Code of Conduct

Default So what do I get? :2vrolijk_08:

Hey guys, I need advice in picking up a good fragrance that I can grow into, the problem is we don't have samples down here so it was most probably be a blind buy for me, in a sense.

The upside is that I have around 150$ and I'm able to get my hands on several niche frags (Creed, Tom Ford, Bond and maybe some other big names) for a around 110-120$. That being said I'd like a great scent that I can get from either designer or niche house. If it helps my current frags are listed below according to my love for them:

1. Dior Homme Intense (vintage)
    2. YSL M7 (original)
    3. YSL la nuit (can be interchangeable with M7)
    4. Burberry London
    5. Spicebomb
    6. Terre d'Hermes
    7. Cigar
    8. Encre Noir (least used till now)

I would love to be directed towards fragrances that are being used by you guys.
    I'm looking for a scent that can dethrone DHI from my list ( and I'd appreciate if some haters of DHI would actually help find me a good frag, rather than just rage around about it). Thank you in advance.

Default Re: So what do I get? :2vrolijk_08:

Hommage A L'Homme by Lalique might work.

L' Instant Extreme.

Diptyque Volutes
    Carner Barcelona D600
    Dior Bois d'Argent

Any of these 3 would fit nicely into your collection.

Basenotes Plus

Santos

You seem to like some classics. My suggestions for things to look into would be:
    Etat Libre d'Orange Je suis un homme: it is a very classical citrus-woody incense, it should be ok if you are fine with clean incenses. Broadly speaking, it is in the same style as Guerlain Derby (which is more leathery though, and which I would have recommended as well, except that it is above the price limit). The ELDO should be $95 for 50ml.
    Knize Ten: this is also as classic as it gets, but it is a butch leather, so you should be comfortable with that. For this reason, I am less inclined to recommend it as a blind buy.
    Caron Troisieme homme: here I'm thinking for something that gives a similar vibe to DHI. Troisieme is completely different, but it does have the combination of floral-barbershop-musk of DHI. It doesn't have the coffee of DHI, instead it has some sort of light woody licorice and sweet citrus. Again, a classic but perhaps not a blind buy.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Hommage A L'Homme by Lalique might work.
    Thanks bro, btw what kind of vibe does it give?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    L' Instant Extreme.
    This was actually in my mind, will try it out, thanks mate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Diptyque Volutes
    Carner Barcelona D600
    Dior Bois d'Argent

Any of these 3 would fit nicely into your collection.
    You make me wanna get all three xD I'm don't mind doing that though, thanks for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Santos
    May I know the full name please, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    You seem to like some classics. My suggestions for things to look into would be:
    Etat Libre d'Orange Je suis un homme: it is a very classical citrus-woody incense, it should be ok if you are fine with clean incenses. Broadly speaking, it is in the same style as Guerlain Derby (which is more leathery though, and which I would have recommended as well, except that it is above the price limit). The ELDO should be $95 for 50ml.
    Knize Ten: this is also as classic as it gets, but it is a butch leather, so you should be comfortable with that. For this reason, I am less inclined to recommend it as a blind buy.
    Caron Troisieme homme: here I'm thinking for something that gives a similar vibe to DHI. Troisieme is completely different, but it does have the combination of floral-barbershop-musk of DHI. It doesn't have the coffee of DHI, instead it has some sort of light woody licorice and sweet citrus. Again, a classic but perhaps not a blind buy.

cacio

Thanks for taking time out to explain with detail, I'm grateful for that, I'd try to get some sprays on a paper for that evolution of the fragrance, just wanted to ask that is the citrus similar in vibe to tdh? Because tdh is too orange for me. And if I can get derby for around 115$ is it a good blind buy? Just asking because it's like I got a link in grey market, and he gets things at low prices for me than the usual retail. So what may be high in regular retail, may be affordable for me. I had GIT and Aventus in my mind too, should I give them a go too?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by craniumbash View Post

May I know the full name please, thank you.
    That is the full name.

http://www.basenotes.net/bn_search.p...-918&sa.y=-206

Made by Cartier.

The citrus in the ELdO or Derby is not very orangey, it's more like a citrus rind, but very subdued. Unlike Terre d'Hermes, these are not citrusy frags, they are woody-leathery with a touch of citrus up top. Derby for that price sounds like a steal, it usually goes for twice as much as that.

I'm not a fan of Creed, but it has many estimators here. GIT is in the style of cool water, but richer and more complex. Aventus is lighter, pineapple incensey.

cacio

Banned
    Blog Entries

Finding a fragrance better than Dior Homme Intense is a tall order.

<<Insert obligatory gibberish about advising against blind buying here>>

Amyris Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian may be something to consider. It has a bubblegum sweetness like Spicebomb, but in a more refined "gentlemanly" way. It also has a large does of iris in it, so, if you like DHI, you may find some enjoyment in this also.

A very underrated fragrance IMO.

Overcome By Fumes

Opium pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    That is the full name.

http://www.basenotes.net/bn_search.p...-918&sa.y=-206

Made by Cartier.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Opium pour Homme
    Ooooo I heard a lot about it, is it good at projection?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The citrus in the ELdO or Derby is not very orangey, it's more like a citrus rind, but very subdued. Unlike Terre d'Hermes, these are not citrusy frags, they are woody-leathery with a touch of citrus up top. Derby for that price sounds like a steal, it usually goes for twice as much as that.

I'm not a fan of Creed, but it has many estimators here. GIT is in the style of cool water, but richer and more complex. Aventus is lighter, pineapple incensey.

cacio
    The way you describe it, I want to find derby ASAP!!!, btw is jicky available nowadays?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Finding a fragrance better than Dior Homme Intense is a tall order.
    True, I kind of go discouraged about the hype of some other frags after sniffing them since the day I bought DHI, the only thing that gets its off the throne for me is pure deer musk which I got from my grandfather, which is too expensive to look at, let alone wear it around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    <<Insert obligatory gibberish about advising against blind buying here>>

Amyris Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian may be something to consider. It has a bubblegum sweetness like Spicebomb, but in a more refined "gentlemanly" way. It also has a large does of iris in it, so, if you like DHI, you may find some enjoyment in this also.

A very underrated fragrance IMO.
    I've tried my friend's bottle, it smells good on him but does not work with my personality tried to work with it several times till a friend said I smell weird, gives me a vibe as SMW, maybe that's just my nose acting up. We revisit it again this month, hopefully it would work out.

Try Thierry Mugler Pure Havane and LIDGE.

+3 Lidge
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Many recommendations for LIDGE, have to try it now, on a second thought, how about LADDM ? is it worth getting a bottle of it ?

Try Tobacco Vanille. Easy sell if you don't like it.

...how about LADDM ? is it worth getting a bottle of it ?
    Yes, most definitely.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Many recommendations for LIDGE, have to try it now, on a second thought, how about LADDM ? is it worth getting a bottle of it ?
    LADDM from Tauer is a great scent. Have it and use it. Its a warm spicy scent that is not overpowering to me. Definitely worth a sample. BTW he has a nice sampling program available on his site.

Happy sniffing
    Rex
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

thanks guys