Code of Conduct

Thread: Slumberhouse

Default Slumberhouse

Anyone have experience with this house? I just stumbled across Norne and was blown away. I like pine, and this is dark spooky pine. Kind of expensive for just 30mls...any thoughts on the house?

Default Re: Slumberhouse

There is a whole 8 page thread on the house: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273...berhouse/page8

Personally, I love the house, and really like Josh (I'm friends with him). I'm placing an order for Pear and Olive and Norne soon.

Please use the search function, there is already a thread with 400+ replies.

Basenotes Plus

The search feature is your friend.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273218-Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Personally, I love the house, and really like Josh (I'm friends with him).
    How did you guys become friends?

Really like Norne.

Quote Originally Posted by null set View Post
    Please use the search function, there is already a thread with 400+ replies.

Why do you care? Seriously?

There's like a thousand threads on Aventus, DHI, LIDGE and Pure Malt and you're busting this guy's balls about making a Slumberhouse thread...knock it off.

Anyway, to the OP: Norne is awesome! I was really excited the first time I tried it a several months ago and it's become one of my favorites. I happened to wear it yesterday--1 spray--amazing.

Pear + Olive is also great. Truly unique and just a beautiful smell.

I also just got a bottle of Ore (very interesting, chocolate, burnt caramel balsamic kind of smell, look forward to wearing it) and am considering SOVA.

Customer service is top notch and they have a great sample pack you can order (I recommend ordering one and then deciding).

Enjoy!

Personally not a fan of this house based on the ones I have tried.

Dependent

Josh is an interesting perfumer with very distinctive house accord. I like recently-discontinued Vikt the best.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

There's like a thousand threads on Aventus, DHI, LIDGE and Pure Malt and you're busting this guy's balls about making a Slumberhouse thread...knock it off.
    Thank you for saying this...I was thinking the same thing and was going to say something but you beat me to it. I've seen many threads about many fragrances repeated over and over and I think it's cool that there are new threads about the same frags because each thread has a feel and an attitude of it's own. I feel like those threads that have multiple pages seem to get a little stale and follow the same kind of theme, so I think that multiple threads of the same frag bring out a different side and opinion of the frag...does that even make sense. I really do think that the slumberhouse thread is a great one, and I would recommend reading through it, but this is a welcome thread also.

I love Slumberhouse....I don't love all the frags, but I love the everything that Josh is accomplishing in fragrances. He has a very unique approach and I love that.
    Norne is a true masterpiece in my opinion!! It is complex, dark, realistic and fantastic. It's hand's down my favorite pine/forest frag. Amazing!!
    Pear + Olive Is amazing also!! Some say that they don't get much of the olive in it, but man do I. The olive is fantastic in thei frag and it compliments the pear perfectly!! It is fresh and warm at the same time. I love the salty sweet combo.
    Grev is not the most loved of the line but I love it. It's got an awesome clove note yet it's fresh and warm at the same time. Great stuff.
    I havn't tried the limited editions, unfortunately...I want to try ore and miel, but I don't know if I'll have that opportunity.

Jeke, while I appreciate it, it's not my favorite, along with Rume, although I do like Rume better than Jeke. And Sova is growing on me. It is definitely a hay centered fragrance, which gets to me a little, but the more I try it the more I like it.

I'm very excited to experience more from the great house of Slumberhouse.

I love this house, and am thrilled that Josh kept Jeke, which is perhaps my favorite in the line. Norne is amazing for all the reasons everyone has stated. I've not found the love for Pear + Olive. It still smells like shampoo to me, but I'll try it again. Another great one that isn't currently available and isn't often discussed is Baque.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally not a fan of this house based on the ones I have tried.
    Agreed, tried a few, while some were good and original, can't say I'd invest in a bottle for the asking price at this point in time.

I have samples of Norne and Pear & Olive. Both are extremely long lasting and as unique as anything I have found.

However, I just don't love either one enough to buy a bottle. But they did earn my respect enough for me to want to try a few other offerings, and to keep my ear out for future releases.

I purchased a bottle of SOVA last week and cannot wait for it to arrive.
    Does SH provide shipping data/tracking number? Which carrier is used?
    {I know SL is a one man show and read the one week shipping data.}
    What really amazes me is the love for Norne. I know the variations of
    different noses/different skin produce a different scent, but Norne smells
    exactly like a bayberry candle on my skin. Interesting but NOT something
    I want to smell like. BUT it is well-composed, I immediately thought of the
    holidays the second I opened the sample vial.
    I LOVE SOVA!
    I smell marshmallows!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    Thank you for saying this...I was thinking the same thing and was going to say something but you beat me to it. I've seen many threads about many fragrances repeated over and over and I think it's cool that there are new threads about the same frags because each thread has a feel and an attitude of it's own. I feel like those threads that have multiple pages seem to get a little stale and follow the same kind of theme, so I think that multiple threads of the same frag bring out a different side and opinion of the frag...does that even make sense. I really do think that the slumberhouse thread is a great one, and I would recommend reading through it, but this is a welcome thread also.
    This is kind of my thinking too. I'm not against new threads about the same stuff over and over. And I'm not against using the search function if it's better for you. And I'm not against anyone who's against me because I'm not against these things. And I'm not against Slumberhouse fragrances, just for the record.

He asks for opinion and there is a thread full of them, that's what the other replies meant. Drama queens.

OnTopic, I think both Norne and Grev are a must try. Too bad Grev is discontinued.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    He asks for opinion and there is a thread full of them, that's what the other replies meant. Drama queens.

OnTopic, I think both Norne and Grev are a must try. Too bad Grev is discontinued.

Brian, I'm not a "drama queen." I thought the reply to the OP was condescending and unnecessary (and it annoyed me) so I spoke up.

Brian, I'm not a "drama queen." I thought the reply to the OP was condescending and unnecessary (and it annoyed me) so I spoke up.
    Because the OP asked for thoughts and experiences; there are many in the thread I indicated. It also occurred to me that the OP is a newly registered user, and might not be aware of the search tool.

I also just got a bottle of Ore (very interesting, chocolate, burnt caramel balsamic kind of smell, look forward to wearing it)

Just out of curiosity, did you get this when it was announced on his Twitter account, or has there been a stealth production?!

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did you get this when it was announced on his Twitter account, or has there been a stealth production?!

Twitter, more or less (I know 'stealth production' is a much more exciting answer, but that was not the case).

To speak a little bit on Ore, to me, it's everything I had hoped 'Coze' by Parfumerie Generale would be, but wasn't. Of course, there's no cannabis note, but I felt Coze lacked a certain depth that was necessary to pull it through the mid and base. In my experience it flattened out pretty quickly. Ore has plenty of depth and the dry down is great. The chocolate note is similar to that in Coze, kind of bitter, unsweetened, but rich. Coze's seems a bit drier. While the two don't smell identical, they're definitely in the same family, and I prefer Ore.

My sample pack arrived yesterday (along with my bottle of Vikt...my collection of Slumberhouse bottles has now doubled in size) and I'm looking forward to trying them all.

Sprayed one spray (more like half a spray) of Pear & Olive when I got home. It was still going pretty strong 4 hours later when I went to bed.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Grev was the starting point for P&O. While they smell markedly different, they still both have this green vinegar-ish base to them. P&O is definitely much better, as this tart smell which is so prominent in Grev is tempered with the sweet grassiness, slight florals and that juicy pear.

I'm gonna need a few more tries of this stuff before I make a final decision, but I completely understand previous reviewers calling it both linear and complex. It's as though the notes swirl about, making it hard to pin one accord down as it repeatedly comes to the fore and then recedes, while the overall smell stays largely constant after the first hour or so.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    For the record, I'm not offended that you said this, but I gotta say that it's a little ironic that you called us Drama Queens, cause I actually felt like I explained it in a way that it wasn't dramatic at all...I could be wrong, but by your reaction, you come across a little drama queeny...just saying.

Slumberhouse is great no matter if you use to search function or start your own thread to talk about it.

My lovely sample pack arrived a few days ago and I've only had time to try out Grev. I find it very refreshing, something I'd wear on a Spring or Summer day, I need to spend more time with it but so far I get a nice clove note that I enjoy. I've been very impressed with the service and the natural feel that is imparted by what I've smelled. I'm looking forward to trying more of the range. The philosophy of the house very much clicks with me.

Thanks to all who came to my defense. I generally do look for previous threads, just was in a hurry and didn't. Considering the 57 "Aventus Batch variations" threads going on at any given time...I thought it sounded harsh as well. ANYWAY...I did read through the past thread, thanks for putting me on to it.

Norne is strange. I loved it upon first application, but last night I applied it, and after a while it got linear and all I smelled was pine/balsam essential oils. I wish it was a bit more complex. I loved the smoky note I got upon first application. Apparently the nose states that he doesn't like or use top notes, so his stuff will be fairly linear. Just wish I got more smoke/frankincense. I had it in my basket to buy from Parfum1, but am going to do another test. I had a test patch of Windsor on my other arm, so all I kept smelling was that bloody awful coconut!!!
    One other thing...I noticed there were a lot of offerings by the house that are out of production. Some sounded intriguing. I guess there are only 4 in current production? Shame, some of the others sounded nice.

I'm personally not a fan of any of the scents, but my fiance and a friend (female) of ours both loved Grev. I promised i'd buy them both bottles whenever Josh starts making them again, if ever :/

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    Thanks to all who came to my defense. I generally do look for previous threads, just was in a hurry and didn't. Considering the 57 "Aventus Batch variations" threads going on at any given time...I thought it sounded harsh as well. ANYWAY...I did read through the past thread, thanks for putting me on to it.

Norne is strange. I loved it upon first application, but last night I applied it, and after a while it got linear and all I smelled was pine/balsam essential oils. I wish it was a bit more complex. I loved the smoky note I got upon first application. Apparently the nose states that he doesn't like or use top notes, so his stuff will be fairly linear. Just wish I got more smoke/frankincense. I had it in my basket to buy from Parfum1, but am going to do another test. I had a test patch of Windsor on my other arm, so all I kept smelling was that bloody awful coconut!!!
    One other thing...I noticed there were a lot of offerings by the house that are out of production. Some sounded intriguing. I guess there are only 4 in current production? Shame, some of the others sounded nice.
    If you buy Norne, I highly suggest you get it directly from Josh's site. It will be fresher juice and most likely the newer, stronger version that is an extrait and not an esprit.

As for Windsor, there is no coconut in it. Maybe you are smelling the eucalyptus/rose combo?

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    If you buy Norne, I highly suggest you get it directly from Josh's site. It will be fresher juice and most likely the newer, stronger version that is an extrait and not an esprit.

As for Windsor, there is no coconut in it. Maybe you are smelling the eucalyptus/rose combo?
    I know there is none listed, BUT I swear it is there...it is the same coconut I smell in cheap suntan oils. I really wanted to like it, I heard HRH Prince Charles "might have" worn it, but it is a scrubber to me.

BTW, Parfum1 currently has all of the recently discontinued ones in stock.