Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My fragrance collection is..........

So I was just responding to someone else's thread asking for a safe fragrance suitable for corporate setting. I perused my wardrobe to see whether I could offer suggestions from it.

Here is what I found.......NOT SAFE.

Mind you, I am ok with that personally, it fits my personality. I've a pretty strong personality, strong opinions, I'm confident, etc. but I was a little surprised to see that nothing in my collection is exactly safe and quiet save three fragrances which I feel are pretty soft.

So how about you, how would you quantify your collection? Safe? Not safe? Quiet? Confident? Loud? Highly varied among all of these?
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My fragrance collection is..........

Generally not safe. Loud. Leaning towards statement scents, gourmands, and BWFs. I like vintage powerhouses and aldehydes, too; I own Rush and Opium and LouLou and Chanel No. 5. I own nothing "Eau" or aquatic--nothing against those fragrances, they are just not my taste.

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Old school. Give me your civets, your aldehydes, ambergris, and all sorts of funk short of offal, and I will wear it!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Post Thanks / Like

Both but perhaps on the not-safe side. I like leathers. I also like florals, which, depending, may or not may not be considered safe for men.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on perspective.

For an American, its probably not very safe but not too outlandish either.

For non-Americans, I'd say its average with a slight tilt towards perfumes with single dominant notes.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say of the stuff I end up wearing, mostly nice nichey or some designer but generally safe. As for the stuff I get small decants of or keep samples of to wear around the house or sniff in the dark in secret, well, that stuff's a bit more daring...
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

I would describe it as varied, not sure about safe or not. Most of my scents would probably be described as " evening scents ". I love spicy and classic scents. But also green scents.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Highly varied among all of these?
    The above.

Post Thanks / Like

...very diverse. I've got something for any situation imaginable ...well, that *I* can imagine, but I'm sure I can't speak for some of you freaks out there, hehe. Anyway, office, air travel, subway, streetcar, doctor's offices and hospitals, ballet class, barre class, the gym, ocean-side, poolside, sailing, gala events, casual picnics, bbqs, crawfish boils, outdoor sports, indoor sports, restaurants, romantic evenings, sexy evenings, rowdy evenings, cos-play, gardening, parties, weddings, showers, movies, symphony concerts, jazz concerts, rock concerts, karaoke night, lunch with the girls, shopping, funerals, video arcades, zoos, museums, festivals and fairs, depositions, jury duty, etc., etc., etc. I've *never* come across a situation that made me think "I have nothing to wear," perfume-wise, and I very rarely simply go without.

Also, even the very loudest perfumes can be tamed by judicious application. *How* you apply can be much more important than what.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Post Thanks / Like

highly varied, I have pretty much all olfactive families represented, including some men's scents, too.

Definitely not safe. Megaphone mostly for me. Sometimes I like to tell the world :P
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Post Thanks / Like

On balance, delicious. Lots of more gourmand scents.

Post Thanks / Like

I would characterize the bottles I own as safe. Traditional even. Quiet. Floral, green and chypres, mostly.

I usually am either in boring business situations or running around doing mom things, and neither is an environment where loud and outrageous would feel appropriate. When we go out, it's usually in situations where I'm around a lot of different people, so, ditto. I tend to be quiet, so I don't mind quiet fragrances, I guess.

My loud, outrageous and really different scents are all samples. I love wearing those, but I haven't found one yet that I think I'd wear so much that I must own a full bottle.

On the other hand, my idea of safe scents is my own. I've learned that lots of people dislike notes I really like, so I know that some people would have trouble with what I consider easy on the nose.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

All over the place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smokin' hot! I smell fantastic at all times. Chypres, greens, aldehydes, gourmands, incense, citrus and Aoud are among my favorites. Many are discontinued. I don't have much designer/department store fare. Mainly niche. I am not motivated by rarity or expense, but by quality of scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Largely unsafe and at times, even a bit ostentatious, but pretty eclectic too, since there are quite a few safer, more mainstream and less offensive fragrances mingled within the selection.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

So how about you, how would you quantify your collection? Safe? Not safe? Quiet? Confident? Loud?
    All of the above . Healthy and diverse representation from virtually every genre, male and female marketed, vintage and contemporary, sublime and ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Also, even the very loudest perfumes can be tamed by judicious application. *How* you apply can be much more important than what.
    Agree 100%

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

...very diverse. I've got something for any situation imaginable ...well, that *I* can imagine, but I'm sure I can't speak for some of you freaks out there, hehe. Anyway, office, air travel, subway, streetcar, doctor's offices and hospitals, ballet class, barre class, the gym, ocean-side, poolside, sailing, gala events, casual picnics, bbqs, crawfish boils, outdoor sports, indoor sports, restaurants, romantic evenings, sexy evenings, rowdy evenings, cos-play, gardening, parties, weddings, showers, movies, symphony concerts, jazz concerts, rock concerts, karaoke night, lunch with the girls, shopping, funerals, video arcades, zoos, museums, festivals and fairs, depositions, jury duty, etc., etc., etc. I've *never* come across a situation that made me think "I have nothing to wear," perfume-wise, and I very rarely simply go without.

l love this answer, E!

While l have a strong penchant for loud, statement fragrances, l do own a number of softer, quieter ones that are more suited for where l work. l do agree however that judicious application can make all the difference.

lf you asked Mr teardrop about my collection though, he'd tell you 90% of it smells like old ladies' pee. The poor man has to put up with me enjoying my skankier numbers at home. Tee hee.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l love this answer, E!
    Thanks!

While l have a strong penchant for loud, statement fragrances, l do own a number of softer, quieter ones that are more suited for where l work. l do agree however that judicious application can make all the difference.

lf you asked Mr teardrop about my collection though, he'd tell you 90% of it smells like old ladies' pee. The poor man has to put up with me enjoying my skankier numbers at home. Tee hee.
    Well, we just won't ask him! We already know you always smell wonderful.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha ha, I'm pretty sure my Mr. Fantastic would also feel the same about my collection. He commented the other day that he's beginning to recognize 'that stuff you seem to like that smells like pee'. Oh dear.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hee! Thanks E, you sweetheart!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ha ha ha, I'm pretty sure my Mr. Fantastic would also feel the same about my collection. He commented the other day that he's beginning to recognize 'that stuff you seem to like that smells like pee'. Oh dear.
    Ha ha! Just know that you are not alone. How grateful l am for the internet to help folks like us to find each other!

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, I don't think I've ever heard a more comprehensive perfume insult ...not just "old lady", not just "pee", but "Old Ladies' Pee." Yikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Btw, I don't think I've ever heard a more comprehensive perfume insult ...not just "old lady", not just "pee", but "Old Ladies' Pee." Yikes.
    Mr teardrop is taking this as a compliment. He's so funny.

Sorry for derailing the thread slightly, danie!

Post Thanks / Like

I would say my collection is varied. I like modern classics, vintages, challenging niche, artisnal oud oil and delicious gourmands.

I will wear most anything that I enjoy and adjust my dosage accordingly. I agree that it is often the amount worn and not the scent itself that makes something inappropriate.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr teardrop is taking this as a compliment. He's so funny.

Sorry for derailing the thread slightly, danie!

All in good fun my dear. Mr. Fantastic would take that as a compliment as well. He'd be quite proud.

I would say my collection is definitely not eclectic.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

...full of memories, happy and sad. I'm governed by mood more than situation. I lean towards the classics, like a good floral/leather and veer away from the overly sweet gourmands. Load me up with civet, oak moss and aldehydes and I'm a happy girl. There are a few fragrances that always attract my attention and a handful that have rendered me speechless.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like

.... streamlined. Quiet but with distinct presence. Hand-picked and this user-friendly. Loved, mostly.

Unlike E. I wake up every morning and think I have nothing to wear. I also see perfume in my night dreams and plan ahead on what to wear and for what reason, sometimes I fail to find the one I want but wear something anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

My perfume collection leans towards the French/Italian
    style. I love the lush, ripe fruit and ambery style of Christine Nagel
    or the edgy, absinthe/licorice of certain Serge Lutens. I love Laura Biagiotti, Versace,
    Gucci, YSL, Dior and E. Coudray. I also have a soft spot for vanilla/caramel scents like
    Ambre et Vanille and Shalimar.
    What I don't like are watery, insipid scents or screechy, white
    florals.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Juvenile, I guess? Unsophisticated? I'm a big fan of sweet scents, and I like some fruity ones too. Starting to get into warm/woody/spicy, but I still prefer mine on the sweet side (like Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille or Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille). Classics and old-school scents...not so much. I'm in my 20s, though, so I reserve the right to be as unsophisticated as I please My choices are quite safe, for the most part.
    Last edited by naz1; 12th March 2014 at 10:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My collection is classic with a touch of uniqueness. That's because I like to blend in (be appropriate) but I also like my individuality to be recognized. My scent style is similar to my clothing style in that regard.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Like a traditional diner breakfast, my collection is varying degrees of warm and golden brown: Honey, leather, incense, woods, amber, tea, tobacco, and spices.