Code of Conduct

Thread: Pure Coffee

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Pure Coffee

im curious. what does it smell like?

ive tried the other mugler products.

angel men is great, but the opening is harsh
    pure malt is great, but i dont think it's as wearable (and it goes fickle on my skin)
    pure shot is just alright.
    and pure havane, to me, is just nasty.

is pure coffee mainly coffee or do other notes dominate over it?

would you recommend it?

Default Re: Pure Coffee

To my nose it smells like more chocolatey version of A*Men without tar and opening is even more chaotic than A*Men. IMO not worth its ebay price. I am not sure I would buy it even for normal retail price. If you can, try to get sample but do not blind buy it.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Banned
    Blog Entries

im hearing bad comments too. i may just look elsewhere for coffee scents and stick with the original AMEn

I just wear the women's Angel!

Opens with an awesome coffee smell. Then that goes away and you're left with Pure Leather

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    im hearing bad comments too. i may just look elsewhere for coffee scents and stick with the original AMEn
    I wouldn't bother since you have New Haarlem which has a superior coffee note. I don't know if you've ever tried A*men Taste of Fragrance, but it has coffee in it and is pretty unique. PM me if you want a sample.

I find this release quite pleasant on my skin. I do manage to detect the coffee in this one.

I think Pure Coffee is just nasty and harsh (but I do enjoy Pure Havane and, to a lesser extent, Pure Malt).

It has the typical A*Men tarry, burnt rubbery opening, made even harsher by an acidic coffee undertone.

Even if it were sold at regular retail prices I wouldn't buy it. Give it a try, of course, but to me its one of those overhyped discontinued fragrances that seem to get lots of discussion.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Never tried it. Tried all the others. More than likely hype will bring it out again.

Basenotes Member

it'd be nice if this was re-introduced. what with pure shot flopping and being pulled from the shelves it would make a nice placeholder until something new is launched. its the only "pure" i'm missing so would be great even for collection purposes!

I agree with several others here. I have a decant of Pure Coffee and it's ok, but nothing to write home about. It smells like regular A*Men with a stale, musky type coffee note for the first few minutes. I don't find it a very realistic coffee note (especially if u are looking for roasted coffee beans). The coffee note smells more like acidic, old brewed coffee that's been left in the bottom of the pot on a warmer for awhile. More like gas station coffee than any kind of aromatic, roasted coffee bean.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Never tried it. Tried all the others. More than likely hype will bring it out again.
    I'm betting your right, I expect it will be rereleased like the others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RyanT View Post
    Opens with an awesome coffee smell. Then that goes away and you're left with Pure Leather
    Really, Pure Leather? Anyone else get this? I like all the flankers but Pure Leather. So does Pure Coffee have anise going on?

It smells like coffee. Much more than either Rochas Man or New Haarlem do.

pure malt is great, but I dont think it's as wearable
    YOu might like Pure Coffee, as our A*men tastes seem opposite.

I love Pure Havane waaaaay more than any A*men flanker, I also like Taste of Fragrance.

I dislike Pure Malt, Pure Leather, and Pure Coffee. Pure coffee is alot of coffee up top, but when it dries, it's alot like A*men without the overt tar and without the plasticy notes. The coffee is not a dominant note in the drydown, but no "coffee scent" really has dominant coffee in the base. they all go syrupy sweet, or vanilla, cocoa, or woody. So the drydown of pure coffee is probably still closer than the overly corn syrup-laden New Haarlem.

Banned
    Blog Entries

imo taste of fragrance is a hands down better than pure coffee. semi sweet coffee not with spicy pepper background. just delicious!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    I agree with several others here. I have a decant of Pure Coffee and it's ok, but nothing to write home about. It smells like regular A*Men with a stale, musky type coffee note for the first few minutes. I don't find it a very realistic coffee note (especially if u are looking for roasted coffee beans). The coffee note smells more like acidic, old brewed coffee that's been left in the bottom of the pot on a warmer for awhile. More like gas station coffee than any kind of aromatic, roasted coffee bean.
    I just pulled out my sample (a decant from TPC I bought about a year ago), and this is EXACTLY spot on, to my nose.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I like Pure Malt, Coffee and Leather equally and own all of them. They are offer something a little different.

I hate Angel Men. To me it's just nasty tar for 5 or 6 hours too many before turning into a halfway palatable fragrance.

I'm also not a fan of Havane.

Sounds like our tastes might be similar so I'd check out Pure Coffee. As someone else said the coffee note is stronger than that in Rochas Man or New Haarlem. That being said it doesn't necessarily mean you'll like it more. Overall to me it's a coffee, carmel/chocolate, musk scent.

im curious. what does it smell like?

ive tried the other mugler products.

pure malt is great, but i dont think it's as wearable (and it goes fickle on my skin)

is pure coffee mainly coffee or do other notes dominate over it?

would you recommend it?
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

At the moment, Pure Coffee, Pure Havane, and Taste of Fragrance are the three A*Men flankers I really like. IMO Pure Coffee is one of the few designer fragrances that can pass off as niche. I pretty much get french vanilla coffee throughout and it smells pretty natural. Only down side is that the longevity isn't too good. I really wish they'd re-release it though.

I can't think of a better coffee fragrance. I've heard people mention New Haarlem, but I don't get any coffee in that at all. I only get maple syrup.

Replace the A*Men tar note with coffee, and you basically have the opening. To me, the dry down is more patchouli-focused than the others.

It's lousy, and it's easily the worst of the Amen range. BrianH1016 pretty accurately described it, as the coffee note (what little there is) is just stale, cheap coffee smell. It basically smells like sitting in a lousy, low-end patisserie. Taste of Fragrance is a much better coffee-esque scent.

I don't get coffee at all, but I love the drydown.

I was pretty disappointed with this was too much like the original with a good but ephemeral coffee blast. I get the coffee from it more than I do from New Harleem (maple syrup) and Rochas (alright scent but I don't get any coffee). I hadn't heard Taste of Fragrance had a good coffee vibe, shame might have tried to acquire some.

I don't think anything will top Pure Malt from this line, followed by Pure Havane.

Any other nice coffe/latte' alternatives?
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Fans of gourmands with coffee note, please do check out Yohji Homme. In my humble opinion it is vastly superior gourmand compared to the most well known and hyped ones of the genre; that is, New Haarlem, A*Men & the variations, Rochas Man etc.

IMO Pure Coffee is the best out of the whole line, the reason why it gets so much hate is because when people pay the high price they expect something amazing! It's just like the issue with DHI vintage and reformulation. When people pay that $200+ price tag they are not fully satisfied because it smells almost identical to the reformulation. However, with Pure Coffee it's more chocolatey and heavy with the coffee note and less of that harsh note that most people don't enjoy. I get more compliments with PC then any of the other TM. Is it worth as much as Tom Ford and Creed, Yes because it is very unique and last for very long. I have back ups and thinking of getting rid of a few bottles.

Pure Coffee has the woodiest dry-down of the Muglers