put it back I just didn't know if that would add to my oil problem.

- - - Updated - - -

I had the exfoliating scrub in my hand and put it back I just didn't know if that would add to my oil problem.
    Smelling Good on a Budget!

The M gel lotion is very good, the non-greasy alternative to the standard moisturiser.

I have very oily face. My first skincare products years and years ago before I knew anything about skincare were th exact same products you got. Now I know better. Do not use soap in bar form regardless of brand. The thing that makes the soap solid is going to clog your pores. Do not use any of their clarifying lotion, they are full of alcohol. Avoid any skincare products with alcohol, sd alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, yellow corn alcohol. The alcohol will strip your skin causing your face to produce even more oil hours later. Do not use any cleansers that make your face feels squeaky clean. Again it will cause you to produce more oil. You only need moisturizer on areas of your face that feels dry. If you are oily all over, you do not need moisturizer. If you insist, get Clinique m gel instead of the lotion. The lotion is for dry skin while the gel is for oily skin. Do not use face scrub, it aggravates pimple. Use salicylic acid exfoliators instead.

Read this:
    http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/oily-skin/

I second that. Avoid products with alcohol. Find a moisturizer (lotions are usually lighter) that has a matte finish. Also find a lotion with broad spectrum SPF production for day. Also, don't exfoliate daily but rather 2-3 days a week, especially if it's irritating your skin or causing excess oil production. I've never had any issues with face scrubs but that is usually something assessed on a skin-by-skin basis. Find products with salycylic acid to help clear your pores. Both Menscience and Jack Black have excellent products to combat specific problems such as this. However both are a bit on the pricey side.
    Last edited by Moto04; 7th May 2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Clarification