Code of Conduct

Default I think it's ISO E SUPER!

I've been a sniffer for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I told my mom that I could identify people by their smell. She looked at me like I was an alien!! Anyway I would name smells after the people I smelled them. Sometimes it was their perfume and sometimes it was just THEM.

Anyway, there was this smell that I called King (After the lady, Mrs. King who I smelled it on)....and I've wondered for 20 years what the hell it was about her that gave her that smell.

Fast forward to today when my perfumers apprentice shipment came in. I sniff the outside of the vials because the aroma chemicals can be so powerful. When I sniffed the iso-e-super it was just like the smell of Mrs. King. I've been poking around on the interwebs trying to find the year IES came out to verify that YES it was around back then but I can't find the date when the molecule was released.

I will say that Mrs. King also smelled like ambroxan...the two are similar to me.....

All this to ask : Anyone know when Iso E Super came out?

Default Re: I think it's ISO E SUPER!

I don't know the date it was first released, but I can tell you that Arcadi Boix Camps writing in 1978 says:
    Iso E Super is present in many of the masculine and feminine perfumes known worldwide.
    A statement that is still true today.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: the patent for Iso E Super was filed in 1973 in Germany with other patents and trade mark registrations following later. Tresor by Lancomme, produced in 1990 is sometimes credited as the earliest use of an 'overdose' of IES, although Fahrenheit by Dior was released in 1988 and also contained a high dose: that's the earliest one I know but it was certainly in use in lower doses well before that.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Thanks Chris!! You're beyond awesome!

Hmm I haven't yet been able to smell Iso E Super. I've tried putting it on my skin and in a cupboard to smell, the best ive got is a faint wiff of woodyness...

Hi Ambolt,

you could try to dilute it to about 10%, on a blotter, that might work.

Neat trick that almost always works, is combining such scents with vanilla, to reveal itself.
    If you combine it 1:1 with vanilla oil, you most certainly will notice the impact; at least that's my experience.

Your'e welcome to visit my formulation blog, with a dozen of perfume formulations and accords to share!

Quote Originally Posted by jsparla View Post
    Hi Ambolt,

you could try to dilute it to about 10%, on a blotter, that might work.

Neat trick that almost always works, is combining such scents with vanilla, to reveal itself.
    If you combine it 1:1 with vanilla oil, you most certainly will notice the impact; at least that's my experience.
    Thanks for that tip! I will have to give it a try if I find one I can't smell.