Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Balenciaga fragrances: maybe the greatest quality ever?

Hi gang,
    I did an intense testing session with about 50 different fragrances (see first picture), measuring longevity on paper, and the results are simply (at least for me) astonishing.

the two top-longevity perfumes are the Balenciaga ones , namely:
    -Balenciaga pour Homme (year 1990) , and
    -Cristobal pour Homme (year 2000)
    both discontinued.

with a longevity of about 21 days
    You read correctly: after 20 days ( 3 weeks!) on paper, the Balenciaga scents still smell in a recognizable way.
    I have literally no words in my mouth: this is far superior than vintage YSL Kouros , Yves Saint Laurent M7, Thierry Mugler's A*Men (all with about 14-days-longevity on paper) , usually considered the top-longevity benchmarks.

Balenciaga perfumes simply outlasted all others. Since the longevity is one of quality parameters, I wonder if these scents were produced with really top-notch standards.

Maybe underrated?
    Or, maybe, no one fully understood and appreciated the quality behind.
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 4th March 2013 at 11:41 AM.

Default Re: Balenciaga fragrances: maybe the greatest quality ever?

I wouldn't say that it is the greatest quality. However, the two of which you speak are classic and glad I own them.

Original Rumba is incredible. Everyone aficionado should at least have a decant of it. Diva and Le Dix are excellent too. I'd like to try more of them (vintage of course) !

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think quality and longevity correlate in any meaningful way. Good longevity only tells us that the juice has a high concentration of the synthetics or naturals with the most heavy molecules - these are usually the notes that constitute the basenotes. There is no reason to think that high quality ingredients are always long lasting. Some very cheap and common synthetic chemicals can easily outlast high quality natural ingredients.

Oh, and I also don't think that naturals are good and synthetics are bad. It was just an easy way to make a point.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember the female ones being that commonly available in U.K., even in London, although I am happy to defer to superior knowledge here!
    Certainly miss Quadrille.

Wouldn't say that the frag is superior to the other one's mentioned. Let's just say it's a longer lasting frag on paper. Thanks for the info though.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Andrč,

This subject is very interesting as almost all information and comparisons you make.

I wonder what were the fifty fragrances you tested on paper?

It would also be very interesting to know which was the longevity of each.

You tested the Lapidus pour homme?.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

This has nothing to do with overall quality, in my opinion.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

"....In a nutshell I think a perfumer is composing not one fragrance, but several in succession that form as the materials evaporate, and the artistic interest and coherence of each of the stages has to be optimised for the whole thing to work.
    A short-lived fragrance, unless it is specifically designed to be so, is usually an indication of lack of technical skill...."
    (Luca Turin, 2011)

I think a long-lived fragrance could be an indicator of high quality.
    Obviously I mean an *evolving* scent with top, middle and base notes changing through the hours, as happened with all great perfumes ( a synthetic molecule stands for days, week and months, but does not evolve, and it's not a "perfume" strictly said)
    (only for example , "Cristobal pour Homme" starts to show its real power after 3-4 hours on skin; it's a "slow" perfume. While some other perfumes, after 4 hours, simply disappear)

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting post, Andre Moreau -

I have, in multiple conversations, said that Balenciaga is simply one of the greatest houses of fragrance - ever. It is a design house that has uncompromising quality. The reality is that the best scents are discontinued, but still out there online to be had. Recommendation to any and all fragrance lovers is to at least try/sample these amazing masterpieces (Balenciaga Pour Homme - 1990 and Cristobal Pour Homme - 2000). Quite honestly, they are (in my humble opinion) better than virtually all niche quality fragrances that I have tried...the depth, power, longevity are part of what impresses, but also the subtle nuances and integration of notes. For those that know, Balenciaga's name is top-tier. There are other houses that have put out great scents over the years (including YSL) on a consistent basis - but now those are sold to larger corporations (L'Oreal in YSL's case after his passing) and quality has been totally compromised. Reformulation has ruined what once was.

I admire Balenciaga for doing what few houses do...discontinue a fragrance instead of reformulate it down to nothing.

My advice is to explore the entire line. While these two bottles are exemplary and showcase the quality and majestic power & beauty, there are many others (both masculine & feminine) that are at the pinnacle of excellence.

To behold, admire and adorn...no other house has or ever will create scents similar to these magnificent bottles of indulgence. For me, there are few houses that have achieved what Balenciaga has in their creations...simply, uncompromising.

Thank you for sharing your insights.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 6th March 2013 at 02:07 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Post Thanks / Like

Le Dix by Balenciaga is genuinely a solid proof in this case. Know very little about they male fragrances so far, but on the bright side, an additional reason for some thorough Balenciaga testing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a little bit of time with Cristobal and it was a solid fragrance. Didn't really care for it, but the quality of the blending and ingredients was above normal. I'd put it a step below Chanel on the quality level.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Dior Homme Sport 2012, Mauboussin M Generation, Zino Davidoff, Pal Zileri Viaggio D'Africa, and Rive Gauche.

Post Thanks / Like

I own Portos, Ho Hang, Balenciaga Pour Homme and Ho Hang Club, as well as miniature vintage versions of all female Balenciaga fragrances and I absolutely love all of them. Top notch quality, individuality and longevity. Cristobal pour Homme is on my wish/buy list. Get Portos an Ho Hang, they're still available for reasonable prices at ebay, and you can be quite sure no one else you bump into will wear this.

- - - Updated - - -

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

My SOTD just happens to be Balenciaga pH!

I agree that this is a stunning composition. The potency (1.5 sprays today, just right for all day) and longevity are extraordinary. Easily 36 hours on skin. Very complex drydown. I love that it has an oriental feel but focuses way more on patchouli and resin than balsamic/amber. It's one of the only frags with "red fruit" (damascone) accord that is subtle enough for me to deal with. Very curious to try Cristobal now you mention it.

Hordak, Portos is a bit rare and expensive imo. Do you get any smoky birch tar from its leather accord? Or is it just animalic castoreum? I love the rest of its pyramid but really can't do birch tar.

Very interesting experiment, thanks for the info! Would love to smell some of these Balenciaga classics someday, as I have never come across them before in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    I really don't think quality and longevity correlate in any meaningful way. Good longevity only tells us that the juice has a high concentration of the synthetics or naturals with the most heavy molecules - these are usually the notes that constitute the basenotes. There is no reason to think that high quality ingredients are always long lasting. Some very cheap and common synthetic chemicals can easily outlast high quality natural ingredients.

Oh, and I also don't think that naturals are good and synthetics are bad. It was just an easy way to make a point.
    BRILLIANT POST. I underlined two points and say YES and YES. Iso E Super is a synthetic ingredient and it lasts for ages, whereas some natural ingredients don't last long at all.

That being said... Andrč Moreau!!! That top picture is awesome!!! Man, I wish I was there to smell smell smell all of those. I wish there was somewhere locally I could go to sample Balenciaga scents. Those pics make me jealous
    Anybody want to get rid of H.O.T. Always? Andy Warhol? I've got vintage M7 & others in my swap list here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One of my favorites from Belenciaga is Ho Hang. What a wonderful oriental, and I am partial to orientals. I keep seeing so many grand fragrances pass into oblivion tragically. If you have not tried this fragrance you have not, as they say, "lived". My hope is that I do not outlive Mitsouko. When it goes, so go I.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this thread !
    I agree with you that Balenciaga fragrances are of very high quality. I do think however, that there are some other designer houses that rival Balenciaga's quality ~ Gres, Balmain and Weil to name a few.
    Apart from the aforementioned fragrances I would like to add two which are very special to me. Prelude, (this is my favourite from their womens releases). Has to be tried !
    Also, Cologne d'Orient, (mens limited edition). I started a thread about this a while back. Some posters to the thread insisted that this was exactly the same fragrance as Cristobal Pour Homme. I think they made an error. I remember testing Cristobal Pour Homme when it was released, but I never bought it. I did buy Cologne d'Orient and to my nose it smells very different. Cologne d'Orient to me is VERY close to Jaipur Pour Homme, but I prefer Cologne d'Orient because the spices are slightly smoother and more finely tuned. I could be wrong, but I think Cristobal Pour Homme bears no resemblance to Jaipur Pour Homme ???.....please correct me if I am wrong ! I really recommend tracking down Cologne d'Orient. It comes in a 200ml splash bottle.
    Last edited by david; 5th March 2013 at 12:39 PM.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post
    Hello Andrč,

This subject is very interesting as almost all information and comparisons you make.

I wonder what were the fifty fragrances you tested on paper?

It would also be very interesting to know which was the longevity of each.

You tested the Lapidus pour homme?.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi, Sorry, no Lapidus pH in this 50-fragrances test . Maybe next time

Post Thanks / Like

Monkeybars,
    no birch tar note, just good old animalic castoreum.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak View Post
    Monkeybars,
    no birch tar note, just good old animalic castoreum.
    Thanks newb

Balenciaga Pour Homme is rereleased as 30ML bottles.

I wonder if it is reformulated?

I love cristobal. It definitely lasts all day for me. I just scored a 50ml bottle for 25 bucks from a local fragrance store. I don't think they know what they had.