Code of Conduct

Default No such thing as "Christian Dior"

Aw crap. I hate it when I smell something yummy and can't find it again. I went to the Natural History Museum in L.A. this week with the kiddo cuz he wanted to see the dinosaurs (been watching a LOT of "Peppa Pig" lately, and right outside the Gem and Mineral display, there was a really yummy smell. I narrowed it down to one guy. Husband sighed with exasperation when I asked him what he was wearing. He said, "Christian Dior Vintage." I did not have time to engage in further conversation, cuz we had to get gifts for my cousins' kids and then leave. So I am really disappointed to find there is no fragrance by such a name, and that he had merely teased me with a fragrance house.

It was vanilla-based and had excellent projection cuz he made the entire gift shop smell RILLY RILLY GOOD.

Any guesses as to what it was?
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Default Re: No such thing as "Christian Dior"

Could have been Chanel vintage

If you rilly wanted to find out you could have done cuz all the information you want is on Basenotes Fragrance Directory. Look up fragrances by "Christian Dior" and you will find :- Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense, Dior Homme Cologne and Dior Homme Sport. The man you spoke to probably meant one of those; possibly the original Dior Homme; and by "vintage" he meant the original formula.

I thought Dior Homme was supposed to smell like flowers or lipstick. But then the vanilla would explain why Le Grand Duc likes it. Thanks, Dave!
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Maybe it was Dune.

Vintage dior homme intense? Must have been a basenoter who did not want to give up his exclusive scent for the masses!

I think he meant Dior Homme Intense (Vintage formulation) as was said before.

Sounds like Hypnotic Poison based on the vanilla and it smelling up the whole place, as this fragrance has huge projection. I don't know any Dior frags for men that are vanilla dominated. Maybe he just made up the name real quick because he didn't want you to know he was wearing a woman's fragrance?
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Yes it's more likely a random person would be wearing either Dior Homme or Hypnotic Poison. A fraghead would be wearing DHI (at least in US where it is less available). Since he said "vintage", it makes me think he was a fraghead.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I'm afraid you've hit a dead end. It could be any one of hundreds of fragrances with vanilla. It may not even be a Dior.

I would go with Dior Homme Intense (vintage or reformulated).

Could have been almost anything.

Overcome By Fumes

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Sounds like Hypnotic Poison based on the vanilla and it smelling up the whole place, as this fragrance has huge projection. I don't know any Dior frags for men that are vanilla dominated. Maybe he just made up the name real quick because he didn't want you to know he was wearing a woman's fragrance?
    This makes the most sense to me. I can't imagine anyone, even a fragrance nut referring to any version of Dior Homme, in a random public setting, as Christian Dior Vintage. I mean, that would just be snotty, and the scent just doesn't reek of "yummy vanilla". I'm thrown off by the reference to "husband" in the original question--whose husband?! The rest of the question made it sound like this person was a total stranger, but if it is the husband of someone you know, (your husband!?), then track him down and ask him again. It does seem odd to call a fragrance Vintage in a random public setting unless that is the name of the fragrance, but none of the fragrances named that, eg John Varvatos, smell much like yummy vanilla.

Hypnotic Poison is one of the best vanillas and projects well and is easily found. Worth sampling to see if its the one he was wearing.

I am pretty sure it wasn't Hypnotic Poison, cuz I have two bottles of it. I don't think Hypnotic Poison is all that old either. Can you call something that is <25 yrs. old "vintage"? I guess you could, cuz Halston Couture is sometimes called vintage even though probably only one batch was ever made in 1988.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    This makes the most sense to me. I can't imagine anyone, even a fragrance nut referring to any version of Dior Homme, in a random public setting, as Christian Dior Vintage. I mean, that would just be snotty, and the scent just doesn't reek of "yummy vanilla". I'm thrown off by the reference to "husband" in the original question--whose husband?! The rest of the question made it sound like this person was a total stranger, but if it is the husband of someone you know, (your husband!?), then track him down and ask him again. It does seem odd to call a fragrance Vintage in a random public setting unless that is the name of the fragrance, but none of the fragrances named that, eg John Varvatos, smell much like yummy vanilla.
    Yeah, I wrote that sentence poorly. What I should have said was, "Husband sighed with exasperation as I asked yet another perfect stranger what he was wearing." You'd think he'd be used to it by now.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I'll just hafta track down some vintage Dior Homme and test it to see, cuz sadly, I won't have an opportunity to stop by the Natural History Museum again til July. If anyone *else* wants to ask him, he was working at the gift shop there.

Also the Endeavor is on display right next door. Got to talk to one of the guys who worked on its assembly! Very nice time at this Exposition Park!
    Last edited by Aiona; 24th February 2013 at 03:02 AM.

Hypnotic Poison or Dior Homme/Dior Home Intense

or he might got a fakie which actually labeled

"Christian Dior Vintage"
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Anglique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

But tbh I cant see it DH or DHI. I don't get vanilla from them.

I get lots of vanilla from DHI.

Overcome By Fumes

How could I forget Dior Addict? That's a freakin vanilla explosion, and seems a bit more like something a guy might wear than hypnotic poison.

Well, I'll be honest. I was kinda hopin he was a Basenoter, and I could smoke him out. And now to make sure this thread devolves into a Creed thread, I will say this: It did not smell like Vanisia.

I'm pretty sure he meant Dior Homme Intense (Vintage/Pre-Reforumlation). Black box, smoke colored bottle with a silver collar.

I've worn this many times and I always get told I smell like the most delicious vanilla. Even worn modestly, it projects like a monster. Usually one spritz behind each ear and I'm good for ten hours. This is what you should search out...

Default Re: No such thing as &quot;Christian Dior&quot;

Did an advanced search at the Fragrance Directory and put House to Dior and in Notes field vanilla.
    This was what i got (i expect he didn't use a woman's fragrance. If womens frags are in, then the search gives 19 fragrances):

Eau Noire Cologne
    by Christian Dior (2004)
    57 Reviews
    Escale aux Marquises
    by Christian Dior (2010)
    1 Review
    Fahrenheit 32
    by Christian Dior (2007)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by john916 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he meant Dior Homme Intense (Vintage/Pre-Reforumlation). Black box, smoke colored bottle with a silver collar.

I've worn this many times and I always get told I smell like the most delicious vanilla. Even worn modestly, it projects like a monster. Usually one spritz behind each ear and I'm good for ten hours. This is what you should search out...
    I agree that it could well be vintage DHI. It's a cocoa-vanilla bomb, awesome sillage and projection.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Has to be Dior Homme Intense or Dior Homme. Both project heavy vanilla.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

read this post, was this you? LOL

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/212...=1#post2855389
    Bottles for Swap:

Givenchy Pour Homme 1.7oz(97% full)
    CK Obsession Night 1.7oz(97% full)
    Cerruti 1881 1.7oz(50% full)
    Un Jardin Sur De Nil(95% full)

Looking for:

Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Polo Blue
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Dolce and Gabbana The One

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post

wowwww it's a small world after all
    1) Chergui (Serge Lutens)
    2) Dior Homme Intense
    3) Aventus (Creed)
    4) Allure Homme Sport (Chanel)
    5) La Nuit De l'Homme (YSL)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    Aw crap. I hate it when I smell something yummy and can't find it again. I went to the Natural History Museum in L.A. this week with the kiddo cuz he wanted to see the dinosaurs (been watching a LOT of "Peppa Pig" lately, and right outside the Gem and Mineral display, there was a really yummy smell. I narrowed it down to one guy. Husband sighed with exasperation when I asked him what he was wearing. He said, "Christian Dior Vintage." I did not have time to engage in further conversation, cuz we had to get gifts for my cousins' kids and then leave. So I am really disappointed to find there is no fragrance by such a name, and that he had merely teased me with a fragrance house.

It was vanilla-based and had excellent projection cuz he made the entire gift shop smell RILLY RILLY GOOD.

Any guesses as to what it was?
    I have 2 strong hunches.
    Please go with me on these hunches, I am sure I am right !!!
    .....track down and try Eau Noire from Christian Dior, (this is harder to find because it's generally only sold in the Dior Boutiques, so you will have to visit a major city)
    Hunch no 2 is to try Eau Sauvage (PARFUM) (A RECENT RELEASE)
    Admittedly neither of these fragrances are vintage....but perhaps the guy just said that to impress....or was nervous/embaressed by the question, etc.,
    Both Eau Noire and the new Eau Sauvage (perfume) have enormous projection and tonnes of vanilla ~ which is why I think it could well be one of these two.
    Let us all know if/when you do find out what it was !!
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

That is pretty funny ! So Cameron's vintage Dior Homme Intense is the answer
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

HAHAHA!!! OMG that is so great! Small world!

Overcome By Fumes

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post
    Clever, but posted several hours after posting in this area, obviously kidding.

I think it had to be an older frag. He said vintage PLUS he also said Christian along with Dior. So could it be a frag from the line before Christian was dropped from the house name? I don't remember what year that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Clever, but posted several hours after posting in this area, obviously kidding.
    Correct. That was me...was just a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    I thought Dior Homme was supposed to smell like flowers or lipstick. But then the vanilla would explain why Le Grand Duc likes it. Thanks, Dave!
    It only smells like "lipstick" when you shove it up your nose. On the other hand, smelling its sillage (just like you smelled it on that person), you would smell its true composition -- mostly iris, amber, and cocoa.

Since you said that it had excellent projection, I would say it was vintage Dior Homme EDT.

Anyone who said "vintage" Dior is a fragrance guy. And a fragrance guy that said he was wearing vintage Dior, without using the specific word "intense," was likely referring to Dior Homme.

So, like NewHaarlem and others, my vote goes to vintage Dior Homme. And yes, it absolutely has vanilla, and depending on the guy's skin chemistry the vanilla could have been pretty pronounced.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Correct. That was me...was just a joke!
    Ah, you got me

I think it has to be vintage Dior Homme Intense or vintage Dior Homme in any case. Both come across as smelling "vanilla" like ( I realize that vanilla may not be a note in it, but just how they come across as semi-edible gourmands). Both have also had a good amount of hype with regards to reformulations and the usage of the term vintage. The guy must read fragrance forums .
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    It only smells like "lipstick" when you shove it up your nose. On the other hand, smelling its sillage (just like you smelled it on that person), you would smell its true composition -- mostly iris, amber, and cocoa.

Since you said that it had excellent projection, I would say it was vintage Dior Homme EDT.
    Perhaps it was the cocoa I'm interpreting as vanilla. Now I'm wanting to get a hold of some just so I can tear it to pieces. Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense. Vintage. Definitely gonna hafta wait till after I get the bill from the piano restorer.

Also pretty sure it was Dior Homme. It seems be getting more and more popular, here in Brussels I am smelling it a lot (the original and the Intense).
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit