Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Got my First Comment (complaint) today. Funny Story

So I had a dermatologist appointment today and decided to wear Le 3 Homme. I applied it right after a shower to my chest, neck and wrist. I let it sit in for about an hour before I head out to my appointment. When I walk into the Dermatologist office it was like I was walking into a retirement home. Wow never seen this many elderly people there before. My son went to play in the play area and I sat about 6 chairs away from this lady and her husband. I was there no more than 5 mins before the complaints started. She started by telling her husband very loudly that she liked her other Derm because people were not allowed to wear perfume. Then she told him again loudly "She must of took a bath in perfume". Then she said "the perfume was cutting thru her like a Sword" Lol lol She didn't know it was me and kept looking around at all the woman in the room as she made her comments. As my name was called I had to walk by her and knew she would know it was me. So I look down at my Son (4years old) and said "Christian were you playing with Mommies Perfume again!" He just look up at me and shrugged his shoulders. So my son took one for the team today Lol lol.
    Smelling Good on a Budget!

Default Re: Got my First Comment (complaint) today. Funny Story

There's no pleasing some people! You'd think it would have made a nice change from the smell of disinfectant... lol
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

The longevity and projection of classic frags (Caron or otherwise) is a nearly unlimited source of surprises, plus, what seems to be an undeniably masculine scent to some, may be perceived as even slightly feminine by others (or vice-versa).

It seems fragrance and the comments (both positive and negative) thus garnered are an endless journey.

Basenotes Plus

You owe your son one!

While I believe in everyone's right to wear fragrance wherever one wants, I personally don't think I would ever wear fragrance for a doctor's visit.

Lmao. Hit chest and neck. Wrists are not necessary. 2 sprays max.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    There's no pleasing some people! You'd think it would have made a nice change from the smell of disinfectant... lol
    I agree! Maybe butterscotch would of been a better fragrance

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    The longevity and projection of classic frags (Caron or otherwise) is a nearly unlimited source of surprises, plus, what seems to be an undeniably masculine scent to some, may be perceived as even slightly feminine by others (or vice-versa).

It seems fragrance and the comments (both positive and negative) thus garnered are an endless journey.
    Very true and well said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    You owe your son one!

Yea he got a kid cuisine out of it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    While I believe in everyone's right to wear fragrance wherever one wants, I personally don't think I would ever wear fragrance for a doctor's visit.
    Believe me its a lesson learned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Lmao. Hit chest and neck. Wrists are not necessary. 2 sprays max.
    I didn't realize how strong Le 3 Homme was. I have a new found respect for it.

People do like to complain, and will complain at any opportunity. However, visiting a dermatologist while wearing scent is practically inviting complaints.

My mother, slowly fading from Alzheimer's, resides in a nursing home where there is a no scent policy. The policy is, of course, forever being broken by visitors in the boldest ways, as I can practically track some visitors down halls, up elevators, around corners, all without me seeing them. Talk about sillage! I myself break it, but only for one occasion: I wear one small spritz of Bois d'Encens on my left wrist when I take her to Mass on Sundays (nothing on other days). She sits on my left, holding my left hand, and brings it up to her cheek gently kissing it and holding it against her. Bois d'Encens is not a big projector at any time (it's virtually undetectable even to me in such a small quantity), so it's my special, private gift to her--the smell of solemnity, of ritual worship and holy awe. I've tried several other scents, but only it and Montale's Full Incense elicit that particular response from her--she just loves the "churchy" smell. Full Incense I also love, but it, like all Montales, PROJECTS LOUDLY, and I'd rather share the gift of incense with her very, very discreetly.

Great story....
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by impdaddee View Post
    People do like to complain, and will complain at any opportunity. However, visiting a dermatologist while wearing scent is practically inviting complaints.

My mother, slowly fading from Alzheimer's, resides in a nursing home where there is a no scent policy. The policy is, of course, forever being broken by visitors in the boldest ways, as I can practically track some visitors down halls, up elevators, around corners, all without me seeing them. Talk about sillage! I myself break it, but only for one occasion: I wear one small spritz of Bois d'Encens on my left wrist when I take her to Mass on Sundays (nothing on other days). She sits on my left, holding my left hand, and brings it up to her cheek gently kissing it and holding it against her. Bois d'Encens is not a big projector at any time (it's virtually undetectable even to me in such a small quantity), so it's my special, private gift to her--the smell of solemnity, of ritual worship and holy awe. I've tried several other scents, but only it and Montale's Full Incense elicit that particular response from her--she just loves the "churchy" smell. Full Incense I also love, but it, like all Montales, PROJECTS LOUDLY, and I'd rather share the gift of incense with her very, very discreetly.
    That's beautiful.

Poor kid.

for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

That was quick thinking on your part. Even quicker for your son with that impromptu shrug. Seriously kids are so intuitive...but somehow they grow a little 'dumber' in that respect as they get older. Well, did you reward your son?

Funnily enough I was wearing the same fragrance the other day when picking up some prescriptions, and the woman behind the counter wanted to know what I was wearing. She thought it was very nice, and I agree. I never have a problem when it comes to wearing scents at the doctors or in any other places like that. I was wearing two-and-a-half sprays or therabouts under my shirt, and (this is what I usually aim for outside of certain situations) rather than giving me a cloud or contigous aura it was projecting in wafts as I moved. Even if someone hates a scent they're less likely to complain about the odd isolated waft than a continous presence. The latter can be problematic even if they like a scent in the event that someone is allergic or simply feels its bad manners/inapropriate.

There are many people out there who simply enjoy policing the world, and while they may not dislike a scent or be allergic they'll crusade for those that might be.

I own fragrances than can, and do garner complaints of course. Stuff like BAV (this one lingers big time even after you leave a room) Sables, Bandit and other big fragrances, whether complex or loud, or those with very polarizing facets such as raw animalic notes, heady sweet notes, or stuff like oud, immortelle, tuberose and so on that drive some people crazy.

To avoid offending anyone (which is generally the aim outside certain social situations) and especially if I'm going to be sharing space with people and need to be respectful of the seemingly ubiquitous 'perfume allergy,' there are many different things I've tried. Of course picking the right scent is a start but showing restraint is also important. Keep it under the clothes and let it settle before leaving the house as fragrances generally project less as they dry down. Certain concentrations will project less (some parfums, EDPs or oils as opposed to EDTs, and most EDCs after the initial burst) and sometimes dabbing or using a roll-on can really help something stay close to the skin while also giving you more control over how much you apply. Even something as simple as wearing a shirt which is not composed of fabric that breathes readily can really help in allowing you to enjoy your scent while keeping it from bothering others.

There are also many things you can use to tame or smother a scent such as applying certain skin lotions or using a dry hand sanitiser. It's a simple enough matter to spend a few dollars on something portable like this so that you can do something about it if your fragrance is causing problems. I also find these sort of things indispensable when I test in a store as I can spray on a fragrance, leave and think about it and then kill it and return to test another.

There are also some incredibly polite fragrances with elegant sillage and compositions which will rarely offend at every price-point and these are often (sadly) overlooked in favor or those with big sillage/longevity which seem like better value. Also many fragrances have ancillery products like aftershaves, deoderants or body creams which can be used solo when discretion is key.

I try to be careful b/c I don't like to offend others, but I do HATE people who whine, cry, complain loudly about a hint of smell. They are usually the ones who bathe in Bath and Body Works shower gel, swim in a vat of B&BW scented lotion, and then complain about other's $300 parfum!!! When I am going to be in a large group, I go with a light Penhaligon's or some other very light scent.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    That was quick thinking on your part. Even quicker for your son with that impromptu shrug. Seriously kids are so intuitive...but somehow they grow a little 'dumber' in that respect as they get older. Well, did you reward your son?
    Yea he got a kid Cuisine out of it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    I try to be careful b/c I don't like to offend others, but I do HATE people who whine, cry, complain loudly about a hint of smell. They are usually the ones who bathe in Bath and Body Works shower gel, swim in a vat of B&BW scented lotion, and then complain about other's $300 parfum!!! When I am going to be in a large group, I go with a light Penhaligon's or some other very light scent.
    I thought it was kind of funny the way she was complaining and wasn't offended. She was very old with a Deep Southern accent. You had to be there it was really funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    Funnily enough I was wearing the same fragrance the other day when picking up some prescriptions, and the woman behind the counter wanted to know what I was wearing. She thought it was very nice, and I agree. I never have a problem when it comes to wearing scents at the doctors or in any other places like that. I was wearing two-and-a-half sprays or therabouts under my shirt, and (this is what I usually aim for outside of certain situations) rather than giving me a cloud or contigous aura it was projecting in wafts as I moved. Even if someone hates a scent they're less likely to complain about the odd isolated waft than a continous presence. The latter can be problematic even if they like a scent in the event that someone is allergic or simply feels its bad manners/inapropriate.

There are many people out there who simply enjoy policing the world, and while they may not dislike a scent or be allergic they'll crusade for those that might be.

I own fragrances than can, and do garner complaints of course. Stuff like BAV (this one lingers big time even after you leave a room) Sables, Bandit and other big fragrances, whether complex or loud, or those with very polarizing facets such as raw animalic notes, heady sweet notes, or stuff like oud, immortelle, tuberose and so on that drive some people crazy.

To avoid offending anyone (which is generally the aim outside certain social situations) and especially if I'm going to be sharing space with people and need to be respectful of the seemingly ubiquitous 'perfume allergy,' there are many different things I've tried. Of course picking the right scent is a start but showing restraint is also important. Keep it under the clothes and let it settle before leaving the house as fragrances generally project less as they dry down. Certain concentrations will project less (some parfums, EDPs or oils as opposed to EDTs, and most EDCs after the initial burst) and sometimes dabbing or using a roll-on can really help something stay close to the skin while also giving you more control over how much you apply. Even something as simple as wearing a shirt which is not composed of fabric that breathes readily can really help in allowing you to enjoy your scent while keeping it from bothering others.

There are also many things you can use to tame or smother a scent such as applying certain skin lotions or using a dry hand sanitiser. It's a simple enough matter to spend a few dollars on something portable like this so that you can do something about it if your fragrance is causing problems. I also find these sort of things indispensable when I test in a store as I can spray on a fragrance, leave and think about it and then kill it and return to test another.

There are also some incredibly polite fragrances with elegant sillage and compositions which will rarely offend at every price-point and these are often (sadly) overlooked in favor or those with big sillage/longevity which seem like better value. Also many fragrances have ancillery products like aftershaves, deoderants or body creams which can be used solo when discretion is key.
    Those are some really good tips thank you. I just picked up about 80% of my wardrobe and still haven't learned how strong most of them are. I did learn that Caron The Third Man is a Beast! I am starting to become a real fan of that house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Poor kid.
    Lol lol

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by impdaddee View Post
    I think this is the nicest thing I've read in ages

Le Mao!

Its kind of a tough situation though. A confined area, its almost like forcing your scent on someone. Personally, i think its BS. And if she wasn't elderly, i would have told her to take a walk. How many times have you been stuck somewhere with someone and they have bad breath, or horrible B.O.?

I am a bit sympathetic though. I used to go to this hobby shop from when i was a kid, to about 15 years old. The owner loved me. I grew out of model cars and stopped going. Then when i was about 25 years old, i wanted to buy a gift for someone, and i thought of this shop. I go to the shop, open the door, take one step inside...and here comes the owner VIOLENTLY coughing and waving his arms.

I freaked out! I thought he was having a heart attack! He was motioning for me to get out, but i wanted to help him.

Finally he started pointing to a sign. the sign read something like "I am battling xxxx disease, if you are wearing perfume or deodorant DO NOT ENTER".

I felt F'ing terrible when i read the sign.

Some people though, like the old lady in the OP are just dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This

I used to be in a relationship with a woman who wore Poison and Rive Gauche simultaneously ('96 vintage). She would almost pour it over herself. We broke up and a few months later I was in a local pub and this cloud of unmistakable scent enveloped the whole room. I knew immediately who it was and turned just in time to see her disappear from view, about 9 ft away. Even in a pub about 70% full she took it over. After 5 minutes, it was the only smell in the room. She could get away with it as she was very charismatic, attractive and Italian. Wearing L'Egoiste the other day really reminded me of her.

Great stories here
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----