Code of Conduct

Default Bvlgari Aqva: Another aqua scrubber

After reading enough folks describe Bvlgari Aqva as standing apart from other aquatics by using a natural-smelling accord to evoke the sea, rather than a big slug of Calone, I enthusiastically sprayed myself this morning from a sample I'd almost forgotten. First few minutes, not bad. Then, not long after that, there it was: huge, synthetic, cartoon-watery Calone (or, given that I'm no expert on aromachemicals, whatever is the same nauseating aquatic note used in Bond No. 9 Wall Street, at the base of Aqua Fahrenheit, and likely countless others). Maybe a bunch of folks are just much less sensitive to this chemical since it's so ubiquitous, allowing other notes in Aqva to stand out, but for me, it was a big let-down. I'd hoped to find a refreshingly sophisticated take on an "aquatic" fragrance here, but no. In fact, three hours in, I was in the bathroom scrubbing it off with detergent. It takes a lot for me to do that.

Looks like next I'll have to give Heeley's Sel Marin a proper try.

Default Re: Bvlgari Aqva: Another aqua scrubber

Actually don't mind this one, however Aqva Marine is totally disgusting.

Banned

I havent tried Bulgari Aqua but I like the aqua marine a lot.
    Not a fan of Heeley's sel marin. Smells so much like issey miyake. No need to spend triple the amount and smell the same.
    Besides, I smell so much seaweed in it. I feel like I am in a dirty harbor somewhere with lots of seaweeds around me.

Not a good one IMO.

I think the calone is most present in the opening, together with the citrus. To my nose the heart is more dominated by gasoline like flowers, somewhat remniscent of Fahrenheit. Then it dries down to sharp, dry cedar. I think it's a great fragrance.

Maybe I both over-sprayed and didn't give it enough time to really appreciate it, but getting through that much calone is difficult for me (and certainly tells me it's not something I'd want to wear).

Sound Scents

I agree it is a disappointing release that is no better than countless others in the genre.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

I sampled both Aqva and Aqva Marine, and found them both dreadful... especially the latter.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Sel Marin is a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I havent tried Bulgari Aqua but I like the aqua marine a lot.
    I smell so much seaweed in it. I feel like I am in a dirty harbor somewhere with lots of seaweeds around me.
    Exactly right... like a dirty harbor with stagnant seawater, maybe some dead fish floating around, and some stinky seaweed baking under the hot sun.
    Yes... a great frag indeed.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Double post from this effed up site.
    Last edited by bigsteve; 3rd March 2013 at 11:02 PM.

It turned utterly filthy on my skin, salty, sweaty and extremely unpleasant. I gave it away.
    It smells alright -though still nothing special - on other people.

Bulgari's only good mens fragrance in my opinion is PH Extreme. I find them to be a really weak house.

Banned
    Blog Entries

In my eyes, Bulgari is a good fragrance, but not a great one. It is better than the average run-of-the-mill aquatic, but only slightly. It's something that would be pretty good for a beginner to try, but once you start to try much better fragrances, this one will likely become obsolete.

It's alright, I quite like it, esp the seaweed part. It gets a bit too sweet later on. Also enjoy the fishy part of Marine. And the pebble bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Actually don't mind this one, however Aqva Marine is totally disgusting.
    I agree. Love the original Aqva, but I don't care for Aqva Marine either. My favorite part of Aqva is the drydown with that sweet "mineral amber" accord. With hints of saltiness remaining, it reminds me of the smell of wave beaten rocky shores.

The only fragrance that could be described as an aquatic I like is Cote d'Amour by L'Artisan Parfumeur. It's probably not coincidence that this is 100% natural. It's not as salty and obviously oceanic as these calone monsters, but worth a try.

If I didnt have too many fragrances to rotate, Bvlgari Aqva would be one of my workhorses. Great longevity and I just dig that salty-seaweed-dirty-beach vibe which doesnt alienate those who get a whiff (some of my friends turn up their noses at some of my moe expensive niches, which bums me out just a tiny bit sometimes haha). Big fan right here, favorite aquatic in my 'drobe.

I've changed on this one. This used to be my favorite aquatic. I got a salty, peppery, spicy scent that was really different and great for summer. Ever since i finished a bottle 2 years back I've wanted to revisit it. However, recent retestings has brought out a skanky smell upon initial application that I haven't been able to shake. I don't know if its seaweed that never came out before or the formula but it isn't working anymore.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Not a big fan of this one either. Howerver, I do enjoy Fahrenheit Aqua. The note you get in a lot of those aqua frags is probably anise.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Not a big fan of this one either. Howerver, I do enjoy Fahrenheit Aqua. The note you get in a lot of those aqua frags is probably anise.
    I'm very doubtful of that. I know what anise smells like (I like it), and understand that it's a "cooler" note, but the common aromachemical in these aqua fragrances (Calone most likely) is very distinct and recognizable, and very synthetic. It's most certainly not anise.

Maybe it is the genericness.