Code of Conduct

Default What is it about Azzaro PH that I hate?

I haven't smelled many fragrances but I tried Azzaro PH due to all the praise but it is sooo sharp and harsh. It doesn't go away either. Projection monster, 2 sprays on my wrist and I can't stop smelling it. I tried it multiple times and everytime I had to wash it out. The only time it smells remotely acceptable is when I'm showering it out.

and I know there is a lot of people that really can't stand Azzaro PH... So help me out, what is it about this scent that is making me gag? I mean, I have smelled some bad fragrances but they don't make me gag like this one. Is it a specific note? if so, what other "old school" scents has that feel? I had the same feeling with Grey Flannel, when I first sniffed it.

PS: This really isn't like a sarcastic bash thread or anything, I really want to know the note or note gruoping that is not working for me

I just want to know so I can avoid similar fragrances in the future.

Default Re: What is it about Azzaro PH that I hate?

Gotta be the anise, which it has in a big way.
    I didn't think the scent was bad, but the longevity and "powerhouse" status seemed questionable to me.
    I suspect the vintage stuff was much better than the current version, which I had.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

It could be the Anise note but only you can tell for sure, if you go to the fragrantica website and type in the name of the scent you will see a breakdown of all the notes. Maybe it will help in indentifying the particular notes that bother you.

I feel the same way about Azzaro PH...that sharp anise singes my nostrils.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Yeah, I think it is the anise. This note bothers a few folks.

I have no problems with this classic fragrance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Gotta be the anise, which it has in a big way.
    I didn't think the scent was bad, but the longevity and "powerhouse" status seemed questionable to me.
    I suspect the vintage stuff was much better than the current version, which I had.
    Exactly this. Word for word.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Its anise, a very popular in Chinese cooking
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Likewise. First time I spritzed Azarro on my arm, and took a sniff, the knee-slapper of a scene from Anchorman came immediately to mind.
    "It's a formidable scent....It stings the nostrils."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
    Likewise. First time I spritzed Azarro on my arm, and took a sniff, the knee-slapper of a scene from Anchorman came immediately to mind.
    "It's a formidable scent....It stings the nostrils."
    lol! yup, definitely what I thought when I first sniffed this.

My opinion is that APH has blending that is too "tight" for the strength and type of ingredients used. I now have several scents that are very similar but only APH has a particular kind of irritating quality, which I am assuming is what the OP is talking about. I'll have to wear it again one of these days to verify, since I haven't worn it in a long time. Try IL Lancetti or GrigioPerla and you'll know if this is the case. If you dislike both of these, then it may be the combination of notes, with anise being one of them.

Anise is killing a lot of frags for me. It started with L'instant (not as bad in LIDGE though), then Pure Leather, then Aqua Fahrenheit (yes, it's in there), and La Nuit Parfum version. There is something about it that turns me way off. I don't like mint either, so maybe there is a connection somewhere in there. Thanks for the heads up on Azzaro PH, another for me to dodge.

Is it the barbershop vibe that you have an aversion to? If so, you might want to avoid fragrances in the fougere genre. The "anise" theory is interesting, but I suspect that most likely it is a combination of notes(oakmoss-lavendar-anise) rather than a single note.

I don't know if its necessarily just the fougere genre. Like I've been to sephora and sniffed a lot of stuff and nothing gives me that headache like Azzaro ph.

The Fahrenheit reference is especially interesting because I sprayed it on a test strip earlier and immediately did not like it, though it doesn't smell that much like Azzaro but something in that is also not sitting well with me.

I don't dislike la nuit, though... But not that parfum version.

I bought a small bottle of it ($15) because everyone's always raving about it. In my opinion, it's just OK and definitely just another entry in the fougere category. Nothing special, seems pretty overrated.