Code of Conduct

Default Dark rooty vetiver

I have not smelled many vetiver based fragrances so far but I prefer vetiver to be dark, rooty, with forest like coniferous elements.

So far I tried:

Lalique - Encre Noire - this I like and is almost perfect but I start to be sensitive to ISO E Super, so anything similiar but without shitload of ISO E Super would be nice

L Occitane - Vetyver - I like this one. It is probably darkest of this 4 but doesnt last as long and vetiver is not as strong as in EN

Chanel - Sycomore - I like its spicy face. Its bit brighter than EN and more natural smelling but its price is rather high and sillage could be much better.

Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver - too bright, too boring. To me it smells just like Paul Smith Story which costs fraction of Tom Ford

F Malle - Vetiver Extraordinaire - excellent opening but I dont like drydown

F Malle - French Lover - not pure vetiver scent and I like how green it is but price is also too high and something at middle notes gets on my nerves

Avon - Crisp Forest - this cheapie has nice balance of vetiver and coniferous notes but its rather short lived with low sillage

So is there anything as dark as Encre Noire, wwhich maybe adds some coniferous notes and has good longevity and zero sweetness?
    Last edited by dreamer81; 5th March 2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: edited impression of Sycomore
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Default Re: Dark rooty vetiver

I'd try Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris. It's in the same ballpark as EN, dark and deep, but not so obviously synthetic. I wouldn't call it coniferous, though.

The darkest and rootest vetiver I know and own is the Route du Vetiver from MPG. Mine is vintage and is quite close to the essential oil from Vetiver from Haiti.

I agree with the MPG recommendation and would add Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver.

I recommend trying, (please note it's spelled differently) EAU DE VETYVER from Le Galion.
    Okay, it's discontinued and hard to find, but it does turn up now and again on ebay etc, and when it does it's not that expensive.
    Please have a look at my thread ~ it's very earthy, dark, "beetrooty" and very sexy !
    Last edited by david; 5th March 2013 at 11:28 AM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Vetiver does not get darker/rootier than Sigilli's Athunis, moreso with the added cedar rather than conifers.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

L' Occitane Vetyver as you noted.

I agree with the suggestion of Route du Vetiver.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Fragonard Vetyver

If it really is dark and rooty you're looking for, there's really only one.

Route du.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I'd try Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris. It's in the same ballpark as EN, dark and deep, but not so obviously synthetic. I wouldn't call it coniferous, though.
    This is my favorite vetiver, also happens to be my favorite fragrance bar none. Not super dark and deep maybe but to me perfect. Turtle Vetiver Front and Profumum Fumidus are like straight vetivers and must tries for vetiver lovers. Route Du, so often mentioned is great but it's a dark berry bomb.

Basenotes Plus

For straight up vetiver, doesn't get any better than the LesNez Turtle series. The only one available at this time is Turtle Back.

Norne if you want coniferous, dark, and smoldering. Not really vetiver but you may like it.

Edit
    I just layered Norne and Encre Noir. Try that s***

+1 on Sigilli Athunis, (vintage) Route Du Vetiver and Vetiver Bourbon. I'll add the new Hellstone by Gorilla Perfumes.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I would agree with Route du Vetiver. A great vetiver.

But I think by Kilian Cruel Intentions is darker. That may be worth a try. A great fragrance IMO.

+1 MPG Route de Vetiver
    ETRO Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver Extreme

Basenotes Plus

Yes, +1 on both MPG and Villoresi...and include Etro as well as one that I really like.

To the OP, I too really like Encre Noire, but also find the ISO E Super to be (at times) a bit much. Excellent fragrance for the price. Surprised you didn't find an affinity for Chanel Sycomore.

Good luck in your search - some good suggestions here. Personally, I like a wide range of vetiver and with Spring/Summer upon us, you may enjoy Commes des Garcons Vettiveru as a nice splashed on application. There is a nice base note that blends very well with the rooty vetiver...white cedar. Wonderful composition and great quality ingredients from CdG.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I agree with the MPG recommendation and would add Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Basenotes Plus

+1 on LesNez Turtle Vetiver Back.

Basenotes Member

+1 Route Du Vetiver MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    Norne if you want coniferous, dark, and smoldering. Not really vetiver but you may like it.

Edit
    I just layered Norne and Encre Noir. Try that s***
    Norne is a pine, the "green" note is moss. has nothing whatsoever to do with Vetiver though...

Wow so many great suggestions Thank you guys, keep them coming!
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Basenotes Plus

I will throw you a curveball, dreamer81...while I could suggest Vintage Guerlain Vetiver (and do!), take a different approach entirely.

I mentioned Comme des Garcons Vettiveru - a fantastic Eau de Cologne that is terrific in warm weather and has the white cedar note.

But, re-reading your original post, maybe you should also try Comme des Garcons 2 Man and Comme des Garcons Incense Series: Kyoto. CdG 2 Man has a great vetiver note with nice wood, "white smoke" incense - like a recently blown out candle and aldehydes. Kyoto may be closer to what you want even - fantastic notes of cypress oil, coffee, teak wood, patchouli, amber, cedar, incense and a nice dark vetiver.

So - taking your search into the realm of incense fragrances that, perhaps, incorporate dark, deep vetiver (maybe drier with the incense note). By the way, ISO E Super is in both...but I find more depth in the actual compositions' notes than Encre Noire, which is very heavy in ISO E Super.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Wow so many great suggestions Thank you guys, keep them coming!
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Mona di Orio Vetyver, Etro Vetiter and Athunis Sigilli are some well appointed dark/rooty vetiver i particularly appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    To the OP, I too really like Encre Noire, but also find the ISO E Super to be (at times) a bit much. Excellent fragrance for the price. Surprised you didn't find an affinity for Chanel Sycomore.
    Ericrico I just retried my sample of Sycomore. I dont know if it is old or new version. It smells great but it is rather weak and very close to skin smelling. Its definitely more natural smelling than EN but at its price tag I would expect it to project better (atleast in first few hours).

On the other hand I just sprayed Vetiver Extraordinaire. I know that I loved opening when I tried it last time but was kinda dissapointed with drydown. Maybe I will like it more this time.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Basenotes Plus

Turtle Back: Raw, in-your-face vetiver with just enough roundness along the (very rough) edge.

Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver: Superbly rounded, in-your-face vetiver with just enough rawness.

Or Black is a heavy, smoky vetiver.

+1 on LesNez Turtle Vetiver Back (Had a sample of Front and it was rooty good stuff!) Sure Back is ace too.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    So is there anything as dark as Encre Noire, which maybe adds some coniferous notes and has good longevity and zero sweetness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    Norne is a pine, the "green" note is moss. has nothing whatsoever to do with Vetiver though...
    I never said Norne is Vetiver. I said the OP might like it..

MPG's vintage Route du Vetiver is the rooty-est one that I know. The Villoresi and Etro also bear looking at. Vintage Annick Goutal is also quite powerful although it tends more towards salt and iodine than rooty - and it has limited lasting power.

For earth and roots vetiver try:

Villoresi Vetiver - very earthy and rooty
    Ramon Monegal Umbra - nice vetiver, not too dark, but very good
    Les Nez Turtle Vetiver Front or Back - dark earthy vetivers done well.
    Breath of God by Gorilla Perfumes or Lush although not a true vetiver scent, is reasonably priced and quite earthy with a vetiver finish.

I'd also recommend the vintage formulation of Route de Vetiver by MPG, but it's hard to come by these days. For something a little easier to source, you must try Fumidus by Profumum Roma.

My holy grail vetiver is Eau Sauvage Parfum.

Route du Vetiver (vintage only)
    Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver
    Lush's Hellstone

+ 1 ^^^

Vetiver Bourbon

-1 ^^^

Its not dark & rooty. Its 100% Indian Ocean vetiver. Comparing it or confusing it to South American vetiver would lead you to think its dark and rooty but Indian Ocean vetiver is like this by nature.

For a dark & rooty Indian Ocean vetiver, try these:

Fumidis Profumum
    Chamen's party - Honore de Pres

Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 6th March 2013 at 03:34 AM.

for swap/sale:

Have you tried dark fragrances which have vetiver as an ingredient but it's not the main focus ?

I love vetiver too but I'm not into fresh at the moment. Montale's Dark Aoud has vetiver in it and it feeds my craving for a dark fragrance. Don't know if that is what I've been smelling but the scent is really winning me over.

^^That's a really good suggestion, thinking laterally - Dark Aoud is definitely dark and definitely has vetiver, though the oud provides most of the darkness and the vetiver's function is more to do with warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Have you tried dark fragrances which have vetiver as an ingredient but it's not the main focus ?

I love vetiver too but I'm not into fresh at the moment. Montale's Dark Aoud has vetiver in it and it feeds my craving for a dark fragrance. Don't know if that is what I've been smelling but the scent is really winning me over.
    True...I love Dark Aoud, b/c the vetiver isn't "lush green juicy" like say Creed OV. That stuff is nasty to my nose. My favorite Vetiver is Mona Di Orio's Vetyver, it is dry, gingery, and not lush and green at all.

Profumum Fumidus is one of the scariest things I have ever put on my skin. Personally, I ended up scrubbing it off; but I was feeling very self-conscious because I was at work. Still I think this is worth sampling for the shock factor alone.

I find Givenchy Vetyver rooty, if not particularly dark. Fantastic stuff.

Route du Vetiver would be holy grail material for me, if it weren't for the laundry musk drydown...

+1 on LesNez Turtle Vetiver Back. I'm wearing this a lot lately.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

I just received Turtle Vetiver Back yesterday, and I'm wearing it today. I'll add this as a big PLUS ONE for a fragrance to try if you're into rooty vetivers. As a side note, I just missed the boat on front....I wish I would have know about it a few months ago. I would have gladly purchased that, along with the whole series.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmopolit View Post
    +1 on LesNez Turtle Vetiver Back. I'm wearing this a lot lately.