Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fahrenheit: My thoughts on current formulation

Here is my review based on the current 2013 formulation:

"One of the best fragrances ever made. I first came to know Fahrenheit in the fall of 1991, when I was in high school. It was very fresh and unique and I continued to wear it through college and it remains in my collection at the top of my most discerning rotation arsenal.

It begins with slight petroleum note that many associate with the smell of gasoline. This is not overbearing and is crucial to yield a masculine component. It doesn't take long for the nose to recognize the fresh honeysuckle that is grounded by sandalwood. The styrax may lend to additional sweetness but alas, the isn't an overly sweet fragrance. It is masterfully balanced, so much so that its hard to contribute any one aspect of this to the magic that is Fahrenheit.

Whether you're sailing on a yacht with miffy, hanging at home or in the gym, or doing maniacal chores, Fahrenheit always knows how to play dressed up or dressed down. A fragrance that was conceived in 1988 is still relevant and necessary in today's market and it no way smells dated. Its perhaps the pinnacle of my fresh masculines; a classic that is here to stay. If you're wondering, the current formulation is just as divine now as it was then with longevity and sillage galore. Two very big thumbs up!"

I was clearly in the wrong when I smelled this a while back. I just bought a new bottle tonight and wow, its as glorious as it ever was compared to my 1990 bottle. The petroleum is just there enough to say something but is nicely blended and never out of character. I will never be without this and it is instantly among my top beloved. This stuff is amazing!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: Fahrenheit: My thoughts on current formulation

Good review. Fahrenheit is a true classic!

CologneFan85

Nasty stuff IMO

Yeah my newest bottle is better than my early to mid 2000's bottle.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Serious? Hopefully they improved it. Because I tried in 2012 and it was total shit. A synthetic leather bomb.

I really liked the 2010-2011 batch. 2012 was shit. I hope 13 is truly better.

I smelt a bottle that was total shit too. For whatever reason, my bottle is purely magnificent. Two sprays and I'm projecting like am opera singer lol

I enjoy all incarnations of this scent.

Scentologist: Excellent review. You're so right. I find it amazing how Fahrenheit manages to NOT smell dated. It's one thing to smell timeless, but it's another to still smell so modern twenty five years later.

Noir, you probably just got a bad bottle somehow. Either that, or you smelled it at a time when you just weren't into it. One of my all time favorite scents is Ungaro III, which I hated initially and put away, only to try it again months later and feel head over heels about the stuff. The 2012 bottles of Fahrenheit I've smelled are fantastic. I know a guy who wears it often. My Fahrenheit is a 2011 batch and I think it is fantastic too. I mean, really, could there even be a 2013 batch in stores already? I suppose it's possible, but I doubt it. And even if it existed, it would have likely been made with the 2012 season of ingredients.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Banned
    Blog Entries

I bought the bottle retail. I've tried it once every month for the past 8 months and it's still nasty. It's not the same juice I loved in 2011 (or 2010 if business wasnt booming).

LBI, keep in mind TOTALLY DIFFERENT BOTTLE DESIGN. The fact that so many changes could be made to the bottle and absolutely none to the juice inside, I am skeptical about.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I bought the bottle retail. I've tried it once every month for the past 8 months and it's still nasty. It's not the same juice I loved in 2011 (or 2010 if business wasnt booming).

LBI, keep in mind TOTALLY DIFFERENT BOTTLE DESIGN. The fact that so many changes could be made to the bottle and absolutely none to the juice inside, I am skeptical about.
    You keep saying that, but you describe my bottle to a T, and mine's a 2011.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I told you there was a possibility that the bottle was from 2010. Because maybe it didnt sell well in my area. But the "Fahrenheit Eau De Toilette by Christian Dior" is MILES better than "Fahrenheit by Dior"

EDT Fahrenheit was floral, sweet, fresh, grassy, with some petrol.

Fahrenheit 11-12 was a bergamot-leather bomb - nasty.

Well I'd like to get Fahrenheit. Where the heck should I purchase it from so I get a good bottle and the right year? This is confusing...

Don't worry. It's not really confusing. He got a bad bottle. Note the part where his 2012 may be as old as 2010 and have sat in some local store for a few years before he bought it. That's not a good sign.

In my opinion, the best way to be sure to get a fresh bottle of any fragrance is this: buy from a place that sells a lot of inventory. You'll probably get a better price too. Fragrancenet, for example, or a discount retailer like Walmart, Walgreens, Kmart, etc. Or, you could always buy from a local store, which has the added benefit that you can smell a tester first and, if the bottle you buy doesn't smell like that, you can return it.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    In my opinion, the best way to be sure to get a fresh bottle of any fragrance is this: buy from a place that sells a lot of inventory.
    Agree to the above...
    I bought mine in the end of 2012 & the juice was good as the ones I had b4, a classic men's frag, loved by women...

Don't worry. It's not really confusing. He got a bad bottle. Note the part where his 2012 may be as old as 2010 and have sat in some local store for a few years before he bought it. That's not a good sign.

In my opinion, the best way to be sure to get a fresh bottle of any fragrance is this: buy from a place that sells a lot of inventory. You'll probably get a better price too. Fragrancenet, for example, or a discount retailer like Walmart, Walgreens, Kmart, etc. Or, you could always buy from a local store, which has the added benefit that you can smell a tester first and, if the bottle you buy doesn't smell like that, you can return it.
    Thanks for the response. I had been looking at vintage ones on ebay, but honestly didn't want to go through the hassle of bidding and paying too much. I love dealing with fragrancenet anyway. I'll order from there.

The first few times I smelled Fahrenheit from a tester in Sephora, all I got was rubber and petroleum. Now, from the bottle of the current formulation I have, I get none of that, instead I get a rather sweet violet and what I presume to be honeysuckle.

I don't want to smell like an auto mechanic. TOO much gasoline.

Good review. And the current bottle is as good as the old ones.

I had a bottle from 2006, I bought at macys, it was just AMAZING. The drydown was great too. The 2012 version of it, sorry to say was very watered down and synthetic.

Fantastic fragrance and near scent perfection that for me ticks all the right boxes.

Basenotes Plus

In my opinion, the best way to be sure to get a fresh bottle of any fragrance is this: buy from a place that sells a lot of inventory. You'll probably get a better price too. Fragrancenet, for example, or a discount retailer like Walmart, Walgreens, Kmart, etc.
    I ordered a 1.7 oz bottle from walmart.com in late January. According to check cosmetic, it was manufactured in October 2011. It smells lovely.

One of my favorites. I haven't smelled a bad bottle of this yet. Maybe my nose isn't trained enough to pick up on the nuances that bother people, but this is an almost perfect scent.

I don't get as much honeysuckle and violet in the newer bottles. Also, the newer bottles seem to have more leather in the mid and base. I prefer the older versions, but I don't find the newer formulations drastically different. If were talking vintage then that's a totally different animal.

I have three bottles of Fahrenheit from three "generations": one from the mid-90s, one from around 2006, and a 30ml from 2012. Sadly the oldest one has gone a bit musty (I went years without storing it carefully), but the other two smell great. The difference I find in the newest bottle is that it is perhaps a bit less robust, creating that "watered down" quality some have mentioned. It still smells like Fahrenheit, though. Such a fantastic fragrance, whatever the incarnation.

I'm not sure what to think of all if this. From 1989-1992 I wore this off and on before my Cool Water phase. Never once in those years did I smell gasoline or petroleum. Just the violet, honeysuckle and a leather type smell. Every time I test it now I get 5 seconds of what I Loved before followed by strong, overwhelming gasoline. I doubt all if these are bad batches...or maybe they are. Nowhere near the original. It is really sad too because I loved it so much. I've tried the Aqua version and without the citrus it is closer but not even close complexity and strength wise. That's wonderful if people love this version with the gas but its not 1989-1992. Just isn't .
    Last edited by ToughCool; 4th March 2013 at 12:52 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Switch245 View Post
    The first few times I smelled Fahrenheit from a tester in Sephora, all I got was rubber and petroleum. Now, from the bottle of the current formulation I have, I get none of that, instead I get a rather sweet violet and what I presume to be honeysuckle.
    This was Exactly my experience as well. I smelled this at Sephora when I formed my initial impressions that the reform had went amuck. However, I recalled that the bottle was very warm to the touch as it sits under their lamps. I went back and decided to give it another go. I'm glad I did!

I have a 2012 bottle and it's probably the best scent I have ever smelt!

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I'm not sure what to think of all if this. From 1989-1992 I wore this off and on before my Cool Water phase. Never once in those years did I smell gasoline or petroleum. Just the violet, honeysuckle and a leather type smell. Every time I test it now I get 5 seconds of what I Loved before followed by strong, overwhelming gasoline. I doubt all if these are bad batches...or maybe they are. Nowhere near the original. It is really sad too because I lived it so much. I've tried the Aqua version and without the citrus it is closer but not even close complexity and strength wise. That's wonderful if people love this version with the gas but its not 1989-1992. Just isn't .
    I do agree that the "gas vibe" is not prominent c (1990), but I don't think that its presence affects the juice or the impression it has made on me. Although the new juice is slightly altered, its not significant to me and I still get to relive the glory of this masterpiece.

This is a great scent, however I just find myself reaching for it as often as I used to for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I do agree that the "gas vibe" is not prominent c (1990), but I don't think that its presence affects the juice or the impression it has made on me. Although the new juice is slightly altered, its not significant to me and I still get to relive the glory of this masterpiece.
    Lucky you Scentologist!! Wish that happened for me. Maybe that scent...gas.. affects me differently but it has been hard to wear for me. I wish it wasn't like that because I wore it consistently..with Lauder for Men, Herrera for Men(another that changed)...during that college time period. So unique.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Along with GIT/Cool Water, and a few others, Fahrenheit is one of the very few 1980's fragrances that is still relevant, and will continue to be for some time.

The newest formulation is wonderfully radiant, green, fresh, floral, and just sweet enough.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

The bottle design hasn't changed since around 2006!

But you are right, the 2012 version seems to be reformulated. It's kind of weak in comparison to the pre2012 formulation ... a bit watered down, a big disappointment in my eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my review based on the current 2013 formulation:
    Do you really have a bottle from 2013? The batch code should tell ... it should start with a 3 in this case.

It should however be the same formulation as the 2012 version, which I find very disappointing.

please help: just found a 1990 50ml (1.7oz) after shave bottle, at about 45$, it's worth the buy to smell the "vintage Fahrenheit"? it's almost 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by osoblanco View Post
    The bottle design hasn't changed since around 2006!
    Exactly.

But you are right, the 2012 version seems to be reformulated. It's kind of weak in comparison to the pre2012 formulation ... a bit watered down, a big disappointment in my eyes.
    Wow. My 2012 wears like a beast, particularly in terms of sillage. Man oh man, that stuff travels.

I can't help wondering how Fahrenheit ages. I think it's interesting how some people swear perfumes don't age if stored well, while others say perfumes age like wine, in some cases even improving. Some talk about how natural ingredients age faster than synthetic, and others talk about how top notes fade. There's a lot of misinformation on the topic. I think, if you have a bottle from 1990, it'll smell different today than it did in 1990. I also think anyone who smelled Fahrenheit - maybe even wore Fahrenheit - before they got seriously into collecting perfumes will interpret the smell differently today because you have a greater level of knowledge to judge against, which means the newer will be judged more harshly than memories of the old. As an example, I cite Polo Blue. There was a time when it was my signature scent. I loved the stuff. But if I smelled it today, I'd probably gag - not because it's been reformulated, though it'll certainly smell different to me - but because I've had so much experience with better scents.

A lot of reformulation talk is based on memories and old bottles, which makes it even harder to tell if there has been a real change or if it's a case of selective memory.

All I can say is, I have a brand new bottle and I wore 2 sprays of it when I went into the grocery store. A male employee followed my sillage around trying to get whiffs. At first I was freaked out as to why he was following so closely, but I caught him smelling and pretending to arbitrarily look at items on the shelf that aren't likely. I'll take that as an unspoken compliment.

Got a sample from Sephora and all I smell is gasoline. Not wearing it.

A lot of reformulation talk is based on memories and old bottles, which makes it even harder to tell if there has been a real change or if it's a case of selective memory.
    Absolutely! This forum is obsessed with reformulation talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Absolutely! This forum is obsessed with reformulation talk.
    The truth is that many original (or "vintage") bottles are still available, although difficult to find, and many of us can test all versions side-by-side. This is my case.
    Many reformulations are worse than original ones, this is unquestionable. It's not about "old memories", or "good old times", or nostalgic mood: it's a fact involving economic crysis, new cosmetic rules, cheapier ingredients.

Wow. My 2012 wears like a beast, particularly in terms of sillage. Man oh man, that stuff travels.
    Strangely enough, I tested another bottle in a shop yesterday and it smelled the same as my 2011 bottle at home. Could it be that the reformulation happened very late in 2012 and that this particular tester still had the old juice? Or is my nose playing tricks on me?

There have definitely been some reformulations. I have some old bottles of Fahrenheit and they smell very different from the current or pre2012 formulation. I think it's an established fact that Fahrenheit was reformulated at least twice, once around 1994 and again in 2006 ... coinciding with a change in bottle design. I believe there was another reformulation around 2002/2003, when the box design changed from vintage to modern.

My bottle from early 2010 is great. Lots of petrol up front but absolutely fantastic dry down and lasts forever.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Great review...I didn't buy a new bottle until now because of so many complains about content changed or wrong reformulation...now it's time for hunting....
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

There have definitely been some reformulations. I have some old bottles of Fahrenheit and they smell very different from the current or pre2012 formulation. I think it's an established fact that Fahrenheit was reformulated at least twice, once around 1994 and again in 2006 ... coinciding with a change in bottle design. I believe there was another reformulation around 2002/2003, when the box design changed from vintage to modern.
    Oh, I don't dispute that at all. But a lot of reformulation talk is blown so vastly out of proportion, and it gets worse when people don't know what they're talking about (I'm not referring to you). Read this thread and you'll see talk of how the smell changed drastically in 2012, and how the 2012 bottle looks totally different than it did in 2011, which we both know is incorrect. Reformulation talk gets so confusing because subtle changes are blown out of proportion, and they're mixed with sheer misinformation. It gets so bad that newbs who read this stuff mistakenly think they need to hunt down specific bottles rather than be able to go to the store and buy the stuff. And then we have a review like this one which shows that, clearly, the new stuff is not trash at all.

Really, any scent that uses any natural ingredients has to change at least a little from year to year because each season's crop will be a little different. Wine lovers know this. I'm actually amazed perfume houses weren't forced to put the year on each bottle and box the way it is for wine. But the bottom line is, it sure would be great if people could keep it in perspective. Yes, Fahrenheit has seen reformulation through its 25 year history... but...

I was clearly in the wrong when I smelled this a while back. I just bought a new bottle tonight and wow, its as glorious as it ever was compared to my 1990 bottle. The petroleum is just there enough to say something but is nicely blended and never out of character. I will never be without this and it is instantly among my top beloved. This stuff is amazing!
    ...to quote Scentologist: "This stuff is still amazing."

So why hasn't Aqua Fahrenheit changed in smell then if the original has been reformulated?

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    So why hasn't Aqua Fahrenheit changed in smell then if the original has been reformulated?
    I don't quite follow. Aqua Fahrenheit hasn't even been on store shelves yet for a full two years.

However, for many fragrances, there have been in the past only two reformulations: the first (slight reformulation) during 1998-2001 , the second (a drastic one) in 2009-2010.
    Before 1998 almost all frags smelled identical.

Oh, I don't dispute that at all. But a lot of reformulation talk is blown so vastly out of proportion, and it gets worse when people don't know what they're talking about (I'm not referring to you). Read this thread and you'll see talk of how the smell changed drastically in 2012, and how the 2012 bottle looks totally different than it did in 2011, which we both know is incorrect. Reformulation talk gets so confusing because subtle changes are blown out of proportion, and they're mixed with sheer misinformation. It gets so bad that newbs who read this stuff mistakenly think they need to hunt down specific bottles rather than be able to go to the store and buy the stuff. And then we have a review like this one which shows that, clearly, the new stuff is not trash at all.

Really, any scent that uses any natural ingredients has to change at least a little from year to year because each season's crop will be a little different. Wine lovers know this. I'm actually amazed perfume houses weren't forced to put the year on each bottle and box the way it is for wine. But the bottom line is, it sure would be great if people could keep it in perspective. Yes, Fahrenheit has seen reformulation through its 25 year history... but...

...to quote Scentologist: "This stuff is still amazing."
    I know nothing about the recent changes, etc. I don't pay attention to that. I just know that 2012 and 1989 aren't close and I think it stopped being amazing when they added too much gas. It wasn't altered memories, just I know what I used to wear and there was no way in college I thought..."gas is good." Heck, that smell makes me queasy.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I know nothing about the recent changes, etc. I don't pay attention to that. I just know that 2012 and 1989 aren't close and I think it stopped being amazing when they added too much gas. It wasn't altered memories, just I know what I used to wear and there was no way in college I thought..."gas is good." Heck, that smell makes me queasy.
    I understand. I'm referring to the idea that a 2010 smells freakishly different than a 2011 or 2012. I'd LOVE to smell the original 1988 release!!! I wish there were a way to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by just-visiting View Post
    Got a sample from Sephora and all I smell is gasoline. Not wearing it.
    One thing to take into consideration is that the bottles at Sephora are quite warm. I'm not saying that to be mean or discount your experience, but I would think that it affect the fragrance. Even the boxes are warm too. Try out a tester from Sears or The Bay. But if you don't like it, no worries. Not all fragrances work for everyone. I actually swapped my bottle, but now want to give this another chance.

I really don't think the 2012 formula is a disaster as some particular member here seems to be trying so hard to insist.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    Nasty stuff IMO
    stuff sucks

A masterpiece. An all-time classic for sure.

My dad had a bottle from back in the mid-90s. Well-stored, out of the bathroom heat and in a dark closet. He died in 2003. I'd always had an interest in fragrances. Always liked them, but never knew a whole lot. I remember going through his old colognes in 2005 and that's when I initially discovered Fahrenheit. He had half of a bottle left. I eventually finished it off. Amazing projection/sillage and the longevity was incredible.

Fast-forward to November 2012 -- I bought a bottle off of Fragrancenet. I STILL love Fahrenheit, but it just seems that the current formulation is so weak and hardly lasts! Why mess with something great? Why fix what's not broken? Ah, well. Still love it. I just hate the weakness compared to the old bottle that my late father had.

I have written a lot on here about my disappointment with the newer versions of Fahrenheit and how I would never pay what they were asking for Fahrenheit. Well, I was browsing a local store here and noticed they had marked down a bottle.
    What the heck I still love the scent of Fahrenheit i just wont smell like it more than 3 hrs. Boy was I wrong. When I first sprayed this on me I immediately noticed it wasn't like the current versions I tested. I got great sill-age and I actually got 8-10 hrs out of it. Also, I noticed a more prominent leather note in this than the others I tested. After I started reading this thread I checked the batch code and it was manufactured in 2011. I'm really stumped because here I am thinking that I have lost the Fahrenheit that i loved many years ago and whala I find the year 2011. Please someone help me understand this

Batch code please, Bobster? I wonder if you and I have the same Fahrenheit.

Batch code please, Bobster? I wonder if you and I have the same Fahrenheit.
    My batch code is.....1S02

I have three different bottles, all different sizes and all different dates and formulations.

In the youngest bottle I have, the petrol doesn't play as big of a role as I would like, but nonetheless, it still smells like Fahrenheit and still smells amazing, but not my favorite. Very floral dominant in here I've noticed.

The second bottle is a tab bit older, different formulation, more petrol and this one is probably my all around favorite between the three.

The last bottle, which is the oldest, has a fairly dominant petrol and is hard to keep myself from constantly putting my wrist to my nose, like wanting to keep smelling gasoline except you eventually get a headache lol..

I love all variations, they are all unmistakably Fahrenheit, and to the common nose will always be pegged as Fahrenheit. Only "our" noses really pick up those slight differences that drive us crazy.
    Current obsession...Invasion Barbare

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo Saggio View Post
    My bottle from early 2010 is great. Lots of petrol up front but absolutely fantastic dry down and lasts forever.
    This is basically my experience as well. If it adds to the conversation regarding age: I ordered this in late 2012, December I think, from Frangrancenet and it came in retail packaging, not unboxed. After a bit it smells absolutely superb.

All I have left from my Fahrenheit collection is an official 1ml Dior sample. It was produced in September 2011. I sprayed a small amount on my wrist from a tester in the stores yesterday and it honestly didn't last that long. That being said I didn't spray too much as the Dior atomizers spray an absolute tonne! If I spray to close to my wrist it actually drips lol.

I don't get how people say there have been "reformulation" changes with Fahrenheit in the past 3 years. My bottle is from 2012, I tried out the "2013" one and have a sample dating back from 2011, there is no difference. Yes there have been reformulations with this since its birth but I believe the last one was around 2006. I really don't understand how there could be batch variations here.
    Fantastic fragrance, from vintage to current, a masterpiece.

Well Dior reformulated all of their fragrances within the past 2 years, this is not speculation its an actual fact, due to some licensing issues and coupled with new IFRA regulations. I have 4 bottles of Fahrenheit, 1 from 1991, 1 from 1998, 1 from 2005, and the 2012 bottle. The first 2 bottles are the same, The third is slightly weaker in the top notes, but the same amazing drydown. The current bottle has the similar petrol top notes albeit watered down but the middle and base notes are incredibly weaker to the point it disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    I don't get how people say there have been "reformulation" changes with Fahrenheit in the past 3 years. My bottle is from 2012, I tried out the "2013" one and have a sample dating back from 2011, there is no difference.
    THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by killerloop View Post
    I love all variations, they are all unmistakably Fahrenheit, and to the common nose will always be pegged as Fahrenheit. Only "our" noses really pick up those slight differences that drive us crazy.
    Also THIS.
    I wish more people knew how to keep it in proper perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    The current bottle has the similar petrol top notes albeit watered down but the middle and base notes are incredibly weaker to the point it disappears.
    ...disappears? Fahrenheit? ...?!

Quote Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post
    A masterpiece. An all-time classic for sure.

My dad had a bottle from back in the mid-90s. Well-stored, out of the bathroom heat and in a dark closet. He died in 2003. I'd always had an interest in fragrances. Always liked them, but never knew a whole lot. I remember going through his old colognes in 2005 and that's when I initially discovered Fahrenheit. He had half of a bottle left. I eventually finished it off. Amazing projection/sillage and the longevity was incredible.

Fast-forward to November 2012 -- I bought a bottle off of Fragrancenet. I STILL love Fahrenheit, but it just seems that the current formulation is so weak and hardly lasts! Why mess with something great? Why fix what's not broken? Ah, well. Still love it. I just hate the weakness compared to the old bottle that my late father had.
    As vinramani09 noted, there is an official reformulation ('repatriation', as Dior calls it) in the past two years, and with IFRA restrictions, there are broken things, not necessarily with the smell of the perfumes themselves, but with the process of making them.

Also, there is also the factor of ageing: the older a perfume, the more changes there are within. There is this well-known maceration process where freshly-made perfumes often smell different from a minimally-aged one, and this process is of enough concern to perfumers. Then, there is evaporation, so older perfumes tend to seem stronger. So, for all we know, the 'weak' juice we get now would mature into better stuff five, ten years down!