Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Database Errors and very slow forum

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    It gets extremely frustrating when you see an error and a bug on your page, that is a 5 minute fix, and it goes on all weekend, or all week, for that matter.
    Maybe we should think of it as part of the Basenotes charm... Like the shifter on a Ferrari or the batch variations of Aventus...

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Maybe we should think of it as part of the Basenotes charm... Like the shifter on a Ferrari or the batch variations of Aventus...
    I consider it one step past charm since people pay for the plus membership. Cant think of the word for it....

Yes, I have come to think of these issues as something akin to the A*Men/B*Men rubber type outer coating on the bottles. LOL.

I guess Basenotes is what it is
    No matter what has been said, and lots of drama in the past will change this. Basically, we just have to deal with it. Both you and I see this as an opportunity, of sorts. Unfortunately I dont have the time for another project of this scale.

Once the platform and interface changes, someday, will we call this Vintage Basenotes ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Once the platform and interface changes, someday, will we call this Vintage Basenotes ?
    You know that was funny. And I am certain this thread will be removed.

Basenotes Plus

@ hedonist222 - Unfortunately, that's part of the reason my posts are often short/hurried/bit confused & edited.
    If trying to post a longer one, it may help to 'copy' the text from time to time - then you can paste it back, presuming your browser doesn't crash. There is an 'autosave' feature that kicks in occasionally.

When i joined, it was slow as molasses and hard to navigate. I gave up. Came back a few years later, slightly different look, still slow as molasses.

But my friends are here.

Its kind of like the corner pub. Its dirty, lousy service, watered down drinks...But its always a good time somehow.

Basenotes Plus

Well said, aphexacid

Fragrantica just doesn't have the quality forums. I have been an active user here for a year. The worst thing is when I sit down to put a bunch of reviews into the database. half way through the site freezes up and I am stuck smelling my arm and jotting stuff down on scrap paper. I have downloaded my entire wardrobe and "have tried list" as well as all of my 200+ reviews b/c I just know one day it will crash forever...I also hate looking like a putz with double posts b/c the site posts something twice...

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    @ hedonist222 - Unfortunately, that's part of the reason my posts are often short/hurried/bit confused & edited.
    If trying to post a longer one, it may help to 'copy' the text from time to time - then you can paste it back, presuming your browser doesn't crash. There is an 'autosave' feature that kicks in occasionally.
    Exactly, I do the same, whenever I fear that the connection will screw up a post, I copy the text before hitting the "reply" button.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

It was better when the wardrobe and directory was offline. As much as I like Basenotes it's probably the most problematic website I've come across. Needs a complete overhaul, but of course that takes money and time.

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

I don't even attempt to post a short comment here without first doing a select-all/copy of whatever I typed.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Plus

Well, that works, for now

Have u looked at the numbers of viewers & unregistered 'visitors', against the number of subscribers....?

The fact that this thread is still here is testament enough.

Banned

I dont know what you guys are talking about. I am on the site for hours everyday and I have never experienced any down time. and its blazing fast.

not!

Yes, it's plain frustrating. In answer to some of the posts.

The tech side is being outsourced, but it's not ready yet. It is getting there though.

I currently have my host and another outside person looking into it, and a lot of it involved switching things off, and seeing if it helps, so it's a bit of a long drawn out process.

The server can sometimes run for hours with no problem, even at the busiest times of day, so it's not necessarily the amount of people on the boards, there is probably something in a script that causes a big intense hit server, and finding that will solve the problem. There's lots of GB's of log files to look through to find a pattern.

One thing I'm trying at the moment is to split the older men's forum posts into an archive forum to see if that has any effect.

All I can do is apologise (lots), and let you know that it's something that's being worked on, and there will be light at the end of the crashy tunnel. ETA as soon as I know...
    Currently wearing: Gardénia by Chanel

Thank you for your time and effort.

Basenotes Plus

Good luck & thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    One thing I'm trying at the moment is to split the older men's forum posts into an archive forum to see if that has any effect.
    Yeah I don't think it did....
    Currently wearing: Gardénia by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yeah I don't think it did....
    Oh, please don't kill the option of posting on old threads, sometimes it's very convenient to bring an old thread back to life.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I just bide my time on Scented Salamander or Now Smell This until it's working again (after reporting to Grant). Maybe Bill Gates could help -- he's very philanthropic nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I just bide my time on Scented Salamander or Now Smell This until it's working again (after reporting to Grant). Maybe Bill Gates could help -- he's very philanthropic nowadays.
    No, this site doesn't use Microsoft products - it uses freeware stuff - PHP / MySQL, and the forum is vBulletin... Had it been built on a Microsoft platform, it probably wouldn't be so buggy, and thus wouldn't need his help...

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the update.