Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Creed Fragrance Analysis

GIT copied Cool Water? Was it composed by Marty McFly and Doc then?

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Getting tired of seeing Green Irish Tweed = Cool Water cliche. But don't you just love Creed fans?

I'll leave the history or fantasy to the historians and ad writers. For what it's worth, I'll settle for quality over originality ANY day. Like any other houses, they have their good, their bad & their ugly. And they certainly have their peers. Otherwise why beat us up over the head with their glorious history?
    Currently wearing: Cuoio by Odori

What cliche might that be?

Basenotes Plus

Didn't someone ask what a cage match was the other day?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    You must be joking ? Are you ? Peerless ?

I think not. Have you ever heard of Santa Maria Novella, Miller Harris, Tom Ford Private Blends, Il Profumo, L'artisan Parfumers, Parfum D'Empire, Amouage, Yves Saint Laurant, Mona di Orio, Christian Dior, Chanel, Renaissance, MPG, Histoires des Parfums, Birley.......etc. We could sit here forever and list them off. There are also many designer fragrance ( current and d/c'd) that match/surpass Creed's quality.
    The above named few --- easily surpass Creed IMO...Creed is waaaay over-rated on BN

I just love a lot of their fragrances. Overrated? Not to me. Overpriced? Sure!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Huh? Aventus just came out a few years ago, as did Royal Oud, and Windsor. What about Virgin Island Water, Original Vetiver, Original Santal, and Himalaya - all came out since Royal Water (and didn't Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse come out in 1975?)
    All these are admired by a great many people on Basenotes, and have been copied by other houses. It seems like Creed just keeps getting better each decade - not riding on any coat tails of their past.

And personally I would take Royal Water in a heartbeat over 80% of the other fragrances out there.

NO house releases 100% hits. IMO, Creed comes closest.
    Ridden on its coat tails doesn't mean the juice I mentioned is old...it means that The house has some classics..GIT, Aventus, that carry the mediocre offerings on their coat tails. there are BN'ers that get up my nose with heaping praise on everything the house puts out. NO house hits a home run with every try. I respect those that give genuine criticism for Creed fragrances. I respect the BN'er who says "I love this house, but gotta admit [insert fragrance name] is a loser" Royal water is fake lemon and bug spray. It literally smells EXACTLY like a particular brand of bug spray. Shame on them exploiting Princess Diana's popularity. I get suspicious of anyone who never sees the flaws in their favorite team, political party, or fragrance house.
    Last edited by Diogenes65; 5th March 2013 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    I get suspicious of anyone who never sees the flaws in their favorite team, political party, or fragrance house.
    I would agree with you... but I don't think I have yet seen anyone (on Basenotes) say that Creed is perfect and they do no wrong.

Quite the opposite - the vast majority of people who see Creed in purely Black/White terms are the haters - and usually it isn't to insult their fragrances, but their marketing (which I am yet to have ever seen personally), or their prices (which are not the highest in the industry despite what the haters would have us think).

You have twice now mentioned Royal Water. Personally, I kinda of like it (not enough to buy it at this time, but considering it). I didn't realize Royal Water was a sales juggernaut that people were buying blind based on the 2 you mention in a positive light. If you don't like it, I can sure understand that, but you are trying to make a point about a whole house being overrated by pointing out one or two products - and probably the two lowest reviewed fragrances they have.

Since Aventus came out in 2010, they have released Royal Oud, Jardin d'Amalfi, Spice & Wood, Sublime Vanille, and Original Cologne. If you have not tried these, I urge you to try them. Personally, I find their quality to be incredible - as do most people who try them. Smell them yourself and look at the reviews -- I doubt anyone could make the case that they just slapped something together and released it knowing that people would buy it because of the past success of Aventus or GIT.

If you bash a house, and only point out one or two duds - that does not make your point that they are overrated, but actually makes the point that they are not. Personally, I can't stand MI, Baie de Genievre, or Vintage Tabarome. But there are 5 times that many that I love.

I don't care if Adam & Eve Creed started the company by making their fine millesime products by carefully tending to their Garden of Eden, or if they were started by an auto mechanic in his garage 40 years ago... Smells the same to me - and the compliments from others are by people who never heard of Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I would agree with you... but I don't think I have yet seen anyone (on Basenotes) say that Creed is perfect and they do no wrong.

Quite the opposite - the vast majority of people who see Creed in purely Black/White terms are the haters - and usually it isn't to insult their fragrances, but their marketing (which I am yet to have ever seen personally), or their prices (which are not the highest in the industry despite what the haters would have us think).

If you bash a house, and only point out one or two duds - that does not make your point that they are overrated, but actually makes the point that they are not. Personally, I can't stand MI, Baie de Genievre, or Vintage Tabarome. But there are 5 times that many that I love.

I don't care if Adam & Eve Creed started the company by making their fine millesime products by carefully tending to their Garden of Eden, or if they were started by an auto mechanic in his garage 40 years ago... Smells the same to me - and the compliments from others are by people who never heard of Creed.
    I DON"T HATE THE HOUSE!! I believe it has its merits...I don't care about their history (or faux history) I have tried probably half, and like almost all I have tried. I own GIT, Aventus, OV, and handfuls of samples of others. BUT the incessant cheerleaders who praise every offering above others...the OP said it was PEERLESS for gosh sakes!!!! Like no other house is any good! Just keep it in perspective, admit to its faults (Batch variations, squeaky sprayers, tops that don't fit, labels that peel off) and we all will be fine. I think the "Haters" among us don't really hate Creed, just the freaking worship.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    BUT the incessant cheerleaders who praise every offering above others...the OP said it was PEERLESS for gosh sakes!!!!
    Actually, that wasn't the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Yeah, Creed has both innovated a lot and copied. But in the end, their quality is peerless.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

This thread has really moved away from what the original post is about; namely the potential correlation between some of the earlier Creeds and some older 'classic' perfumes. Although I can see the argument as far as Royal English Leather and Royal Scottish Lavender go, I think the links between Bois de Santal (Creed) and Bois des Iles (Chanel) and Cuir de Russie (Creed) and Cuir de Russie (Chanel) are much more tenuous. (My view is that Bois de Santal is more reminiscent of Jicky and, unfortunately, I've never come across anything that reminded me of Creed's Cuir de Russie.) The original post is interesting, and has made me want to try Green Water and Fleurs de Cedrat!

I should add, too, that apart from the tenuous links pointed out in the post above me, Bois de Cedrat is more or less a pure lemon/woodsy scent (mostly pure lemon). There were lots of lemons before it, not just the Guerlain pointed out in the original post; and lots after it. Just becasue Bois de Cedrat is lemon doesn't make it a copy, any more than Eau d'Hadrien would be.

And didn't Orange Spice predate Kouros? If so, that makes two of the ones identified by the op that actually spawned better known copies, not vice-versa (Orange Spice and GIT).

Oh, and for Orange Spice/Kouros, check out this thread:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/246...it-with-Kouros
    Last edited by barclaydetolly; 5th March 2013 at 10:02 PM.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Is Cuir de Russie easily available ? I have a sample of it and like it, but I have not really read too much about it on the forum. Is it hard to come by ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

If the buying public feels that the mystique is crap and prices are not justified....why are they still around?
    Business 101 - if you give something away there is no perceived value. Don't fault them for clever
    marketing b.s.

Creed does not submit propaganda via Esquire or GQ...and the fact that they don't and still sell 300 dollar
    bottles of cologne is amazing - especially in the volume that they do.

People have suspected that there are Creed reps in these forums. I am not one of them, but if I were in
    the Creed hierarchy, I would absolutely mandate it.

Oh, and their products smell nice.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Don't forget Aventus copying Fresco!

Quote Originally Posted by SirSmells View Post
    Don't forget Aventus copying Fresco!
    They didn't do a very good job of it. You'd think that with all of the experience at Creed, they could have made Aventus smell closer to Fresco. I guess they're peerless, but not perfect. (...lol...)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    They didn't do a very good job of it. You'd think that with all of the experience at Creed, they could have made Aventus smell closer to Fresco. I guess they're peerless, but not perfect. (...lol...)
    They probably just copied a bad batch of Fresco. Oh well.

I think Orange Spice vastly superior to Kouros. Kouros came out in 1981, it is about the same time as Orange Spice, though no one knows for sure what year it was released--officially 1950, but unofficially is a different story.

Bumping this to make sure there is a Creed thread in the top ten.

CologneFan85

F Fresco! Horrid

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    their quality is peerless.
    Their quality for fresh scents can be argued both ways, however, Creed hasn't used every ingredient out there to make any argument that Creed is the best for their quality overall. You can't compare Creed to a house like Amouage in terms of ingredient quality. How do you compare Creed's Frankincense to Amouage's Frankincense? Creed doesn't use Frankincense. It just doesn't work out to say Creed is peerless in terms of quality.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dukecity View Post
    Bumping this to make sure there is a Creed thread in the top ten.
    Excellent work me boy.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    F Fresco! Horrid
    THIS!!! ...but it makes for a good punchline.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I think Orange Spice vastly superior to Kouros. Kouros came out in 1981, it is about the same time as Orange Spice, though no one knows for sure what year it was released--officially 1950, but unofficially is a different story.
    I agree. I really enjoy Orange Spice. Totally enjoyable fragrance to wear. Classic and gentleman like in its smell.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I agree. I really enjoy Orange Spice. Totally enjoyable fragrance to wear. Classic and gentleman like in its smell.
    Count me in as another big fan of Orange Spice. Amazing juice.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Green Irish Tweed: Cool Water
    For the record, Green Irish Tweed came out before Cool Water. Pierre Bourdon rehashed the former's structure into the latter.

I'm not necessarily a Creed fanatic, but I decided to stick with them because they happened to be the first quality perfume house that I stumbled upon. To me, it's like looking long and hard for a good daycare center for your kid. When you finally find one, you're probably not going to keep looking. I just don't have the time to explore the many other fine perfume houses that I'm sure are out there.

Actually, I dislike the vast majority of Creed fragrances, not because they're bad, but because I'm too darn picky. Anything can make me rule out a fragrance - if it's familiar, if it's out of style, if it doesn't match my age, if it's too aggressive, if my wife doesn't approve, if it has certain notes that my brain is allergic to, if it reminds me of someone or some place or some memory that I don't like.. Just too many reasons to hate a frag. I'm the guy spending 30+ minutes at the cologne bar sniffing only to leave empty handed. I can only keep 2 masculine colognes and 2 unisex ones in my wardrobe simply because I don't have the time or energy to pick out any more.

I have SMW and recently decided to get Spice and Wood. My two remaining bottles (not Creeds) are almost out so I'm sticking to Creed for now, trying their samples to see if they can fill those 2 open spots. I received 9 Creed samples in the mail lately and tried 4 others at a perfume bar. Didn't like any. Several more Creed samples are coming in the mail. I will move on to another fragrance house if I cannot find my 4 frags with Creed.

I have tried Aventus mixed with Virgin Island Water. That just might be my new "masculine" scent but I'll see if another single Creed fragrance is to my liking before paying for two bottles just to use them as one frag.
    Last edited by Justin Case; 9th March 2013 at 05:00 PM.