Code of Conduct

Default ...and with that, I'm good, I think.

Just recently acquired my tenth bottle of cologne/fragrance, eleven if you count an almost finished mini of Izod.

And now that it's at that number, it seems that it's likely too many, I'll never use them all, and want to whittle it down to a solid half dozen.

What's the rule of thumb? I'm thinking one for each season of the year, one for special occasions like weddings and such, and one for the occasional date or night out.

Thoughts, on realizing that you just have too many bottles? On whittling down your cologne wardrobe?

Default Re: ...and with that, I'm good, I think.

The more you sample and come on here at basenotes the more your horizons widen and the more you want. After a time you may want to cull the frags you never wear only to start the process over again.

There's no rules man. If you're happy with your collection that's fine, but I see more fragrance purchases in your near future. Your stash is quite humble when compared to other basenoters.

I said the same thing... 90 bottles ago, 70 bottles ago, 40 bottles ago, and yesterday.

I hope you have better luck quitting than I did.

My whittling down will hopefully begin this year - starting with the countless samples of stuff. I just don't have very many full bottles that I want to part with yet. I sold 2 in the last 3 months, but very few others really need to go. However, this year, my focus is getting backup bottles of some things that I love rather than expanding my collection further - or at least to greatly reduce the rate of growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The more you sample and come on here at basenotes the more your horizons widen and the more you want. After a time you may want to cull the frags you never wear only to start the process over again.
    ^This

I haven't come to the point yet when I feel I have reached the end.

There are no predefined rules, the best is simply what works best for you.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 3rd March 2013 at 04:33 PM.

There is no rule of thumb my friend. Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself.

No, I don't believe there is a rule of thumb for how many bottles to have, because what you want on a particular day might be the 15th bottle, or the 40th bottle. I think the only thing for certain is that, if you really want to give yourself the best chance to quit buying fragrances, your best bet would be to quit coming around Basenotes. Sad, but true, I'm afraid.

But that would take all the fun out, wouldn't it?
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Sound Scents

Sorry, can't help as I am still looking to expand... ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

You're talking to people with collections in the hundreds or more. Me? I could never stick with a single fragrance for "special" occasions or a particular season. Just couldn't be that prescriptive (and don't have so many special occasions!). I want to be able to wear orange blossom--or incense or tuberose or vanilla--when the mood strikes.

If you find that you can pare down to six or so and be happy, that's fantastic! To each his own.

Yeah....I said that when I reached 30. Now I have 39 and am still wondering how that happened.

Oops.

I'll stop at 50. Yeah, thats a nice round number. Or maybe 100. Yeah, that sounds perfect.....

Like many have already said, its hard to quit this hobby once the bug has bitten you. Here are some tips to still be able to collect and not spend so much money.

1. If I buy a bottle and I am not 100% completely in love with it I make a 10-20 ml decant of it for myself and put the rest of it up for sale/swap in the market place here to try something else out.

2. Get in on some splits around here. Its a much cheaper way to experience some of the nicer stuff out there.

3. Sample, sample, sample. Get samples of stuff before you buy a full bottle(duh)

There are many niche houses I would love to explore and sample but my collecion is large enough to last the rest of my life. And given that many fragrances are not available locally I am pretty much done unless something new and amazing is released this year. May get in on a couple of splits this year but that's it!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Why limit by number?

Not everything can be quantified should be quantified.

Buy what you like. If you like more, then be it.

for swap/sale:

Buy, use, weed out, sell...like with everything else, clothing, books, records, etc. How much you need/want of everything is up to you (and perhaps your wallet).

I tend to phase in and out of fragrances in general. I only have 5 full bottles, and a couple of decants and samples. I try to finish a full bottle of X before I purchase another. Usually it's a post on here that sets off a chain of thought that then sparks an impulse along the lines of " I should really check Y or note Z out."

The wheel goes full circle and it starts all over again.

If you want to have any chance of doing what you say you're going to do, leave Basenotes and do not look back. Otherwise, a year from now you'll be making the same exact post, but instead of talking about whittling your collection down to a half dozen you'll be talking about whittling it down to 30 or 40.

I would suggest expanding your collection, but buying large decants rather than full bottles.

When I started out, I had a definite plan to acquire a collection of about 20-25 fragrances - I don't do things by rote or by rule, and I need to have enough so that there's always at least one that takes my fancy.

When I reached 30 I thought I hadn't exceeded my plan by much.

Today I bought number 35...
    Alan

I can't really say many of us are the people to talk about when it comes to that. I have 24 bottles now and I'm nowhere near done yet. I remember just 9 months ago I had three fragrances and non-fragrance people thought that was silly...now look at me.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quality over quantity. And, it depends on how much money you're comfortable spending.

For me though, my collection of full bottles always ranges from 10 to 20. And when I'm done with my collection, I doubt it will top 30. I only keep what I know I will use. I only keep what I love - not what I like. For example, Mugler Cologne is a nice one, but I barely wear it, so I swapped it. I swap, sell or opt not to buy the rest.

I'll take 10 really good bottles over 30 cheapies anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Quality over quantity. And, it depends on how much money you're comfortable spending.

For me though, my collection of full bottles always ranges from 10 to 20. And when I'm done with my collection, I doubt it will top 30. I only keep what I know I will use. I only keep what I love - not what I like. For example, Mugler Cologne is a nice one, but I barely wear it, so I swapped it. I swap, sell or opt not to buy the rest.

I'll take 10 really good bottles over 30 cheapies anyday.
    Exactly! If I were starting over there are very, very few designer or cheapie fragrances I would purchase. My most recent buys have been Fredrick Malle, Mona de Orio, Tauer and the amazing Black Afgano. And Slumberhouse... those cheapies seem like a waste of money with a few exceptions. I may sell some of my collection.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I agree Alk.

I mean, for me, I bought a lot of cheapies too. It was helpful in the beginning of my journey and I don't regret it at all. Now, I'm swapping a lot of them, but still, the mistakes I made with cheapies helped me a lot when it came to my bigger purchases. Because with those cheapies I learned how to test, appreciate, and accurately judge fragrances so I can better tell which is worthy of owning and which is just nice.

I see threads such as top ten, what fragrances does one consider 10/10, best gourmand, best citrus, etc.. Historically fragrances belong the certain genres such as fougère, chypre, whatever, with some overlap. I have my own classification system based on what I smell and similar scents. The way I see it is if I have five similar scents and I feel one is the best, then I really don't need the other four. Why have a scent you don't feel is the best from a class? I sample many and if a scent can't beat out what I consider to be the best in any different class, I don't need it. My wardrobe remains small because I only own what I feel is best, anything less would be uncivilized.

A fragrance collector may likely have a different philosophy.
    Last edited by PEARL; 4th March 2013 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I think the only thing for certain is that, if you really want to give yourself the best chance to quit buying fragrances, your best bet would be to quit coming around Basenotes. Sad, but true, I'm afraid.
    Exactly!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Your case is like someone trying to start a dieting regimen but entering into an International House of Pancakes retaurant!!!

Good luck with your cull, if you succeed, I am not dieting, neither am I stopping / limiting myself from the wonderful world of parfums...

Agree, spend time here, and you're opened to new desires every day...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

I remember thinking I was good when I had 12 - once for every month of the year, right?!... I'm somewhere round the 100 mark now. I don't even know anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Your case is like someone trying to start a dieting regimen but entering into an International House of Pancakes retaurant!!!

Good luck with your cull, if you succeed, I am not dieting, neither am I stopping / limiting myself from the wonderful world of parfums...
    LOL awesome way of putting it mate
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Banned
    Blog Entries

thankfully the one thing that's stopping me from buying dozens of fragrances is the fact that i don't make a lot of money and i know my limit.

Basenotes Plus

My fragrance wardrobe is a hydra. It used to have 9 heads until I tried to lop off a few...

Yes, you're good...for now...

It's best to make your own rules based on what your purpose for buying/using frags is. If you're looking to be a collector, you're going to always collect more (or at least go through repeated phases) and prune your collection.

If you're just looking to get a line-up of frags you like and want to use regularly, then cycle out the ones you just end up never using. (That said, don't be stingy; use your favorites or the ones you'd say you save for special occasions. Being alive is a special occasion; don't short yourself by not experiencing exactly what you want during any given moment of it; don't save for tomorrow what you can enjoy today.)

My guess is you're at the latter, and have plenty of time to become the former .

When I had 7 - I now have one for each day of the week.
    When I had 10 - This should be enough.
    When I had 15 - Fortnightly rotation in operation.
    When I had 30 - One for each day of the month and I won't buy anymore.
    When I had 50 - This is going to be my limit.

Currently 60 odd and I don't think I will exceed 100, but when I do, I will blame Basenotes and it's members for this.

My concern is not the never ending purchase of new bottles but ...

WILL THEY REALLY NOT GO BAD? Can I keep them for ever?

Yes I keep them in a dark cupboard and a room with no heating...

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    My concern is not the never ending purchase of new bottles but ...

WILL THEY REALLY NOT GO BAD? Can I keep them for ever?

Yes I keep them in a dark cupboard and a room with no heating...
    My oldest bottle is around 10 years+ or so old and still smells like it's first day. Make sure you keep them in a cool dark location.

I have seen people keep them safe for 40+ years.

10 bottles??!!! I had 10 bottles before I even knew I could buy frags on the internet and before I knew people talked about fragrances on the internet.

I use to own about 5 bottles total and I was satisfied with that before I joined basenotes. Now I own over a 100 bottles and over a hundred samples and want more bottles. I have also found that my taste changes sometimes and I am always curious to explore.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

If I had stopped seeking something new, different and exciting after the first 11 books I owned/had read and simply re-read those first eleven over and over life would have never been as interesting. What wonders I would have missed!
    Last edited by kbe; 5th March 2013 at 05:22 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

2 points.

Quality <> price. Something like Rive Gauche PH is a cheapie, does that make it poor quality?

And then there is the subject of "I'll never use them all", have a read of this:

http://www.nstperfume.com/2008/08/19...llection-last/

I'm a 4 sprays kind of a guy, unless its Giorgio for Men. So I could get through my current collection in about 18 years. I intend on still being around by then!

As as been said, there are no rules or limits. For me I'm thinking that somewhere between 30 and 50 full bottles is right, but other prefer more other prefer less. Whatever makes you happy and that fits into your budget.

I have 10 or 12 on the go at any one time -- I carry no dead wood. I also have half used or less rarities/vintages hidden in dry dark places that I will wear on really special occasions (if at all).